ADVERTISEMENT

3 4 Timers

My niece swam at Alabama, lost her A ring in England, took her over 2 years to have Alabama 'allow' her to get it replaced. The NCAA being the NCAA.

This post really tripped me up. "lost her A ring" sounds like a euphemism, ala "lost her v-card."

Really glad for the rest of the context that allowed me to, eventually, catch up & follow along...

I'm married to a Tri-Delt and had a front-row seat for that cluster-f. The national had been unhappy for years about the focus on THON at the expense of their national charity (oddly enough, St. Judes). When the opportunity arose - a minor transgression that had been going on since the '70's - they shut it down. Although technically there wasn't anything to shut down because the sisters all quit first. FWIW I agree with the best-looking comment. :)
Living in South Halls I remember Tri-Delts....lookers. Fond memories.

South Hall sound off! I worked in Redifer dinning hall too. Loved seeing the Tri Delts, went on a date with one after we both graduated!

Exactly.

As an aside, many think it’s a good idea to relax rules for paying players for their signatures, etc. How would you police what the “going rate” would be. Imagine an Alabama booster paying their QB 20k for a signed football.

Bama and others will start telling recruits they can get them $500 for signing bar napkins. Hence the reason it is almost impossible to regulate. Pay a kid for an autograph on a football, that's one thing. But turn it into recruiting incentives for a kid yet to play a down and it's a whole other thing. It's why "illogical" NCAA rules actually have lots of logic. Because someone will push the envelope and turn it into something more. Always

I know cabs still exist, but, despite a late start, I only uber now. They are awesome in NYC, you know in advance how much it will cost.

Plus I was trying to be funny, which your smiley showed you got!

Just used Uber for the first time two days ago in Key West. Took a "taxi cab" to our destination, $21 (plus tip) and thought that was a bit steep for the travel time, even for the ridiculously expensive Florida Keys. My daughter suggested Uber for the return trip and we used her account. Had the price (flat $15) and estimated time of pickup prior to request. Their technology is pretty awesome, our location was sent to him via her phone and we could track drivers location on a moving map. I'll never use a "taxi cab" again.

Just used Uber for the first time two days ago in Key West. Took a "taxi cab" to our destination, $21 (plus tip) and thought that was a bit steep for the travel time, even for the ridiculously expensive Florida Keys. My daughter suggested Uber for the return trip and we used her account. Had the price (flat $15) and estimated time of pickup prior to request. Their technology is pretty awesome, our location was sent to him via her phone and we could track drivers location on a moving map. I'll never use a "taxi cab" again.
My wife and I went to Washington D.C. for the first time last summer. Uber (and the public transit bikes) was/were a lifeline in that city, which seems impossible to travel by car in.

My wife and I went to Washington D.C. for the first time last summer. Uber (and the public transit bikes) was/were a lifeline in that city, which seems impossible to travel by car in.

I've lived in the DC area for the last 47 years and it's not impossible, but it is a challenge. Turned me into a morning person many years ago as a way to avoid the worst traffic.

Reactions: jtothemfp
I've lived in the DC area for the last 47 years and it's not impossible, but it is a challenge. Turned me into a morning person many years ago as a way to avoid the worst traffic.
It was impossible for a dumb Iowa boy who sees minimal congestion, and I won't even touch the narrow side streets where homes are, which are death defying trips!

Reactions: burnsie1983
It was impossible for a dumb Iowa boy who sees minimal congestion, and I won't even touch the narrow side streets where homes are, which are death defying trips!
If you want to see death defying driving in DC, go there in the winter. Any snow at all -- including snow that melts upon contact and doesn't accumulate -- and the entire District turns into an amusement park bumper car ride.

If you want to see death defying driving in DC, go there in the winter. Any snow at all -- including snow that melts upon contact and doesn't accumulate -- and the entire District turns into an amusement park bumper car ride.
LOL! I like the "amusement park bumper car ride" description.

Now, with that said, two things surprise me about this. One, I always thought that D.C. was a somewhat "snowy" area, but evidently not. Second (and a possible pee off moment for some of you), as one who has lived 51 and a half of his 53 years in Minnesota and Iowa it is BEYOND ME how driving in snow is difficult for people! Does it not compute that snow is a slippery substance and that just backing off of one's speed will solve 99% of any driving problems in snow?

I've always tried to explain to people who are new to this area that you drive like you walk on snow: don't walk too fast and stay light on your feet.

Oh well...

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Roads filled with idiots driving 4x4 SUVs that think such a feature prevents sliding. Too many people that think they can still drive the standard 10-15 over the limit. Just as Ban B-ball thought

Reactions: Ban Basketball
Just was in Charleston, Sc for a friday evening wedding. Stayed 8miles from the venue and got a flat $20 Uber fare. What I thought was 20 turned into 80 cause they charged 4x the fare cause it was during rush hour traffic.

Now, with that said, two things surprise me about this. One, I always thought that D.C. was a somewhat "snowy" area, but evidently not. Second (and a possible pee off moment for some of you), as one who has lived 51 and a half of his 53 years in Minnesota and Iowa it is BEYOND ME how driving in snow is difficult for people! Does it not compute that snow is a slippery substance and that just backing off of one's speed will solve 99% of any driving problems in snow?

I've always tried to explain to people who are new to this area that you drive like you walk on snow: don't walk too fast and stay light on your feet.

Oh well...
DC and Philly are similar that way. Both get snow but not as much as one would think -- both cities are too far southeast to get any lake effect. Here in Philly we typically get 2 storms in the 5-9 inch range per year, a few 2-3 inches, and maybe a few dustings. DC is typically a few degrees warmer, so they get a little less.

However, we will get a 2-footer every couple years just so we don't forget what big snow looks like.

Also, both cities are close enough to the coastline to get an occasional winter hurricane. Those are fun, just like the summer variety but 70 deg colder, some of the rain becomes sleet and ice, and the pavement is frozen.

Regarding the driving: the less snow you're used to, the worse you are at driving in it. DC doesn't get a ton, plus many DC residents are from somewhere else.

Snowstorms are a hilarious DC-ism: all "non-essential" employees are ordered to go home and stay off the roads, then they all call for pizza delivery.

Reactions: Ban Basketball
Roads filled with idiots driving 4x4 SUVs that think such a feature prevents sliding. Too many people that think they can still drive the standard 10-15 over the limit. Just as Ban B-ball thought
Ah, yes, the 4x4 that will drive in ice! I should have thought of that, we have the same problem here among Iowans as well.

As my Dad used to say, "all that means is that you now have four tires spinning, instead of two."

"all that means is that you now have four tires spinning, instead of two."

A common PA term as well.

Reactions: dbldoofus

Oh well...
If you expect most people to be smart you will fairly regularly experience disappointment..

Rome and Naples are death defying in sunny weather. I'd hate to see it if it ever snowed there.

In fairness, though, I guess we can say that "smart" depends on where you live when it comes to snow, ice, and 4x4 capability.
No. I live in central PA and it has been known to snow some around here. Despite most central PA drivers having vast amounts of snow driving experience, many still do not do it well.

You have the goofs who in the middle of a storm still drive 70.

My favorites are the folks who are terrified of winter driving, yet if it is snowing out they absolutely must right at this moment drive very slowly to Wal Mart.

Most of the folks driving through a snow storm live somewhere nearby and have loads of experience, yet do not go about it very intelligently.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
My favorites are the folks who are terrified of winter driving, yet if it is snowing out they absolutely must right at this moment drive very slowly to Wal Mart.
In a related way, one of my 3,007 pet peeves is when school is cancelled due to snow days and the stores are full of...school aged kids!

Have lived in DC for 30 years after growing up in PA. The best part of snow down here is that half the drivers stay at home and the other half are in the ditch. It's usually clear sailing ...

Yep, especially with so many people able to work from home when it snows an inch or two it's actually easy to get around. However, when you hear it is snowing in Atlanta we are in for a foot or more and that means a few days at home as it takes them forever to get the roads cleared.

I think the bigger problem with driving in snow/ice is that people use their brakes too much (which may be connected to driving too fast, but not necessarily). Slam on your breaks on that stuff and it's "look out!"

The last time I went to NJ States in Atlantic City was 1993. The day we came back was a huge snow storm (I want to say March 13). The 120 mile trip took about 6 hours. A good portion of the time I drove behind snow plows on the Parkway because conditions were so bad. There were lots of people in 4 wheel drive vehicles passing us. Of course, we got to see them stranded in the median area not too much later.

Reactions: nerfstate
I think the bigger problem with driving in snow/ice is that people use their brakes too much (which may be connected to driving too fast, but not necessarily). Slam on your breaks on that stuff and it's "look out!"

The last time I went to NJ States in Atlantic City was 1993. The day we came back was a huge snow storm (I want to say March 13). The 120 mile trip took about 6 hours. A good portion of the time I drove behind snow plows on the Parkway because conditions were so bad. There were lots of people in 4 wheel drive vehicles passing us. Of course, we got to see them stranded in the median area not too much later.
Yeah, people don’t know how to use their transmission to regulate their speed. March 13 is my birthday—could you be referring to the blizzard of ‘93? That storm was epic, though ‘94 was a record year for snowfall in Centre County.

Yeah, people don’t know how to use their transmission to regulate their speed. March 13 is my birthday—could you be referring to the blizzard of ‘93? That storm was epic, though ‘94 was a record year for snowfall in Centre County.

Yes. 1993. One of my nephews was born that day and (obviously) shares your birthday.

Yes. 1993. One of my nephews was born that day and (obviously) shares your birthday.
3/13/1993 was the last Saturday of PSU spring break, and the University stayed closed for at least 2 more days--I think 3. I spent the long weekend at the Tussey Mountain ski lodge--got to ride the snow cat to the top after the storm, where there was no joke at 20' drift. It was crazy.

3/13/1993 was the last Saturday of PSU spring break, and the University stayed closed for at least 2 more days--I think 3. I spent the long weekend at the Tussey Mountain ski lodge--got to ride the snow cat to the top after the storm, where there was no joke at 20' drift. It was crazy.

Six hours after leaving AC, I made the turn up the hill to my driveway - and couldn't make it up the last 25'. By that point, I said "f it. Close enough.".

We spent that day outside the Apartment Store office with a large cooler -- used it to form giant snow bricks for a wall blocking their office door.

I’m from Northwestern PA and now live in Maryland. My favorite is when the previous 3 or 4 days have been in low 50’s, obviously the ground and roads are not frozen and we get a dusting, that only sticks on the grass. However the road is wet and you have people driving on back roads going 15 to 20 MPH, scared to death they are driving on black ice. My dad taught me long ago, if you are unsure of the condition of the road surface, on a straight stretch with no other vehicles around, apply the brakes firmly to determine what you are dealing with, they must not teach this in MD.
Not sure I'd EVER recommend hitting the brakes to test the road conditions; yikes!

What we always did in Minnesota on a straight, flat surface-obviously, I've carried it over into Iowa-was to hit the gas quickly. If you spin, it's slick. The nice thing is is that your car will not go out of control by doing that. Braking WILL make you skid out of control.

Reactions: matter7172
So, I had what I feel could be a rarity yesterday afternoon.......... I drive Uber a couple of days a week and get a pick up at South halls on campus. The name pops up as Gavin. I think as I am driving to the pick up address,"nah, won't be him ?". Well, it was Teasdale, RBY, and Teske heading to Rec Hall for their 1st practice as PSU students.(Summer classes start today). How cool was that ?!!!! Having to meet 1 4 Timer is fantastic but, 3 of them all at once ? Plus, they were "trapped" in my car. These guys were talkative,polite,and just nice guys to talk with. They were excited to be on campus "officially" and were asking all kinds of questions and I was very happy I was able to answer them. I told them.........PSU wrestlers ride for free with me and I don't think they believed me ? their fare was happily refunded. Needless to say, the rest of my day was great !!

So, does this put an end to the RBY transfer rumors? ;)

Not sure I'd EVER recommend hitting the brakes to test the road conditions; yikes!

What we always did in Minnesota on a straight, flat surface-obviously, I've carried it over into Iowa-was to hit the gas quickly. If you spin, it's slick. The nice thing is is that your car will not go out of control by doing that. Braking WILL make you skid out of control.
I’d rather find out what I’m dealing with my way, than being surprised as I approach a stop light.

Reactions: Dogwelder
No. I live in central PA and it has been known to snow some around here. Despite most central PA drivers having vast amounts of snow driving experience, many still do not do it well.

You have the goofs who in the middle of a storm still drive 70.

Most of the folks driving through a snow storm live somewhere nearby and have loads of experience, yet do not go about it very intelligently.
Last year we had a storm in NW Montgomery County PA. Wasn't too bad yet, I was in my 2012 Tacoma 4x4 w/all terrain tires. It is a beast in the snow.
Well, I stopped at a Redner's quik stop to get gas....
Some poor (stupid) girl had driven a car (that was not hers and I don't think she had a valid license ) to Redner's because she needed smokes...and crashed into the small yellow painted concrete thing. For Cigarettes. In a storm. With a car that wasn't hers.

Glad I am not addicted like that.

Reactions: nitlion6
Last year we had a storm in NW Montgomery County PA. Wasn't too bad yet, I was in my 2012 Tacoma 4x4 w/all terrain tires. It is a beast in the snow.
Some poor (stupid) girl had driven a car (that was not hers and I don't think she had a valid license ) to Redner's because she needed smokes...and crashed into the small yellow painted concrete thing. For Cigarettes. In a storm. With a car that wasn't hers.

I smoked for 25 years of my life (yes, as an athlete as well), but quit August 13, 2004. As one who was also that addicted, yes, I would have been that guy(gal) as well. I made more brave smoke runs than that.

Must have been my sister.
Just kidding.

My sister (mid 80s) did take my "parked for the winter" 76 Trans Am from the garage at the beginning of a snow storm to run down town for smokes and beer. She skidded, ran it up over a concrete filled pipe, shredded the undercarriage and on the way back to the house blew the engine.

It took a while for me to calm down.

Reactions: Gebmo and jtothemfp
An addition to my comment above. My biggest regret as a smoker? I had a 1930's $5 bill that looked significantly different from the ones that we see today. I needed smokes, had no money, and I'll let you guess the rest. :mad:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT