ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts and observations returning from the game

hohmadw

Gold Member
Jan 24, 2010
Wilmington, DE
Just got back from the game-here are a few thoughts and observations:

1) Always good to meet fellow posters at the game. Thanks @tgar for the invite to your tailgate. It was good to see you again and my wife and I enjoyed meeting @belizediver and @sg west. Will post the picture that my wife took at the tailgate of the BWI posters.

2) Did anyone on the board think that after 7 games that our offense would only have six turnovers? I was not sure what to expect with a first year starting QB and new running backs. Not turning the ball over has been a key to our success so far this year.

3) I have been puzzled with the Blake Gilikin's rugby style punts. Coach Franklin commented that the punt protector blockers have been pushed back into our punter. It looks like Blake is making a judgement call whether to punt conventionally or rugby style depending upon the punt block protection. We always changed the punt blocking protection twice last night.

4) After listening to post game show on the 99.5 (The Bus FM) on the way home, I thought they made a good point that we are going to live and die by the sword with KJ Hamler on offense. I was surprised on how much space that Hamler had in the Michigan summary. Don Brown's Michigan defense lives and dies by press man coverage and we took advantage of that on several plays. Coach SJ made an excellent observation on the running game-we were focused too much on running up the middle as opposed to running outside of the tackles. Only two outside runs that I could recall as compared to seven last week versus Iowa.

5) For all of us waiting for Justin Shorter to break out, he continues to struggle with getting separation off the line of scrimmage. I watched him closely last night and Lavert Hill in particular have him tightly covered during the entire game. He was open on a slant pattern early in the game, but the pass was batted down. Hopefully we will get some production from the X wide receiver position for the rest of the year from Shorter/Daniel George.

6) Shout out to Dan Chisnea on his punt return coverage. Outstanding by the young man!

7) Interesting to see both two true freshman (Keaton Ellis and Marquis Wilson) get the backup snaps at cornerback. Did not recall Trent Gordon subbing in at CB.

8) The refs were going to ignore holding calls all night for both offensive lines and let them play.

9) When were we up 21-0, I thought to myself is Michigan dead for the rest of the game. Hats off to them for continuing to compete and change their offensive game plan to get back into the game. Shane Patterson had a very good game and made some good pocket awareness decisions.

10) Have to clean up the holding penalties on kick returns. Jonathan Sutherland held the kicker on Hamler's long return.

Good to get win 206 in person. I wonder how many fellow Board Members thought we would be 7-0 after playing both Iowa and Michigan. I for one did not think we could win in Iowa last week. Let's see the deal and take care of Michigan State next week and be 1-0 for the week.

Finally, I was impressed with scoreboard tie ins with former players watching the game along with the 170 recruits on the sideline. This type of win has to help recruiting for the future.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News