ADVERTISEMENT

A BTN Tailgate segment about the Dave Peterson letter

NittPicker

Jun 30, 2001
So a guy rooted in the 1960s writes a moronic letter to Jonathan Sutherland about his hair and it's a lingering story. Someone in Georgia makes a racist comment which causes a kid to TRANSFER and we hear nothing else about it. Someone please tell me why the Peterson letter is still an obsession.

So a guy rooted in the 1960s writes a moronic letter to Jonathan Sutherland about his hair and it's a lingering story. Someone in Georgia makes a racist comment which causes a kid to TRANSFER and we hear nothing else about it. Someone please tell me why the Peterson letter is still an obsession.
Might as well talk about the helmet stickers and patches here as well and put it all out there.

Because of the Sandusky scandal It will never go away so sad

Because of the Sandusky scandal It will never go away so sad

Has nothing, zero to do with the Sandusky scandal. It provides physical evidence for the current national hot button issue in the US and sports in general. No other Big10 school has provided a physical piece of evidence that easily fits into this story that I am aware of.

Reactions: BBrown
Has nothing, zero to do with the Sandusky scandal. It provides physical evidence for the current national hot button issue in the US and sports in general. No other Big10 school has provided a physical piece of evidence that easily fits into this story that I am aware of.
Even if it doesn’t necessarily fit, they will make it.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Unreal someone takes the time to write a letter to some young man and criticize his hair. I thought that stuff went out in the 60’s. I know Joe liked clean cut, but that’s no excuse. Some people are just idiots.

WTF again? That was sooo 2019.
Have they discussed the ongoing story at Iowa? You know the current one thats happening NOW. :mad:

Maybe? But it fits it to a tee, so we will never know.
It doesn't fit at all. There are white guys with dread locks and I'm pretty sure the Petersons think they look "awful" too. Wishing kids looked more clean cut is not a racial thing. It's an age thing.

I’m 48 and I gave up caring about hairstyles a long, long time ago. I’ve met enough long haired people of every race to have learned not to judge them by their hair. On the other side, I’ve met enough 3 piece suited douchebags with short hair to know better than to think highly of them without getting to know them. I also don’t care about the patches or stickers or slogans.

Peterson is an a$$hole. Think anything you want, but what gives him the right to infringe on anyone else. Did he think he was going to solve anything other than kicking the hornets nest. We have some real narrow minded dumb mother effers. Then we all get clumped in/ with this moron, and it never goes away.

I'm one of the few who thinks the Peterson thing was blown out of proportion. To be clear, I think it's horribly wrong to call out an individual athlete at this level. No excuse for that. But I think it's totally fair to express discontent for how players (in general) dress and groom. I don't see that as racist at all.

I recall when PSU fans were critical of kids like Brian Bosworth of Oklahoma having long hair. PSU fans used to take pride in PSU's clean cut image. Even today the NY Yankees don't allow long hair. Is that racist?

Reactions: Harrisburg Dave
I'm one of the few who thinks the Peterson thing was blown out of proportion. To be clear, I think it's horribly wrong to call out an individual athlete at this level. No excuse for that. But I think it's totally fair to express discontent for how players (in general) dress and groom. I don't see that as racist at all.

I recall when PSU fans were critical of kids like Brian Bosworth of Oklahoma having long hair. PSU fans used to take pride in PSU's clean cut image. Even today the NY Yankees don't allow long hair. Is that racist?

it is if you are singling out people of color like the Dave dbag did. Lots of white kids on the team have long hair. None of them got letters.
As far as Bosworth goes he didn’t have very long hair wasn’t it more of a spikey mullet?

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
it is if you are singling out people of color line the Dave dbag did. Lots of white kids on the team have long hair. None of them got letters.
As far as Bosworth goes he didn’t have very long hair wasn’t it more of a spikey mullet?
Or he singled him out because he had the longest and most visible hair on the team and it wasn’t even close.

Reactions: bdgan
it is if you are singling out people of color line the Dave dbag did. Lots of white kids on the team have long hair. None of them got letters.
Read what I said. I strongly condemn critical letters to or about an individual player regardless of race.

That said, I have no problem if a fan expresses displeasure with lax rules about dress and grooming. I think it shows discipline and respect. I remember having to wear suits to road games. I certainly didn't see that as racist.

Reactions: Harrisburg Dave
Or he singled him out because he had the longest and most visible hair on the team and it wasn’t even close.

ehhh maybe. Blake Gilliken is in the running as well. Also there was an OL on OB's team that had his locks flowing out of his helmet.
1186648766.jpg.0.jpg

But the major point in all this is it was over a year ago. No sense in even brining it back up.

ehhh maybe. Blake Gilliken is in the running as well. Also there was an OL on OB's team that had his locks flowing out of his helmet.
1186648766.jpg.0.jpg

But the major point in all this is it was over a year ago. No sense in even brining it back up.
Agree it shouldn’t have been brought up again, but Gilliken’s hair isn’t even in the same ballpark as Sutherland’s.

I would urge everyone to remember this BTN story next time PSU misses a few high profile recruits we think we lead for. Many of us have thought there is something amiss with PSU recruiting and IMO this story, and a few others with the same underlying theme, is a part of it. Can I prove this? Of course not. But there is no question other schools will make sure recruits see this story, over and over again. For Howard Griffith to use racism at PSU as a call for social justice is infuriating. As others have alluded to, what about Justin Fields at GA and the lawsuit at Iowa. Crickets.....

I would urge everyone to remember this BTN story next time PSU misses a few high profile recruits we think we lead for. Many of us have thought there is something amiss with PSU recruiting and IMO this story, and a few others with the same underlying theme, is a part of it. Can I prove this? Of course not. But there is no question other schools will make sure recruits see this story, over and over again. For Howard Griffith to use racism at PSU as a call for social justice is infuriating. As others have alluded to, what about Justin Fields at GA and the lawsuit at Iowa. Crickets.....

+1. And I like Howard Griffith and think he's the best and most impartial on their panels but that was a horrible take on his part.
Now about Iowa...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT