ADVERTISEMENT

AKB - Any recommendations for 3 or 4 day drive/vacations to towns within 5 hour drive of Hbg

Harrisburg Dave

Dec 29, 2016
Wife and I plan to do a little get away. Been to all the major cities. In the Covid era we would like some recommendations. Multiple stops ok.

On the way to either of those go to Benezette to see the elk herd and the Elk Exposition building. Plus, go to Cherry Springs State Park which the darkest skies has east of the Mississippi. They have telescopes there to look through. Any of the Finger Lakes is great.

Really depends on what you like to do. Lots of cycling, canoeing/kayaking, fishing,

Last edited:
We did a 5 day trip through the finger lakes. Spent a couple days at Fair Haven State Park on Lake Ontario and then dropped down Watkins Glen for a few more days. Nice little getaway.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
If you want just a relaxing few days with at a lake with boating, jet skis, swimming, kayaking etc Lake Wallenpaupack is around 3 hours away (depending on 81 traffic). Just east of Scranton.

Drive down Skyline drive starting in Front Royal and end up at Natural Bridge State Park. Great views, nice winery visits along the way. Natural Bridge is an interesting place with a short walking trail under the bridge back to a Native American village that is being restored. There is also a big cave near there to take a tour of. Skyline drive is a a very windy road with overlooks along the way. At some point there is a hotel/restaurant place to stop at and wander around. It was different and something to do if you haven't before.

Wife and I plan to do a little get away. Been to all the major cities. In the Covid era we would like some recommendations. Multiple stops ok.
We call these "stay-cations". Put-in-bay is pretty cool. You've got Cedar Point, lots of lake activity (boating, swimming, water skiing, kiting, fishing). Put-in-Bay is a small island a half-hour ferry boat ride from the Cedar Point area (trying to avoid saying Sandusky). You can take your car by ferry but everyone just takes/rents a bike or golf cart. There are some great places to eat. I wouldn't spend more than a day or two but it is very neet with a real vacation feel. Of course, you can also do stuff in CLE (R&R HoF, Pro Football HoF down in canton, good museums, good zoo, etc.). If you decide to go, I'll give you some names of charter boat captains....the walleye and perch have been record breaking this year.

If you like lobster bisque, some of the best is in Put in Bay. Its got a real Martha's Vineyard feel
arial-view-of-put-in-bay.gif

Reactions: mdking001
Thank you all for your recommendations.

Two things that might impact your recommendations -

1. My health is such that activities like biking, hiking, swimming are out for us. Window shopping, eating, tours are ok.

2. We likely won’t be traveling until 10/1

Reactions: Carl Spackler
Thank you all for your recommendations.

Two things that might impact your recommendations -

1. My health is such that activities like biking, hiking, swimming are out for us. Window shopping, eating, tours are ok.

2. We likely won’t be traveling until 10/1
Ok, go to Ithaca, NY. Home of Cornell U. College town on a Finger Lake. Good eats, cool shops, beautiful area. Oct should start with fall colors. Maybe take a ride on the lake if you can charter a boat.

We call these "stay-cations". Put-in-bay is pretty cool. You've got Cedar Point, lots of lake activity (boating, swimming, water skiing, kiting, fishing). Put-in-Bay is a small island a half-hour ferry boat ride from the Cedar Point area (trying to avoid saying Sandusky). You can take your car by ferry but everyone just takes/rents a bike or golf cart. There are some great places to eat. I wouldn't spend more than a day or two but it is very neet with a real vacation feel. Of course, you can also do stuff in CLE (R&R HoF, Pro Football HoF down in canton, good museums, good zoo, etc.). If you decide to go, I'll give you some names of charter boat captains....the walleye and perch have been record breaking this year.

If you like lobster bisque, some of the best is in Put in Bay. Its got a real Martha's Vineyard feel

And then after all of that somewhat boring stuff you can do a short drive to Sharon, PA. Google it, plenty of things to do there.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I guess that would qualify as a mercy killing. Thanks.

Play nice. Actually, we are heading up to Pittsburgh and Cleveland next week. We have been to most of what Obi posted except Put-in Bay. We were going to go there but we heard they recently had a spike and most of our group opted out of going there. Oh and by the way we will make a stop in Sharon to eat at the original Lube (and some Luigi's pizza in Hermitage). In Pittsburgh we will go to Kennywood and plan on visiting Falling Water Frank Lloyd Wright's house. We have relatives in Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

Reactions: Harrisburg Dave
If you are not heading out until 10/1
  • All beach towns in Md Del and NJ will be quiet. If you go to Cape May you can take the ferry to Del.
    • Annapolis might be an option from there
    • Chincoteague also an option from there
  • Heading west- The Greenbrier should be beautiful at that time of year.
    • Agree with visiting Fallingwater.
  • Homestead Resorts In Va is nice.

Last edited:

PIB is great only if a 20 something!!
My bachelor party, long time ago, was there and had an amazing long weekend. What happens in PIB, stays in PIB!

August of 18 went there with two friends that were part of bachelor party. Cannot tell you how old we felt.........

Went to the finger lakes last year in Nov for the first time and was really good time, but no idea if wineries are accessible for tastings, Stayed at Mirbeau Spa, would go back.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Drive down Skyline drive starting in Front Royal and end up at Natural Bridge State Park. Great views, nice winery visits along the way. Natural Bridge is an interesting place with a short walking trail under the bridge back to a Native American village that is being restored. There is also a big cave near there to take a tour of. Skyline drive is a a very windy road with overlooks along the way. At some point there is a hotel/restaurant place to stop at and wander around. It was different and something to do if you haven't before.
If he goes that route, Luray Caverns is worth a visit.

Home of the White Trash Bash!!

Drive north to the Port and get cheese steaks and hoagies - and tour the LL museum and see the homes on Millionaire's Row. Go to the Wellsboro area - damn beautiful up there. Corning, NY has lots to see. Rochester as well (just be on your toes these days). The NY lakes are great - rent a boat and be a captain.

If you want just a relaxing few days with at a lake with boating, jet skis, swimming, kayaking etc Lake Wallenpaupack is around 3 hours away (depending on 81 traffic). Just east of Scranton.
I drive 3 hours each way to get away from the Pack. Lol

Reactions: psu00
Play nice. Actually, we are heading up to Pittsburgh and Cleveland next week. We have been to most of what Obi posted except Put-in Bay. We were going to go there but we heard they recently had a spike and most of our group opted out of going there. Oh and by the way we will make a stop in Sharon to eat at the original Lube (and some Luigi's pizza in Hermitage). In Pittsburgh we will go to Kennywood and plan on visiting Falling Water Frank Lloyd Wright's house. We have relatives in Pittsburgh and Cleveland.
Falling Water is impressive but you are through it in a couple hours. Kentuck Knob is another FLW home nearby open for tours but haven’t been there. You could stay at Nemacolin, a high end resort in that area. They have, or at least had, a Hummer excursion driving over obstacles. They have golf and trap shooting.

Fort Necessity, near where Gen Braddock was killed and young George Washington fought, is nearby. Maybe Tom McAndrews can give you a tour. There is an overlook that has one of those Extreme Treehouses that was featured on HGTV couple years back.

Reactions: BBrown and Fac
On the way to either of those go to Benezette to see the elk herd and the Elk Exposition building. Plus, go to Cherry Springs State Park which the darkest skies has east of the Mississippi. They have telescopes there to look through. Any of the Finger Lakes is great.

Really depends on what you like to do. Lots of cycling, canoeing/kayaking, fishing,

You didn't note Wellsboro, Pine Creek Grand Canyon and the drive from Wellsboro to Blackwell, Cedar Run, Slate Run, Cammal, Jersey Mills, Waterville and a short walk on one of the top 10 Rail Trails in the World.

How about Montauk , N Y. Wonderful beach. Wonderful atmosphere. Close to Hamptons. Can take ferry from North Point to New London Connecticut. High end resorts like Gurneys Inn and Montauk Yacht Club (if they still exist). Read “the Montauk Project” before you go (just joking...but read it anyway)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT