ADVERTISEMENT

1988 NCAA Champs

This photo popped up on FB from the "I Wrestled in PA" group.

Proof that wrestling existed in Pennsylvania at least as early as 1988. ;)
Arizona St won the team title that year with 7 AA’s and no champions.

118 Zeke Jones 6th
126 Chip Park 3rd
134 NP
142 Thom Ortiz 4th
150 NP
158 Dan St John 3rd
167 Jim Gressley 3rd
177 NP
190 Mike Davies 2nd
275 Rod Severn 5th

118 Zeke Jones 6th
126 Chip Park 3rd
134 NP
142 Thom Ortiz 4th
150 NP
158 Dan St John 3rd
167 Jim Gressley 3rd
177 NP
190 Mike Davies 2nd
275 Rod Severn 5th
Only 7 scoring wrestlers?? Wow

Jimmy Martin is still one of my favorite PSU wrestlers of all time. A bunch of guys on those teams from the mid-80s were great to watch. I wrestled Rob Koll at least once in junior high school. I guess I have bragging rights because he didn't totally roll me and embarrass me (although he did win).

118 Zeke Jones 6th
126 Chip Park 3rd
134 NP
142 Thom Ortiz 4th
150 NP
158 Dan St John 3rd
167 Jim Gressley 3rd
177 NP
190 Mike Davies 2nd
275 Rod Severn 5th
And less than 90 points.

This photo popped up on FB from the "I Wrestled in PA" group.

Proof that wrestling existed in Pennsylvania at least as early as 1988. ;)
The bookends ,Cuvo and Haselrig were truly unique athletes.
I knew Cuvo a little bit. People are familiar with his wrestling credentials but might not know a couple of other details. He was arguably the best take down wrestler in PA high school history. In addition to winning 3 State titles , he was a phenomenal cross country runner winning 3 District 11 titles and I believe finishing 3rd in States a few times. In college he won 2 Nationals in wrestling. Could of maybe won another one but couldn't beat Bonomo from Bloomsburg. He also was All American in cross country in college.
The Haselrig story is pretty well known. I remember being at States and getting a program and seeing his name with like 6 matches and wondering what that was about. His High School dropped the wrestling program and he petitioned PIAA to wrestle. Goes on to win State title. Then wins 3 Division 2 titles which qualifies him for NCAA s . Wins 3 National Division 1 titles. Goes on to become All Pro in football for Steelers after not playing football since highschool. Truly amazing.

Last edited:
The bookends ,Cuvo and Haselrig were truly unique athletes.
I knew Cuvo a little bit because his sister dated a friend of mine from Bangor. People are familiar with his wrestling credentials but might not know a couple of other details. He was arguably the best take down wrestler in PA high school history. In addition to winning 3 State titles , he was a phenomenal cross country runner winning 3 District 11 titles and I believe finishing 3rd in States a few times. In college he won 2 Nationals in wrestling. Could of maybe won another one but couldn't beat Bonomo from Bloomsburg. He also was All American in cross country in college.
The Haselrig story is pretty well known. I remember being at States and getting a program and seeing his name with like 6 matches and wondering what that was about. His High School dropped the wrestling program and he petitioned PIAA to wrestle. Goes on to win State title. Then wins 3 Division 2 titles which qualifies him for NCAA s . Wins 3 National Division 1 titles. Goes on to become All Pro in football for Steelers after not playing football since highschool. Truly amazing.
A lot of people had trouble with Ricky Bonomo, including Jimmy Martin.

Reactions: Callthestall
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT