ADVERTISEMENT

AKB dealing with Delta airline and potential cancellation of flight to Atlanta and then Cincinnati.

dailybuck777

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2018
As most people here undoubtedly know there has been a huge number of Delta cancellations due to Covid. My 5 pm Dec 31 flight from Honolulu to Atlanta w moved to 2:30 a.m. on Jan. 1.( I had long layover, so the delay so far hasn't caused missed connection). Don't know if anyone has any inside tips as to how to best deal with this, but if they do I would appreciate it. No issue with motel costs because I am staying with brother and he has no problem with me staying for a good period of time.

Got my rental car extended for one day at this point in time.

Best of luck. My only advice…if you meet a man named Del Griffith during this trip RUN!!

4-E6-FBEEF-9-AFE-4-EDE-84-A6-ABF7-F1-A303-CA.gif

I quit flying DL as a Gold Medallion due to poor customer service, primarily during irrops.

DL does have the best ops department by far, however.

Best advice I can offer is not to be afraid to ask to be interlined (moved to another airline) if your flight cancels - but they can’t do it until 24 hours before your original departure. Also don’t be afraid to demand any compensation you might be entitled to - they wouldn’t hesitate to demand fees from you.

I quit flying DL as a Gold Medallion due to poor customer service, primarily during irrops.

Best advice I can offer is not to be afraid to ask to be interlined (moved to another airline) if your flight cancels - but they can’t do it until 24 hours before your original departure. Also don’t be afraid to demand any compensation you might be entitled to - they wouldn’t hesitate to demand fees from you.
Is there a label they give to the compensation? How much should it be?. Roughly the same as the cost of the flight, half the cost of the flight. Double. In any event, if you have a rough idea of what should be asked for that would be very useful for me.

Buck: With all of the flight cancellations that are going on right now, rescheduling flights is a mess, and much of it is done automatically by computers. This may work for the airlines, but it can result in a multitude of problems for passengers. I have a son who is flying from SFO to Buenos Aires today, with a stopover in Dallas. The original 2.5 hour layover in Dallas was (computer) extended to 11 hours. He ended up calling and requesting a later flight from SFO to Dallas, with the result that he had a layover of "only" 4 hours. (Much better than 11 hours.)

The morale of his story is to call and request a rescheduling. Cincinnatti is not a major hub like Dallas, so there may not be enough flights from ATL to Cincinnatti to shorten your layover, but a 2:30 AM departure is heinous. I would at least ask for a more convenient flight. Even if it is on another airline.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Buck: With all of the flight cancellations that are going on right now, rescheduling flights is a mess, and much of it is done automatically by computers. This may work for the airlines, but it can result in a multitude of problems for passengers. I have a son who is flying from SFO to Buenos Aires today, with a stopover in Dallas. The original 2.5 hour layover in Dallas was (computer) extended to 11 hours. He ended up calling and requesting a later flight from SFO to Dallas, with the result that he had a layover of "only" 4 hours. (Much better than 11 hours.)

The morale of his story is to call and request a rescheduling. Cincinnatti is not a major hub like Dallas, so there may not be enough flights from ATL to Cincinnatti to shorten your layover, but a 2:30 AM departure is heinous. I would at least ask for a more convenient flight. Even if it is on another airline.
Thanks for the advice and insight. I had a long layover in Atlanta so the rescheduling hasn't hurt me too much. The one issue I have is that Delta doesn't answer the phone for much of the day and it takes forever. I just spent 45 minutes on hold with dollar rent a car to extend my rental contract one day.

Reactions: LafayetteBear
My Delta app gave me the option of rebooking at 9:20 p.m. at no charge. I went ahead and did it. If something goes wrong with the 920 flight I still have the 230a.m. flight to potentially call back on.

Ha! Don't you worry about whether your airline is functioning or not.

You just make sure you wear your mask. They're really worried about that.

Getting you to your destination? Secondary.

Reactions: PSUTENN1

The customer care and service on all US based airlines is horrible, except SW and then only maybe. If you ever want to experience true customer service and appreciation for you hard earned dollers, fly Business Class on Cathy Pacific.

Is there a label they give to the compensation? How much should it be?. Roughly the same as the cost of the flight, half the cost of the flight. Double. In any event, if you have a rough idea of what should be asked for that would be very useful for me.
If it’s just a domestic flight there’s minimal compensation required unless they cancel the flight entirely, then it is mostly limited to what you paid. You can always ask for food and hotel vouchers - if you have any status they will likely be more generous but these are not required. US law really lets airlines off the hook.

If it is a flight to/from/within Europe then EU261/2004 applies which gives up to €600 in compensation for nearly all non-weather related delays.

Where you can press in the US is in regards to the Contract of Carriage. You have a Contract with the airline for transportation between two points on a given day - firmly but POLITELY asserting this along with a suggestion of an alternative way they can transport you can get things moving if you’re at an impasse. It is especially helpful if you know what alternative(s) you want - use Kayak or similar app to search for available flights. I always used ExpertFlyer but it is not intended in any way for a casual traveler as it provides more or less direct information from the reservation systems.

Since you’re on DL, if you don’t feel like you’re getting anywhere with regular staff you can always ask for a Red Coat, they are customer service supervisors who are generally better at solving problems if you go to them with a reasonable ask.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Got home with no problems. Switched a flight 5 hours later and then had a flight from Salt Lake City to Cincinnati no problems.

On the other hand Dollar rent a car charged me for 2 extra days when it should have only been one. Also, made the mistake of letting them fill the tank and got overcharged for that.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Reactions: bison13
Um, except many of the contracts state that COVID reasons aren't covered. I ran into that in 2020 on a (cancelled) trip to Portland.

Crap, really? So if your flight is cancelled because of personnel shortages and you can't find an alternate flight, travel insurance won't cover anything? Then I wonder, what is it good for?

Crap, really? So if your flight is cancelled because of personnel shortages and you can't find an alternate flight, travel insurance won't cover anything? Then I wonder, what is it good for?
I would say to read the fine print carefully. Insurance policies usually have some disclaimers regarding "acts of god" and things beyond their control (war is one, as I recall).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT