ADVERTISEMENT

AKB: Ok, I have started to watch Deadwood and thus far I don't get the hype

Yeah, the swearing and other dialogue has always been major discussion point. My take is that the language used makes us appreciate the type of people and level of civility in Deadwood. It’s relative based upon today’s language, as opposed to period correct.

As for picking up, I thought it was pretty good from the beginning. Not many filler episodes.

I am two episodes in. First I question whether they used so much modern slang in the 1870s. But I can get past that... my question is does this get better? Does it pick up speed? I want to be pulled in, I really do.
I'd say to stick with it. Some of it has to do with character development, which takes some time.

Unless you don't like westerns or object to profanity, I can't see you not liking it.

I am two episodes in. First I question whether they used so much modern slang in the 1870s. But I can get past that... my question is does this get better? Does it pick up speed? I want to be pulled in, I really do.
I liked it from the first episode. Yeah, it gets even better.

There is a really interesting interview with David Milch about the vocabulary. His take was that a lot of people learned vocab and phrasing from classic literature in those days. However, Deadwood was such a lawless place filled with nasty people, that it was common to use vulgar slang to come across as tough. The result was this interesting blend of poetic/vulgar speech.

When you get to the episode where Swearengen is getting a bj from a hooker, and she is performing this act a bit to quick, Swearengen says to her, "Yo, slow down. Whatta ya got a stagecoach to catch!" You will be hooked!

That’s the main recurring drama that drives the show, even when they are on the same side of an issue, it’s still tense.

Very much a preview of Boyd and Raylan. Once they figure out they need to act in the best interests of the town (which was often to Al’s personal benefit), they made great if not uneasy allies. The movie that recently came out wasn’t spectacular, but those two together were gold.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
IIRC, there are no good guys in the series, thats what I thought was unique. The closest to being a "good guy" was Timothy Olyphant. I enjoyed the series and wished it to continue.

I am now in the middle of Season 2 and hoping to finish the rest of the seasons next week. My wife has been out of town babysitting a grandson, and she would be totally grossed out by the language, sex, violence, personal hygiene, etc. Better to finish watching than to listen to her bitching about the show?"

They actually started filming with the dialogue of the times, raunchy as it was for the time, and realized it wouldn't work in today's world. They had to reshoot a bunch of scenes.

They actually started filming with the dialogue of the times, raunchy as it was for the time, and realized it wouldn't work in today's world. They had to reshoot a bunch of scenes.

Yeah they had to beef up the language to give it the effect for modern viewers. A bunch of "dag gummits" wouldn't really cause the viewer to bat an eye.

Reactions: hlstone
I am now in the middle of Season 2 and hoping to finish the rest of the seasons next week. My wife has been out of town babysitting a grandson, and she would be totally grossed out by the language, sex, violence, personal hygiene, etc. Better to finish watching than to listen to her bitching about the show?"
I recall rewatching an episode while having a coupla pops. Counting F bombs while drinking and watching, got to 250 and stopped! But nothing beats Wu's "San Fransisco cocksucker!"

I really enjoyed it, watched it after the wife and son ( who was young at the time ) went to bed. I don’t mind the language because it is part of my repertoire however I did not want to have the kid hear it.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
OK... finished season one. I was sold after episode 5. The subtext in the writing is outstanding... you really need to pay attention. Glad I stayed the course.

Sadly, the final season doesn't settle anything. It just ends. I think there were plans for more seasons but I think the showrunner and HBO had some differences. Anyway, the movie they released this past year was fine, but the show really deserved another two to three seasons.

Deadwood ended so David Milch could start on John From Cincinatti. JFC was perhaps the worst HBO series ever. I don't think it lasted beyond two seasons.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I recall rewatching an episode while having a coupla pops. Counting F bombs while drinking and watching, got to 250 and stopped! But nothing beats Wu's "San Fransisco cocksucker!"
I like the scene where Al Swearingen was speaking to Cy Tolliver and Joanie Stubbs. At some point Al says Pardon my French, and Joanie says, I speak French.

You’ll love Wu’s total grasp of the English language and his conversations with Sweringen . Classic!

I am now into season three. One thing that I don't understand is the dollar amounts being thrown around. The dollar has appreciated at least 10 times since the 1870s. The price for gold claims, the hotel seem way out of line. Even the bribes seem to be in current amounts. Only the titty squeeze price seems realistic.
What am I missing.

Finished season two last night... man, you really need to pay attention to the dialog to understand the deep ceded plans and manipulations. Wu trying to communicate with Al is outstanding. I was a little uncomfortable with the abuse they give the poor "gimp" as I am sensitive to those suffering with cerebral palsy, but eventually the interactions with her and the others is also top end funny.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Finished season two last night... man, you really need to pay attention to the dialog to understand the deep ceded plans and manipulations. Wu trying to communicate with Al is outstanding. I was a little uncomfortable with the abuse they give the poor "gimp" as I am sensitive to those suffering with cerebral palsy, but eventually the interactions with her and the others is also top end funny.

You need to watch the movie now (EDIT: I see you haven't watched S3 yet - do that first); nearly everyone returns. As for 'the gimp', I think it was less 'abuse' and more that they treated her like everyone else was treated - which it seems she appreciated (name calling aside, though everyone was called names by Al). In fact, she seemed to be higher up on Al's hierarchy than almost everyone else. Anyway, great show that ended way too soon. What's funny is to watch more recent shows and see a bunch of Deadwood actors in it. Lots of these guys are career 'that guy!' character actors which is why Deadwood was so good (outside of Olyphant and McShane who bring some star power).

On 'Justified' alone, they had:

Timothy Olyphant (Bullock)
Jim Beaver (Ellsworth)
Garrett Dillahunt (Wolcott/
Sean Bridgers (Johnny Burns)
Brent Sexton (Harry Manning)
Channon Roe (Slippery Dan)
Stephen Tobolowsky (Hugo Jarry)
Pruitt Taylor Vince (Mose Manuel)
W. Earl Brown (Dan)
Ray McKinnon (Rev. H.W. Smith)
Titus Welliver (Silas Adams)
Gerald McRaney (George Hearst)

Sons of Anarchy has 17.

You need to watch the movie now (EDIT: I see you haven't watched S3 yet - do that first); nearly everyone returns. As for 'the gimp', I think it was less 'abuse' and more that they treated her like everyone else was treated - which it seems she appreciated (name calling aside, though everyone was called names by Al). In fact, she seemed to be higher up on Al's hierarchy than almost everyone else. Anyway, great show that ended way too soon. What's funny is to watch more recent shows and see a bunch of Deadwood actors in it. Lots of these guys are career 'that guy!' character actors which is why Deadwood was so good (outside of Olyphant and McShane who bring some star power).

On 'Justified' alone, they had:

Timothy Olyphant (Bullock)
Jim Beaver (Ellsworth)
Garrett Dillahunt (Wolcott/
Sean Bridgers (Johnny Burns)
Brent Sexton (Harry Manning)
Channon Roe (Slippery Dan)
Stephen Tobolowsky (Hugo Jarry)
Pruitt Taylor Vince (Mose Manuel)
W. Earl Brown (Dan)
Ray McKinnon (Rev. H.W. Smith)
Titus Welliver (Silas Adams)
Gerald McRaney (George Hearst)

Sons of Anarchy has 17.
Every episode I recognize someone else from a later show like Justified, SOA, etc...

Plus it took me a while but the doctor was in Lord of the Rings. Also, one of the whores (Tess) is actually Powers Boothe daughter... which makes it a little creepy when he talks to her is a shocking manner :)

Every episode I recognize someone else from a later show like Justified, SOA, etc...

Plus it took me a while but the doctor was in Lord of the Rings. Also, one of the whores (Tess) is actually Powers Boothe daughter... which makes it a little creepy when he talks to her is a shocking manner :)

Doc is probably best known as Billy Bibbit...

5332e0_2e9df9cfd76805a0ce8724d9a23dadd6.gif

Reactions: Parkland Fan

My favorite role for Dan Dority (W. Earl Brown)
theres-something-about-mary-1998-w-earl-brown-ben-stiller-pm5648.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT