ADVERTISEMENT

AKB: Things to see and do in Napa....

Wife and I are planning a short trip to Napa in the fall (10 Year Anniversary) and instead of rummaging through Yelp and Trip Advisor for what I'm sure will be useless tips, I'm going to the All Knowing Board for first hand advice and experiences. The trip is in its early planning phase, but we'll likely stay in Napa and will have a rental car. We're interested in wineries (not too stuffy, but of quality and representative of the area - anything historical is good too) and local cuisine (will probably try to get a reservation at The French Laundry one night) and any other neat experiential adventures (drives, hikes, sightseeing, etc.). We'll likely fly into San Francisco and drive from there. Budget is not unlimited, but want to make sure whatever we spend is worth it (even if on the expensive side).

Thanks in advance....

tenor.gif
Turnbull in Napa. Not a fancy place, but great wine. We did a tour and wine tasting class at Mondavi, which was fun. It will be easier to find a spot in that sort of thing at a larger winery like Mondavi. Sterling is also worth a visit for the tour and views. Not my favorite wine, but a beautiful place.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
After being retired for 5 years got a call from a friend to come out to Healdsburg (Sonoma County) for a 18 month gig. Going on month 12 and agree with all the suggestions.

My apartment is in a vineyard next door to Jordan Winery. Lost count on how many vineyards been to but I’ve yet to walk out of one wherever we didn’t have a fantastic time. Really hard to go wrong.

Two suggestions: Thursday night Geyserville Trentadue Winery - wonderful patio with a band playing relaxing music guaranteed wifey will like.

Russian River Brewery - while I like the original in Santa Rosa take the wife to their new location in Windsor. All the same line up but the vibe is that wives like it much better than the “bar” downtown SR.

For an outdoor excursion, Point Reyes National Seashore is beautiful. One of my favorite places when we lived in the area. The lighthouse is apparently being restored this year but should be ready by the time of your visit.

I second this recommendation!

A great drive from the Golden Gate is to Muir Woods, out to Stinson Beach and Drake’s Bay and THEN inland to the wine country. You’ll never regret this journey!

So, there is a lot of good advice in this thread and I agree with plenty. Actually stayed in Yountville at the Napa Valley lodge last summer. Went during Fourth of July week, which is at Napa’s peak. Paid about $475/night for a vineyard view suite. Really clean and if you love looking at vines, perfect. Now staying at Bardessano for that week would have run about $800/night. We were staying 5 nights. Personally, I’d rather over pay for winery experiences such as Opus One and Caymus than pay almost twice for lodging. Loved those two wineries by the way.

We signed up for 5 Wine clubs (V Sattui, BV, Foley Johnson, Hope and Grace and Sebastiani (Sonoma)) and still have three of those (Hope and Grace, Sebastiani and BV). All of these were great wines and great tasting rooms.

Food, can’t go wrong with Rutherford Grille, Mustards, Coles Chop House, Bouchon. I liked Gotts Roadside, but the burgers a little rare for my taste.

We enjoyed it so much we booked again but in Sonoma this Fourth of July week. Want to experience their wines. Will still go back to Napa for a day to say hi to my Wine clubs. Hope this helps.

I'm a bit surprised that no one suggested Auberge du Soleil in Rutherford (off of the Silverado Trail) as a dining option with a great view from their huge patio. NapaNit took my wife and me there about 5 years ago.

As noted many times in this thread, V. Sattui is a must stop. Go there hungry. Their prepared food is really good!

We enjoyed it so much we booked again but in Sonoma this Fourth of July week. Want to experience their wines. Will still go back to Napa for a day to say hi to my Wine clubs. Hope this helps.

If you haven't book a hotel yet, I would strongly suggest The Vintner's Inn. When we went to Napa about 5 years ago we also stayed in the Napa Valley Lodge with a view of the vines. Vintner's Inn has similar rooms and views. They also have a great restaurant in John Ash & Co. Great happy hour with good by the glass selections and small plates.

We thought we'd go back to Napa for most of our stay as well. For the week, we went to Napa once. Tons to do in Sonoma. Maybe I should have started a new thread. Sorry for the theft.

If you haven't book a hotel yet, I would strongly suggest The Vintner's Inn. When we went to Napa about 5 years ago we also stayed in the Napa Valley Lodge with a view of the vines. Vintner's Inn has similar rooms and views. They also have a great restaurant in John Ash & Co. Great happy hour with good by the glass selections and small plates.

We thought we'd go back to Napa for most of our stay as well. For the week, we went to Napa once. Tons to do in Sonoma. Maybe I should have started a new thread. Sorry for the theft.
Thank you for the suggestion! We actually booked the Olea Hotel in Glen Ellen, but strongly considered Vintners Inn. I will check it out again as my wife loves vineyard views. We liked the location of the Olea as it’s about 10 mins from downtown Sonoma. I will check Vintner’s out again.

Thank you for the suggestion! We actually booked the Olea Hotel in Glen Ellen, but strongly considered Vintners Inn. I will check it out again as my wife loves vineyard views. We liked the location of the Olea as it’s about 10 mins from downtown Sonoma. I will check Vintner’s out again.
Downtown Sonoma is a great place, but a day or so is enough. Being out in Santa Rosa puts you much closer to the center of what you want to see: the drive out to the coast through the redwoods (Coast is spectacular with Bodega Bay and The Birds) Healdsburg (lots of tasting rooms and great eats).

You need to think about what experience you and your partner want. Visiting these wineries is an extremely personal preference. You have essentially 4 categories.

No reservations - walk in, tasting for 4 or 6 wines where they run you right through them, one will be their "reserve for $90 that was rated by so and so 93+), stand at a counter, good people watching, walk the grounds, take some great pics for FB or Instagram. Cost $10-20 (V. Sattui, Domaine Carneros, Chandon, Stag's Leap)

Reservations/group - Have to make a reservation although they sometimes can be done day of. Sit you at a private table or area where you are not bumping elbows. Might include a tour. They will pour 4-6 wines one time through. Cost $40-75 (Schramsburg, Frog's Leap, Nickel & Nickel, Far Niente, Phelps, David Arthur etc BTW all these wines are amazing in my opinion)

Private tasting - Need to make in advance. Pull up to locked gate and announce yourself. Maybe at most see one other couple in the distance or leaving. Walk the cave, wine making area, they will pour 3-5 wines however they will let you revisit any of them as much as you want so you end up drinking a lot of really expensive wine. Cost $75-125+. (Italics, Sinegal, Revana, William Cole, Young Inglewood)

Unique experience - Wine blending class, barrel tasting, picnic and ATV ride etc. Cost $75+ (Phelps Insignia Blending, Del Dotto food Pairing, etc)

Do you want to ship a bunch of wine home, are you looking to hit as many as possible, do you want a truly romantic time away that only places like Napa can do. Did you drink a bottle of Mumm after you proposed then you probably want to go there. Or maybe you go up to Ovid and taste $300 bottle of wine and million dollar views etc etc.

Moral of the story is I encourage you to think about what you are looking for. Also not discussed is traffic and crowds. You don't want to be crossing across the valley back and forth or you will waste a lot of time.

I would never go to V. Sattui, but that is b/c I am looking for a much different experience not b/c one is better than the other.

I see everyone is giving you the 4 and 5 star recommendations so I thought I'd throw in a couple of 3 stars. Both are in Calistoga, a wonderful little town.

Best Western Plus Stevenson Manor Don't laugh, it's pretty nice and will run you around $150 a night weekdays.
https://www.stevensonmanor.com/

Calistoga Motor Lodge and Spa I like place and the price which should be about $250 a night weekdays. My wife loves the spa. They also have lots of activities such as group hiking, arts, etc.
https://www.calistogamotorlodgeandspa.com/hotel/the-cml-experience/

Both of the above are within easy walking distance to hiking trails and several vineyards. Calistoga is know for hot springs and mineral water and you'll find the hot tubs are filled with local mineral water. The town has a restaurant or two for every taste and budget. When your ready to leave Napa, head west from Calistoga and stop at the Petrified Forest on the way to Sonoma.

Here is a google map with the pointer on the Motor Lodge but you can also see the location of the Best Western. You'll notice the Oat Hill Trail just across the street and many vineyards right near by.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...2019-10-07!2i2!8m2!3d38.587452!4d-122.5762201

Yes, I like the 4 and 5 star places as well, but I thought some here may appreciate hearing about a few places in Napa that won't break the bank.

Okay, so saving all this awesome advice for when I can actually go to Napa. Had to tone down our anniversary plans this year because of a circumstances beyond my control. We decided instead to go somewhere within driving distance and will be going to Montauk in the summer. We went last year and really loved it but with kids our options were pretty limited. Looking for things to do, places to see, restaurants/bars to visit in/around the Hamptons. Last time we stayed exclusively in Montauk but would like to get out to some of the other beaches and villages/hamlets this time. Anyone have any restaurant/bar recommendations? Beaches? Other places/venues of interest? Wife and I like to relax for the most part (think pool lounging, bar service, spa, etc.) but also like to enjoy nature. Appreciate any recommendations!

Okay, so saving all this awesome advice for when I can actually go to Napa. Had to tone down our anniversary plans this year because of a circumstances beyond my control. We decided instead to go somewhere within driving distance and will be going to Montauk in the summer. We went last year and really loved it but with kids our options were pretty limited. Looking for things to do, places to see, restaurants/bars to visit in/around the Hamptons. Last time we stayed exclusively in Montauk but would like to get out to some of the other beaches and villages/hamlets this time. Anyone have any restaurant/bar recommendations? Beaches? Other places/venues of interest? Wife and I like to relax for the most part (think pool lounging, bar service, spa, etc.) but also like to enjoy nature. Appreciate any recommendations!
first step ... watch S1 of The Affair

We did Napa for our 10th last year. I went repeat what many others have mentioned, but doing Sterling right after the Castle tour and tasting seemed like quite a letdown. Maybe Sterling would've been better first.

Napa Valley Bike Tour was great as well. We did full day tour. Half day would've probably been enough. Stopped at some cool vineyards and had a great ride though.

PvSijkT.gif

Me at wine tastings (on left):

SardonicEcstaticBats-size_restricted.gif
Great Sideways reference. Drink Pinot Noir! That was a fun movie. We’ve visited what used to be the Sanford Winery that was featured in the film in Solvang, Santa Barbara County, and also picked up some Magic Dust from the Hitching Post Restaurant there. The Fess Parker winery there was also very nice but much more commercial.

Just went to Napa for the first time yesterday. Third time is a charm. First try to go there was on 9/11 after attending a meeting in downtown SF (actually a couple of days after the incident). We used our rental car to drive back home to Ohio. Second time we were visiting our daughter in Livermore in fall of 2017 when the fires started. We thought maybe this time an earthquake would cancel out our visit, but nothing happened.

Had our first tasting at Jessup’s in Yountville (wine and cheese pairing), then had an unbelievably good lunch at Bouchon Bakery in town just down the road from Jessup’s. We followed with a tasting at Clos du val. Our daughter and husband have memberships to both, so cost was not an issue.

There are so many ways to do Napa. It is truly one of my favorite places and I don’t really drink wine. I typically bring beer with me and my wife drinks wine. You can go and hit really fancy expensive restaurants. Or you can go and get really great moderately priced food! I always try and hit Russian River Brewery in Sonoma.

Wife and I are planning a short trip to Napa in the fall (10 Year Anniversary) and instead of rummaging through Yelp and Trip Advisor for what I'm sure will be useless tips, I'm going to the All Knowing Board for first hand advice and experiences. The trip is in its early planning phase, but we'll likely stay in Napa and will have a rental car. We're interested in wineries (not too stuffy, but of quality and representative of the area - anything historical is good too) and local cuisine (will probably try to get a reservation at The French Laundry one night) and any other neat experiential adventures (drives, hikes, sightseeing, etc.). We'll likely fly into San Francisco and drive from there. Budget is not unlimited, but want to make sure whatever we spend is worth it (even if on the expensive side).

Thanks in advance....

tenor.gif
Aw. I just saw this post for the first time. Congrats on the anniversary. Sorry to hear you’re postponing Napa. Was going to rec Chateau Montelena and Far Niente and scrolled until I saw both mentioned-then I saw you’re postponing. But since you’re saving the info, wanted to weigh in on those two. Been to a bunch there but those two really stood out for me. Have a great trip.

I spend a fair amount of time in Napa and want to share some of my favorite wineries with you.

Don't listen to this post as far as the wine goes......Silver Oak, it's fine, but it is vastly overrated. National Steakhouses have helped the branding of the wine, but don't come to Napa or Sonoma and drink there....Silverado and Statue are tourist traps....(I will list my favorites shortly)

1. Sattui - A gem in valley. Great cabs and some excellent dessert wines that you can not find in any stores. Go to the tasting room and enjoy the experience. It's free to taste and the Som there is amazing. Really engaging guy and pours nice tasters. Make sure to try their "Angelica", but give it a full nose first and try to discern how it will taste. Be prepared for a complete surprise (I buy this by the case).

2. Whatever you do, stay away from the wine train. At. All. Costs. Its all hype and you really miss the true Napa experience.

3. Silverado Winery is a great place. Its on the Silverado Trail and sits a little higher than the valley so their wines have different notes. I love this place not only for the great wine, but they have some fantastic art work. Take a tour or make nice with the Som and ask to see upstairs. Give a tip and you will get to see some amazing artwork (the biggest piece hung in Grand Central Station in NYC at the turn of the 20th Century.). I always make sure to visit here at least twice a year.

4. A lot of people will tell you that Opus One is great, but I've never really agreed. If you are going to pay 100+ for wine, the gold standard for the "name brand stuff" is Silver Oak. Try and find an '11 or splurge and get the '07. Both are magnificent and worthy of a 10 year anniversary (JUST MAKE SURE TO LET IT BREATH FOR AT LEAST 30 MINS)

5. Take some time walking the streets of St. Helena (north of Napa). Go into the shops and just enjoy the vibe.

6. Visit and have lunch at Gott's Roadside stand on Hwy 29 (Used to be called Taylors Refresher. Fun place to begin and the food is great. Get there early as it gets packed for lunch).

7. Find your way up past St. Helena to Calistoga and venture around there as well. Hit up Ballentine Vineyards and enjoy. Its also a very cool place and the winemaker there is a humble and down to earth dude.

8. Pay for the tour of the Sattui Castle (north of St. Helena) and make sure to pony up a few extra bucks to see the dungeon. Stay away from the wine here as they serve and sell the rejects. Its not as good as the prime store I mentioned earlier. The castle used to stand in England and they brought it over and reassembled it block by block over a 10 year span. It is truly awesome to explore. Its an experience so allow for at least 4 hours.

9. The Mustard Seed or Rutherford Grill would be my choice to take your lady to dinner if you want a nice meal and great selection of wine. The food is fantastic (unless you can sneak into the "French Laundry"... Google it. It carries 2 Michelin Stars...)

10. Take your time and just wander around the whole valley. We NorCal folks are spoiled with Napa, but it is a truly magical place. Shoot me a message if you would like more options.

Have fun and happy anniversary!!!

Here are my recommendations, I will list why I recommend, since I am not entirely sure whether you just want great wine, or want great experiences or both:
Napa Area:

Downtonwn: Make an appointment with John Anthony Vineyards......Fantastic Cabs and Syrahs. They ain't cheap, but they are damn good.

Napa Vineyards: (so Napa is damn expensive, but here goes:

Provenance, a lot of cabs and merlots to choose from. I used to be a member, but prices have increased to the point where I just don't want to spend the money. You will see their basic cab in stores, but they have access to some great single vineyards due to their prior head winemaker's connections to Duckhorn.. See if they have any of their Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard Cabs left, grab them, you can't get anything from that Vineyard for less.

Duckhorn- Sleek Tasting Rooms, great wines.

Miner Family- you don't need an appointment, and they have some great Cabs and you need to try "The Oracle".

Cliff Lede- has a cool vibe and solid wines at reasonable prices (reasonable for Napa anyway)

Reynolds Family- If you want fantastic Cabs and Merlots, this is your place. Rustic inside, but you will not go wrong with their wines, and their prices are not bad (once again for Napa)

Pride Family- someone else mentioned this, great cabs, merlots and Cab Francs. Their Cab Franc is very limited. Their tastings usually include a tour. Their vineyard is interesting since part of it is in Sonoma and other part is in Napa.

Finally, If you want to treat yourself to elite Napa wine, go to Spottswoode.

Sonoma (Healdsburg Area)
A. Raffanelli- Old School winery, ran by old school Italian Family. Not fancy, appointment needed.
Killer Zins, merlot is fantastic (extremely limited) and Cabs are fantastic for their price point.

Sbragia- their high end cabs are good, a great place to picnic with tremendous views on their porch.

Hawkes (also located in Sonoma Square in downtown Sonoma. This place makes big Cabs, without the big Napa prices (these are less than 100)

Lambert Bridge- another place that is great for picnics. Solid wines, a bit overpriced.

If you end up in downtown Healdsburg, Davis Family has some nice pinots and syrahs.

I spend a fair amount of time in Napa and want to share some of my favorite wineries with you.

1. Sattui - A gem in valley. Great cabs and some excellent dessert wines that you can not find in any stores. Go to the tasting room and enjoy the experience. It's free to taste and the Som there is amazing. Really engaging guy and pours nice tasters. Make sure to try their "Angelica", but give it a full nose first and try to discern how it will taste. Be prepared for a complete surprise (I buy this by the case).

2. Whatever you do, stay away from the wine train. At. All. Costs. Its all hype and you really miss the true Napa experience.

3. Silverado Winery is a great place. Its on the Silverado Trail and sits a little higher than the valley so their wines have different notes. I love this place not only for the great wine, but they have some fantastic art work. Take a tour or make nice with the Som and ask to see upstairs. Give a tip and you will get to see some amazing artwork (the biggest piece hung in Grand Central Station in NYC at the turn of the 20th Century.). I always make sure to visit here at least twice a year.

4. A lot of people will tell you that Opus One is great, but I've never really agreed. If you are going to pay 100+ for wine, the gold standard for the "name brand stuff" is Silver Oak. Try and find an '11 or splurge and get the '07. Both are magnificent and worthy of a 10 year anniversary (JUST MAKE SURE TO LET IT BREATH FOR AT LEAST 30 MINS)

5. Take some time walking the streets of St. Helena (north of Napa). Go into the shops and just enjoy the vibe.

6. Visit and have lunch at Gott's Roadside stand on Hwy 29 (Used to be called Taylors Refresher. Fun place to begin and the food is great. Get there early as it gets packed for lunch).

7. Find your way up past St. Helena to Calistoga and venture around there as well. Hit up Ballentine Vineyards and enjoy. Its also a very cool place and the winemaker there is a humble and down to earth dude.

8. Pay for the tour of the Sattui Castle (north of St. Helena) and make sure to pony up a few extra bucks to see the dungeon. Stay away from the wine here as they serve and sell the rejects. Its not as good as the prime store I mentioned earlier. The castle used to stand in England and they brought it over and reassembled it block by block over a 10 year span. It is truly awesome to explore. Its an experience so allow for at least 4 hours.

9. The Mustard Seed or Rutherford Grill would be my choice to take your lady to dinner if you want a nice meal and great selection of wine. The food is fantastic (unless you can sneak into the "French Laundry"... Google it. It carries 2 Michelin Stars...)

10. Take your time and just wander around the whole valley. We NorCal folks are spoiled with Napa, but it is a truly magical place. Shoot me a message if you would like more options.

Have fun and happy anniversary!!!

#5 bro i likey

Thanks in advance....

tenor.gif

Since you are going to SFO. If you you take the longer way to Valley. And go over the gate just to do it. If you are a nature person. MUIR woods would be a cool stop on the way to Sonoma then the Valley. Just a thought.

Since you are going to SFO. If you you take the longer way to Valley. And go over the gate just to do it. If you are a nature person. MUIR woods would be a cool stop on the way to Sonoma then the Valley. Just a thought.

Spend a full day getting there.....Muir Woods.....Stinson Beach.....Drake’s Bay.....Pt Reyes National Seashore.

Spend a full day getting there.....Muir Woods.....Stinson Beach.....Drake’s Bay.....Pt Reyes National Seashore.

All true. I took my future in laws on a trip. All the cool things we saw and did. The one thing they talk about the ELK and that we saw a grey wolf in the wild. Albeit from 150 yards

But racked up the brownie points with some keen eye sight and good camera lens

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Spending the week of the fourth in Sonoma. Last year we spent most of our time in Napa. Will only spend 1 day there to visit our wine club tasting room and Stags Leap(doing 90 min tour). The other four days will be Sonoma County. We are big cab, zinfidel and Chardonnay fans...any recommendations in Sonoma? Also, we love food, any recommendations there? We will be staying in Glen Ellen. Thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT