ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny if true, but I take everything Pat Mineo says with a grain of salt. He’s the all knowing insider who’s wrong 50% of the time. He predicted Nagao to PSU, then Iowa, then “yup it was PSU all along”. He’s a total clown. I think he also said Bernie to Iowa and then when he was wrong claimed he was just trolling Iowa fans. Dude’s a real weirdo.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Funny if true, but I take everything Pat Mineo says with a grain of salt. He’s the all knowing insider who’s wrong 50% of the time. He predicted Nagao to PSU, then Iowa, then “yup it was PSU all along”. He’s a total clown. I think he also said Bernie to Iowa and then when he was wrong claimed he was just trolling Iowa fans. Dude’s a real weirdo.
Mineo never claimed Traux was transferring to Iowa. He said Truax would visit Iowa (which did happen), and that Iowa offered him $250k (which is plausible). A lot of people freaked out over that and assumed the worst.

ferrari-crash-1.gif

Maybe it’s a generational thing, but I never fully understood why they called it “trolling”. When we’re out on the bay and we’re trying to get the fish to bite, we call it “chumming”. 😉😉😉

Mineo never claimed Traux was transferring to Iowa. He said Truax would visit Iowa (which did happen), and that Iowa offered him $250k (which is plausible). A lot of people freaked out over that and assumed the worst.
As someone who has dinged Mineo before for getting things wrong and then pretending he didn't (which evidently triggered him to block me from his Facebook wrestling page despite my never having interacted there), I'll admit that he's gotten more reliable of late. Or at least I've not recently seen anything that required a retraction or memory-holing.

Maybe it’s a generational thing, but I never fully understood why they called it “trolling”. When we’re out on the bay and we’re trying to get the fish to bite, we call it “chumming”. 😉😉😉
Never thought about that. That's a damn good point. You always catch more fish chumming than trolling. It's chumming from this time until the end of time. Let it be done!!!

Never thought about that. That's a damn good point. You always catch more fish chumming than trolling. It's chumming from this time until the end of time. Let it be done!!!
Chumming brings the fish but hard to catch them unless you also have a troll line, or at least some line out. Unless you are going to gaff them when they come to the surface. That didn;t work well with Jaws. :)

Chumming brings the fish but hard to catch them unless you also have a troll line, or at least some line out. Unless you are going to gaff them when they come to the surface. That didn;t work well with Jaws. :)
Agreed. Gotta have lines out. We never chummed and then trolled. Trolling suggests that you move off that spot. You chum a certain spot and then sit on it. Lines in the water. Let the fish come to you😉😉.

Yeah, never said that but go off. 😂

No kidding? I never knew you had to use line to catch them. Who knew? Please keep giving us the good tips.

No kidding? I never knew you had to use line to catch them. Who knew? Please keep giving us the good tips.
Some places in Missouri shad will actually jump into the boat! 😉 But, never chum and then start trolling. It’s a waste of good bait. But, you knew that.

That house is 3 miles from me. Home Alone house is 4. “Shermer High” 5 miles. Cameron Frye’s freak out recovery scene at the lake overlook, 1 mile. I live in Hughesville.
That is super cool. Talk about epic films. I can still get down on some John Hughes films almost 40 years later. I spent a few months last year road tripping from Fargo, ND to Astoria, WA(home of the Goonies) down the entire coast to LA and then through the south til PA. The jail where the bad guy faked hanging himself so he could escape is now the Goonies Museum. That was such a cool city.

Reactions: PSU Mike and royboy
That is super cool. Talk about epic films. I can still get down on some John Hughes films almost 40 years later. I spent a few months last year road tripping from Fargo, ND to Astoria, WA(home of the Goonies) down the entire coast to LA and then through the south til PA. The jail where the bad guy faked hanging himself so he could escape is now the Goonies Museum. That was such a cool city.
The California coast gets a lot of attention, and deservedly so, but the Oregon coast is just spectacular.

Loved Cannon Beach, Oregon. What were your favorite spots on the coast?

The California coast gets a lot of attention, and deservedly so, but the Oregon coast is just spectacular.

Love the Oregon coast, and maybe more so the coastal streams. I consider the Nehalem River above Manzanita my proxy home water. Coastal cutts/sea-run cutts are among the most underrated fish on a fly, IMO.

Reactions: AndEEss and royboy

Unfortunately there was a lot of the actual coast up north that I didn't get the best look at between the trees and the fog. Astoria really sticks out though. Entering the city right by the main road was like a 50 ft vessel half buried in the ground. Went to the Maritime Museum there. Evidently the Columbia River Bar is known as the Graveyard of the Pacific and the reason it is particularly treacherous is because the navigation routes constantly change due to the turbulent water shifting the sea floor so they have special pilots that come aboard the big vessels and guide them in. The Oregon Coast Aquarium wasn't very big but it was neat because they had tunnels that were completely underwater. I have an old high school buddy that lives near Mendocino. Watching the seals hang out on the beach was pretty amazing. Coos bay, really all the bays. The redwood forests were awe inspiring. The most beautiful place I saw was Big Sur. It was like manicured nature. The kind of pristine you'd see in a well kept city park but it was a huge Nat'l forest. Wash Park in Portland stands out. A city park that is a giant rain forest. It has the International Rose Test Garden and an authentic Japanese Garden. Portland was interesting. It is always ranked highly in the list of bicycle friendly cities so I was excited having commuted by bike for many years in Denver. Beautiful country but there is nothing friendly about those hills. Lol. Plus they have decriminalized drugs there so that was an experience. Waiting for the light rail amongst business suits and briefcases while a few feet adjacent to us people were injecting drugs into their hands. Crazy stuff. Went to Venice Beach. That was neat just because it's been in so many movies. San Francisco, the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz. Such a unique city. They are packed in there like sardines for sure though. Coming home from Fargo and almost 50 years old I figured it was now or never. Burned through a lot of loot( 7-8 dollars for a gallon of gas in CA and damn near a thousand miles of coastline doesn't make for friendly math). No regrets though. Well maybe one. Here's a PSA for anyone wanting to stay at a park on the California Coast. Tourism is so big you need to plan and reserve a spot like a year in advance. They don't take walk-ons.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there was a lot of the actual coast up north that I didn't get the best look at between the trees and the fog. Astoria really sticks out though. Entering the city right by the main road was like a 50 ft vessel half buried in the ground. Went to the Maritime Museum there. Evidently the Columbia River Bar is known as the Graveyard of the Pacific and the reason it is particularly treacherous is because the navigation routes constantly change due to the turbulent water shifting the sea floor so they have special pilots that come aboard the big vessels and guide them in. The Oregon Coast Aquarium wasn't very big but it was neat because they had tunnels that were completely underwater. I have an old high school buddy that lives near Mendocino. Watching the seals hang out on the beach was pretty amazing. Coos bay, really all the bays. The redwood forests were awe inspiring. The most beautiful place I saw was Big Sur. It was like manicured nature. The kind of pristine you'd see in a well kept city park but it was a huge Nat'l forest. Wash Park in Portland stands out. A city park that is a giant rain forest. It has the International Rose Test Garden and an authentic Japanese Garden. Portland was interesting. It is always ranked highly in the list of bicycle friendly cities so I was excited having commuted by bike for many years in Denver. Beautiful country but there is nothing friendly about those hills. Lol. Plus they have decriminalized drugs there so that was an experience. Waiting for the light rail amongst business suits and briefcases while a few feet adjacent to us people were injecting drugs into their hands. Crazy stuff. Went to Venice Beach. That was neat just because it's been in so many movies. San Francisco, the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz. Such a unique city. They are packed in there like sardines for sure though. Coming home from Fargo and almost 50 years old I figured it was now or never. Burned through a lot of loot( 7-8 dollars for a gallon of gas in CA and damn near a thousand miles of coastline doesn't make for friendly math). No regrets though. Well maybe one. Here's a PSA for anyone wanting to stay at a park on the California Coast. Tourism is so big you need to plan and reserve a spot like a year in advance. They don't take walk-ons.
I lived in Portland for 20 years and now live in Eugene. If anyone is coming this way and wants recommendations on where to go and what to see let me know. I am a firm believer that the Oregon coast blows the CA coast away. Absolutely breathtaking

Agreed. We ran the west coast from Eureka, CA to Port Angelas, WA, basically Seattle. The Oregon coast is spectacular, like no place I’ve ever seen. Lots of egress to the beaches. Washington, eh. You have to work to get close to the water. But, all in all the Oregon Coast is something every person should be so privileged to have experience in their lifetime. One of my top tens.

Reactions: zzs006
I just saw Cam Robinson of Iowa St (and Council Rock North) is in the portal. Not that he has a spot at PSU, but hopefully he comes back closer to home to Clarion or Lock Haven or Edinboro or something where he can wrestle. Paniro first and now Chittum kind of sealed his fate at ISU. My son is at IUP and might go see him if he's local (relatively).

I lived in Portland for 20 years and now live in Eugene. If anyone is coming this way and wants recommendations on where to go and what to see let me know. I am a firm believer that the Oregon coast blows the CA coast away. Absolutely breathtaking

I lived in Hood River for two years, right after undergrad. I’m in love with the mountain west for many reasons, and Oregon is what got me going. Sleepy old logging towns, forests so dark and dense that noon is like sundown, high deserts, big mountains, wild rivers, foggy beaches, old roads through the forest that haven’t seen a human in years.

A couple people I knew were involved in making this:

Some places in Missouri shad will actually jump into the boat! 😉 But, never chum and then start trolling. It’s a waste of good bait. But, you knew that.
Guys….I am so sorry if I derailed the “Portal” thread (even for a moment) by bringing up “chumming vs. trolling”. It struck me funny at the time, but I never like to open a thread and find the conversation totally off point. My bad. I will be more careful in the future.

Guys….I am so sorry if I derailed the “Portal” thread (even for a moment) by bringing up “chumming vs. trolling”. It struck me funny at the time, but I never like to open a thread and find the conversation totally off point. My bad. I will be more careful in the future.
Are you kidding? In 6 or 7 more posts we’ll somehow be talking about fidget spinners or something… 😆 Don’t even get me started on ticks.

What is going on in Minneapolis?

They did sign Hilger to their RTC yesterday too, so not all bad news, I guess.

Reactions: Split shot
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT