ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know that we need a transfer. We just went through a very difficult season to train, guys couldn’t compete in opens, everything was inconsistent and yet we had 4 champions. We have guys at every weight to compete. 149 is definitely not a problem. Beard was an AA and Kerkvliet came off the couch to AA. Howard looked great and was sitting next to Kerkvliet 😂. 157 and 165 will shake out. That was Joe’s first full season and it was short. Our team gets better every week and we didn’t have many weeks. Some guys need to grow and we will be fine.

I don’t know that we need a transfer. We just went through a very difficult season to train, guys couldn’t compete in opens, everything was inconsistent and yet we had 4 champions. We have guys at every weight to compete. 149 is definitely not a problem. Beard was an AA and Kerkvliet came off the couch to AA. Howard looked great and was sitting next to Kerkvliet 😂. 157 and 165 will shake out. That was Joe’s first full season and it was short. Our team gets better every week and we didn’t have many weeks. Some guys need to grow and we will be fine.
How dare you bring the voice of reason to this board!? 😉🤪

giphy.gif

Not to mention that I doubt we have much to offer in the way of scholarship money to give out.

Reactions: flaglerlion
I just really hope Berge is back and can make it through a whole season. He looked great, probably the best I ever remember seeing him, right up to the injury.

"Came off the couch." 🤣

Reactions: diggerpup
Love the insight from Mr. Brooks. We now know that Iowa is all in again for next year! One last run, I guess, because after 2022 they really empty out. PSU will have to figure 149, 157, and 165 out in order to match. Iowa has 125 as their only "for sure" assuming SLee comes back from knee injuries. 133 and 141 are a PSU slight edge but never secure. A Bartlett, Baraclough, and JLee trio in the middle will struggle against Murin, Young, and Marinelli. Slight edge to PSU at 174-285.... so it comes down to the middle of the line-up. Let the games begin.

Good time to ask opinions about the transfer portal in general. Before any of the transfers started due to new rules in 2018, it was discussed on this forum. I can find the thread if you want.

Anyway, what are your thoughts now? Has it changed the landscape at all? My opinion is that the rule change has had a minimal effect on college wrestling.

Reactions: tabenn
Good time to ask opinions about the transfer portal in general. Before any of the transfers started due to new rules in 2018, it was discussed on this forum. I can find the thread if you want.

Anyway, what are your thoughts now? Has it changed the landscape at all? My opinion is that the rule change has had a minimal effect on college wrestling.
Well it did give Iowa a National Championship rather than 5 in a row for PSU.

I realize how naive this sounds, but I really wish the names in the portal wouldn't leak out.

I fully support the portal and its aim to allow student-athletes to explore their options. But, as seen with the Dean situation and the fact that Gabe felt it was necessary to address it directly, it can lead to some (what I would consider) sh*tty situations.

Especially in a sport with limited scholarships, I don't blame these guys at all for looking around and making sure they're in the best situation for them.

Yep. Credit to Iowa for going gout and getting the difference makers that put them over the top of psu. Hopefully next year we step up at the weights that cost us. Or, perhaps a transfer or 2?

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
This is intended as exploratory and not contrarian, I promise...

Could a case be made that, with the deck still mostly stacked against student athletes (NIL blocks, schollies being functionally only 1-year at a time, power largely held by institutions and coaches), it might be in the best interest of ALL student athletes to fully take advantage of the latest transfer rules (a slight power gain back toward the students) by entering the Transfer Portal like, every year?

What if every student athlete treated the Portal like posting a resume to a job board? Take a flyer, see what's out there, test the markets? Always Be Selling, but with your own talents.

I'm not sure if the new rules had any effect on Iowa's transfers.
I'm with Cali. Lee, Murin, Young, Marinelli, Kemerer, Brands, Warner and Cass have been at Iowa their whole careers. Eierman was a grad transfer, which has been a thing for a very long time. And DeSanto was given a full release by Drexel. Where did the NEW transfer rules help Iowa?

Reactions: donboy6499
I'm with Cali. Lee, Murin, Young, Marinelli, Kemerer, Brands, Warner and Cass have been at Iowa their whole careers. Eierman was a grad transfer, which has been a thing for a very long time. And DeSanto was given a full release by Drexel. Where did the NEW transfer rules help Iowa?
Well, I believe the difference was 14.5 points. How many did Eirman have?

Could a case be made that, with the deck still mostly stacked against student athletes (NIL blocks, schollies being functionally only 1-year at a time, power largely held by institutions and coaches), it might be in the best interest of ALL student athletes to fully take advantage of the latest transfer rules (a slight power gain back toward the students) by entering the Transfer Portal like, every year?

What if every student athlete treated the Portal like posting a resume to a job board? Take a flyer, see what's out there, test the markets? Always Be Selling, but with your own talents.
You think it is a good ideas for juniors and seniors, who should be close to graduating, to threaten to switch schools every year? At some point, academic considerations need to be addressed, particularly for sports where the student-athlete will not be earning millions in their sport.
It would also make it easier for coaches to deny them scholarship money if they enter the portal. Look at Coach Franklin with football. He has openly stated that if you enter the portal you may not have a spot to come back to.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Interesting that Max Dean entered the transfer portal
This isn’t a surprise. You will likely see more coming from the Ivies. They can’t wrestle as grad students but while going to school this year, they didn’t lose eligibility. Unless the Ivies allow it for a year...those graduating are going to go somewhere. Max has 2 years of eligibility.

This isn’t a surprise. You will likely see more coming from the Ivies. They can’t wrestle as grad students but while going to school this year, they didn’t lose eligibility. Unless the Ivies allow it for a year...those graduating are going to go somewhere. Max has 2 years of eligibility.
All current Ivy Seniors are allowed to wrestle as grad students next year, as a one time exception. Of course, for most the grad school application deadlines had long since passed (and at least the Princeton grad schools have said "too bad" to their seniors).

Let me add that there are very few Ivy League wrestlers who have any intention of maxing out their eligibility by doing a grad school year. First, it's really expensive. Second, there just aren't that many really good Ivy wrestlers outside of Cornell and Princeton (a smattering at Penn and other schools). Cornell only has one previous starting guy who is a senior (Adam Santoro, who wouldn't be starting next year in any case), and he entered the portal in November, before the grad school exception was given.

There's also the "four in five" rule that asks guys to use their eligibility in five years after matriculating. They've allowed that to be extended to "four in six" due to the lost 2020-2021 pandemic year, with the permission of the associated school. It's not clear to me that Max Dean would have two more years of eligibility at Cornell: one grey shirt, two eligibility years, one ORS (not recognized by the Ivy League), and one pandemic year. (edit) Dean probably took two Leave of Absence years, so he likely still will have his two years of eligibility, assuming he gets that 5th year waiver.

Similarly for Vito, whose greyshirt/eligibility/ORS/pandemic leaves him only two years of eligibility at Cornell but three NCAA years. Yianni can do the "four in six" since he wrestled as a true freshman. Darmstadt was enrolled this year (as a junior?), and I *believe* that he doesn't lose an eligibility year; he'll still need a medical hardship waiver to recover that injury year after his freshman year.

Of course, I could be totally off base. It's really, really complicated. I will ask Rob Koll on the Big Red Forum if he has any answers (and also about the status of the class of 2019 (Ramirez, Fernandes, Foca) and what happened to the class of 2020 (Greg Diakomihalis, etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: Afw6006
All current Ivy Seniors are allowed to wrestle as grad students next year, as a one time exception. Of course, for most the grad school application deadlines had long since passed (and at least the Princeton grad schools have said "too bad" to their seniors).
Yep. I should have said that, though I didn’t know Princeton said that. Dang.

This years seniors is just one group. Those coming after will be looking for a home for a year....and maybe more than one.

Why are you peeing in my Wheaties? I like my story better.

Great question. I'll be honest, I hated the idea because I thought it would help other programs more than it would PSU. Cael is such a great recruiter, my thinking was PSU wont need to go to the portal much if any at all. Guess I thought It evened the playing field out a bit. Now that I think about it though, this isnt about me or fans in general. It's about what's best for the student athlete. In my opinion, it a good thing for them for a variety of reasons.

Reactions: crazyazn
Sometimes a transfer is just what a student athlete needs....a fresh start, a change in direction, and new focus.

Functionally, schools still hold one major card: they don't have to accept transfer credits beyond their stated policies. Most (all?) of which vaguely say we'll evaluate your courses for transfer eligibility -- and you might be enrolled in classes here before we deliver a verdict.

(Full disclosure: this happened to a co-worker. He worked in DC and was enrolled in night school for his MS. Got a new job in Philly with 2 classes left. DC school wouldn't let him complete the degree remotely or in person on weekends. Philly school accepted only 1 semester of transfer credits. He had to repeat over half of his classes. Fortunately our employer has a generous education program -- he only had to pay taxes. But it cost him a lot of time, over a couple years.)

So freshman and graduating senior athletes, maybe sophomores aren't impacted. JR/SR at risk of adding semesters or years to repeat classes.

At which point it likely becomes a negotiation: we'll work with admissions and academic depts but you get less money.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp
Why are you peeing in my Wheaties? I like my story better.
It isn't the transfer portal that helped Iowa finally win another championship. Adding DeSanto and Eierman is like having 2 recruiting classes. Brands has never won a championship outright without a double recruiting class.

I haven't been on HR for quite a while, but I think a good HR topic would be why can't TnT win without double recruiting classes. JT, maybe you could start a discussion.

It isn't the transfer portal that helped Iowa finally win another championship. Adding DeSanto and Eierman is like having 2 recruiting classes. Brands has never won a championship outright without a double recruiting class.

I haven't been on HR for quite a while, but I think a good HR topic would be why can't TnT win without double recruiting classes. JT, maybe you could start a discussion.
Make sure you tag Matter on that thread. He might like that topic even more than Rutgers.

You think it is a good ideas for juniors and seniors, who should be close to graduating, to threaten to switch schools every year? At some point, academic considerations need to be addressed, particularly for sports where the student-athlete will not be earning millions in their sport.
It would also make it easier for coaches to deny them scholarship money if they enter the portal. Look at Coach Franklin with football. He has openly stated that if you enter the portal you may not have a spot to come back to.

Franklin doesn't have that power. BIG scholarships have been for four years since 2014. See link.

Reactions: Diego Badman
Franklin doesn't have that power. BIG scholarships have been for four years since 2014. See link.

I believe he does. I believe once you place your name in the portal, you have technically relenquished your scholarship and your previous school can re-allocate it. Which makes sense. I get improving the rights of the student athlete (I use that loosely for football and hoops), however the school should not have to wait to see if the athlete gets a better offer from another school.

I believe he does. I believe once you place your name in the portal, you have technically relenquished your scholarship and your previous school can re-allocate it. Which makes sense. I get improving the rights of the student athlete (I use that loosely for football and hoops), however the school should not have to wait to see if the athlete gets a better offer from another school.
This is how it works. Once in the portal, all bets are off at the current school. If you are a stud or really good, probably doesn't matter, the coach would likely hold a scholarship. If you're replaceable? You'll probably be replaced in the interim.

I know for sure we are adding one grad transfer from the portal - I don't think he's listed on FLO because he went in the portal LAST year. Not at the weights most are talking about and one of our NCs is either going to have to RS or move up (which would cause another unexpected RS) for him to compete outside of opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT