ADVERTISEMENT

Abdul Carter

voltz99

Sep 25, 2015
When he was recruited weren't we told he was going to be a DE?

Maybe some of the bigger LBs that were moved to DE should have been given a shot at LB. The experiment of moving safeties to LB has mostly failed.

I believe Carter was a LB all the way.

Ta'Mere Robinson the 2023 commit seems the same way. Some recruiting service peg him to end up as an "edge" player, i.e. DE. But I believe the limited comments that have been made by the staff indicate that Robinson and Rojas were the staff's top two targes at LB. Could we as fans be so fortunate to find another LB or two in the 2023 class that can come in and perform like Carter and really turn PSU back to the glory days of LBU ?!?!

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeLion and royboy
I believe Carter was a LB all the way.

Ta'Mere Robinson the 2023 commit seems the same way. Some recruiting service peg him to end up as an "edge" player, i.e. DE. But I believe the limited comments that have been made by the staff is that Robinson and Rojas were the staff's top two targes at LB. Could we as fans be so fortunate to find another LB or two in the 2023 class that can come in and perform like Carter and really turn PSU back to the glory days of LBU ?!?!
We'll be very fortunate if Jacobs returns and one of the two new LB commits are ready to play early.

Maybe some of the bigger LBs that were moved to DE should have been given a shot at LB. The experiment of moving safeties to LB has mostly failed.
Moving HS safeties to LB isn’t an experiment. It’s been going on for decades b/c most high school LBers are too slow and stiff for college.

Tom Bradley used to talk about this with Poz, Sean Lee, Mike Hull, etc etc. Paterno/Bradley took tall HS safeties with big frames as their ‘type’.

Reactions: 19333lion
It is beginning to look to me that Abdul Carter will be the best player to ever wear number 11 at Penn State.
Looks to be a nice player after 1/2 season, please give him some time, prior #11's are hall of famers, Parsons will be.

Moving HS safeties to LB isn’t an experiment. It’s been going on for decades b/c most high school LBers are too slow and stiff for college.

Tom Bradley used to talk about this with Poz, Sean Lee, Mike Hull, etc etc. Paterno/Bradley took tall HS safeties with big frames as their ‘type’.
Farmer, Jarvis Miller and Sutherland are more recent and better examples. Some of our walk on LBs who were too slow like Brandon Smith or Jan Johnson
played better than the converted safeties.

We'll be very fortunate if Jacobs returns and one of the two new LB commits are ready to play early.
Unless Rojas or Robinson get injured I look for both to contribute in 2023, even more so if they enroll early.

But either way if Jacobs returns the LB group will be very solid with Jacobs, Carter and King, and Buddin, Elsdon, Wylie and Mills (reportedly practicing at LB while he redshirts) also getting stronger and better and competing for snaps. If those 4 backups are looking good it will allow Rojas and Robinson to redshirt unless they are just too good to keep off the field. A nice problem to have.....

Reactions: jimarnp
Farmer, Jarvis Miller and Sutherland are more recent and better examples. Some of our walk on LBs who were too slow like Brandon Smith or Jan Johnson
played better than the converted safeties.
Curtis Jacobs played Safety and WR in high school. Franklin’s talked about how a big discussion with Curtis and his Dad in recruitment was convincing them he should be a college LB. They were adamant he should play WR.

It’s about the individual. High school position is meaningless. And it has been for 30 years.

No, we weren't told that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT