ADVERTISEMENT

And away we go! CJF has "ruined" Barkley (link)

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
During last year's B1G championship game I recall the announcer saying SB was being used as a decoy. Fast forward to this year. The opposition has adjusted but we're still an "explosive offense", ranking 18th in points per game. Sometimes you just have to reward people for accepting their role in an organization but alas, our society is all about the individual and 'what have you done for me lately'.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...man-bid/ar-BBEVH9E?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

That article is ridiculous. Not that anyone but the line should be blamed but if you must blame coaches, how does the line coach and offer dive coordinator escape crtiisicm?

That article is ridiculous. Not that anyone but the line should be blamed but if you must blame coaches, how does the line coach and offer dive coordinator escape crtiisicm?

The offer dive coordinator should escape NO criticism I agree!

;)

LdN

Reactions: ram2020
Dumb
He’s saying Barkley doesn’t get ball enough but if he actual watches the games you can see why.
I’m sure Franklin would give him more touches if there were people to actually block for him.

During last year's B1G championship game I recall the announcer saying SB was being used as a decoy. Fast forward to this year. The opposition has adjusted but we're still an "explosive offense", ranking 18th in points per game. Sometimes you just have to reward people for accepting their role in an organization but alas, our society is all about the individual and 'what have you done for me lately'.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...man-bid/ar-BBEVH9E?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp
It's actually the opposite. He's a low mileage back that we didn't run into the ground and he'll still be a top 5 pick. He isn't getting the heisman but when cashes his first paycheck I doubt he'll care.

One of my favorite middle eastern proverbs is appropo here:

preview_pillow.png

Reactions: Cosmos
I think most would agree that CJF did not devise an offense to showcase SB. That is ok. It isn't his job to promote an individual over the success of the team. If PSU is best served by the scheme they run (which is a different debate) then they should run it.

Barkley is a great talent, but getting him 2,000+ yards rushing on the year isn't a team goal.

Dumb
He’s saying Barkley doesn’t get ball enough but if he actual watches the games you can see why.
I’m sure Franklin would give him more touches if there were people to actually block for him.
Exactly. I don't think criticism of the coaches running and blocking schemes is unwarranted. But given that those are the schemes we run and the state of our OL, I don't know how you can criticize the coaches for not handing the ball off to him enough. It just isn't working.

Reactions: WDLion
I think most would agree that CJF did not devise an offense to showcase SB. That is ok. It isn't his job to promote an individual over the success of the team. If PSU is best served by the scheme they run (which is a different debate) then they should run it.

Barkley is a great talent, but getting him 2,000+ yards rushing on the year isn't a team goal.

He's got three games to reach 2000.... and if PSU could subcontract and offensive line. If Barkley was run into the wall 25 times a game and PSU was 2-9 and ranked 54th in points scored imagine what the idiots in the press would be writing then. When Barkley goes in the first 2-3 picks and Hamilton, Gesecki and Blacknall embark on NFL careers of accomplishment too.... what will the ne're do anythings write then.

There will always be detractors. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's like professors reviewing end of course feedback. This guy wants more demos, less lecture. The next wants the opposite. It's not that all of this stuff is completely thrown out the window but you have to understand that you can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

That said, other coaches and media favorable to their teams will look for ways to discount the development of a 4 star RB into a top 5 who showcased complete back skills without being worn down. Then they will discount the other talent in the same offense that earned it's NFL payday while only having 1 football to go around. This all coming out of a sanction depleted roster and decent post-sanction recruiting classes.

The competition simply can't come out and say Penn State is way over-performing and producing future NFL stars with considerably better recruiting classes in the pipeline. That would open the door to why Ohio St and Michigan aren't doing any better to slightly worse with all-world recruiting classes. It would be admitting that we are developing players better and this would lead smart recruits to jump on the offer to better maximize both their personal growth and the team's performance.

Urban and Hairball have to be wondering what PSU will look like fully recovered from sanctions. It's coming.

There will always be detractors. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's like professors reviewing end of course feedback. This guy wants more demos, less lecture. The next wants the opposite. It's not that all of this stuff is completely thrown out the window but you have to understand that you can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

That said, other coaches and media favorable to their teams will look for ways to discount the development of a 4 star RB into a top 5 who showcased complete back skills without being worn down. Then they will discount the other talent in the same offense that earned it's NFL payday while only having 1 football to go around. This all coming out of a sanction depleted roster and decent post-sanction recruiting classes.

The competition simply can't come out and say Penn State is way over-performing and producing future NFL stars with considerably better recruiting classes in the pipeline. That would open the door to why Ohio St and Michigan aren't doing any better to slightly worse with all-world recruiting classes. It would be admitting that we are developing players better and this would lead smart recruits to jump on the offer to better maximize both their personal growth and the team's performance.

Urban and Hairball have to be wondering what PSU will look like fully recovered from sanctions. It's coming.
Exactly! Not to mention "our guy" has an advantage over the two coaches mentioned. After all, his mother can cook soul food. It is a matter of relatability. When I look at the individual rankings of inbound recruits, OSU vs. PSU, we've still got work to do. But the gap is closing! So long as CJF continues to hire and retain innovative assistants we will be crashing the party that's been reserved for OSU and Michigan. Consider if you will, Sparty has an 8 of 10 run going against Michigan. It's time we put a similar run on one or both of them. Be a 'disruptor' much like Amazon or Tesla are in their respective industries. In other words, f_ck 'em up! Rearrange the B1G paradigm. It's no longer Woody, Bo and three yards and a cloud of dust.

If anything "destroyed" Saquon's Heisman chances, it's defenses catching up with JoMo's version of the RPO. Looks like the staff is in the process of tweaking it, but not in time to pad Saquon's stats. Should also be noted that Miles Sanders is gaining good yardage in his few snaps. There will probably be some major scheme changes in the off-season to beef up the run game.

Just depressing that we're back to 'bad OL is the reason for everything' like we were two years ago.

Franklin & JoMo definitely screwed SB's chances of Heisman which was served up on a silver platter from beginning of season to OSU/MSU losses - they should be regretful for blowing such a great opportunity which may never come around again at PSU.

Franklin & JoMo definitely screwed SB's chances of Heisman which was served up on a silver platter from beginning of season to OSU/MSU losses - they should be regretful for blowing such a great opportunity which may never come around again at PSU.
Part of the reason PSU lost those 2 games is because of the force feeding of something that wasn't working due to the trophy IMO. That and they lost the best OL on the team and Brown/Buchholz....no real pass rush on this team. If you have the ability to take multiple defenders out of the play with one man...you do it. Screw some trophy.

Last edited:
I'm sure barkley would rather have been bashing his body into the d-line over and over again on a 7 win team so he could have a shot at a heisman.

Reactions: marshall23
Exactly! Not to mention "our guy" has an advantage over the two coaches mentioned. After all, his mother can cook soul food. It is a matter of relatability. When I look at the individual rankings of inbound recruits, OSU vs. PSU, we've still got work to do. But the gap is closing! So long as CJF continues to hire and retain innovative assistants we will be crashing the party that's been reserved for OSU and Michigan. Consider if you will, Sparty has an 8 of 10 run going against Michigan. It's time we put a similar run on one or both of them. Be a 'disruptor' much like Amazon or Tesla are in their respective industries. In other words, f_ck 'em up! Rearrange the B1G paradigm. It's no longer Woody, Bo and three yards and a cloud of dust.

So Franklin's mother "can cook soul food?" She's deceased, white, and English and you're a racist pig.

It’s clear that Jesse looks at stats but never has watched a game outside of highlights.

The lack of creativity by Franklin and Moorhead has been devistating.

No hurry up and go snaps, no misdirection, no jet sweeps (real or fake), no rollouts by TM, no throwbacks, no brush-block / throws to Barkley, very few toss sweeps, no repeating of plays that were successful, no two back backfields, essentially no Stevens.

If I was a D Coordinator preparing for PSU it would be one of the easier weekends.

I respect Franklin and all that he has accomplished, but I do still believe that his lack of experience and inability (or unwillingness) to make important changes in staffing and schematics is hurting the program. He held onto Donovan a year longer than expected. He subtly misguided Hack. This year, I think he allowed the run game (rather lack thereof) to get out of hand. It was clear since Iowa that the scheme in combination with personnel was not getting the job done. SB should have 1500 rushing yards given the schedule. Last week, the run game was an embarrassment. Call me crazy, but I would have pushed Saquon to WR prior to OSU game.

Reactions: Hedonist1
I don't know where the blame lies, buuuuuuut

against OSU, up 35-20 in the 4th quarter and recovering a fumble at the OSU . . . PSU ran Saquon for a 7 yd loss, bad pass to Daesean, Saquon for 6 yds.

blocked punt ensues. OSU scores 34 seconds later

Penn State then runs 5:23 off the clock, kicks a FG, with 1 pass and 1 run to Saquon.

OSU goes 7 plays and 76 yds for a TD to pull within 5

Penn State then runs Saquon 3 straight plays for -4 yds

OSU scores on the next series

PSU tries to pass its way into FG range and fails, mostly due to horrible pass protection

I see a LOT of reasons why we lost to OSU. None of them are because we didn't run Saquon enough.

I don't know where the blame lies, buuuuuuut

against OSU, up 35-20 in the 4th quarter and recovering a fumble at the OSU . . . PSU ran Saquon for a 7 yd loss, bad pass to Daesean, Saquon for 6 yds.

blocked punt ensues. OSU scores 34 seconds later

Penn State then runs 5:23 off the clock, kicks a FG, with 1 pass and 1 run to Saquon.

OSU goes 7 plays and 76 yds for a TD to pull within 5

Penn State then runs Saquon 3 straight plays for -4 yds

OSU scores on the next series

PSU tries to pass its way into FG range and fails, mostly due to horrible pass protection

I see a LOT of reasons why we lost to OSU. None of them are because we didn't run Saquon enough.

No, we didn’t run Saquon creatively.

How about a handoff to him as he comes back into the backfield from his flanker position? How about a direct snap to him with five wideouts....or maybe Stevens or Robinson in to block for him. How about having him brush block and releasing out of the backfield in the flat? How about a few jet sweeps so the D has to play honestly?

Again, we’re not helping him to the extent that we should!

No, we didn’t run Saquon creatively.

How about a handoff to him as he comes back into the backfield from his flanker position? How about a direct snap to him with five wideouts....or maybe Stevens or Robinson in to block for him. How about having him brush block and releasing out of the backfield in the flat? How about a few jet sweeps so the D has to play honestly?

Again, we’re not helping him to the extent that we should!

I'd like to see more bubble and wheel routes to SB, but it seems like there are always 5 guys keying on him. every play. and running Saquon over and over and over again . . . well we're not Stanford. our O Line doesn't create 7 yard gaps. we have to be more creative against better teams

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
These things are always great in hindesight. Problem is, CJF and JoeMo need to make these calls in realtime.

Fact is, it all changed when Bates went down.

Were CJF and JoeMo bad coaches for 7.65 games?

Reminds me of the line that my coach is prejudiced for 6-2 240 guys that can run 4.5 forties. At some point, players gotta play.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
These things are always great in hindesight. Problem is, CJF and JoeMo need to make these calls in realtime.

Fact is, it all changed when Bates went down.

Were CJF and JoeMo bad coaches for 7.65 games?

Reminds me of the line that my coach is prejudiced for 6-2 240 guys that can run 4.5 forties. At some point, players gotta play.

^^^THIS^^^

that was kind of my point about the end of the OSU game. they ran SB. it didn't work. cannot keep calling his number he's getting hit 7 yds in the backfield.

Think about a direct snap or quick toss to Barkley going in one direction and a quick reverse off that going the other direction. Do that once or twice a game s/b a good gainer AND it’ll slow down all the pursuit, make the D play more honestly. Often the difference between a big play and an awful play is a slight hesitation or one step slower by the D.

Also like to see some three and four wideout formations to one side, a direct snap to Barkley going the other way.

I've never heard of Jesse Reed, and SportsNaut looks like a 3rd-tier rumor/opinion site. If MSN paid more than 50 cents to carry that content, they paid too much.

Last edited:
I respect Franklin and all that he has accomplished, but I do still believe that his lack of experience and inability (or unwillingness) to make important changes in staffing and schematics is hurting the program. He held onto Donovan a year longer than expected. He subtly misguided Hack. This year, I think he allowed the run game (rather lack thereof) to get out of hand. It was clear since Iowa that the scheme in combination with personnel was not getting the job done. SB should have 1500 rushing yards given the schedule. Last week, the run game was an embarrassment. Call me crazy, but I would have pushed Saquon to WR prior to OSU game.
Please inform us of the staff changes he should make. Also, how did he subtly misguide Hack?

Reactions: Limestone_Lion
With the benefit of cookbooks I can cook soul food, Korean, and a myriad of other cuisines. And I assume that you know the difference between present and past tense. I stand by my statement.

People are so quick to accuse of racism that it has totally lost its value. I remember hearing Franklin talking about his mom cooking soul food for recruits. Why would the poster's comment be anything but a reference to that story from Franklin himself? It is the simplest explanation. Is anything not racist? Are our whiteouts racist to you?

Reactions: TangSoo

Good grief, he will be a top ten, if not a top five draft pick. how many Heisman winners ended up great Pro players anyway?

So Franklin's mother "can cook soul food?" She's deceased, white, and English and you're a racist pig.

Gee whiz Art, who pissed in your Cheerios. I'm merely pointing out the fact CJF's upbringing provides an unique perspective, and he uses it to relate to young people. I might be showing my age but young people are more relaxed on issues of race than my generation and, based on your knee-jerk reaction, your generation as well. That is all. That said, my Hispanic wife says I've more work to do in this area. Who am I to disagree. o_O

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT