ADVERTISEMENT

ANSWER ME THIS: Regarding Mike McQueary, John McQueary and Dr Dranov...

Also, this isn't "rumors and hearsay"; this was a source quoting in a newspaper. Not "hearsay" because the person had first hand information of the grand jury. Not "rumors" because they went on record with that information.

Point me to the article and I'll comment on it. BTW, I don't think you have a grasp of what hearsay is.

Reactions: WHCANole
I have no problem with them doing that. With benefit of hindsight, I bet they wish they did. What I have a problem with is people claiming that Dranov was a mandated reporter and thus was required to go to the police. In these circumstances, he was not since he had no reason to suspect that the child was one of his patients. Sandusky was in a PSU facility. He had access to the facility because PSU granted him the access. The police that had jurisdiction were the PSU police. I have no issue with McQueary following PSU policy for those reasons.
IIRC C&S weren't mandated reportes until the rules were changed retroactively. Is that correct?

Regardless, a moral person would report sexual assault if they knew it occurred. They don't have to be a mandated reporter. IMO all of these guys lied (unlikely) or MM didn't tell them about anything that they thought required reporting (likely).

Reactions: roswelllion
I have no problem with them doing that. With benefit of hindsight, I bet they wish they did. What I have a problem with is people claiming that Dranov was a mandated reporter and thus was required to go to the police. In these circumstances, he was not since he had no reason to suspect that the child was one of his patients. Sandusky was in a PSU facility. He had access to the facility because PSU granted him the access. The police that had jurisdiction were the PSU police. I have no issue with McQueary following PSU policy for those reasons.

It wasn’t PSU policy!! If it was as bad as they want us to believe, the police are the only answer. A courtesy to Joe afterwards would be appropriate, since an investigation would be forthcoming, but POLICE is the only answer - unless of course he really saw nothing that gave him concern.

WILL YOU PLEASE STOP WITH THIS LIE!

I posted Dranov exact testimony. He did not say that McQueary "said 'no' THREE TIMES". You are welcome to build any case that you want against Dranov and McQueary but stop retelling falsehoods to support your view.

I really don't understand why you're so adamant about this. From Pennlive: "However, Dranov told grand jurors that he asked McQueary three times if he saw anything sexual, and three times McQueary said no, according to the source." https://www.pennlive.com/midstate/2011/12/another_version_of_mike_mcquea.html

Did his trial testimony come out slightly differently? Perhaps...I still don't see your point.

Everyone who talked to Mike has testified that he gave a vague, squishy, non-specific account and that he never told anyone that he saw a sexual assault. The evidence is consistent on this point. That's what's important.

Haven’t read the rest of the thread, but one exception to this is that Jerry Sandusky was no longer part of said organization. Therefore, his proper procedure would have been directly to the police.

Many tend to give Dad and the Dranov a pass, but if everything happened the way the Govt and PSU BOT stand by then these guys were guilty of very poor guidance when they told him to go to Joe.

Again - Jerry was not a PSU employee. Go tell the police.

I made the same point in post #18, but it must be too hard to address because it was ignored.

He also had no reason to suspect that the child was NOT one of his patients.

Having access to a facility doesn't make him part of an organization. (We have retirees at work that get free access to the gym, but aren't employees) If it was just some random guy off the street, who picked a lock to the building, do you think that changes what Mike SHOULD have done?

Agreed - also not a mandated report b/c he was too far removed from the situation. No dr / patient relationship, no supervisory relationship - simply (vague) hearsay.

I'll take tunnel vision as a character flaw as apposed to spreading rumor and innuendo to support yours.
What you call "rumor and innuendo" I call "journalism"

https://www.pennlive.com/midstate/2011/12/another_version_of_mike_mcquea.html

"According to the source with knowledge of Dranov’s testimony before the grand jury, it went like this:..."

(recap of one of Mike's versions of the shower incident)

"However, Dranov told grand jurors that he asked McQueary three times if he saw anything sexual, and three times McQueary said no, according to the source.

Because of that response, the source says, Dranov told McQueary that he should talk to his boss, head football coach Joe Paterno, rather than police.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself well.

HYPOTHETICAL: There was child abuse that MM witnessed and TOLD his dad and Dr Dranov. They deliberately COVER UP this info.

Then, why cooperate fully in an investigation 9 years later? No one in their right mind would cooperate fully in an investigation 9 years after you deliberately covered up a crime.

IT MAKES NO SENSE.

So, I can't imagine there was any child abuse witnessed that evening.

Their inaction is a crime, and totally different from the person they told- who did the correct thing.

What you call "rumor and innuendo" I call "journalism"

https://www.pennlive.com/midstate/2011/12/another_version_of_mike_mcquea.html

"According to the source with knowledge of Dranov’s testimony before the grand jury, it went like this:..."

(recap of one of Mike's versions of the shower incident)

"However, Dranov told grand jurors that he asked McQueary three times if he saw anything sexual, and three times McQueary said no, according to the source.

Because of that response, the source says, Dranov told McQueary that he should talk to his boss, head football coach Joe Paterno, rather than police.

Do you really want to hang your hat on one of Ganim's anonymous sources?

The source didn't actually cite his testimony. And you missed this bit from her article.

According to a source with knowledge of his testimony, Schultz told [Dranov] then-university President Graham Spanier had met with Sandusky.

Are you going to trust that, too?

And if you still want to hang your hat on this anonymous source, then surely you must accept what the New York Times' anonymous source said, right?
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/...-paternos-exit.html?smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

In explaining his actions, Mr. Paterno has publicly said he was not told of the graphic nature of a suspected 2002 assault by Jerry Sandusky, a former assistant, of a young boy in the football building’s showers. Mr. Paterno said the graduate assistant who reported the assault, Mike McQueary, said only that something disturbing had happened that was perhaps sexual in nature.

But on Tuesday, a person with knowledge of Mr. McQueary’s version of events called Mr. Paterno’s claim into question. The person said Mr. McQueary had told those in authority the explicit details of what he saw, including in his face-to-face meeting with Mr. Paterno the day after the incident.
That’s not rumor and innuendo, that’s journalism, right?

Actually, McQueary told his father, John, and family friend Dr. Jonathan Dranov, about the incident the night it occurred in February 2001. Dranov testified on Wednesday, as he did to the grand jury and at Sandusky’s trial, that McQueary told him that he had heard “sexual sounds” but did not describe seeing a sexual act.

He said McQueary told him he saw a boy in the shower and then a man’s arm come around the corner to pull him back in. After McQueary slammed his locker, he saw Sandusky come out in a towel. Dranov said McQueary was visibly shaken and when Dranov asked multiple times what he had seen, McQueary became more upset but only discussed the sounds he heard.

“[McQueary] was quivering, choosing his words. He was obviously visibly upset,” Dranov said Wednesday.

Dranov testified that he and John McQueary later met with then-Vice President Gary Schultz, one of the two administrators to whom Mike McQueary had reported the shower incident, to work out an affiliation agreement between his medical practice and Penn State. After the meeting, John McQueary asked where the investigation stood.

Dranov said Schultz told them there were “rumors” of a previous incident in the 1990s that was investigated by police. He said Schultz told them no charges were brought and the board of Sandusky’s The Second Mile charity for at-risk youth was notified. Dranov said Schultz indicated similar actions were being taken with Mike McQueary’s report, but did not say other agencies were involved.

An allegation of abuse was made against Sandusky in 1998. The case was investigated by Penn State Police but the Centre County District Attorney declined to prosecute. Investigations have shown Schultz appeared to be aware of the 1998 case.

Dranov said that John McQueary told Schultz, “This was a potentially serious incident with serious repercussions and he wanted to be sure it was being attended to in an appropriate fashion.”

Conrad questioned Dranov about his status as a mandated reporter of suspected child abuse because he is a physician. Dranov said because of what McQueary described and because he was not a witness to it, the incident was not a mandated report.

Asked if he thought it was “bad enough” to call police or child welfare agencies that night, Dranov said no.

“I don’t want to give the implication I didn’t think it was a serious incident,” Dranov said. “I did. I followed up to make sure he reported it.“

Dranov urged McQueary to report the incident to his supervisor, which he understood to be Penn State’s procedures.

McQueary reported the incident to Joe Paterno the next morning, and Paterno reported it to then-Athletic Director Tim Curley and Schultz, who spoke with McQueary but dispute that he told them anything sexual had occurred. Among McQueary’s lawsuit claims is that Curley and Schultz misrepresented what they would do with the information he gave them.

Both Curley and Schultz were charged with perjury (since dropped) and failure to report suspected child abuse based on McQueary’s testimony and their denials that he had told them of anything sexual. A later charge of child endangerment also remains and they still await trial.

In an email to Sassano and Eshbach, McQueary said the AG’s office had made no statement of support for him and asked about whether he could make a public statement of his own. On Monday, Eshbach testified that she told him not to because she did not want him to give a statement that could be used in cross-examination. Sassano said that McQueary was free to respond, but that he didn’t think he should.

So let me get this straight.
"MM's voice was quivering and he was visibly upset"
"he didn't see anything sexual but heard sexual sounds"
" he said don't get me wrong this was a very serious issue"

Was it serious enough to call police or child line? "Nah, just call coach in the morning" Yep, despicable human being.

The source didn't actually cite his testimony. And you missed this bit from her article.

According to a source with knowledge of his testimony, Schultz told [Dranov] then-university President Graham Spanier had met with Sandusky.

And if you still want to hang your hat on this anonymous source, then surely you must accept what the New York Times' anonymous source said, right?
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/...-paternos-exit.html?smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

In explaining his actions, Mr. Paterno has publicly said he was not told of the graphic nature of a suspected 2002 assault by Jerry Sandusky, a former assistant, of a young boy in the football building’s showers. Mr. Paterno said the graduate assistant who reported the assault, Mike McQueary, said only that something disturbing had happened that was perhaps sexual in nature.

But on Tuesday, a person with knowledge of Mr. McQueary’s version of events called Mr. Paterno’s claim into question. The person said Mr. McQueary had told those in authority the explicit details of what he saw, including in his face-to-face meeting with Mr. Paterno the day after the incident.
Jimmy, I appreciate what you are saying, but if you discount everything that has a contradictory story in this whole mess we are left with basically nothing. Everyone has been contradicted by someone (sometimes even contradicting themselves) for almost every single statement since this thing started.

So you can either cherry pick the statements that you like based on trying to get them to fit your narrative;

OR

You can acknowledge that these contradictory statements exist and try to evaluate what effect that has on the clarity of our understand of what happened/might have happened.

My point being, we have very little certainty about what happened. Based on preponderance of evidence (more about what people did vs what they said), I have a very strong opinion about what happened. But that doesn't mean there is certainty in that. Anyone who says they have certainty about anything in this mess is delusional.

Reactions: ouirpsu and AvgUser
Haven’t read the rest of the thread, but one exception to this is that Jerry Sandusky was no longer part of said organization. Therefore, his proper procedure would have been directly to the police.

Many tend to give Dad and the Dranov a pass, but if everything happened the way the Govt and PSU BOT stand by then these guys were guilty of very poor guidance when they told him to go to Joe.
Poor guidance is the kindest thing you can say. Grown man in a shower with a minor, witness comes home and in a "quivering and very upset voice" describes hearing sexual sounds to which later Dr D said was "very serious" and witness is told to go to bed and call coach in the morning. That is disgusting.

BTW at the risk of being indelicate what exactly are "the sexual sounds" when a 6'4" 55 year old man is molesting a 12 year old boy." I never saw that asked or answered.

Reactions: KCLion
IIRC C&S weren't mandated reportes until the rules were changed retroactively. Is that correct?

Regardless, a moral person would report sexual assault if they knew it occurred. They don't have to be a mandated reporter. IMO all of these guys lied (unlikely) or MM didn't tell them about anything that they thought required reporting (likely).

Right on bdgan!! I don't give 2 shits who was a mandated reporter. In 2011 Dr D, dad and MM gave EVERYONE the impression something very bad happened that night in 2001. And they did NOTHING to insure the welfare of the minor. Ooops made a mistake MM slammed a locker. Good lord where is common decency?

Reactions: bdgan and KCLion
Poor guidance is the kindest thing you can say. Grown man in a shower with a minor, witness comes home and in a "quivering and very upset voice" describes hearing sexual sounds to which later Dr D said was "very serious" and witness is told to go to bed and call coach in the morning. That is disgusting.

BTW at the risk of being indelicate what exactly are "the sexual sounds" when a 6'4" 55 year old man is molesting a 12 year old boy." I never saw that asked or answered.

I was trying to be diplomatic, but you are correct.

This whole thing reeks of fiction and stinky shit. The BOT saw this as an opportunity to savage Paterno and get revenge on him.

Also, this isn't "rumors and hearsay"; this was a source quoting in a newspaper. Not "hearsay" because the person had first hand information of the grand jury. Not "rumors" because they went on record with that information.

Sorry. As I hinted, you don't know what "hearsay" is. Let me quote the definition for you:

From the Oxford Dictionary:

1.1. Law The report of another person's words by a witness, which is usually disallowed as evidence in a court of law.

The newspaper is quoting a "source" who states what Dranov and McQueary's words were. The newspaper did not report what Dranov and McQueary said, they reported what a witness, i.e. their source, said. That is, by definition, hearsay.

What isn't hearsay is his testimony at Sandusky trial and he never says that McQueary said no three times. We just do not know what Dranov said to the grand jury. We do know what he said at Sandusky's trial. I will go with his sworn testimony, not hearsay evidence by another party.

Sorry. As I hinted, you don't know what "hearsay" is. Let me quote the definition for you:

1.1. Law The report of another person's words by a witness, which is usually disallowed as evidence in a court of law.

The newspaper is quoting a "source" who states what Dranov and McQueary's words were. The newspaper did not report what Dranov and McQueary said, they reported what a witness, i.e. their source, said. That is, by definition, hearsay.

What isn't hearsay is his testimony at Sandusky trial and he never says that McQueary said no three times. We just do not know what Dranov said to the grand jury. We do know what he said at Sandusky's trial. I will go with his sworn testimony, not hearsay evidence by another party.

Okay, but how do you discount that being the very first person, outside of the family, to hear MM's account of what happened Dranov heard nothing that moved him to or to advise MM to call the police or CYS? Either MM's account did not rise to the level of being sexual abuse of a child or Dranov is the worst kind of human being imaginable. PS, if MM witnessed a child being raped,,,,,,please explain why he would have needed anyone to tell him what to do? LOL LOL LOL

Okay, but how do you discount that being the very first person, outside of the family, to hear MM's account of what happened Dranov heard nothing that moved him to or to advise MM to call the police or CYS? Either MM's account did not rise to the level of being sexual abuse of a child or Dranov is the worst kind of human being imaginable. PS, if MM witnessed a child being raped,,,,,,please explain why he would have needed anyone to tell him what to do? LOL LOL LOL

That's not a battle that I'm trying to fight. I don't know what led to the decisions that they made that night.

What I do recognize is when people twist testimony in this case to further their own cause. In general, I take exception when individuals tell false tales for their own benefit (which is why I can't stand Trump). When I see people doing the same in this case, then that's a battle I'ill take on. Hate Dranov, McQueary, et al as much as you like. Just don't go around passing off rumor and innuendo to build your case against them.

JmmyW, the GJ testimony is still under seal, correct? If so, why do you think it is after all this time?

That's not a battle that I'm trying to fight. I don't know what led to the decisions that they made that night.

What I do recognize is when people twist testimony in this case to further their own cause. In general, I take exception when individuals tell false tales for their own benefit (which is why I can't stand Trump). When I see people doing the same in this case, then that's a battle I'ill take on. Hate Dranov, McQueary, et al as much as you like. Just don't go around passing off rumor and innuendo to build your case against them.
In this case especially, actions speak louder than words.When it comes to twisting words, no one had their words contorted more than MM. We have evidence of such in his email and the response from Eshbach.

Mike never said he saw anal rape. That was a lie concocted by the DA.
Mike saw very little if anything. The diagram of the locker room would lead anyone curious enough to look it up to conclude this. AM and JS didn't know it was MM who entered the locker room. Yet he claims the kid came out and looked at him and Sandusky came walking out? Nonsense. The idea that a "little boys" was pinned against the wall with a 6'2' Sandusky up against him doesn't resonate either......unless the Commonwealth had awarded JS a golden step stool, like the one they used in the trial.

Reactions: denniskembala
Mike saw very little if anything. The diagram of the locker room would lead anyone curious enough to look it up to conclude this. AM and JS didn't know it was MM who entered the locker room. Yet he claims the kid came out and looked at him and Sandusky came walking out? Nonsense. The idea that a "little boys" was pinned against the wall with a 6'2' Sandusky up against him doesn't resonate either......unless the Commonwealth had awarded JS a golden step stool, like the one they used in the trial.
I recall it was impossible for Mike to have seen anything based on the layout of the room. As far as sounds go, they could be anything.

This whole thing was fraught with shoddy LE, lying prosecutors, cowardly jurors and absolutely no establishment of credibility of the accusers.

JmmyW, the GJ testimony is still under seal, correct? If so, why do you think it is after all this time?

The default position is to keep GJ information secret. There is no mechanism to automatically release GJ information. That doesn't mean it can't become public, but there's got to be some legal filing requesting it be made public, which requires approval by the GJ Supervising Judge.

In this case, the GJ testimony of:
- Curley, Schultz, and Paterno was read into the record at the 12/16/2011 preliminary hearing
- Spanier's GJ transcript was released in one of his filings
- Baldwin's GJ transcript was released in one of Spanier's filings
- Excerpts of the GJ transcripts for McQueary, V1, and V4 were released by Sandusky in one of his PCRA filings
- and, Paterno's GJ transcript was released to Ryan Bagwell in a FOI request, which he made public on 5/6/2016

Here's a link to Paterno's GJ transcript:

In this case especially, actions speak louder than words.When it comes to twisting words, no one had their words contorted more than MM. We have evidence of such in his email and the response from Eshbach.
Mike contributed to his own demise through his actions - or lack thereof -, his words, his inability to express himself in words, and his enduring silence for 8, 9, 10 years.

Still, I agree with what I think you are suggesting. EVERYBODY's actions in 2000/2001 were a direct consequence of the words, thought, actions and behavior of one person: Michael McQuery. At least five grown, responsible adult males who heard of the locker-room situation acted one and only one way. All was hunky-dorey for 8, 9, 10 years. Then... KABOOM!

Mike contributed to his own demise through his actions - or lack thereof -, his words, his inability to express himself in words, and his enduring silence for 8, 9, 10 years.

Still, I agree with what I think you are suggesting. EVERYBODY's actions in 2000/2001 were a direct consequence of the words, thought, actions and behavior of one person: Michael McQuery. At least five grown, responsible adult males who heard of the locker-room situation acted one and only one way. All was hunky-dorey for 8, 9, 10 years. Then... KABOOM!
McQueary's demise? He walked away with a big check.

Just because hearsay evidence isn't allowed in a court room (unless of course you are a PSU janitor) doesn't mean it has no value. It is a data point. You act as if that data point does not exist. We can debate the quality of that data point, but you cannot deny that it exists.

Are you really going to hang your hat on your beliefs, or a simple pencil sketch by Jay Paterno, as some sort of proof McQueary couldn't see into the shower?

What about exhibits 57 and 58 in Sanduksy trial, are you aware of these? Those were pictures showing McQueary's viewpoints in the shower room.

Why do you suppose Sandusky's attorneys lodged objections to the jury seeing those photographs? Why would they lodge objections, if as you say, they proved McQueary couldn't see into the shower?

Here - this is a little better than a pencil sketch:

63-F05-A2-B-A537-4-BA4-B43-B-E1898116-E4-A9.jpg

Are you really going to hang your hat on your beliefs, or a simple pencil sketch by Jay Paterno, as some sort of proof McQueary couldn't see into the shower?

What about exhibits 57 and 58 in Sanduksy trial, are you aware of these? Those were pictures showing McQueary's viewpoints in the shower room.

Why do you suppose Sandusky's attorneys lodged objections to the jury seeing those photographs? Why would they lodge objections, if as you say, they proved McQueary couldn't see into the shower?

Didn't MM testify that the boy didn't appear to be stressed? I think he'd be stressed if he was just anally raped.

Regardless, why did Dranov testify that MM didn't tell him anything that warranted calling police?

How do you explain the stool and disparity in sizes making penetration impossible?

How do you explain the stool and disparity in sizes making penetration impossible?

My ex-wife was five foot tall. I laugh at people who state that penetration between two standing individuals with around a foot difference in height is impossible. Last time I checked people's knees bend just fine (albeit mine not as well as they did thirty plus years ago when i was married to her).

My ex-wife was five foot tall. I laugh at people who state that penetration between two standing individuals with around a foot difference in height is impossible. Last time I checked people's knees bend just fine (albeit mine not as well as they did thirty plus years ago when i was married to her).

Hmmm... Do you have any pictures to share that PROVE your hypothesis?

Reactions: UncleLar
There's a great deal of info in this thread. The majority of which has been discussed here - ad nauseum - since 2011.

The purpose of my OP was to address WHY would Dranov and John Mcqueary cooperate FULLY with an investigation in 2010 "if" they were actually told child abuse happened that Friday night in 2001?

No person complicit in a crime would VOLUNTEER information and cooperate FULLY with an investigation. They would lie. The only other option is CONFESSION. If they were complicit, one or both would come forward and tell the truth.

They neither confessed nor did they lie. They cooperated and volunteered information.

This to me, speaks volumes.

There's a great deal of info in this thread. The majority of which has been discussed here - ad nauseum - since 2011.

The purpose of my OP was to address WHY would Dranov and John Mcqueary cooperate FULLY with an investigation in 2010 "if" they were actually told child abuse happened that Friday night in 2001?

No person complicit in a crime would VOLUNTEER information and cooperate FULLY with an investigation. They would lie. The only other option is CONFESSION. If they were complicit, one or both would come forward and tell the truth.

They neither confessed nor did they lie. They cooperated and volunteered information.

Yes, that nothing happened.

There are five showers. From the sketch, two are visible from McQ's position(s). Three of the showers are not visible. Add to that the fact that McQ stated the youth peered around a corner. What corner would that be? There is no need to peer around any corner from the two showers that are visible to McQ. Add to that that McQ stated he had only two - or three depending upon the trial testimony - quick glimpses of whatever he did see. It all adds up to extremely reasonable doubt that a child was being sexually assaulted. And, to an extent, the jury concluded that as well.

The real crime - or failure - that happened is that McQ did not speak up and tell the media what he told Esbach. he permitted at least four good people to take the bullets for him while he somehow scurried away with $5M or so.

I'm not following your logic at all. I think you are insinuating that John McQueary and Dranov weren't told that Sandusky was abusing a child. If that's the point you are trying to make, I think you are making some pretty big leaps in your logic. Why isn't it possible that both John McQueary and Dranov understood that Mike was describing an assault but believed that notifying Paterno was the correct course of action?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT