ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting 2023 Elite 11 Thread — Ethan Grunkemeyer updates

Penn State commit Ethan Grunkemeyer made his presence felt very early on at Day 1 of the Elite 11 Finals. His arm jumped out from the first drill. The football came out of his hand with noticeable velocity. We thought he consistently had the most juice on his throws of any Elite 11 Finalist on Wednesday evening.

The Lewis Center (Ohio) Olentangy product was a standout at every station. He showed the ability to drive the ball to all levels with ease. We saw him make a number of impressive throws on flag and deep-in routes.

Grunkemeyer capped off the day by finishing second in the Elite 11’s annual rail shot competition, which calls for the quarterbacks to make a high difficulty throw to a streaking wide receiver down the left sideline – one that calls for arm strength and the ability to layer the football into a tight window. He was last in line for the competition and delivered big-time throw after big-time throw in a setting with everyone watching. The arm talent and overall performance from start to finish made the Nittany Lion pledge the consensus top choice for On3 MVP on Wednesday. – Charles Power

He will get one on every ranking service, others will jump him in to the top 15, rivals will move him up 1 spot to 27
When I watched the video of him at the qb camp a few weeks ago, I really liked what I saw. He looked to me like he has a good throwing motion, and also appeared to run pretty well for someone who appears to be a pro-style qb.

If you accept the fact that PSU now is a consistent top-10 program, which I do, and he earned a scholarship from it, he must be considered to be a good prospect.

When I watched the video of him at the qb camp a few weeks ago, I really liked what I saw. He looked to me like he has a good throwing motion, and also appeared to run pretty well for someone who appears to be a pro-style qb.

If you accept the fact that PSU now is a consistent top-10 program, which I do, and he earned a scholarship from it, he must be considered to be a good prospect.
We also are developing quite a reputation of finding QBs before they blow up. We found Justin Fields when he was an unknown even though he decommitted after blowing up. We found Allar when he was an relative unknown 3 star. And now our current 3 star earns and invite to the elite 11 and then wins the day 1 MVP over the 5 stars. You have to admit, we are getting good at this.

We also are developing quite a reputation of finding QBs before they blow up. We found Justin Fields when he was an unknown even though he decommitted after blowing up. We found Allar when he was an relative unknown 3 star. And now our current 3 star earns and invite to the elite 11 and then wins the day 1 MVP over the 5 stars. You have to admit, we are getting good at this.
Yes, I agree with this. I really like the way this current staff is branching out into different parts of the country and identifying and correctly evaluating prospects who fit future needs early in the process.

Although PSU is a blue blood college football program, it's located in an area where some of its traditional recruiting spots are beginning to dry up; i.e., Western PA. Thus, I really appreciate how this staff is fighting hard to recruit kids from other areas of the country.

Yes, I agree with this. I really like the way this current staff is branching out into different parts of the country and identifying and correctly evaluating prospects who fit future needs early in the process.

Although PSU is a blue blood college football program, it's located in an area where some of its traditional recruiting spots are beginning to dry up; i.e., Western PA. Thus, I really appreciate how this staff is fighting hard to recruit kids from other areas of the country.
Yeah, and how sweet would it be if Allar and Grunkemeyer both become stars, coming out of the Buckeye state.

That's the great thing about scouting. You can put 10 scouts at the Elite 11 and all 10 scouts will have different lists.
So what you’re saying is, because some evaluators are subject to favoritism, preconceived perceptions, bribery, laziness, incompetence, fear of certain coaches and exclusion from access to information from individual programs this isn’t an exact science?😅😂🤣🥹. But it is fun to follow.

That's the great thing about scouting. You can put 10 scouts at the Elite 11 and all 10 scouts will have different lists.
Very true. But the career of these players will continue to unfold. And those scouts that were more accurate in their evaluations will be long forgotten as a new crop of prospects emerges and needs to be evaluated.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Very true. But the career of these players will continue to unfold. And those scouts that were more accurate in their evaluations will be long forgotten as a new crop of prospects emerges and needs to be evaluated.
Yep, not much in terms of accountability for accuracy of their ratings. There should be follow up with reranking based on career performance and then comparing each rating service.

Yep, not much in terms of accountability for accuracy of their ratings. There should be follow up with reranking based on career performance and then comparing each rating service.
Playing devil's advocate, it is costly to go back through the process of grading yourself and your competitors while at the same time chasing down and evaluating new young and emerging talent.

Secondly, the initial analysis could have been spot on. But the player grew, matured and improved and was not the same player that was previously evaluated.

Just food for thought.

Grunk was also 11 by Rivals, so I'm not sure what the heck the other network saw.

I'm not sure how finishing 2nd in the competition held that day equates to being ranked 11th for the day either. Particularly when the #1 Raoila has multiple mentions of accuracy issues.

A lot of it sounds like rankings bias aka sticking to current status quo vs basing it off what occurred that viewing session.

Link to rivals right up ?

I'm not sure how finishing 2nd in the competition held that day equates to being ranked 11th for the day either. Particularly when the #1 Raoila has multiple mentions of accuracy issues.

A lot of it sounds like rankings bias aka sticking to current status quo vs basing it off what occurred that viewing session.

It was one of many events that occurred on day one.

Also linked above.

Sure seems like some confirmation bias on a few of the 5 stars that didn't show out like expected but are still listed at the top. Maybe they earn it by the end of the Elite 11? Doesn't sound like they did day 1.

Sure seems like some confirmation bias on a few of the 5 stars that didn't show out like expected but are still listed at the top. Maybe they earn it by the end of the Elite 11? Doesn't sound like they did day 1.
Nothing really Earth shattering out there at the Elite11. Unfortunately that is life. Most people form an opinion about something or someone. Then when presented with additional facts or information, they just bend them to conform to their existing preconceived beliefs. The kid should get a ratings bump, but if not as long as he performs here that’s really all that matters. Did I mention that life isn’t fair?

Say what you want about Franklin's game-day decisions...

...but his analysis of QBs out of high school is unparelleled.
  • No other major program wanted Trace at QB. He did. Trace was a 3-year starter and if not for injuries, may have made it to the playoffs. Somehow the guy is still in the NFL.
  • Justin Fields. 3 star QB from Georgia who didn't get offered by SEC. Decommits when home state power comes calling and in cruelest of irony is allowed into the Big Ten with a free pass by the NCAA and Big Ten to our rival. He's a 2-year NFL starter.
  • We ended up with Levis that year. Super lowly ranked...and while it didn't work out in State College. The dude was an early 2nd round pick!
  • Allar. 3 star QB in Ohio...we snag him. He blows up before and during senior year. Sticks with us and now we're about to see if he's legit or not...
And now Grunk seems to be following the same script...

I know there have been a bunch of washouts too...but that track record of uncovering hidden gems the past 10 years is impressive.

• No other major program wanted Trace at QB. He did. Trace was a 3-year starter and if not for injuries, may have made it to the playoffs. Somehow the guy is still in the NFL.
  • Justin Fields. 3 star QB from Georgia who didn't get offered by SEC. Decommits when home state power comes calling and in cruelest of irony is allowed into the Big Ten with a free pass by the NCAA and Big Ten to our rival. He's a 2-year NFL starter.
  • We ended up with Levis that year. Super lowly ranked...and while it didn't work out in State College. The dude was an early 2nd round pick!
  • Allar. 3 star QB in Ohio...we snag him. He blows up before and during senior year. Sticks with us and now we're about to see if he's legit or not...

I know there have been a bunch of washouts too...but that track record of uncovering hidden gems the past 10 years is impressive.
I'd add Clifford (5th round pick), Stevens (7th round pick), Hack (2nd round pick). Basically, every QB that's played for him has gotten drafted.

BTW, has any heard of how Day 2 went?

There’s always going to be a washout or two, but that success ratio is outstanding.

I'd add Clifford (5th round pick), Stevens (7th round pick), Hack (2nd round pick). Basically, every QB that's played for him has gotten drafted.

BTW, has any heard of how Day 2 went?

Going on right now. Grunk is soon on the throwing Pro Day event. Refresh for updates.

--

7:51 p.m. PT: It was a really nice session for Penn State commit Ethan Grunkemeyer. We charted him as accurate on 17 of 20 passes. He settled in and finished very strong, gaining confidence throughout. He’s a coordinated, twitchy passer with second life and zip on his throws. The Elite 11 staff score for Grunkemeyer was 42.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT