ADVERTISEMENT

Another Penn State fraternity in the news

You cannot "easily" do any of that. Im talking about "commutable" distances... No1 is effortlessly able to traverse those mountains and leisurely arrive into a parking space in an office park in suburban NJ ready to work

Oh. I retract my statement.

Again, what's the draw of spending your college years commuting to suburban New Jersey?

I knew a ton of people that did co-ops and internships in New Jersey and/or moved to Joisey after graduating (myself included). So you're focusing on the fact that they couldn't do that at the same time as taking a full semester's worth of credits? What a shame.

Reactions: fearson05
Collegian is reporting “she” —-assuming it’s all confirmed, the University needs to make a strong stand— Frats have become a Cancer at PSU —protected place for criminals.Piazza, now this. There may be some good ones, but their group-think is dangerous, and parents need to warn their kids to steer clear of them.

No hyperbole at all in this post.
Lo those years ago, I was a frat member, loved it, and our house did nothing that could be construed as wrong. Apologize if that doesn’t fit your editorial.

Oh. I retract my statement.

Again, what's the draw of spending your college years commuting to suburban New Jersey?

I knew a ton of people that did co-ops and internships in New Jersey and/or moved to Joisey after graduating (myself included). So you're focusing on the fact that they couldn't do that at the same time as taking a full semester's worth of credits? What a shame.

LOL...
Also, I don't think being a close drive to home is a bonus at all. I wanted to look at schools further away from home to get out on my own, have some new experiences, and learn how to be a self-sufficient adult. I was restricted to looking at schools within driving distance, luckily PSU checked that box!

I apologize for the slight diversion from fraternity bashing, you may now resume your regularly scheduled program.

(FYI: I wasn't in one, but don't have the hatred for them that many seem to hold)

LOL...
Also, I don't think being a close drive to home is a bonus at all. I wanted to look at schools further away from home to get out on my own, have some new experiences, and learn how to be a self-sufficient adult. I was restricted to looking at schools within driving distance, luckily PSU checked that box!
Totally agree with this.

I'll go a step further and say that being somewhat isolated makes the PSU experience that much better. The best analogy to explain this I've come up with is like summer camp. You and your classmates are "stuck" in Happy Valley (esp. freshmen year when no one has a car) and have an intense bonding/friendship building that wouldn't happen if everyone's family/high school girlfriend/weekend job at Dairy Queen were a mere 45 minutes away and everyone left every weekend.

My thoughts on the middle of nowhere bent is it’s not real life. It’s fun to spend 4 years in an off the wall situation. It’s very hard to duplicate living in SC for 4 years (I stayed every summer) and that made the experience unique and special to me. Part of the magic.

Flag this:D at 220
w5gBrX1.jpg

I apologize for the slight diversion from fraternity bashing, you may now resume your regularly scheduled program.

(FYI: I wasn't in one, but don't have the hatred for them that many seem to hold)
What's the deal with frats? Seriously, I don't know. I joined the military at 17 never went to college. Is it similar to having the military pay your VAH/ BAQ to live in a house on the beach with a bunch of friends and just party all the time? I'm not getting why they exist.

What's the deal with frats? Seriously, I don't know. I joined the military at 17 never went to college. Is it similar to having the military pay your VAH/ BAQ to live in a house on the beach with a bunch of friends and just party all the time? I'm not getting why they exist.

I just assumed some people like terrible parties.

I’m sure we’ll have a whole parade of posters in here to explain all of the reasons why this girl is lying and the fraternity is actually not at all to blame.
You come up with that all by yourself, huh......

If you find the right situation you get:
A core group of lifelong friends with similar interests, such as going to the gym, hobbies, participating with the same group in IM sports, and so on
An organization which monitors your academics, and encourages you to obtain higher-than-average grades, via mandatory study halls and social penalties
An organization which promotes risk management and responsible alcohol consumption; No random group of kids in a house/apartment has any adult oversight
A network of alumni with a shared experience
A baseline understanding of a business-like organization, including elements such as budgeting, property management, etc.

You get out of it what you put into it, and sadly that could simply be partying for some immature kids.

Just for the record, this could prove to be false, and it would be sad for the kids if so.

Per the CDT:
Police received an online submission Tuesday that four brothers had sexually assaulted a student sometime on January 15. No identities were disclosed in the third-party tip.

Apparently that's all it takes for some people with a preconceived agenda to sharpen their pitchforks!

Just for the record, this could prove to be false, and it would be sad for the kids if so.

Per the CDT:
Police received an online submission Tuesday that four brothers had sexually assaulted a student sometime on January 15. No identities were disclosed in the third-party tip.

Apparently that's all it takes for some people with a preconceived agenda to sharpen their pitchforks!
I’m going to assume there’s something more than an anonymous and generic internet report for the school to have suspended the fraternity. Past performance tells me this might be a misplaced assumption, though.

86Engineer said:
Clearly you weren't at the right frat parties.

I went to my fair share, quite frankly they all sucked. While it's possible I just was always there on an off night, or never went to one of the "good" frats... it's not likely.

I went to my fair share, quite frankly they all sucked. While it's possible I just was always there on an off night, or never went to one of the "good" frats... it's not likely.
Hmmm. What’s the common denominator with all those sucky parties?

Reactions: hagberg
I’m going to assume there’s something more than an anonymous and generic internet report for the school to have suspended the fraternity. Past performance tells me this might be a misplaced assumption, though.

PSU suspended a fraternity because a high school student died at a house that wasn't a frat house, but simply had frat members living at it. Definitely a misplaced assumption.

If they all sucked, it is quite obvious that you never went to one of the "good" frats.

86Engineer said:
If they all sucked, it is quite obvious that you never went to one of the "good" frats.

Sure I admit that is a possibility, but it's not very likely given my sample size. It's much more likely that frats just didn't throw good parties.

The reason this keeps happening is bc there is not enough to do up there and the the culture centers around alcohol... I know of dozens of people that went there and only one graduated looking better and in better shape than when they went in.

Its such a "follower" culture too

a scumbag Butgers hump trolling, go swim in the polluted Raritan dip$hit

PSU has huge a huge alumni base in NYC, Philly, and DC. Also, what is the draw of being 35 minutes away from home? I moved to Hoboken right after college, as did a whole lot of my classmates.

Nice move going to Hoboken. I’m sorry I didn’t. No shortage of hot girls, bars, restaurants etc. Great view if NYC and a short trip when you wish to go in
I live in northern NJ now. I have season tix and do most games I attend in a one day trip. It’s no big deal and I’m not as young as I used to be. Once they upped the speed limit on 80 made it very doable
As for Rutgers vs PSU, I won’t even dignify that with an answer. And I don’t care how close Rutgers is to NYC. There’s no comparison.

Reactions: PSUoh90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT