ADVERTISEMENT

I hope it happens, but the private/ Catholic schools will probably contest it in court and at the minimum draw it out for years.

Then the two champions will argue over who is better. Then they’ll play an extra game. Blah, blah. Is it that important?

State legislature: We have time to legislate over state high school playoffs, but can't do squat about the governance of our multi-billion dollar, state chartered, flagship university. We have our priorities.

Oh, there's more than enough time. Just zero political will. Big difference.

Reactions: 4INSBU
I thought state Play off’s work to determine which is the best team in the state. If the Protestants, Catholics, Muslims or Jews want to determine which is the best of their schools, let them

There are other denominations as an earlier post mentioned. I know Lancaster Mennonite is a powerhouse soccer program. They play in public leagues. Is it up to the school to elect which division to participate? Sorry, I did not fully digest the article.

I'll go through this again using basketball as the example. My children attended Catholic School through 8th grade. Our Parish participated in CYO, that stands for Catholic Youth Organization.

Every January through February our Parish CYO would hold a series of BB training classes ever Saturday which would last about 3.5 hours. The classes were for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders within the Parish, not just the school. About 125 students would attend these classes, of which about 5 students attended public school. The remaining 120 students attended the Parish school, which averaged about 50 students per grade so out of 150 potential students in the grades only 30 did not attend.

Starting in 4th grade our Parish would field the following (sometimes more teams, sometimes less, but this is about average). Also, they now allow 3rd graders to play on the Rec teams if they pass a tryout.

Rec - 4th and 5th grades, containing 3 boys and 3 girls teams.
Semi Competitive - 5th and 6th grades, 2 boys and 2 girls teams
JV Competitive - 5th and 6th grades, 1 boys and 1 girls team.
Semi Competitive - 7th and 8th grades, 3 boys and 2 girls team
V Competitive - 7th and 8th grades, 1 boys and 1 girls team.

Non starters on the Varsity 7th and 8th grade teams would also play on the Semi Competitive.

My son played in 78 games in 7th grade in one season. As a comparison, the public school also ran a Middle school program and they played in about 16 games total.

It's much more about development than it is about recruiting.
Ok. Most of the starters on this public school team also play that many games in AAU almost year round since they were 5th graders. The team they are up against has kids from all over DMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDale83
I will also throw out an example. A certain private school near PSU recently started up a wrestling program. They pulled in kids from Central Mountain, Bellefonte and State College as well as kids from out of the area and out of state. This team competes against AA schools like West Branch and Huntingdon which have boundaries, even though the private school now has kids from much larger AAA wrestling schools in their program. Both of the boundary schools have wrestling traditions and put in a lot of practice time and have youth programs to put together competitive squads, similar to the clinics privates hold.

I don't doubt that the private school clinics help tremendously, but so does plucking great wrestlers from out of and around the region. To be clear, I'm not saying all privates do this, but some certainly do.

Privates competing against small boundary schools would be like playing Texas hold'em against a guy that gets to pick 2 aces out of the deck before the cards are dealt.

My son played in 78 games in 7th grade in one season. As a comparison, the public school also ran a Middle school program and they played in about 16 games total.

78 games in one season? Holy crap, CYO ball has changed a ton in the 25 years since I played and coached in it. We only played 25-27 max and Harrisburg is a pretty big parish league.

Reactions: psu1969a
I'll go through this again using basketball as the example. My children attended Catholic School through 8th grade. Our Parish participated in CYO, that stands for Catholic Youth Organization.

Every January through February our Parish CYO would hold a series of BB training classes ever Saturday which would last about 3.5 hours. The classes were for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders within the Parish, not just the school. About 125 students would attend these classes, of which about 5 students attended public school. The remaining 120 students attended the Parish school, which averaged about 50 students per grade so out of 150 potential students in the grades only 30 did not attend.

Starting in 4th grade our Parish would field the following (sometimes more teams, sometimes less, but this is about average). Also, they now allow 3rd graders to play on the Rec teams if they pass a tryout.

Rec - 4th and 5th grades, containing 3 boys and 3 girls teams.
Semi Competitive - 5th and 6th grades, 2 boys and 2 girls teams
JV Competitive - 5th and 6th grades, 1 boys and 1 girls team.
Semi Competitive - 7th and 8th grades, 3 boys and 2 girls team
V Competitive - 7th and 8th grades, 1 boys and 1 girls team.

Non starters on the Varsity 7th and 8th grade teams would also play on the Semi Competitive.

Except that the Catholic high schools in Pittsburgh have lots of players who didn't go to Catholic grade school at all. A lot of them aren't even Catholic. They just happen to be really good players.

Reactions: Ski and PearlSUJam
We should just make 10 classifications too for all the public schools so they can get a trophy. It’s so watered down here in western PA, with 6 classes, it’s a joke. But the mellanials need a trophy so let’s make 10 classes and have separate championships .

Remember, our Parish put the Competitive 7th/8th grade non-starters on a semi competitive in addition to the competitive team. We also took our teams to many tournaments, so of which they won maximizing the number of games played.

Harrisburg? Which Parish?

Holy Name. Even 68 is pretty crazy no matter what the level. Our 25-27 games consisted of league games and then usually 3 different tournaments (preseason, midseason, postseason). I was one of the few who attended public school and I think about 95% of the kids I helped coach were parochial school as well. At least when I was there, the setup was better for the kids at a lot of the CYO schools than in the various township rec programs. Though, it never really translated up to McDevitt when the kids got to HS.

Catholic Parochial Schools (Pre-K through 8th grade) do not have teams. Their students participate in CYO which are Parish Teams not school teams. Catholic High Schools have school teams.

In Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, the Catholic grade schools all have established leagues and teams. And yet, the powers like Central Catholic have kids that are not Catholic, and didn't go to Catholic grade schools. I would take an educated guess that a very large percentage of those kids (not Catholic grade school, not Catholic) conveniently turn out to be very good athletes. And that is just wrong.

Reactions: Omar81
Catholic Parochial Schools (Pre-K through 8th grade) do not have teams. Their students participate in CYO which are Parish Teams not school teams. Catholic High Schools have school teams.
Does the child need to be a member of the parish to play on a team?

For those that complain about imbalance in PA between private and public, would you feel differently if there were no such things as "boundary schools"? And PA public schools could accept tuition paying students who were non-residents?

No they don't. They all play CYO, which is sponsored by the Parish not the school. One main reasons for the Parish affiliation is to not alienate Parishioners who send their children to public school.

Here is a link to the Philadelphia CYO website.
http://www.region11cyo.org/
You do know that it's a dirty little secret that when some of these great athletes can't afford tuition they are given scholarships, right? These scholarships aren't available to just anyone.

Reactions: harjeff and bison13
That's not the case, so why don't you come out say what you want to say. I'll say this-If you can't see the difference between a team of kids who grew up playing all sports together since 1st grade vs. a team of kids that get introduced to each other at the start of the season, then I don't know what to say. They're not the same.

Actually that is exactly the case. The term "boundary school" is a political fabrication. Any school district in PA can accept non-resident tuition students. Specifically outlined in Section 13-1316 of the Public School Code. There are no "boundary schools" but we keep hearing about it. Wonder why?

I think your confusion is that the parochial schools all take the name of the parish which sponsors them and therefore the name of the team is the same as the parish which is the same as the school. Follow that?

As long as the only kids who participate on the teams for each parish are also kids who attend the parish school, what exactly is the difference? None of the kids on these teams attend the public schools.

Do public school kids play on these teams in Philly? In Pittsburgh, they don't.

This is not true. The teams are Parish teams, not school teams. CYO basketball is open to all members of the parish regardless of the school they attend.

You do realize that I've been talking about parochial schools, up to 8th grade? Perhaps you are confusing Catholic High School teams?
We've all been talking about high school teams, and this is what the legislation is about.

Actually that is exactly the case. The term "boundary school" is a political fabrication. Any school district in PA can accept non-resident tuition students. Specifically outlined in Section 13-1316 of the Public School Code. There are no "boundary schools" but we keep hearing about it. Wonder why?

Because no one wants to pay to have their kid attend a small rural single A school a few districts over? Because people pay to send their kids to private schools? If it's already in place and there is still a massive imbalance, why do you want it to stay status quo?

This is not true. The teams are Parish teams, not school teams. CYO basketball is open to all members of the parish regardless of the school they attend.

You do realize that I've been talking about parochial schools, up to 8th grade? Perhaps you are confusing Catholic High School teams?

Edit: If a Parish is not sponsoring a team the member students are allowed to play on another Parish team.

I am talking about the Catholic grade school I attended. Every athlete on every team went to the parish school. That was some time ago, admittedly.

In my current parish, there is a shared school among 3 neighboring parishes. Every kid on every team attends the school.

No public school kids are involved. They play typically in leagues that are centered around either the local municipalities or within their school district. These teams do not play against the Catholic school teams.

If they want, these public school kids can attend a Catholic high school, which in the Pittsburgh diocese have no regional boundaries. Any kid can attend any Catholic high school. They don't have to be Catholic.

Except that the Catholic high schools in Pittsburgh have lots of players who didn't go to Catholic grade school at all. A lot of them aren't even Catholic. They just happen to be really good players.

I was working the table at a boys high school varsity tournament. It was a catholic school vs a public school. A player on the catholic team yells “*uck” as he gets his 4th foul and gets replaced by a sub. I say to the book keeper from their team “that’s not very catholic of him” and she says back “oh it’s alright, he isn’t actually catholic.” That team is still alive in the piaa playoffs.

I've said this many times on these boards - public schools recruit every bit as much as privates. Let's take a real quick look at Harrisburg High, one of the worst schools in the state with one of the top football programs. Micha Parsons, PSU recruit, transferred to Hbg from Central Dauphin; Andre White, Texas A&M recruit, transferred to Hbg from Susquehanna Twp; Kane Everson, William and Mary recruit, transferred from Central Dauphin East. You think those kids transferred for the nice neighborhoods and great education?
If these esteemed legislators want to get involved in HS athletics, why not first clean up the public-public transfers? The answer is simple, because they aren't really concerned about recruiting and competition, they are upset they cannot beat Archbishop Wood, St. Joe's and others. In central PA there are two Catholic schools, McDevitt and Trinity; do you want them to play each other 10 times a year? Is that fair to those kids? By the way, this past year McD had around 35 kids on the varsity team. Are some non-Catholic who may have been "recruited"? Sure. Just as Hbg HS had players in their school who were recruited.

We should just make 10 classifications too for all the public schools so they can get a trophy. It’s so watered down here in western PA, with 6 classes, it’s a joke. But the mellanials need a trophy so let’s make 10 classes and have separate championships .

Is a mellanial like a fake trophy wife bride? Millennials have nothing to do with this, this would be your old ass generation making the rules. Millennials are 22 years old at the youngest. They don’t care about this as recent college grads and they don’t have kids old enough to be affected. You played yourself.

Probably because paying tuition to attend a different public school is rare. Recruitment of entire rosters (like Trinity) is common. You don't see a difference?

Your uninformed and completely wrong reference to Trinity tells me all I need to know. But I digress.

Public schools can accept any non resident students that they want. That means there are no such things as boundary schools. That was and is my point. The fact that kids don’t want to transfer and pay tuition to West Branch or Line Mountain doesn’t change the fact that those schools can accept non resident students just like a private school can. No school, including privates, can recruit for athletic purposes. Does it happen? Of course it does.

Now if you want to know the real problem, it’s the charter school system in Philadelphia.

I've said this many times on these boards - public schools recruit every bit as much as privates. Let's take a real quick look at Harrisburg High, one of the worst schools in the state with one of the top football programs. Micha Parsons, PSU recruit, transferred to Hbg from Central Dauphin; Andre White, Texas A&M recruit, transferred to Hbg from Susquehanna Twp; Kane Everson, William and Mary recruit, transferred from Central Dauphin East. You think those kids transferred for the nice neighborhoods and great education?
If these esteemed legislators want to get involved in HS athletics, why not first clean up the public-public transfers? The answer is simple, because they aren't really concerned about recruiting and competition, they are upset they cannot beat Archbishop Wood, St. Joe's and others. In central PA there are two Catholic schools, McDevitt and Trinity; do you want them to play each other 10 times a year? Is that fair to those kids? By the way, this past year McD had around 35 kids on the varsity team. Are some non-Catholic who may have been "recruited"? Sure. Just as Hbg HS had players in their school who were recruited.

Bishop guilfoyle, st joes (in boalsburg) are several others. St joes plays in a league of 6 other private schools from central pa.

It's not the kids who need the trophy, but their parents.

If the dilemma faced by the PIAA is anything similar to that in NYSPHSAA separating public schools from non-publics will be a tall order. The problem lies in the fact that the non-publics (including Catholic Schools) are member schools. As such, to provide separate leagues or playoffs can only be achieved if they can prove that the non-publics will not suffer any adverse impact (like increased travel and expense etc.) I am assuming that could be why it is being taken up by the legislature. My guess is that in any event, legislation will be tied up in law suits for many years.
Here in NY we have had some success with a major change in our transfer rule. An athlete who transfers from one school to another (grades 9-12) without a corresponding change in address of the parents (in other words moving into the district) is ineligible to compete in any sport he/she played the previous year(for a period of one year). As a result, non-publics are not enticing high school students into their programs. The rule of course does not impact student/athletes that move into private school before entering high school. Its not perfect, but it has limited the transfer/recruiting of high school athletes to private schools.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT