ADVERTISEMENT

A few months ago I posted looking for "old" pick up truck advice....

CF LION

May 29, 2001
Following up on that post today.

Every time I located a truck, it had been sold by the time I contacted the seller. The used truck market for older trucks that still have life remaining is pretty hot right now.

I did find a truck last week just hit the market and I put a hold deposit down on it. Going to look at it today. Given my past experience I thought I'd jump on it.

It's a 2000 Dodge RAM 1500 Sport Model
4WD
5.9L V8
6.5' bed
130,000 miles
2 previous owners

There is some rust on the rear bumper and a few spots elsewhere but mostly looks pretty good given the age of the truck.

Interior appears to be very clean.

I've always been biased against Chrysler/Dodge, but this truck is simply going to be a bike-hauler,mulch-getter and occasional go-fishin' transporter. The reviews that I've read are mostly positive. And the price is right.

Any last words?

Every time I located a truck, it had been sold by the time I contacted the seller. The used truck market for older trucks that still have life remaining is pretty hot right now.

I did find a truck last week just hit the market and I put a hold deposit down on it. Going to look at it today. Given my past experience I thought I'd jump on it.

4WD
5.9L V8
6.5' bed
130,000 miles
2 previous owners

There is some rust on the rear bumper and a few spots elsewhere but mostly looks pretty good given the age of the truck.

I've always been biased against Chrysler/Dodge, but this truck is simply going to be a bike-hauler,mulch-getter and occasional go-fishin' transporter. The reviews that I've read are mostly positive. And the price is right.

Any last words?
Buy it.
RUN it!

4WD
5.9L V8
6.5' bed
130,000 miles
2 previous owners

Any last words?
Ive owned 2 Chevys , one Ford, and 4 Dodge (all trucks of different GVWR). Dodge is the worst for things going wrong, but they are my favorite and I keep buying them! That 5.9 is bulletproof for the most part. Good luck!

We bought a 1991 Chevy S-10 for $100 when my kids were getting to driving age. It only had 67k miles but had been sitting idle in Wilmington,DE for years. My mechanic called it a "creampuff" and after putting in about $1,000 it was everything you described and more. Our insurance went down with them as primary drivers on the truck. More than paid for itself in firewood, yard waste hauls and trout. I sold it to a student for $1,300 and "Charley" (named for the gentleman who owned it and passed away) is still going strong. My kids LOVED that truck...and were pissed when I sold him (bought a 94 Jeep Wrangled to fill same purposes)

Not the actual truck, but this is it...same color and all.....

22460490001_large.jpg

Looks great. Every old truck has its blemishes...but think of them as badges of honor that tell its story. Mine had two bullet holes on the passenger door, Yosemite Sam mudflaps and an open box cutter in the glove box. Eventually I ran over a fairly large buck one night going about 50mph. Didn't see him..but felt it. The dent in hood was my addition. If it checks out with your mechanic when you "test drive" it...then go for it!

4WD
5.9L V8
6.5' bed
130,000 miles
2 previous owners

Any last words?
i had a 1999 Durango with that 5.9l V8 pretty much a gas hog, but that wasnt unexpected. You need to change the spark plugs in it at least every 100,000 miles. I waited to 110,000 and had some issues, LOL!!!

4WD
5.9L V8
6.5' bed
130,000 miles
2 previous owners

Any last words?
They chug gasoline.

I bought a new 2000 Sonoma and my daughter was washing her car in the driveway while I was washing my truck. I remarked that this was my fishing and hunting redneck truck. My daughter looked at me with that what are talking about look. Then she said this is not a red neck truck. It is new, there is no rust on it, there are no dents or scratches anywhere. All the hubcaps are on it and they match. The tailgate closes and is not strapped on. The tailgate has two Penn State magnets on it. You do not have Yosemite Sam crossed gun mudflaps. The bed is not half full of firewood with a chain saw and gas can on top. The rear window does not have a sliding beer can evacuation chute and there are no empty beer cans in the bed. The seats are not stained, the floor is clean there is no gun rack mounted on the back window. And finally one of your radio preset buttons is set on 60's on 6 and two others are set on NPR stations. Nobody will ever think this is a red neck truck. It is just an old fart's truck.

The only comeback I had was "Well I could go to Walmart and get a gun rack." She said "give it up you lost."

Reactions: psrurock
When you said old I was thinking 1970s not 2000s!! Holy crap I am getting old! Had a 1978 Ford F-150 that was awesome. This was in 1995.

4WD
5.9L V8
6.5' bed
130,000 miles
2 previous owners

Any last words?

Dodge trucks are notorious for rusting. Other than that, they are a well powered truck, and as others have mentioned, gas hogs. I don't think a 20 year old classic car is worth close to $6k, but maybe that's just your market.

Dodge trucks are notorious for rusting. Other than that, they are a well powered truck, and as others have mentioned, gas hogs. I don't think a 20 year old classic car is worth close to $6k, but maybe that's just your market.

Suburban Philly. Can't keep them on the lots here.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I bought a new 2000 Sonoma and my daughter was washing her car in the driveway while I was washing my truck. I remarked that this was my fishing and hunting redneck truck. My daughter looked at me with that what are talking about look. Then she said this is not a red neck truck. It is new, there is no rust on it, there are no dents or scratches anywhere. All the hubcaps are on it and they match. The tailgate closes and is not strapped on. The tailgate has two Penn State magnets on it. You do not have Yosemite Sam crossed gun mudflaps. The bed is not half full of firewood with a chain saw and gas can on top. The rear window does not have a sliding beer can evacuation chute and there are no empty beer cans in the bed. The seats are not stained, the floor is clean there is no gun rack mounted on the back window. And finally one of your radio preset buttons is set on 60's on 6 and two others are set on NPR stations. Nobody will ever think this is a red neck truck. It is just an old fart's truck.

The only comeback I had was "Well I could go to Walmart and get a gun rack." She said "give it up you lost."

Nice shot on Yosemite Sam! The guns were indeed crossed and the flaps said "Back Off!" The truck barely got over 60mph- so I often had a parade behind me. I had a PSU Nittany Lion Club sticker behind the driver and the PA Truck vanity tag PSU ALUM (which is now available CFLion). Rednecky truck for sure...but my daughter would side with yours...more a suburban facade than fact (eventhough I was born in Western Virginia...20 miles from WV line)

Reactions: Carl Spackler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT