ADVERTISEMENT

American Red Cross Donation Information.

After Katrina there was an uproar because the Red Cross collected a huge amount of money but used much of the money elsewhere. RC said they always had the right to decide where moneys were used. IIRC, they underwent reforms so that money could be directed to specific causes but not sure. Anyone know for sure?

After Katrina there was an uproar because the Red Cross collected a huge amount of money but used much of the money elsewhere. RC said they always had the right to decide where moneys were used. IIRC, they underwent reforms so that money could be directed to specific causes but not sure. Anyone know for sure?
Found this at Texas TV (KXXV) station site:

Q. Will my donation stay in areas affected by Hurricane Harvey?

A. The Red Cross honors donor intent. Donors can designate their donation to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts by choosing that option when donating on redcross.org or on 1-800-RED CROSS. The best way to ensure your donation will go to a specific disaster is to write the specific disaster name in the memo line of a check. We also recommend completing and mailing the donation form on redcross.org with your check.

As posted above, some may have concerns about donating to the Red Cross based on past events. If so, here are some alternative organizations you can donate to if you are so inclined.

National Voluntary Organizations in Disaster: www.nvoad.org
Houston Food Bank: www.houstonfoodbank.org
Greater Houston Community Foundation: http://ghcf.org

I haven't seen a lot of specifics for organizations that are targeting help for some of the smaller coastal communities, but areas like Port Aransas, Aransas Pass, Rockport, Corpus Christi, Bastrop, etc. will likely also need help so please keep them in mind. Houston is justifiably dominating the news right now given the number of people at risk, but there are many, many areas of Texas that will need help in the coming months.

Reactions: step.eng69
I'd rather donate to a charity that will actually try to use my donation for the charity that motivated me to donate.

The Red Cross isn't that. Don't get me wrong, they do fine work, but still

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT