ADVERTISEMENT

"And the walls.....come tumblin' down"

StinkStankStunk

Oct 11, 2010
http://www.thelegalintelligencer.co...-Claims?slreturn=20160405144241#ixzz47o9xLpp3

Some excerpts for folks who may not be able to read via the LegalIntelligencer:

Pay particular attention to the underlined paragraph.

This is HUGE.......more discussion later....but, for now, the article:

"Penn State may not receive insurance coverage for damages stemming from much of the sexual abuse by convicted serial child molester Jerry Sandusky, a Philadelphia judge has ruled.

The ruling dashes much of the school’s chances for receiving insurance coverage for the abuse that formed the basis of a $60 million settlement the school entered into in 2013.

Ruling on numerous issues related to whether Pennsylvania Manufacturers’ Association Insurance will have to indemnify the school for Sandusky’s abuse, Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas Judge Gary Glazer ruled Wednesday that an abuse and molestation exclusion in policies between 1992 and 1999 will bar coverage for incidents during that time period.

Much of the reported abuse by Sandusky, who was found guilty of 45 out of 48 charges in 2012, occurred after 1992.

Glazer further determined in the ruling that, although the abuse exclusion was dropped from policies after 1999, an “expected or intended” exclusion could apply to bar coverage for claims after 1998.

According to Glazer, the exclusion would bar coverage if officials with the school, including former president Graham Spanier and ex-senior vice president for business and finance Gary Schultz, would have expected or intended children to have been abused after they had received reports of Sandusky’s activities. Glazer said incidents of abuse were reported to them in 1998 and 2001, but they “apparently took no steps to prevent Sandusky from committing additional bad acts in the future.”

“The American public, of which Spanier and Schultz are members, had been exposed by the media to countless stories of priests, teachers and others who repeatedly sexually abused many children over many years. It is highly unlikely that anyone at the turn of this current century could reasonably claim ignorance of the existence and practice of sexual predators like Sandusky,” Glazer said.

However, he did not make a ruling on whether coverage should be barred under that provision, saying, “It is an issue for a trial whether PSU and its executive officers expected or intended future bodily injury to children once they became aware of Sandusky’s molestations, and thereby whether coverage under each subsequent policy containing the expected or intended exclusion is bared,” he said.

Kleinbard attorney, Steven J. Engelmyer, who is representing PMA, declined to comment, and Penn State did not return a call for comment Thursday morning."

Attorney Patrick J. Wolfe Jr. of Narducci, Moore, Fleisher, Roeberg & Wolfe is representing Penn State.

The obvious - in my mind, anyway - implication is that the firing of Spanier and Paterno (and to a lesser degree, the "leave" given to Cur and Sch) actively and impactfully worked against the interests of the institution they are duty bound to serve.

Those Scoundrel actions - particularly the firing of Spanier and Paterno, since they have no "out card" there (they can't blame it on the PA AG office), since neither Paterno nor Spanier had been indicted of any wrong-doing at the time - most certainly furthered the narrative that officials at PSU "had to know".

BANG!!! The A9 have to hammer on this ......beginning TODAY!!!!!!

This is the type of low-hanging fruit we need to begin to capitalize on.

STAT!!

Lets stop jerking around and start doing what we need to do!
Take these Scoundrels on, and set the record straight for all to see.

Last edited:
http://www.thelegalintelligencer.co...-Claims?slreturn=20160405144241#ixzz47o9xLpp3

"Penn State may not receive insurance coverage for damages stemming from much of the sexual abuse by convicted serial child molester Jerry Sandusky, a Philadelphia judge has ruled.

The ruling dashes much of the school’s chances for receiving insurance coverage for the abuse that formed the basis of a $60 million settlement the school entered into in 2013.

Ruling on numerous issues related to whether Pennsylvania Manufacturers’ Association Insurance will have to indemnify the school for Sandusky’s abuse, Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas Judge Gary Glazer ruled Wednesday that an abuse and molestation exclusion in policies between 1992 and 1999 will bar coverage for incidents during that time period.

Much of the reported abuse by Sandusky, who was found guilty of 45 out of 48 charges in 2012, occurred after 1992.

Glazer further determined in the ruling that, although the abuse exclusion was dropped from policies after 1999, an “expected or intended” exclusion could apply to bar coverage for claims after 1998.

According to Glazer, the exclusion would bar coverage if officials with the school, including former president Graham Spanier and ex-senior vice president for business and finance Gary Schultz, would have expected or intended children to have been abused after they had received reports of Sandusky’s activities. Glazer said incidents of abuse were reported to them in 1998 and 2001, but they “apparently took no steps to prevent Sandusky from committing additional bad acts in the future.”

“The American public, of which Spanier and Schultz are members, had been exposed by the media to countless stories of priests, teachers and others who repeatedly sexually abused many children over many years. It is highly unlikely that anyone at the turn of this current century could reasonably claim ignorance of the existence and practice of sexual predators like Sandusky,” Glazer said.

However, he did not make a ruling on whether coverage should be barred under that provision, saying, “It is an issue for a trial whether PSU and its executive officers expected or intended future bodily injury to children once they became aware of Sandusky’s molestations, and thereby whether coverage under each subsequent policy containing the expected or intended exclusion is bared,” he said.

Kleinbard attorney, Steven J. Engelmyer, who is representing PMA, declined to comment, and Penn State did not return a call for comment Thursday morning."

Attorney Patrick J. Wolfe Jr. of Narducci, Moore, Fleisher, Roeberg & Wolfe is representing Penn State.

Discussion is good food.

Looks like a lawyer-shark attack fest to me.

Reactions: Ski and step.eng69

They're shitting themselves on Penn Live and Centre Daily.

What is the $60MM settlement referred to, the NCAA fine or the sum total of victim settlements? Where did they come up with that figure? In either case, they painted themselves into quite a corner but no matter, I'm sure they'll fire up the printing press on an overtime shift.

What is the $60MM settlement referred to, the NCAA fine or the sum total of victim settlements? Where did they come up with that figure? In either case, they painted themselves into quite a corner but no matter, I'm sure they'll fire up the printing press on an overtime shift.

I think that the university was trying to get PMA to cover the victim settlements, which PMA was never going to do. No way, no how.

well maybe im hoping this pushes the trustees to say hey...maybe we screwed up just a little and review the freeh report and come out with a strong statement calling it BS

Pretty sure its the amount they came up with for settlements and if im not mistaken I think I recall them having another meeting and increasing that amount

Reactions: Ski and 91Joe95
OK, but Chitown posted in the Paterno suit thread that it's over $93 mil as of last year! Oy vey...
ChiTown is correct with that figure

FWIW, that means that the PSU BOT has squandered PSU $$$$ in an amount greater than the ENTIRE payouts made by the Boston Archdiocese - where it was PROVEN IN A COURT OF LAW that Dozens of Priests abused Hundreds of victims, AND, that the Archdiocese willfully and intentionally "shuffled around" those Priests in an effort to cover up their crimes.

All for the actions of one ex-employee.....and for Administrators at PSU who recently had any "liability charges" (conspiracy, etc) tossed out of court before any trials ever took place.

Think about that for a minute.

The obvious - in my mind, anyway - implication is that the firing of Spanier and Paterno (and to a lesser degree, the "leave" given to Cur and Sch) actively and impactfully worked against the interests of the institution they are duty bound to serve.

Those Scoundrel actions - particularly the firing of Spanier and Paterno, since they have no "out card" there (they can't blame it on the PA AG office), since neither Paterno nor Spanier had been indicted of any wrong-doing at the time - most certainly furthered the narrative that officials at PSU "had to know".

BANG!!! The A9 have to hammer on this ......beginning TODAY!!!!!!

This is the type of low-hanging fruit we need to begin to capitalize on.

STAT!!

Lets stop jerking around and start doing what we need to do!
Take these Scoundrels on, and set the record straight for all to see.
That is an awful big "if" that Judge Glazer threw in there. "If" they get released from the charges, which many have already been dropped, then it appears PSU can still try to recoup money. Having not read the article, I think it's a big jump to arrive at your conclusion SSS. Just my thoughts on the little I read. Now, your second post is a LOT to think about. Many $$$$$$$$$$ just thrown away to put this behind Karen Peetz and her gang of idiots.

that's actually incredible and sad at the same time....when will any of these idiots be held accountable
When will anyone - except for a handful of folks like ChiTown (all over the internet) and myself (just here on this board) even bring that to anyone's attention......because until that happens, there ain't no way we get to the "held accountable" stage

Who has the microphone in front of them - and the standing and bullypulpit to get the message out?

Reactions: N&B4PSU and 91Joe95
That is an awful big "if" that Judge Glazer threw in there. "If" they get released from the charges, which many have already been dropped, then it appears PSU can still try to recoup money. Having not read the article, I think it's a big jump to arrive at your conclusion SSS. Just my thoughts on the little I read.
We are talking about two entirely different things Fayette.

FWIW, PSU was never going to receive any significant reimbursement....but that's not the point

I mean, the idea of recovering any significant amount of that money - either from PMA, or, even more laughably, the 2nd Mile insurer - was ALWAYS a ludicrous piece of BS. But, hey, if they want to play that card - and they DID, repeatedly and vociferously - we NEED to hold their GD feet to the fire

You've GOT TO open this link
Copied from elsewhere - not supplied by me, but a GREAT time to be reminded of this doozy:

http://i.imgur.com/bI6qdmt.jpg

FWIW, PSU was never going to receive any significant reimbursement....but that's not the point

I mean, the idea of recovering any significant amount of that money - either from PMA, or, even more laughably, the 2nd Mile insurer - was ALWAYS a ludicrous piece of BS. But, hey, if they want to play that card - and they DID, repeatedly and vociferously - we NEED to hold their GD feet to the fire

Copied from elsewhere - not supplied by me, but a GREAT time to be reminded of this doozy:

I thought that Rodless knew that cash was fungible.:mad:

OK, and Chitown posted in the Paterno suit thread that it's over $93 mil as of last year. That's the increase. Got it now. Oy vey...

First batch of settlements was $60MM. Second was never officially disclosed, but the very strong rumor was $33MM.

Reactions: Fizz1
Perhaps I missed this in the millions of pages I've read over the last 4 + years. I'm still at a loss as to how the University is responsible in any way for the 1998 incident. Wasn't JS investigated and essentially cleared at the time? You have a guy working with at risk kids, accused of crime, investigated by the police and cleared. Why would the university expect him to do something in the future based on 1998?

bI6qdmt.jpg

Right. None of the funds will come from taxpayers.
Just as he assured students that none of the funds will come from tuition.
Just as he assured the alumni that none of the funds will come from donations.

Obviously, the money will come from the basement at Hammond. ;-)

Art - if you haven't opened that link (in my most recent post) you will want to. It is a letter from Rod that was made public some time ago ......but it is priceless, and PERFECT given this news from Glazer

Opening the link and reading that letter inspired my post.

Further, how Stephen Dunham and his coterie of semi-retired are still employed is beyond comprehension.

Opening the link and reading that letter inspired my post.

Further, how Stephen Dunham and his coterie of semi-retired are still employed is beyond comprehension.
Ah....I see that now - I should have drawn that inference the first time :-(

Reactions: PsuAnnie
Perhaps I missed this in the millions of pages I've read over the last 4 + years. I'm still at a loss as to how the University is responsible in any way for the 1998 incident. Wasn't JS investigated and essentially cleared at the time? You have a guy working with at risk kids, accused of crime, investigated by the police and cleared. Why would the university expect him to do something in the future based on 1998?
The OG BoT lead by Frazier, Peetz, Surma, Masser, Eckel, et al, were willing to pay out millions of dollars as a diversionary tactic to distract from their own incompetence. To them trusteeship meant covering their own asses instead of working in the best interests of the university.

bI6qdmt.jpg

Chi -

You are overlooking the Magical Cash-Crapping Unicorn they have locked away in the Old Main belltower :)

BTW (and thanks to Bob D).....guess who was on the Finance Committee (that approved those moves) at that time?

Among others -

Keith Eckel
Paul Silvis
Jim Broadhurst
Karen Peetz
Rod Erickson

and, what list of c&cks&ckers would be complete without.......

Mark Dambly

and.....

Kenny Frazier and John Surma, on the Exec Committee.

Well they did just vote to allow the sale of booze at venues so I guess they figured out how to pay for this.

Reactions: Zenophile
The OG BoT lead by Frazier, Peetz, Surma, Masser, Eckel, et al, were willing to pay out millions of dollars as a diversionary tactic to distract from their own incompetence. To them trusteeship meant covering their own asses instead of working in the best interests of the university.

Wrong, they were willing to do it because that is what the corrupt former AG and newly minted Governor (who just took his PSU Board Seat in 2011), along with the polticaly-corrupted vassal and all-powerful EC of the BOT Trustees he controlled, told them that this is what they would do (along with admitting all culpability, hiring Louis Fact Freeh, etc....).

BTW (and thanks to Bob D).....guess who was on the Finance Committee (that approved those moves) at that time?

Among others -
  • Keith Eckel
  • Paul Silvis
  • Jim Broadhurst
  • Karen Peetz
  • Rod Erickson

and, what list of c&cks&ckers would be complete without.......
  • Mark Dambly

and.....
  • Kenny Frazier and John Surma, on the Exec Committee.
It's time.
simpmob-1508x706_c.jpg

Last edited:
The legal idiocy of the BOT aside, who the hell are these judges to pontificate as if they are some half-assed moralist? Who the hell is Gary Glazer to comment on what a member of the American public could reasonably claim ignorance about? Does Gary Glazer hold himself to this same standard - I guarantee he doesn't. By the way, Gary, sweetheart - the Catholic Church child sex abuse scandal didn't become a major public story until about 2002. The incidents in question occurred in 1998 and 2001, so you see sweetie it wasn't on anyone's consciousness. I can't believe people actually have to address these assholes as 'your honor.' By the way, I found it interesting that Gary Glazer is an Ohio State graduate.

"The American public, of which Spanier and Schultz are members, had been exposed by the media to countless stories of priests, teachers and others who repeatedly sexually abused many children over many years. It is highly unlikely that anyone at the turn of this current century could reasonably claim ignorance of the existence and practice of sexual predators like Sandusky,” Glazer said.

bI6qdmt.jpg

Gee, and who would have ever guessed that Fraudney Erickson proudly calls his Alma Mater a "traditional b1g Shiz-hole" Institution, Minnesota (Bachelor and Masters) and then to top it off, a PhD from Emmert's U-Dub...... Wow, he's quite the "Penn Stater" - what a phucking cock-sucker, I hope incarcerate this raging f'ing hypocrite who has damaged so many Pennsylvanian Taxpayers. He deserves the beat down that's this smug prick should have received in his youth in that ever wonderful hypocrite $hithole known as the "Midwest".

After battering the bum presenters at Penn Live, I believe they have finally blocked me on the regular sites. There is a way around their shit.

Reactions: 91Joe95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT