ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting 2023 signee Carey Booth has requested his release from LOI

Isn’t his dad apart of SWH??? What a sheetz show! Good luck Carey at ND. Expect the other two to bolt as well as most of the current roster guys. All of Shrews guys will portal and end up in south bend.

Barring a splash hire, it's going to be awhile before we have anything to look forward to in basketball. Go get that splash hire and the roster is going to get repopulated nicely much quicker. But we are in total rebuilding mode.

You don't need a hardship it want NIL money. You think LeBron's son won't follow the cash?
If you were an NBA Exec with intimate knowledge of the workings of basketball talent evaluation and development (which you just may be), and you had signed a $34mm contract in 2001 that has an approximate value of $60mm today and we assume that you saved at least half of that money, and you currently make in the upper 6 figures if not more for the Nuggets would you sell your son to the highest bidder?

Of course, if he can have both he would take the doe, but there is no way that Booth Senior is worried about the cash component. His priorities 1-9 are fit/development/his son's comfort x3 each. Maybe NIL is #10 valued at 10% or less.

Can't say for any other recruits or current roster players...but in this case the young man has the luxury of picking his spot (again). And he could likely find himself South Bend.

I'm trying to not let Shrew's departure continue to get in my head...and I would have done what he did if in his shoes, but from an Alum point of view we would have been better not hiring him in the first place.

Giving him his big break will not pay out for us. We should have been like every other Dl program and pass over him. The K State guy is winning with 10 guys who transferred in just this year. Do they even know where they are? What the zip or area codes are? Is that what we want?

Micah felt like other coaches we have had who had the proper mix of school and ball. A family atmosphere that once stable, would be more lime Michigan State (no portal guys) than K State. And a pretty genuine guy who worked as hard as we do.

Our risk has us back in the Rinse Cycle that is PSU basketball. Micah has moved into a role he could never have dreamed of.

#Nightmare

#DumpsterFire

It is about priorities. This University places football, wrestling and maybe hockey above hoops.
Many of the competing schools have hoops #1 or a close #2. The dollars can only be spread so far. Choose your priorities.

Reactions: Frabjous
Instead of playing the blame game they should be going out and getting the best coach possible with the parameters something more than what the 5 departing players think....because those who are not departing are showing what they think too...and they don't agree apparently with the departing guys.

Reactions: brupsu
Instead of playing the blame game they should be going out and getting the best coach possible with the parameters something more than what the 5 departing players think....because those who are not departing are showing what they think too...and they don't agree apparently with the departing guys.
no they should sit around and complain that they never should have hired him in the first place

It is about priorities. This University places football, wrestling and maybe hockey above hoops.
Many of the competing schools have hoops #1 or a close #2. The dollars can only be spread so far. Choose your priorities.
So we have no coach, no returning starters, probably no recruits and possibly the few existing scholarship players heading for the portal. Replacing Shrews is not exactly an easy job for our athletic director.
Next year is going to be brutal. Screw ND.

Reactions: psu1969a
You think the school is putting a lot of money into wrestling? I highly doubt it.

...except that basketball is a revenue generating sport so investing in Bball doesn't need to be a drag on other sports.

I agree. I think they need a coach like Steve Aford (currently @ Nevada), Rhodes (VCU) or Langel (Colgate).

Reactions: psrurock
...except that basketball is a revenue generating sport so investing in Bball doesn't need to be a drag on other sports.
But any money being redirected to basketball obviously impacts the other sports unless the increased expense is also increasing revenue. Say we doubled the salaries of our coaching staff...that's going from 3.3 million to 6.6 million. What are the chances that we increase our revenue by that much to offset it (especially when the first season or two may be lean)? As I've pointed out, even a team on the bubble this season couldn't come close to filling up the BJC. It's a tough decision ahead for Mr. Kraft as to how much to actually invest.

I agree. I think they need a coach like Steve Aford (currently @ Nevada), Rhodes (VCU) or Langel (Colgate).
Rhoades would be my choice if possible. Proven winner and from PA. Earning about 1.75 million/yr now, they could bump to 2.5 and he can bring his guys with him. He knows the Richmond/ Hampton Roads areas, he recruits the DMV and i'm sure he can recruit Philly/NJ. He also has guys on his team from the portal so he knows how to quickly build teh team

I agree. I think they need a coach like Steve Alford (currently @ Nevada), Rhodes (VCU) or Langel (Colgate).
They need a coach who can attract big time recruits. I think that means a big name ex NBA star. They should be looking at the Deon Sanders model in football. Every where Sanders goes he attracts big time recruits to mediocre programs. For basketball only 2-3 top recruits are needed to field a great team. Look at what John Thompson did at Georgetown. Penn State could do the same. Hiring a no name assistant from some other program is useless and won't work.

Rhoades would be my choice if possible. Proven winner and from PA. Earning about 1.75 million/yr now, they could bump to 2.5 and he can bring his guys with him. He knows the Richmond/ Hampton Roads areas, he recruits the DMV and i'm sure he can recruit Philly/NJ. He also has guys on his team from the portal so he knows how to quickly build teh team
I also like that Rhodes has done it at multiple stops now. I don't think it would hurt that the A10 has been slipping the past several years and isn't currently the ~3 bid league that it was when he arrived in Richmond.

Rhodes isn't my first choice, but he'd definitely be up near the top (and again, I think he's a realistic option).

They need a coach who can attract big time recruits. I think that means a big name ex NBA star. They should be looking at the Deon Sanders model in football. Every where Sanders goes he attracts big time recruits to mediocre programs. For basketball only 2-3 top recruits are needed to field a great team. Look at what John Thompson did at Georgetown. Penn State could do the same. Hiring a no name assistant from some other program is useless and won't work.
Ewing? Drexler? Mullin? All are available I'd assume.

I'd prefer focusing on getting a good coach...and someone with the recruiting connections that we need.

Very disappointing. For one brief moment I was hopeful for PSU basketball. With all the money spent on Bryce Jordan, you would think that they would pursue the best coach almost regardless of cost. The Shrewsbury deal bothers me. Was it predictable? Maybe. But we need a top notch replacement NOW!! If not, forget basketball for the next few years. It will take a big name years to rebuild after this devastating blow. Hope I am wrong.

Just get rid of the program. It is what the university leadership has always wanted. Is that just too strong of a statement? I see nothing in the history of the administration of the men's basketball program that could be used to argue otherwise.

Just get rid of the program. It is what the university leadership has always wanted. Is that just too strong of a statement? I see nothing in the history of the administration of the men's basketball program that could be used to argue otherwise.
Somehow hiring Micah and assembling a heck of a staff around him was a sign that we didn’t want any success?

Some of the thinking here amazes me.

Somehow hiring Micah and assembling a heck of a staff around him was a sign that we didn’t want any success?

Some of the thinking here amazes me.
BS... from Shrews own words...and those of a long line of ex-PSU head coaches. Say what you will...

BS... from Shrews own words...and those of a long line of ex-PSU head coaches. Say what you will...
Can you point me to the words that Micah that referenced University leadership not wanting a basketball program (or anything along those lines)?

But any money being redirected to basketball obviously impacts the other sports unless the increased expense is also increasing revenue. Say we doubled the salaries of our coaching staff...that's going from 3.3 million to 6.6 million. What are the chances that we increase our revenue by that much to offset it (especially when the first season or two may be lean)? As I've pointed out, even a team on the bubble this season couldn't come close to filling up the BJC. It's a tough decision ahead for Mr. Kraft as to how much to actually invest.
Do you really think $3M for the AD is meaningful? This is purely a decision for Kraft and the BOT to make about priorities. When the BJC was built, the upper deck was regularly full to watch Calvin booth, Pete lisicky, Matt gaudio, and Dan Earl. A competitive program will draw. The bigger question is whether facilities are a true hindrance to success or just an excuse on top of a pile of other addressable items. PSU found benefactors to launch varsity hockey, hire Cael, and invest in football facilities. There is someone out there with money that would probably want to be known as the person who launched a competitive BB program at PSU.

I for one don't care one once for wrestling. Would easily trade Cale for hoops being 1-A. It is an embarrassment and indictment of failed leadership for hoops to be this neglected!

Do you really think $3M for the AD is meaningful? This is purely a decision for Kraft and the BOT to make about priorities. When the BJC was built, the upper deck was regularly full to watch Calvin booth, Pete lisicky, Matt gaudio, and Dan Earl. A competitive program will draw. The bigger question is whether facilities are a true hindrance to success or just an excuse on top of a pile of other addressable items. PSU found benefactors to launch varsity hockey, hire Cael, and invest in football facilities. There is someone out there with money that would probably want to be known as the person who launched a competitive BB program at PSU.
Yes, I believe that $3 million dollars to the Athletic Department is very meaningful.

Much of that crowd in 95-96 was due to the new building itself and the excitement that it generated. For example, if I recall correctly, it was something approaching 4k BJC season ticket packages that were sold to students. And most of the non-student BJC tickets were sold before the season even began. Those weren't all people anticipating how good we'd end up being that year. If a "competitive" program will draw, then why haven't we been drawing over the last several years? We've had about a 6 year run of being pretty darn competitive.

To be honest I think a lot of lesser name coaches could do just well preparing the team. I think the bigger issue is finding a coach who can bring in top players. Shrews had the appeal of saying he was an assistant with the Celtics.

Fisher is possibly as good of an Xs and Os coach as Shrewsberry but I doubt he has the same ability to attract recruits.

Carey on my wayward son
They'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more

Boom. Da, da, da, daaaaa, da-da-da-daaaa....

Reactions: RickinDayton
Maybe Cal Booth wants to help out?????

The portal makes things almost impossible to survive as a stepping stone school.

I don't blame Shrewsberry for taking advantage of the opportunity. He earned it. That said, this devastates our program.

I thought Chambers was building the program in a sustainable way.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT