ADVERTISEMENT

4000 tix remain for Iowa game

Their fans apparently aren't too jazzed about PSU coming to town. Should be good for our guys.

I'd get the $95/ticket argument if the capacity was higher. As it is, they seem cheap. I'm willing to pay what I have to pay for scUM tickets for our crew. There have been years where I've sold tickets for huge profits and years when I got in for a song. It all evens out.

Bought a couple --- just made the decision to go. Going to be a long Friday evening/Saturday AM drive from Eastern Iowa from Colorado.

I'm surprised it was only 500 given that PSU has no real alumni presence in Iowa or adjacent states (IIRC).
Actually, I think Chicago has a fairly sizable alumni presence, and it's about a 3?4? hour drive to Iowa City?

Maybe the game being at night and not wanting to drive back the same day might have something to do with it. Just hazarding a guess.

Actually, I think Chicago has a fairly sizable alumni presence, and it's about a 3?4? hour drive to Iowa City?

Maybe the game being at night and not wanting to drive back the same day might have something to do with it. Just hazarding a guess.
There is only 5,583 alumni in all of Illinois and 777 total in Iowa. That not a ton when you are trying to sell 3,000 tickets.

So excited to shell out a few bucks for Iowa City's hospitality.
And there was much rejoicing in the halls of Old Main.

DesMoines Register story said $95 ticket price for Penn State was too much for the local market to bear. School official said they misjudged the demand.

I don't know the deal with Iowa but lack of physical attendance is becoming an issue nationwide. Is it that 55" HD TV's are so cheap? Maybe.

In CLE, if you go to a Cavs or Indians game, the ticket price is just the start. First, you typically need two or more so $100 becomes $200 or more. Then you have parking between $20 and $40.

Dinner? Hot dogs? Peanuts? Soft Drink?

For four people, with dinner and some snacks, you are easily over $500 and probably closer to $650. ($400 for tickets, $120 for dinner for 4, $30 for parking, $20/person for "stuff" is $80. Upsize dinner, drive separately, baby sitters and you can easily go over...don't get me started on hotel rooms).

I was a season ticket holder for the Cavs until I realized I can ski all weekend at a decent local resort for the weekend with what I am paying to see the Cavs.

Well then lower the price...put it on a groupon. Idiots
“I just can’t see people who piss away $95 sitting in a bar for a couple of hours say they don’t want to spend that much to actually go to a game.”
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa/football/2017/09/21/iowa-football-tickets-penn-state-kinnick-stadium-sold-out-penn-state-big-ten-conference/688928001/

From the article:"
"It’s a sign of the challenges facing major-college football programs throughout the country. The CBS Sports analysis found that attendance declined by nearly 1 percent in 2016, the sixth consecutive year it decreased. Average crowds were 43,106.
The underlying factor is fans that are finding it more convenient to watch games at home, where the TV options are plentiful, food and beverages are at their fingertips and worries about traffic into and out of the stadium aren't in the picture."

Add obnoxious fans, crowded restrooms, uncomfortable seats, and most of all, the high cost of attending, and watching at home increasingly makes sense for many. When I first gave up my 40 year run of season tickets I missed the excitement of attending in person, but that faded quickly when I realized I was saving $2,000 per home game (NLC donation, 4 seats, hotel, meals, travel expenses). Still, that is my choice. Others obviously feel differently and I wish them safe travels, good weather, and many victories.

Disappointing.

I just looked at available tickets at hawkeyesports.com, and it is looking more like 4k are still available, not 2k. Check the upper corners of the end zones, lots available.

I don't know the deal with Iowa but lack of physical attendance is becoming an issue nationwide. Is it that 55" HD TV's are so cheap? Maybe.

In CLE, if you go to a Cavs or Indians game, the ticket price is just the start. First, you typically need two or more so $100 becomes $200 or more. Then you have parking between $20 and $40.

Dinner? Hot dogs? Peanuts? Soft Drink?

For four people, with dinner and some snacks, you are easily over $500 and probably closer to $650. ($400 for tickets, $120 for dinner for 4, $30 for parking, $20/person for "stuff" is $80. Upsize dinner, drive separately, baby sitters and you can easily go over...don't get me started on hotel rooms).

I was a season ticket holder for the Cavs until I realized I can ski all weekend at a decent local resort for the weekend with what I am paying to see the Cavs.
Right on target. Ticket prices (plus travel, parking fees, stadium concessions, etc. not to mention lodging) are generating a fan backlash .....and business opportunities

I read an article about a couple alums of Florida State, if I remember right, who started a game day service for fans on home games a few years ago which for a *fee* provided:

> Complimentary snacks (peanuts, chips, etc.) and beverages at a large, reserved, off-site room with a huge high def TV starting 2 hours before the game;

> Optional free bus ride to a tailgate location near the stadium during pre-game with snacks and beverages, including beer/wine cooler,etc, for approximately an hour prior to the game;

> Bus ride back to reserved room for a buffet lunch starting about 1/2 hour before the game; and

> beverages and snacks available throughout the game broadcast.

The alums said that after a moderate initial response, more and more people were opting for the service in lieu of attending the game, particularly older fans. They could get the game day experience at the tailgate, go back and get stuffed with a well stocked buffet, all the while watching the game with fellow FSU fans and drinking to their hearts content.

*about $100pp IIRC, probably more now.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT