ADVERTISEMENT

133 Transfer - DeSanto?

I would pay to see the boxing matches in practice between De Luca and De Santo.

This one really has me on the fence.
Back in November with his pace and thurst for bonus I thought he would have been a great fit for us, and wondered why he went to Drexel in the first place with us with such a big hole at 125/133.
Then when I saw him vs top elite talent there is a big gap, entertaining yes, capable of ever beating Spencer again, not buy a long shot
Autism or just a screw lose - who is to know, how would we know?
Cael probably the best possible mentor/coach to get him to his ultimate potential - definitely.
Brands might bring out the worst in him - possible, it might be fun to watch that play out, another Gilman.
Where will he fit in our roster after 2018/2019 - I don't see it. Is RBY waivering?
Can we afford him with other needs out there like McHenry, Starocci, Ferrari, Bartlett.. a couple of years away - maybe
Will he be a positive influence for the room - hard to say..

From my POV he would have been awesome to have on our team last year but I am not convinced this would prove to be a net positive going forward. I think he has more of an Iowa temperament, or better yet Rutgers 141. I hope he never repeats the garbage he pulled in the quarters. I am open to that being a one time aberration and with the right environment he will mature and become top 4. I do love watching his matches, top 10 most entertaining in the nation. For PSU I think that ship has sailed, we should pass. After the NJ debaccle I think Cael is going to be pretty careful with character and the kid behind the talent. Cael might just have reached out to him as a courtesy when asked or to provide some guidance. I trust Cael and if it came to pass we take him, Austin will have my full support. If we used my decision process on recruits we probably wouldn't have won any championships, and our kids under Cael have represented the University very well.

WildTurk, your post shows how little you know of Penn State Wrestling. As we are an Agricultural school, Cael would take a bouquet of flowers not a box of chocolates

Cael is not Forrest Gump.

Reactions: dbldoofus
Here's how it could work out w/ Desanto at 141.

125- Teasdale
133- RBY
141- Desanto
149- Berge/Verk
RS- Teske, N. Lee

125- Teske
133- RBY
141- Desanto
149- N. Lee
157- Berge/Verk
RS- Teasdale, Busiello

125- Teske/Teasdale
133- Teasdale/Busiello
141- Desanto
149- N. Lee
157- Berge/Verk
RS- RBY

125- Teske/Teasdale
133- Teasdale/Busiello
141- RBY
149- N Lee
157- Berge/Verk

Penn State fans can't say shit about us trying to take in a problem child when Cael was the first person at DeSanto's door with a box of chocolates. Just thought I'd point that out before the crap comes pouring in.

We can say whatever we want. For starters, there is no comparison between Austin DeSanto and Pat Downey. One of them is an actual criminal and drug addict. The other is Austin DeSanto.

What he did at NCAAs was reprehensible, but the idea that he is even remotely comparable to the lunatic, and human scumbag PDIII is ridiculous.

Here's how it could work out w/ Desanto at 141.

125- Teasdale
133- RBY
141- Desanto
149- Berge/Verk
RS- Teske, N. Lee

125- Teske
133- RBY
141- Desanto
149- N. Lee
157- Berge/Verk
RS- Teasdale, Busiello

125- Teske/Teasdale
133- Teasdale/Busiello
141- Desanto
149- N. Lee
157- Berge/Verk
RS- RBY

125- Teske/Teasdale
133- Teasdale/Busiello
141- RBY
149- N Lee
157- Berge/Verk

If I had my way I would want AD to Rs his first year. Get used to the room, campus being away from home. If he doesn't fit he splits no harm no foul.

Other than that if 141 is his place and not 133 at all, then the inn just looks too full.

Reactions: Gebmo and LemonPie
If I had my way I would want AD to Rs his first year. Get used to the room, campus being away from home. If he doesn't fit he splits no harm no foul.

Other than that if 141 is his place and not 133 at all, then the inn just looks too full.
Agree. Desanto RS first year with Lee in the lineup.

Reactions: matter7172
Agree. Desanto RS first year with Lee in the lineup.

I am intrigued with the idea of Lee RS and Austin Start for 141 next year. Lee's biggest challenge is strength at the elite level and another year would help especially if there is any hint of 149 in his future as well. Not much of a drop off for next year in points and I believe Lee's ceiling is higher if he is developed properly. Just a thought.

We can say whatever we want. For starters, there is no comparison between Austin DeSanto and Pat Downey. One of them is an actual criminal and drug addict. The other is Austin DeSanto.

What he did at NCAAs was reprehensible, but the idea that he is even remotely comparable to the lunatic, and human scumbag PDIII is ridiculous.

Agreed. What happened at NCAAs was beyond wrong. IMO it warranted disqualification from the tournament. If I were his parent I would have made him apologize privately to Micic, and later have him put out a statement publicly acknowledging why what he did was wrong. This one moment should not define him forever.

Downey on the other hand has had multiple opportunities to get things right in his "career." He has proven to be a legit degenerate who's actions have hurt more people than just himself. The idea that anyone can put these two people in the same category, regardless of their affiliation, is misguided to say the least.

Last edited:
Reactions: seminnylion
DeSanto's conduct isn't a one time deal at NCAA's. There was some dirty stuff going on during a loss at EIWA's against Cornell.

DeSanto's conduct isn't a one time deal at NCAA's. There was some dirty stuff going on during a loss at EIWA's against Cornell.
This isn’t the only incident of this sort of bullshit from him either. A couple weeks before, he was losing to Cornell’s Chaz Tucker at the EIWA Championships. Tucker took a shot and got his head between Desanto’s legs and Desanto got frustrated, reached over Tucker’s back and grabbed his leg, turned the toe outwards and started pulling against Tucker’s knee joint. After the ref stopped the action for potentially dangerous, Desanto blatantly gave it an extra reef-job, clearly trying to injure Tucker
The ref wound up penalizing him a point for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Some AZ poster on themat keeps saying RBY is taking an OTC year. Is this true?
I also heard this rumor about a month back and asked the board, nobody could confirm it. However, someone pointed out that he signed his NLI in November and it's not typical for greyshirts to sign an NLI the year prior to their greyshirt, but I don't have any information other than that.

We didn’t really recruit him out of high school........I am not sure anything has changed to make the case now.

My initial thought is that I would be thrilled if he came to PSU but I dont see a fit. I actually think the best fit team and style wise is Iowa. Watching him wrestle reminds me of the Iowa style when they were at their peak. He doesn’t fit at Nebraska with JRent and Chad Red. I actually hope he goes to ASU because I would love to see that team get on the podium sometime soon. If DeSanto truly is going to 141 it changes things a bit. Not as good of a fit at Iowa since one of Murin, Turk, or DeSanto would have to sit. I really really hope he doesn’t go to Rutgers but if he does it’s probably a match made in hell. He definitely won’t get the structure he needs there and I see bad things happening if he ends up at RU. You don’t say no to talent is the phrase I think and I agree but at the same time we don’t have a great spot for him and I would hate to lose a Teasdale, RBY, or Busiello because DeSanto came in. If there is a way to keep everyone and bring him in then I’m all for it. Let them battle each other every day making each other better and put out the best guy.

Reactions: udt012

I caught a replay of Desanto v. Josh Terao (American) from earlier this year and there were at least 2 times where it looked like Desanto was cranking on Terao's ankle in a clearly and unnecessarily dangerous way. Ref didn't call him on either instance but one time Terao had to take an injury timeout. I was surprised Terao was able to finish the match.

I never compared DeSanto to Downey ever. Downey was never a Hawkeye wrestler either.

Not a Downey fan, but a casual drug user is as much a “drug addict” as a guy who has a Widow Jane every evening is an alcoholic. I think you used too broad of a brush here. Not picking a fight, just saying that some friends of mine who smoke weed on the weekend...well... I don’t consider them “drug addicts”.

Reactions: liex26
I never compared DeSanto to Downey ever. Downey was never a Hawkeye wrestler either.

Are you high? That's exactly what you did. You compared Cael going to talk to DeSanto to the Brands trying to bring in Downey. You're out of your mind, dude.

I am intrigued with the idea of Lee RS and Austin Start for 141 next year. Lee's biggest challenge is strength at the elite level and another year would help especially if there is any hint of 149 in his future as well. Not much of a drop off for next year in points and I believe Lee's ceiling is higher if he is developed properly. Just a thought.

Lee is a returning AA with a legit chance to reach the finals next year at 141. DeSanto fell short of AA at 133.

I don't get the wisdom of sitting Lee and wrestling DeSanto. Seems to me a RS would be more beneficial for AS.

Frankly, I don't see Austin improving our room all that much unless he goes 133. Even then, is he that much better than RBY?

If he wants to come. and if Cael wants him ... okay ... fine.

Apparently Asperger's is a "sub-type" of autism, on the high functioning end of the spectrum. That's if we're allowed to discuss this type of thing on this board.:oops:

https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/asperger-syndrome

I don't think this is a safe subject for this board. But it does remind me of a camping trip we had a few years back where our ground beef stayed out in the sun to long. I made the whole family 1/2 pound patties with all the fixings. 2 hours later we all came down with ass burgers syndrom. Terrible but it is treatable.

And all y’all (sorry. I spent the weekend in NC and am picking up some southern slang. Maybe I should say yinz or youse, hayna?) are a bad influence on me. I went out and got myself a bottle. Youse have expensive taste.

Well have you seen Goldbangers suit and pimp cane? For me it was a splurge to celebrate us winning!

Reactions: jtothemfp
Are you high? That's exactly what you did. You compared Cael going to talk to DeSanto to the Brands trying to bring in Downey. You're out of your mind, dude.
I was strictly talking about about DeSanto. You have reading comprehension problems. Go back and read my original post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT