ADVERTISEMENT

A few random thoughts

Ceasar

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
In the MSU game and today, I don't think I have ever sees so many fumbles by an offense (MSU and IA) and every single one is recovered by the offense. Uncanny and unlucky for PSU.
Maybe the coaches on the board can explain, how did PSU manage to score 30 points against a defense that the pundits seemed to put in the same class as the Steel Curtain and Purple People Eaters? And how did we ever manage to slow down John Mackey and Mark Bavarro? Sorry for the sarcasm, sometimes I just think we go so far over the top in inflating players' abilities. That said, the one TE for IA is vey good (forget his name), Fant, on the other hand, is the epitome of soft.
At one point in the 4th quarter we were on defense and I saw Parsons and Brooks at LB, Castro-Fields and Sutherland in the secondary, Matos-Gross and Toney at DE and PJ at DT - all FR or So. In the first half we lined up with KJ, Dotson and Friermuth all on the field. Our "weaker" areas have a lot of promise.
Cam Brown has come a long way since week one and good for Pinegar to show up clutch today, another FR.
Finally, I expect we will play much better next week than many may expect. We will need some breaks to win but I think we have a shot. PSU has been in 5 games that have gone down to the wire - App St, OSU, MSU, Indy and today. That breeds toughness and grit and I think we saw that today. This is definitely not a great PSU team but they still have a shot to win 10 games and my hope is we continue to get better each week.
Finally, one negative thought. If JoMo owes CJF a favor, maybe Coach can call Joe and ask him to make our special teams coach an offer he can't refuse. By my count this season we have allowed 3 onsides kicks, 2 fake FG's, a KO return for a TD and now 2 safetys off of botched punts. Is there any aspect of special teams we have not experienced a meltdown? Oh, and the 4 muffed punts last week. I am normally very reluctant to place a lot of blame on coaches, but in this case how can you not at some point wonder what is going on?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News