ADVERTISEMENT

Although Godwin will be missed, don't discount how well our passing game could be this season!

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
First of all, our OL should be able to open more passing lanes for Trace McSorley if they become more mobile and roll out with him for better protection. We sometimes forget that Trace is vertically challenged and needs to be able to throw over some of the taller DLmen. If our running game can be more consistent, especially earlier in the first half, then the passing game will open up sooner. Also, we have 3 WR's who are 6'3" or taller, plus Gesicki at 6'6" who is also a potential deep threat. Hamilton should see more action this season (even though he is only 6'1":)). Can you imagine what nightmares our taller WR's and TE's will pose for the shorter secondary defenders if TM has more time to find the open receiver? Also, our dark horse WR, if healthy enough not to be red shirted, is KJ Hamler. KJ has unbelievable speed and quick burst ability to find open space. Polk is another possibility here as well, especially if Hamler's rehabbed knee is not 100%. Therefore, we have a full platoon of ready and able receiver choices with Blacknall (my choice as TM's go to guy), Gesicki (#2 go to guy if Blacknall is not open), JJ (the coaches are raving about his breakout year possibility), Charles (I believe he will also have a breakout season if he concentrates on catching the ball first before looking for YACs), Hamilton, Polk and possibly Hamler. Should be quite an exciting upcoming season!

Gesicki is uncoverable because of size and leaping ability. He can essentially be targeted anywhere, anytime as long as Trace puts some air under it. Blacknall is a nightmare because his speed is so outstanding for his size -- he will get the other team's best corner this year with Godwin gone.

After that, it's a lot of questions. If either Johnson or Charlies emerges this year -- and a fairly good chance of it happening, as they're both third year players -- then I think PSU has too much size for most of the secondaries it's going to see.

But even if they don't get another big guy going, Moorhead can create so many problems with Thompkins and Polk and their speed.

Last edited:
Another aspect of the passing game that could be a LOT stronger this year will be throws to the backs. Barkley and Robinson both have great receiver skills and, with the improvement on the OL, they will be needed less in protection and more free to release as a safety valve.

One of my favorite plays was the last TD against Michigan State last year. MSU blitzed everybody they could, put their corners on an island and counted on getting to Trace before the wides could get separation. So Moorhead released Robinson to the center of the field and Trace just flicked it over this wall of blitzing MSU players. So easy. Sandlot football.

Another aspect of the passing game that could be a LOT stronger this year will be throws to the backs. Barkley and Robinson both have great receiver skills and, with the improvement on the OL, they will be needed less in protection and more free to release as a safety valve.

One of my favorite plays was the last TD against Michigan State last year. MSU blitzed everybody they could, put their corners on an island and counted on getting to Trace before the wides could get separation. So Moorhead released Robinson to the center of the field and Trace just flicked it over this wall of blitzing MSU players. So easy. Sandlot football.
My favorite TD to a RB was Barkley's wheel route in the corner of the end zone against Wisky, and with their best LB trying to cover him! When you think of the diversity we have as receiving targets, we actually have more weapons than we did in our 1994 offense. McSorley certainly is not the passer that Collins was, but his greater mobility giving him more time to find an open receiver makes him equally or even more dangerous!

Reactions: bmejnes
My favorite TD to a RB was Barkley's wheel route in the corner of the end zone against Wisky, and with their best LB trying to cover him! When you think of the diversity we have as receiving targets, we actually have more weapons than we did in our 1994 offense. McSorley certainly is not the passer that Collins was, but his greater mobility giving him more time to find an open receiver makes him equally or even more dangerous!

Yeah a LB (even an NFL caliber LB) on Barkley is just ridiculous. He is way too explosive. That one was on the Wisky D-coordinator. If teams don't want to see a lot of wheel route TDs this year they will have to deploy safeties to help (which is easier said than done). And that will open up something else.

McSorley puts a lot of mustard on his passes. And some of the receivers could catch the deep ball with a pair of tongs. And Gesecki, he just makes everybody else look like munchkins!

Reactions: step.eng69
The OL "should" be pretty good and then VERY good later in the year with more experience. This should allow the WRs more time to get separation. So, we could then actually be able to make a first down on a 3rd and 1. If we had that capability against USC we win that one easily.
It will be interesting to see how conservative we become "IF" we can now play "ball control".

What I really like is that we can run any offense out of any formation and/or personnel package. Defenses can't read out personnel package and put their package in to counter it. That creates matchup problems all over the field.

If your first priority is bringing the S up to stop #26's runs, while leaving a LB to cover him, you are exposed due to his exceptional speed and pass catching. You put in some good run stopping corners and you have a 6-6 TE roaming the secondary. You can break off a deep route and throw underneath on those defenses aimed at stopping the deep ball. you can extend a route and beat someone over the top if you get single coverage and or coverage by a S. Size, speed, quickness, decision making...you've got it all. When the defense shows their hand, you exploit what they are giving you.

If we stay healthy, the best offense we may have ever seen at PSU (with all due respect to the '94 team that ran in a totally different era of football and PSU's brand of football).

The OL "should" be pretty good and then VERY good later in the year with more experience. This should allow the WRs more time to get separation. So, we could then actually be able to make a first down on a 3rd and 1. If we had that capability against USC we win that one easily.
It will be interesting to see how conservative we become "IF" we can now play "ball control".

Oh, happy days! I don't what I'll do if we actually start converting 3rd and <2 into first downs. Please make it so, OL.

Reactions: BBrown
Gesicki is uncoverable because of size and leaping ability. He can essentially be targeted anywhere, anytime as long as Trace puts some air under it. Blacknall is a nightmare because his speed is so outstanding for his size -- he will get the other team's best corner this year with Godwin gone.

After that, it's a lot of questions. If either Johnson or Charlies emerges this year -- and a fairly good chance of it happening, as they're both third year players -- then I think PSU has too much size for most of the secondaries it's going to see.

But even if they don't get another big guy going, Moorhead can create so many problems with Thompkins and Polk and their speed.

Its going to be fun to watch. I have a feeling there is going to be some "chunk" yardage on short crossing routes.
I think the # of catches the WR's get is going to go down but I think the YAC is going to go way up.

The receiver's, including the TE, have such size and speed, that I'd be shocked if they didn't break records. Especially with the running back stable they have. Load up to stop the run and get killed.

The receiver's, including the TE, have such size and speed, that I'd be shocked if they didn't break records. Especially with the running back stable they have. Load up to stop the run and get killed.
Yes, or play back to protect the pass with CBs and LBs and Barkley runs wild!

Yes, or play back to protect the pass with CBs and LBs and Barkley runs wild!

For two seasons everybody defended PSU by playing safeties down and making sure there was pressure in the backfield. Just not viable now because of McSorley. USC won the Rose Bowl at the end playing safeties back. So I bet we see more of that. Which should be good for the running game, passing out of the backfield, short crossing routes, screens.

We'll also see more attention paid to shadowing Trace. I think it was Maryland who assigned a safety to that last year -- it didn't work in that case because the player couldn't execute, but it's a good tactic. Teams are going to have to scheme for trying to get a LB or safety to the middle of the LOS when Trace steps up in the center of pocket and either takes off or throws deep. That's the play that killed people last year. Defense are going to have scheme for that.

For two seasons everybody defended PSU by playing safeties down and making sure there was pressure in the backfield. Just not viable now because of McSorley. USC won the Rose Bowl at the end playing safeties back. So I bet we see more of that. Which should be good for the running game, passing out of the backfield, short crossing routes, screens.

We'll also see more attention paid to shadowing Trace. I think it was Maryland who assigned a safety to that last year -- it didn't work in that case because the player couldn't execute, but it's a good tactic. Teams are going to have to scheme for trying to get a LB or safety to the middle of the LOS when Trace steps up in the center of pocket and either takes off or throws deep. That's the play that killed people last year. Defense are going to have scheme for that.
This is all true. USC guessed right at the right time to win the Rose Bowl. They were burned earlier for guessing wrong. With so many options we use, we should be making more right calls than wrong all season long as we can burn a defense if they don't constantly change their looks on us!

So THAT's where he learned those moves. ;-)
Chi, Read this article earlier today ,.....
: Penn State WR KJ Hamler might have the most entertaining parents in college football
Screenshot-2017-07-08-at-2.29.57-PM_unkiu5.png

Penn State WR KJ Hamler's parents had some fun to celebrate their son's birthday.
KJ Hamler/Twitter
Pianovich-mug_jnxppj.jpg

Stephen Pianovich
@SPianovich
Posted 24 hours ago

It can be tough for parents who send their children away to college — especially when they miss special moments like birthdays.

KJ Hamler, a freshman wide receiver for Penn State, turned 18 Saturday. He’s already on campus in Happy Valley while his parents are home in Pontiac, Mich. But they weren’t going to miss out on the celebration.

Hamler’s parents — Latonya Gooding and Thomas Hamler — sent their son a customized birthday rap while wearing Penn State gear. His mom carries most of the song with bars like, “It’s going to be amazing when you come through the door, and that No. 1 Nittany Lion finally roars.” Hamler’s dad spends most of the video breaking down dance moves.

Hamler posted the video on Twitter, setting the bar for college football parents across the country.

First of all, our OL should be able to open more passing lanes for Trace McSorley if they become more mobile and roll out with him for better protection. We sometimes forget that Trace is vertically challenged and needs to be able to throw over some of the taller DLmen. If our running game can be more consistent, especially earlier in the first half, then the passing game will open up sooner. Also, we have 3 WR's who are 6'3" or taller, plus Gesicki at 6'6" who is also a potential deep threat. Hamilton should see more action this season (even though he is only 6'1":)). Can you imagine what nightmares our taller WR's and TE's will pose for the shorter secondary defenders if TM has more time to find the open receiver? Also, our dark horse WR, if healthy enough not to be red shirted, is KJ Hamler. KJ has unbelievable speed and quick burst ability to find open space. Polk is another possibility here as well, especially if Hamler's rehabbed knee is not 100%. Therefore, we have a full platoon of ready and able receiver choices with Blacknall (my choice as TM's go to guy), Gesicki (#2 go to guy if Blacknall is not open), JJ (the coaches are raving about his breakout year possibility), Charles (I believe he will also have a breakout season if he concentrates on catching the ball first before looking for YACs), Hamilton, Polk and possibly Hamler. Should be quite an exciting upcoming season!

I believe Hamler has a 99 percent chance of redshirting. Polk and Thomkins are similar players plus Hamilton also in the slot. I don't believe CJF will rush Hamlet into action and basically waste a year of his eligibility.

Penn State obviously has a lot of talent among the wide receivers and with Gesicki. As we've discussed before, the question is whether any of the wide receivers will step up as a leader and the go-to guy in the clutch to replace Godwin. Thompkins and Johnson are downfield threats, but it takes more than athleticism to be the #1.

Penn State obviously has a lot of talent among the wide receivers and with Gesicki. As we've discussed before, the question is whether any of the wide receivers will step up as a leader and the go-to guy in the clutch to replace Godwin. Thompkins and Johnson are downfield threats, but it takes more than athleticism to be the #1.

Godwin was good, but I am sure the competition in practice alone prepared some of the others. We have seen lots of receivers as good or better than Godwin. He was not irreplaceable

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT