ADVERTISEMENT

AC down, one fan only...

Psugo823

Aug 17, 2021
Looking for a remedy because no dollars left for an ac unit and repair man isn't calling back.

Looking for a remedy because no dollars left for an ac unit and repair man isn't calling back.
May want to look for somewhere else to go this week, supposed to be 90s in most of PA. Next week back to low 80s which is tolerable without AC.

If you can't afford a hotel, spend most of your day somewhere else that has AC. Movie theater, diner, library, mall, etc.

For sleeping, sleep on lowest level of house (basement if possible). Cold drinks, cold/wet towels. Won't be pleasant but will get you through until AC guy can help (I'm assuming you've tried multiple AC guys?)

Just before it went out, the unit spit out black dust everywhere...any ideas what causes this?
Wait, this is window unit or central air?

If the former, check this out:

Did you smell burning? If not, taking it apart and cleaning it (while unplugged obviously) might get it going again (i.e. if there's enough dirt on the coils it might crap out).

Think cool thoughts and drink plenty of ice water.

Last edited:
Think cool thoughts.
I know it's funny to some but it is supposed to be in the 90s several days in a row starting tomorrow in PA going up to 95. Don't know the OPs age or health issues but people do die in that type of heat with no AC. I'm sure he appreciates the helpful comments.

Reactions: RickinDayton
I once survived several days sleeping on the floor with a fan and a big bucket of water and towels.
Kept myself soaked til I fell asleep.
Messy, but worked fine.

My AC died last summer. 21 years old. Recharge lasted 3 days. I bought some cheap window units at HD until my new unit was installed by UGI HVAC. I had a service contract with them. Done in a week. Sold the window units on FB. HD would've taken them back and given me a refund, but I don't think that's fair.

Find a side job somewhere air conditioned and work there until you save enough to get your unit fixed or replaced. You'll be somewhat comfortable until you have the $ to fix your a/c, and then set for the next 20 years.

Go get a couple window fans or small box fans to sit on window sill. Makes sleeping much more tolerable. I got central air and still use a fan. Our room heats up too much otherwise.

During the day if you need out of the heat, go to a pool. Spend some time in a mall. Plenty of places to go for nothing or cheap.

People survive all the time without AC in PA.

We just replaced our AC last month. 22 years
Apparently feds implemented a rule that you can only add coolant one more time if they find a leak

Anyhow we got some portable AC units at Ollie’s and they are very nice

Caverns are a nice place to visit in the heat. If you have a camper, go to a campground

Reactions: Psugo823
Facebook Marketplace has a bunch of window units for under $100. Offer 50% of asking and you'll get as many as you need. There are a couple for free that state "working".

images

Update: Ancient unit needed s22 freon charge, which I found through the repair mans pop. Needed to attach a garden hose adapter to sink to clean the screen. The kind elderly gentleman told me after we did this together, that it MIGHT hold me through August or at least mid August...however if system dies, landlord MUST install a new system.

Is it just me or are 80 percent of landlords, a$$holes?

Facebook Marketplace has a bunch of window units for under $100. Offer 50% of asking and you'll get as many as you need. There are a couple for free that state "working".
Problem for me Is I have horizontal windows, not up/down windows.

Update: Ancient unit needed s22 freon charge, which I found through the repair mans pop. Needed to attach a garden hose adapter to sink to clean the screen. The kind elderly gentleman told me after we did this together, that it MIGHT hold me through August or at least mid August...however if system dies, landlord MUST install a new system.

Remember - just like your car it's a closed loop system so if you lose coolant there is a leak in the system - I nursed mine for 2 years before it finally quite all together - they have leak sealant but it's a short term solution unless they can find the leak and it's fixable.

Reactions: Westcoast24

I'm a landlord and I take care of issues as they arise. I even buy my tenants gifts at Christmas every year. It sucks that you're dealing with this but let's not blanket disparage a whole bunch of people. What did you tell your landlord and what was their response?

Question for the all knowing board - what legal remedies does a residential consumer have against a plumbing/HVAC company to get them to honor the warranty obligations of a purchase agreement. The parties to the water heater purchase agreement are Me and the plumbing/HVAC company. For example, one year ago I purchased a new Water Heater with a 6 year manufacturers warranty. The Water Heater died one year later (last week) and it is no longer working. Due to either laziness or simply not wanting to get involved, the plumbing/HVAC company is not willing to remove the dead water heater and install a new water heater from the manufacturer. I am happy to pay the labor to install the new water heater but I don't want to pay $2,000-3,000 for a new water heater, which should be covered under the warranty obligations of our purchase agreement.

Question for the all knowing board - what legal remedies does a residential consumer have against a plumbing/HVAC company to get them to honor the warranty obligations of a purchase agreement. The parties to the water heater purchase agreement are Me and the plumbing/HVAC company. For example, one year ago I purchased a new Water Heater with a 6 year manufacturers warranty. The Water Heater died one year later (last week) and it is no longer working. Due to either laziness or simply not wanting to get involved, the plumbing/HVAC company is not willing to remove the dead water heater and install a new water heater from the manufacturer. I am happy to pay the labor to install the new water heater but I don't want to pay $2,000-3,000 for a new water heater, which should be covered under the warranty obligations of our purchase agreement.
A letter from an attorney does wonders…..

Reactions: RickinDayton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT