ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought he would be great if he was a full sized 125. Lots of upside so let’s see if Cody and crew can pull it out of him. I’m sure he’s coming for very little $ if any so it’s only a positive in my opinion.

Reactions: El-Jefe
I think we can rule out McHenry magically becoming a full sized 125, he's had 4 years in college to do it and still isn't it.

That being said, this is a fantastic addition. I can't imagine he is demanding much scholarship and more likely sees an opportunity at PSU to be part of an amazing lineup. I think he can be a NQ level guy if he's the starter and in the very least, he doesn't seem likely to ever get blown out (since he's so skilled and quick) Saw he had a 15-7 win over Nick Babin last year (who was R16) and also obviously was in SV with Figs.

125 is weak next year that if you just get a guy there and maybe with a favorable bracket, you can have him get on the podium. Not counting on that much obviously but once again, love this addition.

Just catching up here.

1) Don’t think this says much about Robbie other than what we already knows.

2) Get the impression McHenry is paying his own way.

3) Two years of eligibility left, could maaaaybe get a waiver for 3.

4) McHenry has some serious freestyle aspirations and this helps with those.

5) I’m not super high on Kurt in folk and never have been but he’s a waaay better Plan B than we’d had recently at 125

125-7/8
133-1/2
141-1/2
149-1/2
157- 1
165- AA
174-1
184- 1/2
197- 1
Hwy-1
8 Finalists= 160 no bonus points. It looks like the record is within reach

As the parent of a DI athlete who has now used the portal twice, I'm shocked at what the NCAA has gotten away with for years in athletics. In my mind they've regulated indentured servitude for decades (different than slavery - please check a dictionary for the differences). Student-athletes should be dealt with exactly the same way as every other student on campus. No recruiting limits, no transfer limits, no scholarship limits, no contact limits, nothing save limiting roster sizes. The rules and regs the NCAA has had in place has allowed a number of coaches to become pampered potentates with no concern for their charges. Gut the NCAA.
While we may not currently like the portal because it’s new and it’s kind of the wild wild West…. I couldn’t agree more. There are a thousand reasons why kids want to transfer every year. It’s their first away from home, new coaches, new relationships, new pressures and new problems. If a kid decides to transfer every year then so be it. The coach, parents and schools are accountable, “or should be” for these kids while they are at their school and for a long time they haven’t been. Brief chat with someone very close to Chance Marsteller who was sold a bag of goods by OSU and John Smith and then held hostage for far too long. And yes we know change had his own demons. Still, Absolutely ridiculous! It is incumbent on that coach to create and foster an environment for these young men “kids” to thrive. Not just in sport, but in life. If that coach can’t do it, if the kid feels he has a better chance to succeed elsewhere, then he deserves that. Coaches can leave at will, teachers can leave at will, students can leave at will. The same should apply to student athletes. Period, end of story and it’s not negotiable! When it’s your kid in that situation then you will think the same way.

While we may not currently like the portal because it’s new and it’s kind of the wild wild West…. I couldn’t agree more. There are a thousand reasons why kids want to transfer every year. It’s their first away from home, new coaches, new relationships, new pressures and new problems. If a kid decides to transfer every year then so be it. The coach, parents and schools are accountable, “or should be” for these kids while they are at their school and for a long time they haven’t been. Brief chat with someone very close to Chance Marsteller who was sold a bag of goods by OSU and John Smith and then held hostage for far too long. And yes we know change had his own demons. Still, Absolutely ridiculous! It is incumbent on that coach to create and foster an environment for these young men “kids” to thrive. Not just in sport, but in life. If that coach can’t do it, if the kid feels he has a better chance to succeed elsewhere, then he deserves that. Coaches can leave at will, teachers can leave at will, students can leave at will. The same should apply to student athletes. Period, end of story and it’s not negotiable! When it’s your kid in that situation then you will think the same way.

I wish my kids got athletic scholarships so I could talk about how unfair athletic scholarships are.

No amount of scholly money is worth what some coaches put athletes through mentally and physically.
Oh I know, and the worst part is that guys can’t just up and leave yet, or cash in on their names, or images, or likeness.

I see that he last wrestled at Cliff Keen where he took an MFOR in his final match. Anyone know what the issue was?

So McHenry is another one who would be a high podium guy if 118 still existed?

It will be interesting to see who makes it to March out of that group. Can Cael finally get a NQ and dare I say point scorer out of 125? It certainly hasn't been needed, but it is a touch frustrating considering all the other successes. I know it's beyond first world problems, but I want more.

So McHenry is another one who would be a high podium guy if 118 still existed?

It will be interesting to see who makes it to March out of that group. Can Cael finally get a NQ and dare I say point scorer out of 125? It certainly hasn't been needed, but it is a touch frustrating considering all the other successes. I know it's beyond first world problems, but I want more.
A lot depends on Robert Howard's injury status. If Howard can get (and stay) healthy, he's probably one of the better guys in the country at 125 and the job is likely his. However, based on Howard's injury history, that's a big "if".

If Howard can't go, gotta think that McHenry is the next best option for at least 2023-24. This would enable Davis to a needed redshirt year. As of a few months ago, Steen still needed a lot of work. And Nasdeo is apparently taking a greyshirt, which should surprise no one.

Unless Steen jumps levels by the fall (which would be great but I wouldn't count on it), McHenry seems like the no-brainer best option if Howard is unavailable.

Just catching up here.

1) Don’t think this says much about Robbie other than what we already knows.

2) Get the impression McHenry is paying his own way.

3) Two years of eligibility left, could maaaaybe get a waiver for 3.

4) McHenry has some serious freestyle aspirations and this helps with those.

5) I’m not super high on Kurt in folk and never have been but he’s a waaay better Plan B than we’d had recently at 125
Most relevant IMO are #1, #4, and #5.

A lot depends on Robert Howard's injury status. If Howard can get (and stay) healthy, he's probably one of the better guys in the country at 125 and the job is likely his. However, based on Howard's injury history, that's a big "if".

If Howard can't go, gotta think that McHenry is the next best option for at least 2023-24. This would enable Davis to a needed redshirt year. As of a few months ago, Steen still needed a lot of work. And Nasdeo is apparently taking a greyshirt, which should surprise no one.

Unless Steen jumps levels by the fall (which would be great but I wouldn't count on it), McHenry seems like the no-brainer best option if Howard is unavailable.
I'm counting on Steen jumping levels.

125-7/8
133-1/2
141-1/2
149-1/2
157- 1
165- AA
174-1
184- 1/2
197- 1
Hwy-1
8 Finalists= 160 no bonus points. It looks like the record is within reach
As big a psu fan as the next guy but let’s pump the brakes here a bit…
125…..always a question mark
133…..3/4
141…..1/4
149…..2/4
157……1/2
165…..who goes….Facundo? Better find some offense before I pencil him as an AA
174…..1
184…..1/3
197…..1
285….1/2

Reactions: Antaeus
133…..3/4
141…..1/4
149…..2/4
157……1/2
174…..1
184…..1/3
197…..1
285….1/2
Fair enough, but if Shayne is capable of taking a four-timer like Yianni into deep waters (which he did), I’m calling him a contender in his second year as a starter. Personally, I’d give him a better chance than Beau at this point.

uh oh. looks like a parking lot show down comin ;)
giphy-downsized-6.gif

133…..3/4
141…..1/4
149…..2/4
157……1/2
174…..1
184…..1/3
197…..1
285….1/2
I was thinking Messenbrink can AA next year same with Mchenry. The rest Truax/SVN/BB all making the finals is unlikely but.. I did not see BB/SVN/Levi finishing 3/3/2 this year either.

Reactions: USPMAN
Fair enough, but if Shayne is capable of taking a four-timer like Yianni into deep waters (which he did), I’m calling him a contender in his second year as a starter. Personally, I’d give him a better chance than Beau at this point.
I get it, Shane had a phenomenal tournament…..if that’s the Shane we saw this year then he can definitely win…..I assume sasso stays at 49 and ridge Lovett will be back this year…..def has a chance though

You’re not the most hated poster. And if you can manage to laugh off the occasional joke at your expense, folks will probably like you even more. Just my unsolicited $0.02.

Well said

McPat here knows a thing or 3 about getting balls busted, after all what kind of man drinks White Claws??

See how this goes PSUgo??
You gotta toughen up,yet lighten up,all at the same time! We’ll be patient while you get this figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT