ADVERTISEMENT

A world without sports

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Always thought that people were too obsessed with sports to their own detriment. And it used to divide families as men were obsessed and women hated sports. But in the last couple decades women have gotten much more into sports where now it is a common interest that brings people together. Always wondered what would happen if sports were to disappear. Well, we are about to find out. So what will change in our society?

First of all, expect a baby boom nine months from now!:) Lots of time to kill, what better way?

Sadly a bump in domestic violence is possible as people drive each other nuts.

I look for outdoor activities to get a big boost. Fishing, cycling, camping, hiking, canoeing. kayaking, tennis. National Parks and state parks will be busy. Will help people get in better shape. Increase family together time.

Lots of online gaming and movies. More cooking at home.

What say you?

Last edited:
I’ve got DVD’s of our 1991 win over UCLA in the first round and 2001 win over NC in the second round. Think I’ll need to watch both of them in the next week.

Also hoping CBS and the Turner Networks could fill some of these TV slots with classic NCAA games. Love to watch Bucknell-Kansas, Vermont-Syracuse, UMBC-Virginia, The Bryce Drew game, etc.

First of all, expect a baby boom nine months from now!:) Lots of time to kill, what better way?
I've never understood this (it happens after snow storms and sports celebrations too).

Are there that many couples who are just like "Eh, not using birth control. If we have a kid: cool. If not, also cool." That seems like a really bad decision making process to me.

Or are people just THAT bad at birth control? I also don't understand this. It isn't rocket science. I am undefeated in that regard.

Reactions: bison13
I’m waiting for ESPN to bust out vintage Sumo & Aussie Rules from the vault.

This seems like an opening for e-sports on TV. They'd have no competition, among current sports at least.

What ESPN ought to do is put on games so old or obscure that most people won't know who won them and urge their viewer to not look up who won but just watch the game as if it were new and let suspense build by not knowing the outcome just like in a new game.

I've never understood this (it happens after snow storms and sports celebrations too).

Are there that many couples who are just like "Eh, not using birth control. If we have a kid: cool. If not, also cool." That seems like a really bad decision making process to me.

Or are people just THAT bad at birth control? I also don't understand this. It isn't rocket science. I am undefeated in that regard.

Do you know what Oct. 5th is?

I don't disagree with you. I don't get it either.

they could put older NFL games on and since they'd have to edit out any big hits it would come in a neat two hour package per game

I’ve got DVD’s of our 1991 win over UCLA in the first round and 2001 win over NC in the second round. Think I’ll need to watch both of them in the next week.

Also hoping CBS and the Turner Networks could fill some of these TV slots with classic NCAA games. Love to watch Bucknell-Kansas, Vermont-Syracuse, UMBC-Virginia, The Bryce Drew game, etc.
Maybe even psu e Michigan in the round of 32

I received APBA baseball from my brother, who received it from a classmate at Penn State, in 1961. Played it for years with friends who also loved MLB.

I think for baseball, APBA is outstanding. I didn't like the football game as much.
had an apba kit in the late 50's/early 60's. my brothers and i would set up a 100 game schedule and played on our grandparents porch overlooking the susquehanna everyday. we kept score, had standings and kept stats. the game was centered in lancaster, iirc. one year they sent us tickets to a phillies game. we ended up in a box beside the phils dugout. phils were playing the giants. next to us in a box was the most stunning spanish women we'd ever seen. think we watched her more than the game. someone around us said it was orlando cepeda's wife. turned out, it was his girlfriend:eek:.

SUCKS

Though I may have even more time to read Rev War history books, so there is a silver lining. ;)
Famous political news commentator Tim Russert used to say sports is life. Everything that goes on in politics doesn't mean nearly as much as sports. He was also a devout Buffalo Bills fan.

had an apba kit in the late 50's/early 60's. my brothers and i would set up a 100 game schedule and played on our grandparents porch overlooking the susquehanna everyday. we kept score, had standings and kept stats. the game was centered in lancaster, iirc. one year they sent us tickets to a phillies game. we ended up in a box beside the phils dugout. phils were playing the giants. next to us in a box was the most stunning spanish women we'd ever seen. think we watched her more than the game. someone around us said it was orlando cepeda's wife. turned out, it was his girlfriend:eek:.
My father played minor league baseball with Cepeda in the Giants system. We went to a Yankee game with my aunt and cousins (Reggie Jackson’s 400th home run) and he saw my father before the game while walking into the stadium. I believe he was coaching with the Whitesox at that time. He invited my father in, so my father left with him. My father didn’t show back up to our seats until the 7th inning and he was really drunk. I guess he had somehow made his way up to the press box and was hanging out with Bill White, who had played with my uncle. Pretty fun day all around for all of us.

My father played minor league baseball with Cepeda in the Giants system. We went to a Yankee game with my aunt and cousins (Reggie Jackson’s 400th home run) and he saw my father before the game while walking into the stadium. I believe he was coaching with the Whitesox at that time. He invited my father in, so my father left with him. My father didn’t show back up to our seats until the 7th inning and he was really drunk. I guess he had somehow made his way up to the press box and was hanging out with Bill White, who had played with my uncle. Pretty fun day all around for all of us.
yeah, apparently, orlando got around;).

Two passions in most guys’ lives. Sports and sex. No sports means guys have more time to think about their other passion. Thinking about it leads them to acting on their thoughts.

Paul Hornung once said,"I've gone thru life on scholarship."
Likely none of us have enjoyed the fame and fortune of old #5. However, in my own way, this applies to me. I was a slightly above average high school football player. I made the cut (likely near the bottom) after each spring ball in college. I had no problem finding a teaching job, because of my experience and desire to coach football. My tenure as a football coach led to being offered the athletics director position at my job. Every full and part time job I've ever held, was tied to my back round in football. Even in my retirement (semi) I was offered an opportunity to oversee a 17 team public school athletic league. It all started with an 11 year old kid who fell in love with football watching Coal Township play Old Forge for the old Eastern Conference in 1961.
Sports can provide a youngster with an identity and many opportunities. Hornung drove a Lexus and I drove a Chevy.
I think sports are important!

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Two passions in most guys’ lives. Sports and sex. No sports means guys have more time to think about their other passion. Thinking about it leads them to acting on their thoughts.
I totally get that. But use birth control. It is not rocket science.

Well, its been three months since sports shut down. A few feeble events like golf, NASCAR, horse racing, have been held but without fans. So how has that played out?

People certainly miss sports. Some boring nights with nothing to watch. I imagine there has been some bad results as people got on each other's nerves. But a lot of good has come about.

Seems that people are getting off the couch and actually doing things instead of just watching things. Sales of bicycles, canoes, kayaks, camping gear, RVs, and more are through the roof. Some are more than double or even triple of last year's sales. State and national parks are crowded. Families are spending much more time together.

Great for families, great for health, both physical and mental. People are kicking their addiction to sports.

I know this has hurt many people and businesses. A lot of businesses and jobs depend on sports. But all the new active lifestyles create other jobs. And better health reduces the demand and costs of healthcare.

Really want sports back but I sincerely hope that people watch less and participate more.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
We would all probably be better off without professional and big time college sports- and the internet.

More work! Just got a P.O. for a six figure job today. Happy and renewed would be my attitude right now. Certainly not missing sports. They've always been a distraction - a good one at times - but a distraction nonetheless.

Less healthy people, higher divorce rate, higher crime rate, higher drug and alcohol abuse rate, and higher suicide rate. Wonderful world to live in.

watching sports on tv helps with those things?
The OP didn’t just say watching sports on tv, he said life without sports. People still do play sports. But watching it also gives people a diversion, if you don’t have that diversion you have to spend more time with your spouse, which in many cases is not a good thing and will cause marital problems....marital problems often lead to increased drinking and/or drug use, which increases depression and leads to suicide. Anytime you take someone’s interest away, bad things can happen and if it happens on a large scale, bad things will happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT