ADVERTISEMENT

52, 74, 62, 66, 77. your starting OL for 17 baring injury

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
MM gets the start at C. Based on what? Based on this clip and another.
https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/ryan-bates-beast-mode-at-practice.180228/

Listen you can hear the coach yell, kick him out, Mike, and I take that to be MM at C with Gonzo at OG.
It appears they are working on what people call a buck sweep play where the OG, and C both pull on a sweep. I am not sure they ran that play last year.

this is UNC running 'buck sweep' I am guessing we added this to the arsnel based on the clip above.

Last edited:
Reactions: artsandletters
Of course, 70 and 59 aren't on that line and we know they will be in the mix somewhere, sometime.

Of course, 70 and 59 aren't on that line and we know they will be in the mix somewhere, sometime.
As good of warriors they have been, I think they are back ups right now. I wish them nothing but the best, but that's what I see

Listen you can hear the coach yell, kick him out, Mike, and I take that to be MM at C with Gonzo at OG.
It appears they are working on what people call a buck sweep play where the OG, and C both pull on a sweep. I am not sure they ran that play last year.

this is UNC running 'buck sweep' I am guessing we added this to the arsnel based on the clip above.

names please

Reactions: NedFromYork
Until I see otherwise.....my guess is McGovern at C and Bates at LT.

I would like to see Left to Right:
Bates, Gonzales, McGovern, Mahon, Wright

With Nelson, Menet, Miranda, Fries,Gellerstadt and perhaps Jenkins backing up the starters.

The camera work is fascinating, in that they have hidden the center from every drill. I couldn't tell who was at center on the kickem out Mike play, and there were 4 men on the 5 man sled. The mystery continues, but having two absolute warriors like Mahon and Nelson as backups, means only good things for this O line, in that the best five have fully taken shape, but the next two are going to be solid guys and we won't miss a beat, just in case somebody gets nicked up.

The camera work is fascinating, in that they have hidden the center from every drill. I couldn't tell who was at center on the kickem out Mike play, and there were 4 men on the 5 man sled. The mystery continues, but having two absolute warriors like Mahon and Nelson as backups, means only good things for this O line, in that the best five have fully taken shape, but the next two are going to be solid guys and we won't miss a beat, just in case somebody gets nicked up.
I see 2 guys pulling the OG and the C, one has a 7? and I think that is Gonzo, so that leaves a 'Mike' to kick him out, he has to be the Center. I guess we have 2 Mike's on the OL, I am going with the one that has played

Not sure if serious, Mahon and bates are the two best lineman on the team. Mahon will be starting and will be all conference.
yes I was serious just going by what I see in practice video thats all. I think we'd all love several all conference players
I have Bates starting at LT.

From your link I saw 66 McGovern at Center.

Not sure if serious, Mahon and bates are the two best lineman on the team. Mahon will be starting and will be all conference.

I thought Mahon and Bates were terrific on the left side last year. No reason to change it. McGovern was excellent at RG too.

Open spots are center and RT. Try Menet at C. If he's good, great! If not, maybe move McGovern to C and let Wright, Nelson, Gonzo
and Menet battle it out for RG and RT. Probably Gonzo at RG and Nelson/Wright splitting time at RT.

Wasn't mahon one of the highest graded lineman last year before his absence? I thought mahon was a certainty to start if healthy.

i think that is correct, and Nelson was at one point our best OL. Bates has taken that role. we have on the team the bulk of OL who played/started last year. they were the best last year, and we lost one guy from that OL. it would seem your OL would be some combo of Mahon, Nelson, Bates, Gonzo, McGovern and Wright.

who is 74?

Reactions: Johan Mesofits
I am just not sure how recovered Mahon and Nelson are from their injuries. We won't know until the depth chart is released. I am not sure Limegrover knows at this point. He may be trying different combos everyday in camp. Great problem to have with so many quality players trying for 5 spots... been a long time since PSU has had this kind of quality and depth on the Oline. Only going to get better as well as guys get more experience and more time in the weight room. Plus young guys pushing them for playing time. The future is bright at PSU for the Oline time to enjoy it

Reactions: royboy
The Center is the leader of the OL who calls the protections and blocking adjustments, and for that reason as well as McGovern's background and experience, I believe he will be the starting center for the next 2-3 years. Strong up the middle always works. If Menet ends up starting I believe it will be at Guard. Same for Gonzo.

With all the experience back, including Nelson and Mahon, as well as the redshirt freshmen Fries and Menet ready to contribute, I still believe all the true freshmen olinemen will be on track to redshirt. Only dramatic injuries would put pressure on CJF to play Miranda, and last year with all the injuries he still didn't play Fries.

yes I was serious just going by what I see in practice video thats all. I think we'd all love several all conference players
I have Bates starting at LT.

You saw a 30 second clip? You can't take anything from that. Plus they haven't even started game planning for Akron yet, so they are just in experiment and cross training at different positions mode. Again trying to figure out starters from teaser clips is worthless, imo.

Reactions: grinagrin
A few seasons back we had nine scholarship OL. Now we have nine OL that are being mentioned as possible starters. What a difference!

Reactions: royboy and LionJim
Sometimes reading this board just makes me shake my head. From what we have seen in practice? What, 5 plays out of the 100s that will be run. Mahon and Nelson relegated to back-up status already? Reminds me of when some on this board last year said Bell should be a back-up when he returned from injury. The best players will play. Let them battle it out and the coaches figure it out.

If Mahon is healthy there is no question he will start. Presumably he will play guard. Remember, this kid has been a 3 year starter. Experience is very important on the o-line, Mahon has it, he will start.
Nelson will also start if healthy but, he reportedly had a serious injury so may not necessarily be 100% for the opener. Couple that with the emergence of Chaz Wright at RT and Nelson probably has to be at or close to 100% to beat out Chaz.

Sometimes reading this board just makes me shake my head. From what we have seen in practice? What, 5 plays out of the 100s that will be run. Mahon and Nelson relegated to back-up status already? Reminds me of when some on this board last year said Bell should be a back-up when he returned from injury. The best players will play. Let them battle it out and the coaches figure it out.
perhaps you would like to share brisket recipes as opposed to talking football?

Reminds me of my wife. She always says "Let me .....", when the reality is no one is stopping her, and I'm sure not going to stop her either.

We don't have to LET THEM battle it out. It's what's called Fall Practice......

But I agree that any judgments about the starting OL, the starter opposite Allen at Safety, the DE depth chart and rotation plan, the RB depth chart,.......... based on a few clips are absurd....

If you all haven't noticed, you'd do well to pay attention to CampbellLION. He's not speculating.
I have no axe to grind with Mahon. I think coaches do things for a reason and don't do things randomly From every clip I have seen, Bates looks like the starting LT. I have yet to see any clip with Mahon in it working with Bates
I could be wrong, I don't care if I am, whatever happens, we will have a good five

I have no axe to grind with Mahon. I think coaches do things for a reason and don't do things randomly From every clip I have seen, Bates looks like the starting LT. I have yet to see any clip with Mahon in it working with Bates
I could be wrong, I don't care if I am, whatever happens, we will have a good five
You missed the point.

I could be wrong, I don't care if I am, whatever happens, we will have a good five[/QUOTE

I don't think Bates at LT is a debate. Mahon is likely at OG. And if healthy I doubt will be beat out. Especially if true that Menet had Ben limited as mentioned above. It sounds like McGovern is locked at C as well. If Nelson is healthy I'd imagine he will be pushing a spot as well, not sure if it is G or T.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT