ADVERTISEMENT

7 years ago today...Bill O’Brien announces he’s leaving PSU

You’re right! Every time I think about the 2016/2017 run, I think to myself, “thank god for Bill O’Brien, the coach 100% responsible for recruiting the quarterback on those teams, Trace McSorley.” When I watch the 2016 OSU win or the B1G championship, I can’t help but think, “where would Penn State be if Bill O’Brien hadn’t recruited Grant Haley?” Every time I see a recruit mentioning Saquon Barkley I think, “blessings to OB for securing the services of Saquon Barkley, who famously committed to Penn State, and not Rutgers, when OB was our coach.”

Sorry, Trace was a bit player in 2016 and 2017. His play (and Brent Pry) are what cost us the playoffs both years. The only time his play impacted a game either year was in losses. The fact of the matter is, Grant Haley was the only key player on those teams that was a Franklin recruit. The rest, including Barkley were O'Brien targets. If O'Brien hadn't targeted Barkley, he never would have been a Penn Stater because Franklin and his staff do not recruit his school because they don't produce enough prospects.

Sorry, Trace was a bit player in 2016 and 2017. His play (and Brent Pry) are what cost us the playoffs both years. The only time his play impacted a game either year was in losses. The fact of the matter is, Grant Haley was the only key player on those teams that was a Franklin recruit. The rest, including Barkley were O'Brien targets. If O'Brien hadn't targeted Barkley, he never would have been a Penn Stater because Franklin and his staff do not recruit his school because they don't produce enough prospects.
Please find your way home, somewhere there’s a village missing their idiot.

A playoff team in 2014? With 2 offensive linemen that they had to move from defense because we didn't have enough OL to even have a 2 deep? With a QB who couldn't complete a screen pass? This is just plain dumb. I used to read your posts closely because they seemed legit. Now I think you must just be a Franklin hater so I'll now bypass your brilliance.

Not one of your points is actually true.

As an aside, when Bill left, I urged Joyner to rehire Vanderlinden to his former coaching position because Ron was such a positive influence. Of course my urging was to no avail.

Joyner did not fire him. That was st. bob.

It was a sad day when Bill O'Brien moved his NFL departure schedule ahead by two years due entirely to Joyner and Erickson's conduct (not fighting the NCAA, standing up to the Big Ten) as well as meddling (Vanderlinden, Sebastianelli, Fischer) in the football program. His departure cost us a playoff shot in 2014 (the staff thought they had a legit shot at running the table). With that said, if Sandy hadn't signed off on a irresponsible buyout for Franklin and we could get a five year commitment from BoB to come back, I would kick Franklin to the curb yesterday and welcome BoB back with open arms. Even though he would be taking over a team with considerably less talent than the one he inherited, he has proven to be a better Xs and Os coach, identifier of talent (his talent was 100% responsible for the 2016/17 run) and recruiter.

Sad day for houston. Bob was a dbag. I guess you forget he hated you and could not wait to jump ship.

Mcsorley and Barkley were not even offered by obrien.

Last edited:
For gosh sakes, that better be part of your personality coaching football, especially at that level. My coach was loved in the community, however, if you'd have been around him in the locker room or on the field, you'd have viewed him as a real p****! I respect him for not being a phony "nice guy"!

You don't have to be a phony guy. You do have to get along with people you NEED to win. You need to get along with star players, coaches and a GM.

That douch could not even get along with Brady. Fired vanderlinden, trades his all pro wr, and got his gm fired.

Last edited:
You don't have to be a phony guy. You do have to get along with people you NEED to win like star players, coaches and a GM.

That douch could not even get along with Brady. Fired vanderlinden, trades his all pro wr, and got his gm fired.
And have to get along with recruits’ parents as well.

Your constant insistence that Franklin “wouldn’t have recruited Saquon Barkley if O’Brien hadn’t recruited him first” is weird and massively incorrect for a bunch of reasons. Barkley was literally one of Franklin’s first recruiting calls when he was hired here, and he’s recruited several prospects from the Lehigh Valley that don’t typically produce D1 prospects. There is literally no evidence to support your bizarre argument that Franklin only recruits players from high schools that consistently produce talent. The overwhelming majority of players from Barkley’s recruiting class played at high schools where we haven’t even offered another prospect from. It’s just completely devoid of any logic or reason. And we haven’t even talked about your somehow even more bizarre argument that Trace McSorley, who was an all-conference quarterback in both seasons and is pulling down an NFL paycheck, was a “bit player.” It’s just insane.

Reactions: grinagrin
Your constant insistence that Franklin “wouldn’t have recruited Saquon Barkley if O’Brien hadn’t recruited him first” is weird and massively incorrect for a bunch of reasons. Barkley was literally one of Franklin’s first recruiting calls when he was hired here, and he’s recruited several prospects from the Lehigh Valley that don’t typically produce D1 prospects. There is literally no evidence to support your bizarre argument that Franklin only recruits players from high schools that consistently produce talent. The overwhelming majority of players from Barkley’s recruiting class played at high schools where we haven’t even offered another prospect from. It’s just completely devoid of any logic or reason. And we haven’t even talked about your somehow even more bizarre argument that Trace McSorley, who was an all-conference quarterback in both seasons and is pulling down an NFL paycheck, was a “bit player.” It’s just insane.

Keep telling yourself that. Doesn't change the fact that Franklin's best recruits were almost all O'Brien targets and his best players almost across the board were either Paterno or O'Brien players.

Go ahead, argue your points without insults. Lets see what happens?
Ok, calling McSorley a bit player destroys any possible credibility you might have had....he had more to do with our wins than he did our losses. He’s the winningest QB in PSU history....that’s not even close to a bit player. Also, Franklin recruited Barkley, not BOB....there’s no way you could have any idea if Barkley would have gone to PSU had BOB stayed, so your whistling in the wind with that argument. I’m not sure why you have this intense hatred for Franklin, but it’s distorting your views to the point of lunacy. If you have problems with Franklin, that’s fine but don’t start having unrealistic views about O’Brien just because you don’t like Franklin. Do you forget that last year (6 years later) Franklin finished in the top 10 and was 11-2....is that still because of O’Brien and Paterno’s awesome recruiting?

Barkley flipped from Rutgers to Penn State after O'Brien left.

Sorry, Trace was a bit player in 2016 and 2017.

You’re drunk, right? Trace had the two highest total offense seasons in school history those two seasons and you call him a bit player. And somehow you still claim Barkley as Bill’s recruit despite all the facts to the contrary. I’d put you on ignore but your stuff is too funny.

Yeah me too. It was obvious to anyone paying attention that O’Brien intended to use his gig at PSU as his ticket to a head coaching job in the NFL from his first minute on campus. As I said several times before, I don’t begrudge him that but let’s be honest about it.
So O’Brien figured his ticket to NFL head coaching gig was taking over a program mired in controversy and scandal, rather than stay as Tom Brady’s OC with the Patriots? Great logic

As an aside, when Bill left, I urged Joyner to rehire Vanderlinden to his former coaching position because Ron was such a positive influence. Of course my urging was to no avail.
Right, cause afterall it’s commonplace for trustees to name linebacker coaches and not the incoming head coach who may want to choose his own staff

It was a sad day when Bill O'Brien moved his NFL departure schedule ahead by two years due entirely to Joyner and Erickson's conduct (not fighting the NCAA, standing up to the Big Ten) as well as meddling (Vanderlinden, Sebastianelli, Fischer) in the football program. His departure cost us a playoff shot in 2014 (the staff thought they had a legit shot at running the table). With that said, if Sandy hadn't signed off on a irresponsible buyout for Franklin and we could get a five year commitment from BoB to come back, I would kick Franklin to the curb yesterday and welcome BoB back with open arms. Even though he would be taking over a team with considerably less talent than the one he inherited, he has proven to be a better Xs and Os coach, identifier of talent (his talent was 100% responsible for the 2016/17 run) and recruiter.
Wolve is that you?

Having worked hard and successfully to get the Houston GM fired and then assuming the role, it is hard to imagine any other GM in the NFL wanting to hire OB as head coach. He is a control freak and that side of him has been totally exposed. Be very interesting to see where he lands.

So O’Brien figured his ticket to NFL head coaching gig was taking over a program mired in controversy and scandal, rather than stay as Tom Brady’s OC with the Patriots? Great logic

His act was wearing thin with the pats.

You are clueless. Obrien never even offered Barkley. Barkley and blacknall were Kyle floods recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT