ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Penn State Media Day Coverage

Ryan Snyder/BWI Staff

Aug 11, 2010
Here are a few stories up on the site so far. We'll have more to come throughout the day. The media attends practice at 5 pm ET.

Reactions: NJPSU
Frustrating to hear the Moorhead talk. Works well when you have a generational talent at RB and high end skill everywhere. Even with Barkley he had to create a lot on his own. Move on James; let Mike do Mike.
I concur. Please, get out of the OCs way and let him sink or swim. I hate the handoff to a stationary RB and the QB running alot as a designed play.

Frustrating to hear the Moorhead talk. Works well when you have a generational talent at RB and high end skill everywhere. Even with Barkley he had to create a lot on his own. Move on James; let Mike do Mike.
Why would this frustrate you?

Franklin said he expects Mike Yurcich's offense to be similar to what Penn State ran under Joe Moorhead. "That's kind of who we wanted to be the entire time that we've been here."

Similar does not mean exactly the same. The Moorhead style with MY’s spin could be pretty good. I am pretty sure MY came in with eyes wide open and he was good with O that Franklin wants and MY is good with it and can build on it, make it his own.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Interesting listening to Coach Pry talk about the DE position. He is high on Tarburton and Ebikie. Said injuries previously held Tarburton back and they have always liked him as a football player @ DE. Said Ebikie is intelligent and is easily picking up the schemes. Luketa will definitely see time there as coach likes his rushing ability. Spoke highly of Smith Vilberts progress @ DE as well as his athleticism. Apparently moved Amin Vanover out to DE from DT. Too bad about Isaac, hope the others step up.

Franklin said he expects Mike Yurcich's offense to be similar to what Penn State ran under Joe Moorhead. "That's kind of who we wanted to be the entire time that we've been here."

Similar does not mean exactly the same. The Moorhead style with MY’s spin could be pretty good. I am pretty sure MY came in with eyes wide open and he was good with O that Franklin wants and MY is good with it and can build on it, make it his own.
That is the key question: when the season begins, will it be MYs imprint or does Franklin interfere?

Reactions: N&B4PSU

I don’t believe there will be a lot of room for ‘spin’. Sounds like coach speak for - ‘we’re gonna try to do what we did before because it worked under this other guy.’ Moorhead saw what happens to his system when there is no Barkley, Gesicki, Godwin, or McSorley.

I don’t believe there will be a lot of room for ‘spin’. Sounds like coach speak for - ‘we’re gonna try to do what we did before because it worked under this other guy.’ Moorhead saw what happens to his system when there is no Barkley, Gesicki, Godwin, or McSorley.
You go ahead and be pessimistic, I’m going to be optimistic,

Here are a few stories up on the site so far. We'll have more to come throughout the day. The media attends practice at 5 pm ET.

Ryan, were there any interviews with the position coaches and players that will be posted?

I would tend to agree that Franklin needs to let his OC do his job. But, we never really saw the full Moorhead offense either. We only saw a portion of what he is capable of doing. The closest we have seen to the offense unleashed was the 2019 LSU juggernaut which is close to what he wanted to run in State College when he arrived. This of course was before Hack left early but had to pick up the pieces and make something work with a functionally limited quarterback.

Reactions: Midnighter2
I concur. Please, get out of the OCs way and let him sink or swim. I hate the handoff to a stationary RB and the QB running alot as a designed play.
Hopefully the play where Clifford takes one step back and runs into the middle of the line for no gain, was thrown out of the play book.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and BBrown
A lot of smoke & mirrors, without experienced back ups SC will not be like Trace this year. Make Wisconsin think, and overthink.

I’m hoping for the best, but the precedent is there. We’ll see. But, to go out and the the guy you want only have him run someone else’s system doesn’t make sense.
Good lord, Franklin didn’t say he was going to make MY run somebody’s else’s system.

Well it sounds like he’s going to let Yurcich do some of his own things. CJF talks about defenses having to defend 53.5 yards of the width of the field, which is a one of the main concepts that Yurcich is known for. Also it has been mentioned that we will see the QB under center and an H-Back which are definitely not in Moorhead’s playbook, as well as a quick hurry up go go go offense and not just getting to the line and seeing the defense’s alignment and adjusting from there.

I think we should wait and see. CJF and Yurcich are very intelligent people and there’s no way this wasn’t discussed before the hire. I’m hoping CJF has learned to be more hands off and let his coordinators run their plays and schemes. I think the Moorhead comparisons were just about the offense being RPO, Zone Read, and explosive plays, all part of Yurcich’s concepts.

Away for the weekend (hunting camp work weekend...) and this thread has come great info regarding the upcoming season.

We knew Fall camp would be critical for the development of the young DE's, but Isaac out for the season is BIG news....

Would be great to see Tarburton stay healthy as he is now very likely a starter at DE and will provide an upper classman presence, along with Ebiketie. But Fisher is my breakout player prediction at DE.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT