ADVERTISEMENT

A charter school (Imhotep) and a private Catholic school (St. Joe's Prep) do in the Central League's finest.

19333lion

Jan 30, 2016
Both games were routs, with Strath Haven getting blanked 36-0 and Garnet Valley going down 49-13.

I think it's time for public schools to boycott this bull___t. Garnet Valley is a damn good team that draws from a clearly defined school district. The same with Strath Haven. The charter and private schools can play among themselves to see who recruits the best.

I will be pulling for every public school in the finals.

Why? Aren't they high school kids?
Of course the are. It's just that some schools have all star lineups that come from areas beyond those schools' rational boundaries. I mean how many white kids playing for St. Joe's come the immediate neighborhood? The answer quite likely is none. For that matter, many of their African American players reside outside the area too, I strongly suspect.

Imhotep Charter also brings kids in from all over the city, as I understand it. How are Gratz and Marin Luther King Highs supposed to compete with them? The answer is that they can't.

I have no problem with private or charter schools. I am of the opinion that they need to play among themselves, unless public schools want to schedule them in the regular season. They can compete in their own playoffs.

Both games were routs, with Strath Haven getting blanked 36-0 and Garnet Valley going down 49-13.

I think it's time for public schools to boycott this bull___t. Garnet Valley is a damn good team that draws from a clearly defined school district. The same with Strath Haven. The charter and private schools can play among themselves to see who recruits the best.

New Jersey has separated the private and public schools for years. It’s the only fair way to do it.

Of course the are. It's just that some schools have all star lineups that come from areas beyond those schools' rational boundaries. I mean how many white kids playing for St. Joe's come the immediate neighborhood? The answer quite likely is none. For that matter, many of their African American players reside outside the area too, I strongly suspect.

Imhotep Charter also brings kids in from all over the city, as I understand it. How are Gratz and Marin Luther King Highs supposed to compete with them? The answer is that they can't.

I have no problem with private or charter schools. I am of the opinion that they need to play among themselves, unless public schools want to schedule them in the regular season. They can compete in their own playoffs.
This problem exists from the 6A down to the 1A level in PA. And in multiple sports. And you are right, if enough public schools went to the PIAA and said they've had enough, things would change.

The public schools would have to get a pretty big group together, gather lots of data, etc. They could do it, but who would take charge to organize it. Need big and small schools and from all areas of the state too. It's a big undertaking.

So it's a race thing?

I used to think the public schools had a disadvantage, but have moved past it.
Too bad. Welcome to life. Blame the state/county bureaucrats who drew the arbitrary boundaries for public schools. If the private schools dominate them in sports, tough
Of course it is not a race thing. The demographics are indicative of how enrollments are skewed to building powerhouses that are not representative of a district's populace nor of probable talent residing in it. Imhotep is 100% African American enrollment. Overbrook is 97%. William Penn 88%. Simon Gratz 100%. MLK 99%. You tell me that Imhotep isn't recruiting. They destroy those schools and they destroy public schools in the playoffs. When they lose, it is generally to a private Catholic school that employs the same recruiting tactics.

Of course it is not a race thing. The demographics are indicative of how enrollments are skewed to building powerhouses that are not representative of a district's populace nor of probable talent residing in it. Imhotep is 100% African American enrollment. Overbrook is 97%. William Penn 88%. Simon Gratz 100%. MLK 99%. You tell me that Imhotep isn't recruiting. They destroy those schools and they destroy public schools in the playoffs. When they lose, it is generally to a private Catholic school that employs the same recruiting tactics.
BINGO

Reactions: blmr31
So it's a race thing?

I used to think the public schools had a disadvantage, but have moved past it.
Too bad. Welcome to life. Blame the state/county bureaucrats who drew the arbitrary boundaries for public schools. If the private schools dominate them in sports, tough
Don't let them recruit for athletics. If they want a scholarship it needs to be academically based or nothing. Watch how good they would be in 2 years. If these kids can't earn an academic scholly then play for their local public school.

Reactions: RaymondReddington

What about southern Columbia probably going to win their 6th state championship out of the last 7 years l think

On one hand the piaa will make Aliquippa play up to 4a and on the other let the private schools run wild. Seems fair. By the way, I would love to have the Quips play at A level against a Bishop Guilfoyle.

As soon as you stop people moving into districts to play sport at certain high schools programs, then I could see your point.

On one hand the piaa will make Aliquippa play up to 4a and on the other let the private schools run wild. Seems fair. By the way, I would love to have the Quips play at A level against a Bishop Guilfoyle.
The Quips might as well be a private school the way talented athletes from outside the district transfer there.

Reactions: unclewill
There’s a simple solution to this. Make charter/private schools play in the classification of their location. They are getting their students from that area. Play at that classification.

There’s a simple solution to this. Make charter/private schools play in the classification of their location. They are getting their students from that area. Play at that classification.
Maybe the highest or one above average classification within so many miles or city limit of the school. Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and I am sure most of the other metropolitan areas all have schools that play 1A to 6A.

I teach at a school which has had kids poached by both Inter AC and the former powerhouse Red Lion Christian.

The former worked out well for a young lineman who needed an extra year of physical training and educational growth. While he played on a star studded tram and started for 2 years his best offer was 1AA.

The latter jetted our program the day before training can where he was set to start at qb as a sophomore after a solid performance on the back half of his freshman year. Totally screwed team/coaches and ultimately himself as he never saw a snap at qb behind and 8th grader named Sills. Became a lb....then transfered back to us but was ineligible for first senior year. Then left to another local public school to play out the string. He never played a meaningful snap at qb after ditching us and never played a down in college eventhough he looked at Lincoln and Cheyney locally.

I know that athletic scholarships were in play in each case. At least the lineman made it to the next level. Slippery slope when kids are paid to play. Sometimes it works out....others not so much.

At least Inter AC doesn't participate in PIAA playoffs. They are who they are and own it. Red Lion blew up as a sports factory...got back to their core educational mission.

Reactions: 19333lion
Maybe the highest or one above average classification within so many miles or city limit of the school. Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and I am sure most of the other metropolitan areas all have schools that play 1A to 6A.
There’s a geographical location for every private/charter. What is the public school of that location? There’s your answer.

Reactions: PAgeologist
Bishop McDevitt recruits from Harrisburg (6A), Central Dauphin (6A), CD East (6A), as well a number of smaller schools with a good program (Middletown, Steel High). They should be playing 6A.

Reactions: RaymondReddington

Same thing in Ohio. The private schools have a decided advantage. Take Medina(public-Drew Allar) vs. St. Edward's(private) in the D1 playoffs. Medina had the best player on the field in Allar. St. Ed's probably had the next 10. Hence St. Ed's won and then went on to win the state title. Most public schools in Ohio have no shot ever at a state title in any sport.

I teach at a school which has had kids poached by both Inter AC and the former powerhouse Red Lion Christian.

The former worked out well for a young lineman who needed an extra year of physical training and educational growth. While he played on a star studded tram and started for 2 years his best offer was 1AA.

The latter jetted our program the day before training can where he was set to start at qb as a sophomore after a solid performance on the back half of his freshman year. Totally screwed team/coaches and ultimately himself as he never saw a snap at qb behind and 8th grader named Sills. Became a lb....then transfered back to us but was ineligible for first senior year. Then left to another local public school to play out the string. He never played a meaningful snap at qb after ditching us and never played a down in college eventhough he looked at Lincoln and Cheyney locally.

I know that athletic scholarships were in play in each case. At least the lineman made it to the next level. Slippery slope when kids are paid to play. Sometimes it works out....others not so much.

At least Inter AC doesn't participate in PIAA playoffs. They are who they are and own it. Red Lion blew up as a sports factory...got back to their core educational mission.
Red Lion a sports factory? They had Scott Fitzkee-that is about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT