ADVERTISEMENT

2024 defense.

Nice, but we rotate so much that depth is incredibly important.
Yep, and the defense should have plenty of depth:

DE: Vanover/Smith-Vilbert/Robinson/Harvey
DE: Dennis-Sutton/Fisher/Lyons
DT: Durant/Beamon/Ford/Blanding
DT: Ellies/Izzard/VanDenBerg/Artis
LB-Mike: King/Robinson
LB-Will: Carter/Wylie
LB-Sam: Rojas/DeLuka
CB: Kimber/Miller/Tracey
CB: Harris/Washington/Mitchell
SS: Winston/Nelson/Toure
FS: Reed/Wheatley/Lane
NB: Mack/Tracey?

But it will be interesting to see how things shake out this Spring as I believe I heard that right now there project to be 96 players on scholarship this summer with the limit of 85 at WVU kickoff......

DE: Smith-Vilbert
DE: Dennis-Sutton
DT: Beamon
DT: Ellies
LB: King
LB: Carter
LB: Rojas
CB: Kimber
CB: Harris
SS: Winston
FS: Reed
NB: Mack

Woah. Lookout.
That doesn't sound as good as this past year's defense but not horrible.

Sutton should be good but it's tough to replace both Chop & Isaac at DE.

King, Hardy, and Dixon are big losses at DB. I hope Harris lives up to his billing (95 rating).

LB s/b as good or better. I'm not sure about DT. I'm curious if Ford will be healthy and make an impact.

Optimism? Have you been hacked?
Not at all. You are not paying attention: I call it like I see it and right now I see things Defensively as very optimistic.

Offensively I see things as, we need 2 more wide receivers, or a minimum of one more wide receiver, and 2 o linemen, and a quarterback change to START the season because if they wait until the season they are losing 2 of the first 6 games with Allar and will be eliminated from the CFP because of it, regardless of the defense...just like last year.

Pribula must be the starter in Morgantown.

King, Hardy, and Dixon are big losses at DB. I hope Harris lives up to his billing (95 rating).

LB s/b as good or better. I'm not sure about DT. I'm curious if Ford will be healthy and make an impact.
Didn't claim it to be as good as last year, but that defense I just posted is a top 20 defense and with a top 20 offense we are in the CFP picture with a solid shot at 10-2.

Again, Beau Pribula must be the season Opening starting QB. Drew Allar lacks the mental strength to compete at the power five top tier level.

• Angry
Reactions: PSU&Trout
Not at all. You are not paying attention: I call it like I see it and right now I see things Defensively as very optimistic.

Offensively I see things as, we need 2 more wide receivers, or a minimum of one more wide receiver, and 2 o linemen, and a quarterback change to START the season because if they wait until the season they are losing 2 of the first 6 games with Allar and will be eliminated from the CFP because of it, regardless of the defense...just like last year.

Pribula must be the starter in Morgantown.
We got what we got. Who would we pick up during the second portal season? A lot of those players are ones who were told after spring practice that they won't be starters. Furthermore they wouldn't have been with the team during spring/summer.

Let's hope:
Fleming > Cephas
Wallace is healthy
Ivey, Saunders, or Evans emerge
KLS figures things out
Williams & Burchmeier emerge

Offensively, I’m hoping Fleming gets KLS and McClain to suck it up and work their arses off this off season as that’s the kinda 3WR unit you need if they are all in. Backups are Wallace, Evans, and Clifford. Also hoping Martin is in the middle because he ain’t playing at RB. Now, Hagans has to deliver.

Defensively they got their starting DBs from the SEC and with Allen running the show the drop off should be minimal.

It’s all about the QB and OL…

Reactions: GregInPitt

But it will be interesting to see how things shake out this Spring as I believe I heard that right now there project to be 96 players on scholarship this summer with the limit of 85 at WVU kickoff......
Any updates on Ford's recovery?

Will be interesting to see how DDS plays without Chop & Adissa. Does he take a step and become a dominant DE? Team needs him to do so.

Reactions: bdgan
That's a pretty legit 3 deep across the entire DL. LB looks great if they stay healthy. The secondary has lots of young talent, but may take time to gel.
Yep, I believe the staff will get Rojas ready for Will as well as Sam and that he may be the backup to Carter even if he starts at Sam. Wylie still looked too small for Will during the Peach Bowl. Robinson seems slated to play Mike and he could eventually be a mauler there. King played very well the second half of 2023. And the wild card is Keys who I haven't seen enough of to have a clue about.

In the secondary the Safety position, without injuries, will be super strong. Winston is an All B10 candidate next season and if Reed returns those are both top talent and experienced starters. With Wheatley, the turnover king now pretty experienced as well as the 3rd "starter", and lots of young talent to sort out for playing time and development. Sadly, it doesn't seem that Flowers will have a chance to get on the field unless he takes a super step this Spring.

CB is the concern. How good can the two transfers be if they both start, considering Harris isn't very experienced? None of the young CB's looked very good in the Peach Bowl, and although Miller was in position a good many times he didn't make the plays that needed to be made after playing 2 years already. Nice talent but lots of development needed and evaluations to be made. The starters against WVU may not be the same as those a couple games later, but that's the fun of following college football - seeing young players break out as they gain confidence, knowledge and sometimes just strength.

Any updates on Ford's recovery?
I would think that we might find something out when/if Franklin or the strength coaches do some interviews/updates as winter S&C goes along. "is Ford at DT a full participant in winter S&C?" That's a question that the media should have written down......

Yep, Ford is an unknown. But with Ellies and Beamon coming back the numbers and experience at DT seems like it's as good as it's ever been. Are they good enough to shut down great offenses? Who knows. And will a 2024 player break out by midseason at either DE or DT? That may not happen with all the depth but if a player is just too good to sit that will be fun to watch as well.

Offensively, I’m hoping Fleming gets KLS and McClain to suck it up and work their arses off this off season as that’s the kinda 3WR unit you need if they are all in. Backups are Wallace, Evans, and Clifford. Also hoping Martin is in the middle because he ain’t playing at RB. Now, Hagans has to deliver.

Defensively they got their starting DBs from the SEC and with Allen running the show the drop off should be minimal.

It’s all about the QB and OL…
Yep, McClain seems to be left out of the WR conversation at times. But he seems to have the best size and athletic ability of the returning WR's. Probably faster than Fleming. I hope McClain first of all stays, and then as you said, just works hard to climb up the chart. But when he gets to the top he needs to MAKE PLAYS!!

I'm in the minority here, but I believe Martin will play some at RB and may also get time in the slot and make plays as a WR as well as getting the ball on a sweep from motion once or twice per game.

Reactions: voltz99
I don’t think we’ll be as good as 2023 as that was our best defense since 05’, but our interior Dline should be really stout with Ellies, Beamon, Izzard, Durrant, possibly Ford, and the two stud freshman Cunningham and Andrews. DDS is a stud and if Smith-Vilbert can make a come back we have enough young talent at DE to fill the void. DB is a question mark, but Cam Miller played well all season until the Peach Bowl. I’ll blame a poor game plan by our co-D coordinators and stud WRs for a lot of what we saw. I see Cam as one starter with AJ on the boundary and Kimber as the nickle. Of course DB is most likely fluid with so many different options, but I think Terry Smith will sort it out and put a good combination out there.

Yep, I believe the staff will get Rojas ready for Will as well as Sam and that he may be the backup to Carter even if he starts at Sam. Wylie still looked too small for Will during the Peach Bowl. Robinson seems slated to play Mike and he could eventually be a mauler there. King played very well the second half of 2023. And the wild card is Keys who I haven't seen enough of to have a clue about.

In the secondary the Safety position, without injuries, will be super strong. Winston is an All B10 candidate next season and if Reed returns those are both top talent and experienced starters. With Wheatley, the turnover king now pretty experienced as well as the 3rd "starter", and lots of young talent to sort out for playing time and development. Sadly, it doesn't seem that Flowers will have a chance to get on the field unless he takes a super step this Spring.

CB is the concern. How good can the two transfers be if they both start, considering Harris isn't very experienced? None of the young CB's looked very good in the Peach Bowl, and although Miller was in position a good many times he didn't make the plays that needed to be made after playing 2 years already. Nice talent but lots of development needed and evaluations to be made. The starters against WVU may not be the same as those a couple games later, but that's the fun of following college football - seeing young players break out as they gain confidence, knowledge and sometimes just strength.
Keep in mind that with new DC scheme will have some changs. Let's see how players adapt.

Yep, McClain seems to be left out of the WR conversation at times. But he seems to have the best size and athletic ability of the returning WR's. Probably faster than Fleming. I hope McClain first of all stays, and then as you said, just works hard to climb up the chart. But when he gets to the top he needs to MAKE PLAYS!!

I'm in the minority here, but I believe Martin will play some at RB and may also get time in the slot and make plays as a WR as well as getting the ball on a sweep from motion once or twice per game.
I think the starting WRs are Fleming, KLS, and Wallace. I hope one of Saunders, Evans, and Ivey breaks out in the spring. If not they are candidates to transfer. Same with Clifford, Meiga, and McClain. A couple of those 6 will want playing time somewhere.

P.S. I like McClain's size too but the staff didn't like something about him. I'm surprised he didn't transfer after being shunned for most of the season.

I think the starting WRs are Fleming, KLS, and Wallace. I hope one of Saunders, Evans, and Ivey breaks out in the spring. If not they are candidates to transfer. Same with Clifford, Meiga, and McClain. A couple of those 6 will want playing time somewhere.

P.S. I like McClain's size too but the staff didn't like something about him. I'm surprised he didn't transfer after being shunned for most of the season.
I'd be surprised if there aren't at least 2 WR transfers out by the end of Spring practice. How can so many scholarship WR's just practice and not play.....

WR is harder to break into in a top 20 program than say RB. But after 2 years in the S&C program and learning the offense, if a WR can't make plays they can't make plays.

Reactions: ftlpsu and bdgan
Didn't claim it to be as good as last year, but that defense I just posted is a top 20 defense and with a top 20 offense we are in the CFP picture with a solid shot at 10-2.

Again, Beau Pribula must be the season Opening starting QB. Drew Allar lacks the mental strength to compete at the power five top tier level.

🤡

I have not seen a single thing from Wallace yet that justifies him being handed a starting job next year.

Reactions: psuno1 and mhep32

Hopefully Elsdon is subjected to special teams only. For he is quite "special"

Whoa! Replace Allar with Pribula; I don't think so. Now I wasn't at any practices this year, but I guarantee you that the best QB on PSU roster is the second teamer.

Miller need to be giving every change to start.
No, THE BEST PLAYER needs to be given every chance to start. Miller has not earned his spot either, and his showing against Ole Miss didn't provide enough evidence.

We will take a step down next year on defense but hopefully not fall off too far. I hope to still be a top ten defense.

Here are the keys:

-DDS plays like an elite Edge guy and is at least B10 first team.
-One of our D tackles has a breakout year maybe Ellies or Beamon. This means significant improvement from previous years.
-Carter is an All American and a game changer making disruptive plays.
-Rojas is good and we don't see a drop off of significance with Jacobs departing.
-The two transfer corners are the real deal and we see some solid improvement from current guys (Miller, Washington, Tracy).
-Allen is good. He is not Diaz but we need him to be very good and certainly better than Brent Pry.

Reactions: 81b&w and Psubiomed
We will take a step down next year on defense but hopefully not fall off too far. I hope to still be a top ten defense.

Here are the keys:

-DDS plays like an elite Edge guy and is at least B10 first team.
-One of our D tackles has a breakout year maybe Ellies or Beamon. This means significant improvement from previous years.
-Carter is an All American and a game changer making disruptive plays.
-Rojas is good and we don't see a drop off of significance with Jacobs departing.
-The two transfer corners are the real deal and we see some solid improvement from current guys (Miller, Washington, Tracy).
-Allen is good. He is not Diaz but we need him to be very good and certainly better than Brent Pry.
OUTSTANDING POST

No, THE BEST PLAYER needs to be given every chance to start. Miller has not earned his spot either, and his showing against Ole Miss didn't provide enough evidence.

I agree. The best player should start.

Miller and Tracy were just brutal in the Ole Miss game.

Reactions: Psubiomed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT