ADVERTISEMENT

25 best beers of 2016

It used to be a 3 pint limit. I guess 2 shortens the line. 3 was a lot of alcohol too!

If you can find out any intel in the best days and times, let us know!

If you are talking about their brewpub in Santa Rosa they don't limit you on pints of Pliny.

I was there in July and got there right when they opened. They had no line but it got jam packed very quickly...

I had a few pints of Pliny and took 12 bottles to go (they do limit you on the to go bottles).

Never had the Younger but fresh Elder is amazing.

If you are talking about their brewpub in Santa Rosa they don't limit you on pints of Pliny.

I was there in July and got there right when they opened. They had no line but it got jam packed very quickly...

I had a few pints of Pliny and took 12 bottles to go (they do limit you on the to go bottles).

Never had the Younger but fresh Elder is amazing.

We are talking about Younger, not Elder. They limit you and there is a line.

I didn't say IPAs are the only beer with taste. Notice you don't list lagers/pils in your post? I think we are on the same page.

Of course popularity is a poor measure of quality. Think how popular budwieser and Miller lite are!
First, it wasn't Nitt1300's post, it was mine. And this list was not my opinion, just a reprint from Philly.com which got me interested in trying a few on the list. Thanks for all the good feedback and recommendations.
As far as popularity being a measure of quality- it's really just a measure of price. Many beer drinkers just drink watery or tasteless brews for the alcohol. Or because they really don't like the taste of beer and want something non offensive to their palettes. The same is true with liquor - vodka has become the most popular spirit. A good vodka is basically tasteless, but that's what the kids like. When you grow up your tastes change and you begin to appreciate more complexity in flavor. I'm basically a Guinness drinker who also enjoys single barrel bourbons, Irish whisky, and some Scotches. Nothing like a good Manhattan or Old Fashioned in the winter or a G&T or Tom Collins for a summer cooler after the beach. But these are all opinions and everyone should just drink whatever they like.

pandaczar12,

I spoke with my buddies from California and they gave me some background on their Pliny adventure last year. They recommend going early to mid week and go in the middle of the Pliny release. It gets extremely crowded on weekends (as you pointed out) as well as the beginning and end of the 2-3 week release period.

They said that their wait last year was 3hrs. They were in line at 7:00AM. Apparently the brewery issues wrist bands to everyone in line. They allow you in the brewery for 3hrs or 3 pints of Pliny. For this reason you will see the doormen call for singles every once in a while. So, if you are by yourself you may not have to wait in line as long.

Also, my buddies liked Pliny but they had some other beers on the slate that they enjoyed more "Blind Pig" was the one they mentioned.

I hope this helps. Happy beer hunting!

Thanks for the reply!

I love blind pig, I prefer it to Pliny the elder... but Younger is one of my all time favorite beers. They also have a beer called "happy hops" that is only available at the brewpub that I prefer to elder.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
First, it wasn't Nitt1300's post, it was mine. And this list was not my opinion, just a reprint from Philly.com which got me interested in trying a few on the list. Thanks for all the good feedback and recommendations.
As far as popularity being a measure of quality- it's really just a measure of price. Many beer drinkers just drink watery or tasteless brews for the alcohol. Or because they really don't like the taste of beer and want something non offensive to their palettes. The same is true with liquor - vodka has become the most popular spirit. A good vodka is basically tasteless, but that's what the kids like. When you grow up your tastes change and you begin to appreciate more complexity in flavor. I'm basically a Guinness drinker who also enjoys single barrel bourbons, Irish whisky, and some Scotches. Nothing like a good Manhattan or Old Fashioned in the winter or a G&T or Tom Collins for a summer cooler after the beach. But these are all opinions and everyone should just drink whatever they like.

Exactly!

Loved a past article which stated that drinking IPA beers contributes to the growth of man boobs!

Enjoy fella's!!!

LOL!!!

They left off 1A. IC Light. Pgh Brewing takes Iron City and cuts it with a fragrant blend of jumbo and Monongahela River water. Pure magic in a bottle.

Regarding the #1 - Born Yesterday. It was REALLY good this year (well, technically last year), but it is unfortunately probably not on many shelves any longer.
Really great beer that was widely available for a few weeks at $12-13 a six pack.
I did see a few six packs lingering on shelves in Michigan just before Christmas.

Reactions: jjsocrates
There's more to beer than hops and IPAs. And I'm not talking about Miller Lite and Bud. Saisons, sours, Krieks, guezes, Trappists, Dopplebocks etc. I'm just not a fan of IPAs.

True dat! I love Trappists, Belgian Triples, Bavarian wheats, Bocks & Dopplebocks

About a year ago I was doing some work in LA and I found this cool little brewery in Torrance, CA

http://www.monkishbrewing.com/

They specialize in Belgian styles. Every evening they had a happy hour on the brewing floor, they sold brick oven pizza and would show Euro soccer on TV's. I had a great time.

I'm too old now, but If I were a young guy just out off college, I would get into the brewing biz. I love the brewing culture that is going on in the US these days.
Monkish is killing it with IPA's now too!

Reactions: elvis63
Really good list. I've had about 15 of these. The only complaint is that the list is HEAVY on local (philly) beers, but that's probably based on what the author was able to get his hands on.

True dat! I love Trappists, Belgian Triples, Bavarian wheats, Bocks & Dopplebocks

About a year ago I was doing some work in LA and I found this cool little brewery in Torrance, CA

http://www.monkishbrewing.com/

They specialize in Belgian styles. Every evening they had a happy hour on the brewing floor, they sold brick oven pizza and would show Euro soccer on TV's. I had a great time.

I'm too old now, but If I were a young guy just out off college, I would get into the brewing biz. I love the brewing culture that is going on in the US these days.
Yep, and that sounds like a great place.
I got a case of Aventinus last August. Still have some in the basement. Among others.

I like most beers and shift around according to what I feel like drinking then. Winter might be heavier stout or ale time. Saison Dupont is year round for me fwiw. I love German styles etc. It all depends what's available and my mood.

Best beers of 2016 1. Beer bought for me after winning a golf bet 2. Free beer. 3. Saison Dupont( new to me in 2016)

Reactions: elvis63
That's quite an impressive list of beers, heavily leaning towards the high alcohol side. Nothing wrong with that.

I can understand some people's aversion to heavily hopped beers. I do really enjoy them on occasion. If you want to be social, and drink many beers, you probably should drink a lighter variety though. Something mild in taste.

I certainly would like to try some of those on the list though. I never realized that you could get up to 14-16% on a beer. I always thought that 11-12% was about the max. I've had some barley wines (high alcohol beers) that were in the 11-12 range. They're fun every once in a while, because they have such a kick to them.

That's quite an impressive list of beers, heavily leaning towards the high alcohol side. Nothing wrong with that.

I can understand some people's aversion to heavily hopped beers. I do really enjoy them on occasion. If you want to be social, and drink many beers, you probably should drink a lighter variety though. Something mild in taste.

I certainly would like to try some of those on the list though. I never realized that you could get up to 14-16% on a beer. I always thought that 11-12% was about the max. I've had some barley wines (high alcohol beers) that were in the 11-12 range. They're fun every once in a while, because they have such a kick to them.

Dogfish Head churns out beers in the 18-20% range. 120 minute IPA, world wide stout, higher math, plus random brewpub exclusives.

:) There is a beer that hammers me every time and I can't completely figure it out. "Trois Pistoles" it's a quad and I know it has a higher ABV but I swear every time I drink 2 it's "nighty night time" and I wake up in a fog, like after my colonoscopy. "what the hell just happened?"
Now that's something I need to try. Sounds great. lol

I hate lists like this. Just looking it up quickly, there are 2768 craft breweries in the United States. This article should be titled "25 Beers that I like".

Reactions: Nitt1300
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT