ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting A look at Penn State scholarship quarterbacks during the Rivals era

Where's Trace?
Rivals only rated him as an athlete I believe.

Looking at those ranking vs. on the field impact, DC is head and shoulders above everyone, followed by Clifford, Hackenberg, Morelli and McSorley. Of course Moxie falls in there as well though he was unranked.

Allar is only the 8th highest rated and we're expecting him to be the best ever.
Technically, he is tied for third with 5.9 rating along with several other players. Personally, if he can match Hack's play at the end of his freshmen year, I'll be happy. That of course is a pretty high standard given that he was the best pro-style QB in the country at that point.

I know you have to use them but I would never use Rivals ratings to evaluate PSU recruits or players. There are much better ratings out there and I learned a long time ago to not even care about where Rivals rates our recruits. Maybe Rivals can look at what it's been doing for evaluations to make them somewhat reliable? But as of right now, there are 2 other sites that do a much better job with rating recruits. I love a lot of what Rivals does in other areas and prefer this site for most everything else, but their recruiting rankings are very poor.

Reactions: bison13
Technically, he is tied for third with 5.9 rating along with several other players. Personally, if he can match Hack's play at the end of his freshmen year, I'll be happy. That of course is a pretty high standard given that he was the best pro-style QB in the country at that point.
I hope he is better than that. Hack was overrated.

The fact that you keep posting this shows me you don’t really believe it, you’re just trying to start an argument.

I hope he is better than that. Hack was overrated.
At the end of his true freshmen year he was the best pro-style QB in the country playing in an NFL offense more complicated than the version OB used in Houston with Dashaun Watson. That says he wasn't over-rated, it says he was under-rated. That is a fact and shows you have bad our staff was in 14/15.

The fact that you keep posting this shows me you don’t really believe it, you’re just trying to start an argument.
Actually, that is you. As usual, as soon as you show up, any opportunity for an actual discussion goes down the drain.

Reactions: zubrus1
At the end of his true freshmen year he was the best pro-style QB in the country playing in an NFL offense more complicated than the version OB used in Houston with Dashaun Watson. That says he wasn't over-rated, it says he was under-rated. That is a fact and shows you have bad our staff was in 14/15.
Wasn't even the best in the B10. Ranked 9th

Best according to whom? You can’t just say something as if it’s a fact because you think it. I’ve googled QB rankings from multiple sources and he’s not even mentioned in the top 25 on any list. He was ranked 9th in the Big alone…that doesn’t equal top rated in the country.

I can’t recall if Kerry Collins was highly rated bot I believe he was in the same class as Ron Powlus and look how that turned out even though Powlus won 3 Heismans at Notre Dame

Reactions: jimarnp
I know you have to use them but I would never use Rivals ratings to evaluate PSU recruits or players. There are much better ratings out there and I learned a long time ago to not even care about where Rivals rates our recruits. Maybe Rivals can look at what it's been doing for evaluations to make them somewhat reliable? But as of right now, there are 2 other sites that do a much better job with rating recruits. I love a lot of what Rivals does in other areas and prefer this site for most everything else, but their recruiting rankings are very poor.
Agree about rivals. A player who will be a first round draft Pick this spring told me about some of the stuff the rivals people would say to him during the summer prior to, and into his senior year. He Told me how they said to do certain events to maintain his ranking, as well as when he was ready to release his top five schools they didn’t like the five that he was picking from so they made him include Michigan and Alabama to call it a top 7

We'll see about Allar. He was rated #2 QB by On3 right below #1 Devin Brown at OSU.

247 composite had Allar #4 and Brown #5.

Last edited:
That list is shocking to me. I would like to see a pie chart of their wins as a starter.

Best according to whom? You can’t just say something as if it’s a fact because you think it. I’ve googled QB rankings from multiple sources and he’s not even mentioned in the top 25 on any list. He was ranked 9th in the Big alone…that doesn’t equal top rated in the country.
Hack's dad.

Reactions: AWS1022

Obrien ruined him. This was BEFORE Franklin was the coach.

Hack's claim to fame was a jumpball vs Michigan to a pro bowl WR. His third down completion percentage that season was horrible. He really was not that good. 7-5 season.

Last edited:
You gotta ignore Wally. He is just getting a laugh now as you argue with him that Hack should have been one our all time greats.

Wally I making the call right now...Demetrius Brown was a lot better than Rick Leach. And Franklin is a far superior coach to both Jimmah and Schmuckbechler. No response needed.

You gotta ignore Wally. He is just getting a laugh now as you argue with him that Hack should have been one our all time greats.

Wally I making the call right now...Demetrius Brown was a lot better than Rick Leach. And Franklin is a far superior coach to both Jimmah and Schmuckbechler. No response needed.
The know nothing clowns are out in force on this thread. Good lord. The BS they put out could cover most of the fields in Bucks county and part of Berks. Like I said, as soon as the usual trolls show up, any chance of discourse is over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT