ADVERTISEMENT

A Great Viking Event--And More!

DavidM

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2002
Annapolis, MD
Those of you in the general Delmarva area are invited to join me at the Manassas Viking Festival on Saturday, May 11th, beginning at 10 A.M. It's completely free, and there will be lots of interesting stuff going on. I'll be giving a series of short talks about various aspects of the Norse culture and history, as well as displaying some neat Viking artifacts--including an intact mid-10th century Viking sword. Come and say hello.

As for my latest novel:

“To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?” Cicero

My historical novel “Viking Warlord: A Saga of Thorkell the Great” is intended to bring us all a little closer to the REAL Norse people who lived so long ago, but who have left a blazing mark on human history. And it’s a great read as well!

No cartoon Vikings! No silly fantasies that have more in common with Mad Max movies than what actually happened a thousand years ago. This is a realistic and ultimately moving novel which includes everything we know or suspect about a genuine historical Viking warrior and leader named Thorkell. I defy anybody with even the slightest interest in the Vikings to read the reviews on Amazon and NOT get a copy to read. Impossible!

If you'd like a jpg of the artwork that I used for the book cover, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy. It's a really neat image of an invading Viking fleet. Find somebody who can do a good print, and you've got yourself a nice wall decoration (like I've got hanging in my office).

Those of you in the general Delmarva area are invited to join me at the Manassas Viking Festival on Saturday, May 11th
Will Kirk Cousins be there? He's not very popular in the Delmarva area since he stiffed the Skins.

how about an 82'!

6869133_20181009073725473_1_XLARGE.jpg

Sorry, nothing but a lap-straked vessel will do for me. And one really big sail--with a carved beast on the prow.

Those of you in the general Delmarva area are invited to join me at the Manassas Viking Festival on Saturday, May 11th, beginning at 10 A.M. It's completely free, and there will be lots of interesting stuff going on. I'll be giving a series of short talks about various aspects of the Norse culture and history, as well as displaying some neat Viking artifacts--including an intact mid-10th century Viking sword. Come and say hello.

As for my latest novel:

“To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?” Cicero

My historical novel “Viking Warlord: A Saga of Thorkell the Great” is intended to bring us all a little closer to the REAL Norse people who lived so long ago, but who have left a blazing mark on human history. And it’s a great read as well!

No cartoon Vikings! No silly fantasies that have more in common with Mad Max movies than what actually happened a thousand years ago. This is a realistic and ultimately moving novel which includes everything we know or suspect about a genuine historical Viking warrior and leader named Thorkell. I defy anybody with even the slightest interest in the Vikings to read the reviews on Amazon and NOT get a copy to read. Impossible!
What's the background on this? I wasn't aware of any Viking connection to the Delmarva area.

What's the background on this? I wasn't aware of any Viking connection to the Delmarva area.

The practical answer is that you're right--there is no known connection to Delmarva. However, it's clear from Leif Erickson's description of Vinland that the Norse people at least visited areas far to the south of Newfoundland, which is the only confirmed Viking site in North America. I'd suggest that they got at least as far as Cape Cod--and may have reached the Chesapeake Bay. Who knows?

However, the truth is that the Vikings have become a really popular culture because of the History Channel series and other media. There are Viking festivals in California and Oklahoma and Iowa--and I guarantee they never got that far!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT