ADVERTISEMENT

AKB: Way OT: 10x10’ beach canopy?

RTRMR

Oct 14, 2018
So.....I recently bought a 10x10’ beach canopy.
My wife and I are both off on Wednesdays, so we’ve been doing day trips to all of the local beaches, every Wednesday.
My question is this:
Does anyone have any tips as to how to keep these from blowing away(other than the worthless tent spikes they give you)?
Ours keeps blowing away/pulling the (worthless) tent stakes out of the ground.
Thanks.

So.....I recently bought a 10x10’ beach canopy.
My wife and I are both off on Wednesdays, so we’ve been doing day trips to all of the local beaches, every Wednesday.
My question is this:
Does anyone have any tips as to how to keep these from blowing away(other than the worthless tent spikes they give you)?
Ours keeps blowing away/pulling the (worthless) tent stakes out of the ground.
Thanks.

What do the base of the legs look like? Any pics?

Had the same problem. I always wanted one with holes/flaps on the (sailors, help me out) leeward(?) side but could never find one. Try longer stakes.

We used to use the sandbags that velcro around the legs, but many of the beaches started banning the pop-up tents like that, so we purchased a Cool Cabana. Used it last week for the first time and it was great.

What do the base of the legs look like? Any pics?
woman-bare-feet-sand-beach.jpg

There are lots of options. They sell bags to weight the legs down, can usually be filled with sand or water and emptied for transporting them. Some also have metal weights with slots in them to slide around the legs but over the foot of the canopy. Heavier duty stakes that auger into sand hold better than the thin straight ones. Thin metal augers might still fit in the holes in the feet of the canopy or thicker ones will need to be used with a guyline. If winds aren't too bad sometimes you can get away with simply burying the legs in the sand a bit, at the expense of standing room height. On Texas beaches we usually just bring a shovel and slightly bury the legs but the sand here is hard packed vs. many other beaches. If all else fails just lower the canopy down to a shorter leg position so it doesn't catch as much wind. You might not be able to stand under it anymore but if you're sitting you should be fine.

The ones with triangular feet are nice. We shimmy each foot down into the sand and the canopy is rock solid.

If you're not feeling creative, they sell bags that wrap around the legs that you can fill with sand or gravel

Reactions: step.eng69
The wife and I used to use the canopy’s and had enough of holding them down...got 2 of these and haven’t looked back since.

Been on the beach when umbrellas and tents are flying around and ours isn’t moving at all.

Best beach purchase we’ve ever made.

BEACHBUB All-in-One Beach Umbrella System. Includes 7 ½' (50+ UPF) Umbrella, Oversize Bag, Base & Accessory Kit Amazon product ASIN B00YF49VZC

In a pinch, I would just dig holes about a foot deep, spike the legs in the bottom of the holes and then fill the holes with sand. You could also lower the side facing the wind.

Reactions: ST8FAN
We just got back from vacation and used a canopy on the beach for the 1st time. We used a shovel to dig down 8-10 inches then packed wet sand around each leg. It is easy, quick, and very effective.

My wife hires a "cabana boy" every time we spend more than a day at the beach. I used to fight it but it's pretty nice walking to beach and having a prime piece of beach with shade waiting for you upon arrival. She them setup around 6:30 AM and pickup around 5:00 PM...every day we're there. If we're more than a half block from the beach she has them take all the gear and bring it back everyday.

Using one of the kids sand shovels get the legs in a good 6/8 maybe even 10 in before covering back up. Bring a couple bungee cords and we hang our stuff from two opposite corners. The one bag has snacks and things for the kids in it so it's at least 5 lb if not 10 and the other bag we put all of our shoes and other things in so it works out well.

While these are nice to have they are cheap and the legs bend and break like a Rutgers defense. There isn't much you can do with decent winds and these things. I've broken a few.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wral.com/three-north-carolina-entrepreneurs-are-bringing-shade-back-to-the-beach/19175656/?version=amp

These things are all over the beaches in the Carolinas and look like they work very well.. a little pricey and supposed to be hard to find.. but they don’t fight the wind, they use it to stay upright and provide shade
Holy crap. $250 for 1 long tent pole and a sheet of ripstop nylon? Their profit margins on this must be insane. Someone in China could knock this off and sell it for less than $50. What happens if there's not enough wind to keep the fabric extended?

I am at the Jersey Shore now and there is a ton of those things here - I hate them because people use them to wall off whole section of the beach front - I see them out there at 8:00 in the morning “saving” their spots - with that being said most I see use sand bag filled and tied to the legs or small buckets filled and tied - if you don’t have small kids or a large family not sure why you need the things but to each his own - they are great for staying dry in the rain behind Beaver Stadium - those we the days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT