ADVERTISEMENT

A conspiracy theory I often wonder about!

emrtmakesshiteup

Oct 17, 2012
You would assume that most of the staff at the visitors hotel are fans of the home team. What if someone in the kitchen added an over the counter medicine to randomly selected platers or to the whole team's main course. e.g. someone has a few grand on the game and they add a pound of ground benadryl. They could purchase it for weeks from numerous sources. It would be tasteless but it might be enough to diminish performance by a few percentage points. At that skill level 1% to 10% could be significant. All I know is, UM's players aside, we sure did look lethargic yesterday. The team in white should have "looked" faster than a dark uniform!

You would assume that most of the staff at the visitors hotel are fans of the home team. What if someone in the kitchen added an over the counter medicine to randomly selected platers or to the whole team's main course. e.g. someone has a few grand on the game and they add a pound of ground benadryl. They could purchase it for weeks from numerous sources. It would be tasteless but it might be enough to diminish performance by a few percentage points. At that skill level 1% to 10% could be significant. All I know is, UM's players aside, we sure did look lethargic yesterday. The team in white should have "looked" faster than a dark uniform!

Does the team eat together in the same dining room? Lots of schools give their players a meal allowance and they're on their own.

Does the team eat together in the same dining room? Lots of schools give their players a meal allowance and they're on their own.
How would this work? It's not like teams generally stay in Times Square. It's usually a hotel with few walking options. If not a full team meal, I envision the team bus goes to an area with several options and the guys go in groups of 10-20 to places like outback, Olive Garden, etc.

If a hotel or restaurant was caught drugging the food of diners, someone would be arrested and a civil suit would follow. I'd like to think nobody would be stupid enough to risk their business for a football game. The reality was we didn't play well. It's par for the course when we go on the road.

If a hotel or restaurant was caught drugging the food of diners, someone would be arrested and a civil suit would follow. I'd like to think nobody would be stupid enough to risk their business for a football game. The reality was we didn't play well. It's par for the course when we go on the road.
Firstly, I really wasn't suggesting that is what happened yesterday, only that it "might" be possible. By possible I actually mean, how much of anything could/would be necessary to impact performance? Secondly, anyone that ever pulled any caper and got caught was stupid enough to try it.

well isn't that supposedly what happened in Salt Lake City before the game where Michael Jordan played with the "flu"?

well isn't that supposedly what happened in Salt Lake City before the game where Michael Jordan played with the "flu"?

Nah, that was just MJ being a drama queen. He had a temp of 98.7 and played it for all it was worth! Known throughout Chicagoland!

There is a rumor that this is exactly what happened in one of the London Derbies several years ago. I believe it was end of season and a Champions League spot was on the line. Spurs were the alleged poisonees, IIRC. Not saying it happened, just that it is widely rumored.

In the 1970's, when UM visited CBus, the hotel would always lose hot water in the morning. UM had to take cold showers.

Absolutely. They would be more than arrested. Tampering with food carries serious penalties.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT