ADVERTISEMENT

A date that will live in infamy........

perhaps the most seminal moment that has shaped our lives. Japan saw that the USA was the "sleeping giant" that was surely going to be drawn into the war. But years of isolationism as a result of WW1 made the US weak. So Japan decided to act out proactively and attack the USA with the goal of destroying our Navy in one fell swoop. Fortunately, much of the Navy was not in port that day and the boys fought to save several ships that might have been destroyed (while severely damaged).

This event caused the USA to take a worldwide leadership position and ended up with us being the world police. Good or bad, who can say? But we haven't had anything that resembles the previous wars since then. "Speak softly and carry a big stick" is from Teddy Rosevelt (before the war) but became world policy since 1941.

As we climb out of the global pandemic, change will create desperation. Power and money will change. The next ten years will be very interesting.

1200px-Military_Expenditures_by_Country_2019.svg.png

Reactions: TheGLOV
Years ago, I worked with a guy who was on the island and in the service when the planes flew over the island before hitting Pearl Harbor. He and his fellow service men saw them and thought it odd but just thought it was some sort of training mission. On another note, my father entered the service on December 7, 1942. He was captured in the Battle of the Bulge and spent six months as a POW. He was rescued by Paton and his men. On a very odd twist for you older guys, he was held in Stalag 13. He always thought it funny and said it wasn't quite like the TV show. He spent a year in the VA Hospital after his release. True story.

There was a WWII veteran at the deer camp that I went to. He was 18 and at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked. As he was 18 and lowest rank, his bunk therefore was at the bottom of the boat. When his ship got hit, it flipped over. Long story short, he and his bunkmates knew the water was rising in the ship as the tapping that was occurring by all the sailors below him to alert people that they were trapped (whose bunks were higher up in the ship) started to stop (they were dead from drowning). The water started to come into the air vent into their room and was up to their necks. He said they all confessed their sins and made peace with God as they knew they had about 15 minutes left. At that point, they heard a blow torch above them and got cut out with about 10 minutes before they would have drown.

Same guy was also in the battle of Midway. Said his shift ended during the battle and he went up on deck just to get some fresh air as he was down in the boiler room for 12 straight hours. Said for the next 30 minutes and just sat on the deck and watched with amazement the utter chaos occurring. He said the noise of non-stop shelling, massive explosions of ships blowing up, fighter planes everywhere with tracer bullets. He said take the July 4th New York City fireworks display and multiple it by 100 and then have it last for hours and that is what it was like.

I had the honor of meeting 7 of the Doolittle Tokyo Raiders during their 65th Reunion. A moment I will never forget.

Years ago, I worked with a guy who was on the island and in the service when the planes flew over the island before hitting Pearl Harbor. He and his fellow service men saw them and thought it odd but just thought it was some sort of training mission. On another note, my father entered the service on December 7, 1942. He was captured in the Battle of the Bulge and spent six months as a POW. He was rescued by Paton and his men. On a very odd twist for you older guys, he was held in Stalag 13. He always thought it funny and said it wasn't quite like the TV show. He spent a year in the VA Hospital after his release. True story.

He is a hero in my book!

There was a WWII veteran at the deer camp that I went to. He was 18 and at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked. As he was 18 and lowest rank, his bunk therefore was at the bottom of the boat. When his ship got hit, it flipped over. Long story short, he and his bunkmates knew the water was rising in the ship as the tapping that was occurring by all the sailors below him to alert people that they were trapped (whose bunks were higher up in the ship) started to stop (they were dead from drowning). The water started to come into the air vent into their room and was up to their necks. He said they all confessed their sins and made peace with God as they knew they had about 15 minutes left. At that point, they heard a blow torch above them and got cut out with about 10 minutes before they would have drown.

Same guy was also in the battle of Midway. Said his shift ended during the battle and he went up on deck just to get some fresh air as he was down in the boiler room for 12 straight hours. Said for the next 30 minutes and just sat on the deck and watched with amazement the utter chaos occurring. He said the noise of non-stop shelling, massive explosions of ships blowing up, fighter planes everywhere with tracer bullets. He said take the July 4th New York City fireworks display and multiple it by 100 and then have it last for hours and that is what it was like.
Must have been on the Oklahoma at Pearl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT