ADVERTISEMENT

Any of yinz buying the Texas A&M/B1G rumors?

HailToPitt725

May 16, 2016
At first glance, I guess it makes sense for both sides. A&M feels disrespected after Texas got invited to the SEC, and joining the B1G would open up the Texas market for the conference. They’re also an AAU member, so they have that going for them.

At the same time, they’re a much better cultural fit in the SEC (do you really want those pep dudes coming to Happy Valley?) and have several old SWC/Big 12 rivals now on their schedule again. Would they really be willing to leave that to play Illinois, Indiana, and Rutgers?

If that happens, I’d imagine the SEC would be all-in on landing Clemson, Florida State, and North Carolina. Maybe the Big Ten invites Miami to get to an even 20 members?

No, I don't buy it. TAM is a throw money at football and attempt to buy a championship team which does not seem what the B10 would look for in any potential expansion candidates.

Well, they have a pretty neat marching band. I want to see this conference move happen just because it will be super interesting and disruptive to the SEC. It will then become an all out arms race, for better or worse.

Well, they have a pretty neat marching band. I want to see this conference move happen just because it will be super interesting and disruptive to the SEC. It will then become an all out arms race, for better or worse.
You bring up an interesting point. I honestly think Nebraska would be a better fit in the SEC due to the historic rivals they have there (Mizzou, Oklahoma). If A&M bolts for the Big Ten, I could see the SEC looking to make a similar move.

Short answer: nope. Long answer: noooooooope.

I have no doubt the Big 10 would love an "in" into Texas but I don't see A&M leaving the SEC unless something major happens (unlikely). The Big 10 is going to have to settle for one of the smaller programs like TCU, Baylor, Tech, SMU, etc., none of which bring enough to the table financially, or they will just stay out of the state for now.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I don’t see Texas A&M jumping at all. From what I’ve seen this rumor is from Swaim who IIRC was repeatedly wrong through the last few years of conference realignment (but somehow he keeps getting quoted as if he has lots of credibility).

I have no doubt AM is upset Texas now gets the same SEC advantages they do but I don’t see them leaving. I think a lot of their fan base will be glad to get the Texas- A&M rivalry game back as well as the game with Oklahoma.

I don’t see Texas A&M jumping at all. From what I’ve seen this rumor is from Swaim who IIRC was repeatedly wrong through the last few years of conference realignment (but somehow he keeps getting quoted as if he has lots of credibility).

I have no doubt AM is upset Texas now gets the same SEC advantages they do but I don’t see them leaving. I think a lot of their fan base will be glad to get the Texas- A&M rivalry game back as well as the game with Oklahoma.
But wasn’t he the one who called OU/UT leaving before anyone else, along with the Pac-12 falling apart? I don’t know if he just gets lucky by throwing a bunch of stuff to the wall and seeing if it sticks, but he’s at least hit on a few things in the past.

Reactions: Ski and NedFromYork
But wasn’t he the one who called OU/UT leaving before anyone else, along with the Pac-12 falling apart? I don’t know if he just gets lucky by throwing a bunch of stuff to the wall and seeing if it sticks, but he’s at least hit on a few things in the past.
He throws a lot against the wall hoping some sticks. He also said FSU had already negotiated a buy out from the ACC last summer. We see how that went. ;)

I just don’t see the A&M fans in Texas being happy about joining the Big Ten. They’d be taken out of their territory recruiting wise, playing teams they basically have no history with, in what they consider an inferior league in the cold.

ACC/Big XII will merge and pick up a few teams to cover coast to coast with probably 30-36 teams
I think you could create a respectable 32-team conference by combining the ACC, Big 12, Oregon State/Washington State, and UConn. If we get to play WVU, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, etc. each year, I’d be all for it.

Reactions: Fayette_LION
I think you could create a respectable 32-team conference by combining the ACC, Big 12, Oregon State/Washington State, and UConn. If we get to play WVU, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, etc. each year, I’d be all for it.
Why do you care about playing Syracuse or Va Tech yearly?

Where is Pitt going when the acc folds?

Pitt and the MAC is a marriage made in heaven. Primarily schools from former Rust Belt cities playing mid-major football. A natural fit if there ever was one. Pitt could compete for a MAC title every decade or so.

Because we have history with them. Same goes with Cincinnati and Louisville. I’d rather play them than schools like Cal, Houston, or Iowa State.
You can create new history with others schools. Playing Va Tech and Syracuse because they used to be interesting games is illogical to me but whatever makes you happy.

You can create new history with others schools. Playing Va Tech and Syracuse because they used to be interesting games is illogical to me but whatever makes you happy.
Respectfully, you’ve been in the Big Ten for 30+ years now and have zero new rivalries to show for it. The closest you have is the fabricated Land Grant Trophy against MSU.

With that in mind, why would it be any different for Pitt, especially since we won’t have the luxury of creating new history with schools such as Michigan and Ohio State?

Respectfully, you’ve been in the Big Ten for 30+ years now and have zero new rivalries to show for it. The closest you have is the fabricated Land Grant Trophy against MSU.

With that in mind, why would it be any different for Pitt, especially since we won’t have the luxury of creating new history with schools such as Michigan and Ohio State?
It’s because the Big Ten sucks.

Want to trade conferences then? ;)

I always wondered what would have happened if Penn St and Notre Dame had joined the ACC back in the late 90s. No doubt there still would have been dealing with the ‘ole boys club’ from Tobacco Road but there would have been Penn St, Notre Dame, Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, and Clemson as solid football focused schools which would have balanced the basketball heavy focus of the ACC.

Much like the old Big East, the ACC is on the verge of breaking apart because it was too unbalanced with its main focus on basketball.

The fate of the conference would likely have fallen to Syracuse and Pitt- whether they fell into the basketball first crowd or kept a balance with a football focus too. Given the basketball push by both of those schools back then, the basketball schools would have still dominated the votes, but it would have been much closer. The ACC would have been better set up for the future than now.

I always wondered what would have happened if Penn St and Notre Dame had joined the ACC back in the late 90s. No doubt there still would have been dealing with the ‘ole boys club’ from Tobacco Road but there would have been Penn St, Notre Dame, Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, and Clemson as solid football focused schools which would have balanced the basketball heavy focus of the ACC.

Much like the old Big East, the ACC is on the verge of breaking apart because it was too unbalanced with its main focus on basketball.

The fate of the conference would likely have fallen to Syracuse and Pitt- whether they fell into the basketball first crowd or kept a balance with a football focus too. Given the basketball push by both of those schools back then, the basketball schools would have still dominated the votes, but it would have been much closer. The ACC would have been better set up for the future than now.
I don’t think Notre Dame would’ve gone for it, but the ACC absolutely would’ve invited Penn State had they known you were looking at joining a football conference- the former ACC commissioner said as much.

With PSU heading to the ACC, I think you’re right that Miami and Virginia Tech would’ve gone there instead of the Big East (that same commissioner said he sought the Canes when FSU joined). At that point, the ACC would have 12 members, and they- not the SEC- would’ve been the first conference to have a championship game.

Now, the question becomes what happens to Boston College, Pitt, and Syracuse. Us, along with Rutgers and WVU, would all still be football independents. Do us five plus, say, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Temple come together to create the Big East football conference? The other possibility is that us three lobby for an ACC invite. It’s quite likely that Boston College and Syracuse receive invites (which is what happened in real life) while Pitt is left to ask the Big Ten for a spot. The ACC certainly wouldn’t have invited WVU or Louisville, and Rutgers never received interest from the ACC in 2003 or 2010.

Define a rivalry...
Honestly, I'd rather play an elite program we have no history with than someone like Pitt or Syracuse or WVU that were relevant 4 decades ago.
If I'm Pitt and I joined the Big XII (or there's a merge) I'd be thrilled to plays schools like TCU Utah Colorado Arizona Oklahoma State Oregon State Stanford Cal etc instead of a bad Syracuse program. Just my opinion.

Define a rivalry...
Honestly, I'd rather play an elite program we have no history with than someone like Pitt or Syracuse or WVU that were relevant 4 decades ago.
If I'm Pitt and I joined the Big XII (or there's a merge) I'd be thrilled to plays schools like TCU Utah Colorado Arizona Oklahoma State Oregon State Stanford Cal etc instead of a bad Syracuse program. Just my opinion.
Two things to keep in mind:

You’re viewing it through the lens of a PSU fan. If we were joining the Big Ten or SEC, I’d be pumped to play those elite programs we have no history with, and that was the case getting to play Clemson and FSU when we joined the ACC. After the next round of realignment, there will be none of those programs left for us in the ACC or Big 12.

You also have to consider how that would impact attendance. We have, at best, average to above-average attendance on an annual basis. We’ve had series with OK State and Utah in the past when they were ranked and, although the road trips were run, it did nothing for our own attendance. The only way we’ll draw big crowds for a home game outside of PSU/WVU/ND is if they’re regional and having a really good season, as was the case in 2003 against Virginia Tech and 2009 against Cincinnati.

That’s just the nature of the beast when you’re a college team in a pro city.

Two things to keep in mind:

You’re viewing it through the lens of a PSU fan. If we were joining the Big Ten or SEC, I’d be pumped to play those elite programs we have no history with, and that was the case getting to play Clemson and FSU when we joined the ACC. After the next round of realignment, there will be none of those programs left for us in the ACC or Big 12.

You also have to consider how that would impact attendance. We have, at best, average to above-average attendance on an annual basis. We’ve had series with OK State and Utah in the past when they were ranked and, although the road trips were run, it did nothing for our own attendance. The only way we’ll draw big crowds for a home game outside of PSU/WVU/ND is if they’re regional and having a really good season, as was the case in 2003 against Virginia Tech and 2009 against Cincinnati.

That’s just the nature of the beast when you’re a college team in a pro city.
Attendance will improve if/when the product improves consistently.

Plenty of people still get up for West Virginia and Pitt. I'd love WVU in the conference and Pitt as an OOC annually. B1G will likely never invite WVU, but maybe they could be offered a reduced share for 25 years. Still, not going to happen unfortunately.

"Penn State football fans showed in big numbers for the Lions' 2023 season opener against West Virginia under the lights at Beaver Stadium. An announced crowd of 110,747 was on-hand to watch the Lions tangle with the Mountaineers.Sep 2, 2023"

Fourth largest ever.

Reactions: LMTLION
Plenty of people still get up for West Virginia and Pitt. I'd love WVU in the conference and Pitt as an OOC annually. B1G will likely never invite WVU, but maybe they could be offered a reduced share for 25 years. Still, not going to happen unfortunately.

"Penn State football fans showed in big numbers for the Lions' 2023 season opener against West Virginia under the lights at Beaver Stadium. An announced crowd of 110,747 was on-hand to watch the Lions tangle with the Mountaineers.Sep 2, 2023"

Fourth largest ever.
I would love to see at least one out of these four invited into the conference at some point: Pitt, WVU, Syracuse, or BC. I know that each of them is a very long shot, but it would be nice to have a regional rival. I would’ve taken any of the 4 over Maryland and Butgers.

I would love to see at least one out of these four invited into the conference at some point: Pitt, WVU, Syracuse, or BC. I know that each of them is a very long shot, but it would be nice to have a regional rival. I would’ve taken any of the 4 over Maryland and Butgers.
I think our only shot of that ever happening is if the Big Ten eventually expands beyond 24 members, unfortunately.

Pitt is the only AAU institution (if that continues to be a criteria).

The only one with any shot is BC and that's if ND forces them to be a part of them joining when they cave.

The only one with any shot is BC and that's if ND forces them to be a part of them joining when they cave.
I doubt even ND has that clout, but it is an intriguing thought. Enough B1G alum in Boston to expand the demand for BC tickets and the metro area is obviously very large.

I doubt even ND has that clout, but it is an intriguing thought. Enough B1G alum in Boston to expand the demand for BC tickets and the metro area is obviously very large.
I hope ND doesn't have that kind of power but they're the only big fish left

You bring up an interesting point. I honestly think Nebraska would be a better fit in the SEC due to the historic rivals they have there (Mizzou, Oklahoma). If A&M bolts for the Big Ten, I could see the SEC looking to make a similar move.
You always go back to historic rivals stuff. No one cares about that any more. As for your original question, can’t see A&M going to Big. If they do, hope they get Pitt in the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT