ADVERTISEMENT

“Their QB was good” (Pry needs to step it up)

In the final analysis, we need to fire Pry and Smith, so we can bring in new coaches to fire, so that we can bring in new coaches....

Reactions: Roswell-Blue
In the final analysis, we need to fire Pry and Smith, so we can bring in new coaches to fire, so that we can bring in new coaches....

How about pry does a better job? Can you explain why his defense makes 2* qbs look like hall of famers?

And he did it with 2/3*s.

We outrecruited him for about 40 of 42 players with common offers. Should The pitt games be close?

This year was close. We beat them by 19 in 2017 and by 45 in 2018. Do you consider those close scores?

Reactions: acg116
I’m sooooooo tired of everyone saying this, the days following a game!
Our Defense has a way to make average QBs have career days!
No, their QB wasn’t good!
Our DC refuses to play man/press man defense!
He, instead, chooses to play soft, soft, soft, soft, pu$$y zone defense, allowing opposing defenses to SHRED our secondary!
Pitt sucks, BUT......
Narduzzi would play a press-man over Memphis, and they have maybe 230 yards passing, maybe!
I’m soooooo sick and tired of our defense getting LIT UP by a QB who wouldn’t sniff any current top 15 teams 3-deep!
Sorry, but if Pry doesn’t make VAST improvements to our pu$$y zone D, we’ll perennially be on the outside looking in, for any meaningful bowl game!
It is very daunting to criticize any aspect of the current team, as someone will always counter with: 'but what about'. And that ends a reasonable statement of concern. The fact is that the play of the secondary has been suspect all year, whether because of personnel or design. And, I think it is time to figure out why. That is not an outrageous thought. If we don't get pressure from the front four or with blitz packages (Parsons), we become vulnerable with what seems to be a soft zone. Come on guys, so often the opposing receiver had no one near him to challenge. It would really be interesting if the new OC can tell Pry and Franklin what he saw that led to the passing attack of Minnesota. It is not a sin to wonder about your team. Praise the good (Brown, Parsons) and express concern about that which appears to be not so good.

Reactions: THEEHMANN
Agree. In our two losses to MSU we made a very average QB look like Tom Brady in the 4th quarter. It seems like we bet on the WB being blind and with a broken arm. Our guys never get open while our defense is never within 3 yds when a catch is made. My opinion is this is at Franklin’s orders.

And he did it with 2/3*s.

We outrecruited him for about 40 of 42 players with common offers. Should The pitt games be close?

Yep, there is some superior scheme out there that PSU coaches just don’t know about or are afraid to run.o_O

The recent 4 game series had PSU scoring 140 points and Pitt scoring 72... one of those games was a loss. I think PSU is doing just fine.

“We”... What position do you coach?

Yep, there is some superior scheme out there that PSU coaches just don’t know about or are afraid to run.o_O

The recent 4 game series had PSU scoring 140 points and Pitt scoring 72... one of those games was a loss. I think PSU is doing just fine.

“We”... What position do you coach?

Like I said: "But what about!" There is always one and you are it.

Can’t say we don’t have good enough talent. Might not be all studs but It’s better defensive talent than anyone Memphis played this year.

Pass rush is lacking and safeties really struggle with coverage. Wade, brisker, Sutherland and Taylor are all physical guys, all of them have made mistakes in zone coverage. Corners have a chance to be good, young guys look great.

Reactions: mn78psu83

The simple point is many here go straight to blaming the coaches when we have no idea what is really going on. What we see during a game is not the whole story. We don’t see practices. We don’t hear what the coaches are instructing the players (and why) versus what the players are doing. The bottom line is we are in no position to draw a definitive conclusion as to what the issues are.

Your next positive post will be your first.

It is indisputable that things surrounding the Penn State football program are overwhelmingly positive. Not perfect, of course. But no one tries to make that argument. But overwhelmingly positive. So why should we expect that the negative, pessimistic posts like yours and the positive, optimistic posts be 50/50? There is so much more to be optimistic about that the the pessimistic posts should be the exception and should be viewed with a skeptical eye given the overall direction of the program.

The simple point is many here go straight to blaming the coaches when we have no idea what is really going on. What we see during a game is not the whole story. We don’t see practices. We don’t hear what the coaches are instructing the players (and why) versus what the players are doing. The bottom line is we are in no position to draw a definitive conclusion as to what the issues are.
This is a fair point and a reason I don’t typically go nuts about the coaches. I just don’t study the games enough to know what the game plan is and whether it’s more a lack of execution or just bad game planning. I know there are posters on here who do re-watch the games and have coached at various levels that would be able to offer up solid analysis. I would love to hear from them.
It seemed to me that we blitzed less this year than in the past. I’m not sure if that’s true, but that’s how it felt to me. We seemed to be playing more of a scheme we are more used to seeing as Penn State fans where we give up the short stuff in the passing game and force the opponent to execute all the way down the field to score points while not giving up much on the ground. The problem seemed to be that teams were able to hit big plays against this. So the defense seemed to bending and breaking.

Reactions: nits74 and Madsol
This year was close. We beat them by 19 in 2017 and by 45 in 2018. Do you consider those close scores?

No. 2 out of 4 were not close. Do you think the other 2 out of 4 were good games? If we outrecruit a team for 40 out of 42 players, should a game be close? The staff needs to do more than recruit.

No shit, Of course there is a talent issue, but do you think our D staff knows everything they are doing wrong? I mean hell, I believe it was someone from Minn D that told Hamler a tell he was doing? Hamler and O staff did not recognize or know this until an opposing player told him? So don’t f n act like our new OC can’t come in a give our D staff one or two holy shit learning moments from watching film, because I am sure there will be a few. You aren’t normally an asshole poster so don’t act like a condescending asshole one now.
Where have you been? This is his new normal.

Reactions: RGWhirly
I’m sooooooo tired of everyone saying this, the days following a game!
Our Defense has a way to make average QBs have career days!
No, their QB wasn’t good!
Our DC refuses to play man/press man defense!
He, instead, chooses to play soft, soft, soft, soft, pu$$y zone defense, allowing opposing defenses to SHRED our secondary!
Pitt sucks, BUT......
Narduzzi would play a press-man over Memphis, and they have maybe 230 yards passing, maybe!
I’m soooooo sick and tired of our defense getting LIT UP by a QB who wouldn’t sniff any current top 15 teams 3-deep!
Sorry, but if Pry doesn’t make VAST improvements to our pu$$y zone D, we’ll perennially be on the outside looking in, for any meaningful bowl game!
EVERY QB is good against us!:eek:

I believe we have the athletes at CB, especially with Donovan Johnson returning and Ellis, Gordon and Wilson with a year of playing significantly. I am not as sure about safety. I am wondering if TCF would be better off at FS, but moving a guy in his final year often isn’t a good idea.
As far as scheme and assignments, there appeared to be significant confusion at times to my untrained eye. A lot of the blitzes resulted in big plays because they left large voids, especially in the middle of the field without getting to the QB. The other thing that was frustrating is that our pass rush, whether a blitz or not, often ended up taking many of our players completely out of the play. Edge speed rushers have their place, but sometimes it is good to have DE’s who can actually collapse the pocket.

Reactions: THEEHMANN
I believe we have the athletes at CB, especially with Donovan Johnson returning and Ellis, Gordon and Wilson with a year of playing significantly. I am not as sure about safety. I am wondering if TCF would be better off at FS, but moving a guy in his final year often isn’t a good idea.
As far as scheme and assignments, there appeared to be significant confusion at times to my untrained eye. A lot of the blitzes resulted in big plays because they left large voids, especially in the middle of the field without getting to the QB. The other thing that was frustrating is that our pass rush, whether a blitz or not, often ended up taking many of our players completely out of the play. Edge speed rushers have their place, but sometimes it is good to have DE’s who can actually collapse the pocket.
I am hoping Tarburton will be the type of DE who can collapse the pocket if he regains his health.

For each QB PSU faced this year:
How did the PSU D do against them, vs how the QB did overall for the year:

QB/Team QB Rating for Season / QB Rating vs PSU

PSU D did "better than other teams"
PSU D did "worse than other teams"

Petrino/Idaho 134.8 QB Rating for Season / 117.3 QB Rating vs PSU
Myers/Buffalo 106.1 / 122.2
Pickett/Pitt 122.4 / 129.9

Jackson/Maryland 112.4 / 54.6
Plummer/Purdue 124.0 / 97.4
Stanley/Iowa 131.2 / 117
Patterson/Michigan 143.9 / 110.2
Lewerke/MSU 125.9 / 81.9

Morgan/Minnesota 180.4 / 281.9
Ramsey/Indiana 152.6 / 159.7

Fields/OSU 181.4 / 174.5
Langan/RU 91.7 / 107.4
White/Memphis 165.0 / 129.7

So..... Better than average against 8 QBs :

Idaho, Maryland, Purdue, Iowa, Michigan, MSU, OSU, and Memphis (YES, Memphis QB had a poorer performance against PSU than his average for the year)

Worse than average against 5 QBs:

Buffalo, Pitt, Minnesota (CRAZY numbers for Morgan), Indiana, and Rutgres

One can debate their own "conclusions", "cause/effect theories", etc...… but when one ignores the facts in creating those hypotheses, the result - as with most sports "debate" - is pure garbage (aka... "Your shits all retarded" :) )

Couple REASONABLE observations:

1) ONE crappy team (RU) had a better than average passing performance against PSU (Of course, that was a game largely against an uninspired PSU 2nd string)

2) Tanner Morgan's performance was bat-shit crazy (which I think we all knew)

3) Against the BEST teams - including OSU, UM, and Memphis (YES, Memphis) PSU's D held the opponent to less than their typical QB performance...…. that's just a fact.

None of that means PSU doesn't need to continually work to upgrade their performance in pass D..... and it doesn't specifically conclude WHY the pass D was as good, or as bad, as it was.....
But those are facts that would point a reasonably intelligent and observant person in a couple directions with respect to where to start to look.

FWIW: All of the stats taken from the ESPN website:
eg:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/3893630/brady-white
That’s interesting stuff Norman, thanks for the stats.
Those stats in mind, is the reality that our expectations were too high? Or is it possible that the defense underachieved ?

It is what it is.

I don't know what any particular person's "expectations" were..... and I wouldn't even venture to try to define "underachieved" vs "overachieved".... but what I do KNOW (what anyone who actually looks at facts would know), is:

1) That PSU's pass defense was - more or less - average among their peers in the B10. Which certainly leaves room for improvement (and shows that things could have, just as easily, been worse)

2) That PSU - more often than not - does NOT allow opposing QBs to have "career games" (or even "career average" games)

and

3) Most of the comments in this thread? Well, "Their shit is (FACTUALLY) retarded" :)
I felt like the defense this year would be better than it did. My own expectations may be been unrealistic. I’m not sold on Pry yet.

Last edited:
I am hoping Tarburton will be the type of DE who can collapse the pocket if he regains his health.
Yeah, I really liked what I saw from him in the spring games. JF did give him a positive mention recently for his work with the scout team, but he did not play versus Rutgers or Memphis.
YGM can collapse the pocket, but he was definitely not 100% for much of the season.
It just seems like a lot of our rushers and blitzers get taken so far wide and deep that they are effectively eliminated from plays and the QB is then able to move laterally without pressure.

Yeah, I really liked what I saw from him in the spring games. JF did give him a positive mention recently for his work with the scout team, but he did not play versus Rutgers or Memphis.
YGM can collapse the pocket, but he was definitely not 100% for much of the season.
It just seems like a lot of our rushers and blitzers get taken so far wide and deep that they are effectively eliminated from plays and the QB is then able to move laterally without pressure.
Seemed like Gross Matos lined up inside on the more obvious passing downs.

Over the last four years, Penn State's defense has ranked (among P5 teams):

27th in 2016
6th in 2017
13th in 2018
and 8th in 2019

Whether that meets your expectations is up to you.

FWIW:
In two years under Shoop they were

4th in 2014
and 16th in 2015

In the O'Brien Years they were

10th in 2012
and 33rd in 2013

The last two years of Paterno:

5th and 36th

FWIW... another tidbit:

In 2016 and 2017 PSU ranked higher in offense than it did in defense
2016: 11th vs 27th
2017: 4th vs 6th
The 2 Moorhead years, of course

That has only happened one other time (2005... 8th in offense, 10th in defense) in the last twenty+ years. (I stopped looking once I got back to the 20th century for stats)

As I said, my expectations may be too high. I find myself frustrated watching the defense more than the those stats would seem to call for.

He's been doing that for the last two years.
More this year than last year though? It seemed to be the case to me. I would rather have had him coming off the edge with somebody else at DT than any of the other DEs coming off the edge with him inside.

Over the last four years, Penn State's defense has ranked (among P5 teams):

27th in 2016
6th in 2017
13th in 2018
and 8th in 2019

Whether that meets your expectations is up to you.

FWIW:
In two years under Shoop they were

4th in 2014
and 16th in 2015

In the O'Brien Years they were

10th in 2012
and 33rd in 2013

The last two years of Paterno:

5th and 36th

FWIW... another tidbit:

In 2016 and 2017 PSU ranked higher in offense than it did in defense
2016: 11th vs 27th
2017: 4th vs 6th
The 2 Moorhead years, of course

That has only happened one other time (2005... 8th in offense, 10th in defense) in the last twenty+ years. (I stopped looking once I got back to the 20th century for stats)
I do not doubt your stats and I am sure that the lack of ball control from Rahne’s offense left the d on the field too long but this is not a defense that can realistically compete at a playoff level. Not enough push on the d line and other than some great games from wade the dbs have a dazed look to them.

I thought PSU was a 7 point favorite. They won by 14. It's never good enough for but.... fanboys. They can't even win gracefully.
You can be happy giving up 40 points to marginal bowl teams all you want. Doesn’t mean I have to be. I think both coordinators needed to go. One down, one left. And I’m the furthest thing from a fan boy.

I think both coordinators needed to go. One down, one left. And I’m the furthest thing from a fan boy.
Others think so as well. Ted Roof is listed as Penn State’s DC per his wiki bio.

Terrence Edwin Roof Jr. (born December 11, 1963) is an American football coach and former player. who is currently the defensive coordinator for the Penn State Nittany Lions. Who was formaly the defensive coordinator at Appalachian State from 2019 to 2020.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Roof

• You can be happy giving up 40 points to marginal bowl teams all you w+ant. Doesn’t mean I have to be. I think both coordinators needed to go. One down, one left. And I’m the furthest thing from a fan boy.
Why stop w/ coordinators?
These are CJF hires . Why cut off the tail? Get some balls and go after the boss! No excuse for 11-2.

Reactions: GoldRiver
A) No (you can check the snap counts if you want to)
B) I reckon' the staff would rather have SMiller/Toney/YGM (or, this year, Toney/Oweh/YGM as pass rushers), as opposed to replacing one of them with Windsor or Shelton or whomever at DT..... but I reckon' that's a personal decision. FWIW: Most other high-level teams - including OSU and UMich - do the same (move a DE inside to get 3 or 4 DEs in the game on uber-long yardage)
I get that, I just don’t agree with. At least in regards to Penn State this year. Gross Matos had the ability to push the tackles back into the pocket that the others at end didn’t have. They were either getting there with speed or not getting there at all.

Reactions: 83wuzme
That’s interesting stuff Norman, thanks for the stats.
Those stats in mind, is the reality that our expectations were too high? Or is it possible that the defense underachieved ?
"Is the reality that our expectations were too high?" Please, no metaphysical moments on a football board ☺.
1. Do we define our own expectations?
2. Does JF set them?
3. Does the sports media?
4. Recruiting experts?
5. The team's performance?
6. Passing / not passing eye tests?
7. Or hope springs eternal?

Who nows? But I agree with stormingnorm's point that it's simply too personal to define. I do think that JF could help himself with much of the fan base if he tempered expectations a bit in his public comments like Joe did and let the results speak for themselves - for good or ill. His strength and gift is an openness to the public and media that does not serve him well when expectations are not met. Or even when they are! Sometimes it feels like he's almost too nice and accommodating in a profession that will eat you alive and where the demands are insatiable.

Others think so as well. Ted Roof is listed as Penn State’s DC per his wiki bio.

Terrence Edwin Roof Jr. (born December 11, 1963) is an American football coach and former player. who is currently the defensive coordinator for the Penn State Nittany Lions. Who was formaly the defensive coordinator at Appalachian State from 2019 to 2020.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Roof
Of course wiki had at least two other guys as PSU OC before KC

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT