ADVERTISEMENT

AKB: Golf recommendations in Lehigh Valley

psuro

Aug 24, 2001
The corner table at the Skellar
Looking to connect with some friends who are in the Central/NE Pa area for golf. We all agree Lehigh Valley is a do-able drive.

Looking for recommendations of a good public course. We are open to links or parkland courses. We all shoot in mid 80s/low 90's (depending on the day). Cost not so much an issue but would like to keep it under $100 for the round. Couple of guys have kids in college they need to pay for. ;)

TIA.

Looking to connect with some friends who are in the Central/NE Pa area for golf. We all agree Lehigh Valley is a do-able drive.

Looking for recommendations of a good public course. We are open to links or parkland courses. We all shoot in mid 80s/low 90's (depending on the day). Cost not so much an issue but would like to keep it under $100 for the round. Couple of guys have kids in college they need to pay for. ;)

TIA.
Allentown Municipal is in good shape and under $50.
Wedgewood is decent, especially if you play the Pine and Maple nines.
Old Homestead is a little north and has some nice variety.
Golden Oaks and Berkleigh are west, near Kutztown. Both are former country clubs and very good golf.
Iron Lakes has some interesting holes. I haven't played it this year yet, but it was not in great shape last year.
Morgan Hill near Easton is nice but extremely hilly.
Southmore is nice but also hilly - not as bad as Morgan.
I haven't played Bethlehem Municipal lately and can't comment.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: kevin310 and psuro
Allentown Municipal is in good shape and under $50.
Wedgewood is decent, especially if you play the Pine and Maple nines.
Old Homestead is a little north and has some nice variety.
Golden Oaks and Berkleigh are west, near Kutztown. Both are former country clubs and very good golf.
Iron Lakes has some interesting holes. I haven't played it this year yet, but it was not in great shape last year.
Morgan Hill near Easton is nice but extremely hilly.
Southmore is nice but also hilly - not as bad as Morgan.
I haven't played Bethlehem Municipal lately and can't comment.
Hope this helps.
I should have added that all of these are under $75.

Grew up in the LV playing golf and interned at the Philadelphia Section PGA during college, but it's been 20 years. Agree with most of what Parkland Fan says. Bethlehem Muni used to be in better shape than Allentown Muni, but no idea now. Wedgewood was my High School's home course. Decent track. Not super challenging, but a good option.
Depending on geographic limits, check out Olde Homestead a bit north and west of the LV - https://www.oldehomesteadgolfclub.com/

Sand Springs same area as Blue Ridge Trail and Mt Laurel in White Haven. If you want a challenge, Jack Frost National at Jack Frost/Big Boulder ski area. All course are reasonably priced. Fox Hollow in Quakertown a nice course also

Reactions: GoGoBanana
Sand Springs same area as Blue Ridge Trail and Mt Laurel in White Haven. If you want a challenge, Jack Frost National at Jack Frost/Big Boulder ski area. All course are reasonably priced. Fox Hollow in Quakertown a nice course also
Sand Springs is a dogpatch right now...Blue Ridge is as nice a public layout you will find. Don't play there on a Fri-Sun unless you are ok with a 5 hr. round.

Reactions: GoGoBanana
Just talked to a fellow golfer at my club. Scratch player. He just played Bethlehem Golf Club. It just was redone a year or so ago. He said it was really good, greens excellent. It does tend to be crowded so make plans early.

If you want a 45 minute drive to Fleetwood, Golden Oaks is a very good course. Usually in top shape.

Berkleigh is slipping. A short but narrow course in Easton is Green Pond CC. Greens generally in good shape. I always have fun at GP but I have won a Lehigh Valley Championship there (an older gentleman's division😂). So good memories.

Sand Springs is not very challenging either

TIA.
Lots of good choices….Golden Oaks is really nice; just played it 2 weeks ago and it was in very nice shape. I live on Morgan Hill and while it’s a nice layout (except for one or two odd holes) it’s been a little hit or miss condition-wise. Olde Homestead is also nice, as is Southmoore up in Moore Township.

Ro, I know you said about price (and totally get it) but just over the Delaware River in NJ is Architects in Phillipsburg. Others may disagree but I think it’s top 3 in the Lehigh Valley / Western NJ area. It is over $100 on weekends, but I think you may be able to play for less then that during the week. Have fun!

Reactions: kevin310
Lots of good choices….Golden Oaks is really nice; just played it 2 weeks ago and it was in very nice shape. I live on Morgan Hill and while it’s a nice layout (except for one or two odd holes) it’s been a little hit or miss condition-wise. Olde Homestead is also nice, as is Southmoore up in Moore Township.

Ro, I know you said about price (and totally get it) but just over the Delaware River in NJ is Architects in Phillipsburg. Others may disagree but I think it’s top 3 in the Lehigh Valley / Western NJ area. It is over $100 on weekends, but I think you may be able to play for less then that during the week. Have fun!
I have played architect before and enjoyed it. Might be too rich for a couple of guys but it would be nice to play it again.

I always liked Southmore. I always thought it was a difficult course but always played well there for some reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT