ADVERTISEMENT

“Study shows less than 1% of COVID-positive college athletes developed heart issues”

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
See the link below. From the article:

“A study released Saturday examining more than 3,000 college athletes who had COVID-19 found so few instances of heart-related issues that future cardiac testing might be used only for athletes with certain symptoms.

In the study, published in the American Heart Association's journal, Circulation, researchers found signs of possible, probable or definite myocarditis, or heart inflammation, in 21 of 3,018 athletes (0.7%) who had tested positive for COVID-19. It also showed that athletes with heart issues were more likely to have had moderate COVID-19 and/or cardiopulmonary symptoms.”

Please take this opportunity to remember that kevin warren cares more. 🥰

Reactions: blmr31 and bison13
I notice that there was no reference to the frequency of "signs of possible, probable or definite myocarditis" in student athlete's that hadn't contacted covid. Wouldn't it be significant to compare the subject data to a control group? Without knowing the frequency of "signs of possible, probable or definite myocarditis" in student athlete's that hadn't caught covid the data is (IMO) absolutely worthless.

Many viruses have myocardial damage as a potential risk . The following list of viruses associated with myocarditis includes adenovirus, and Influenza type B. Thank goodness it is an infrequent occurrence.
Viral
Adenovirus, Arbovirus, Arenavirus, Coxsackie virus, Epstein–Barr virus, Cytomegalovirus, Echovirus, Encephalomyocarditis virus, Hepatitis B, Human Herpes virus 6, Human immunodeficiency virus-1, Influenza virus B, Mumps virus, Parvovirus B19, Poliomyelitis virus, Rabies, Respiratory syncytial virus, Rubella virus, Rubeola virus, Vaccinia virus, Varicella virus, Variola virus

Reactions: blmr31 and CVLion

“A study released Saturday examining more than 3,000 college athletes who had COVID-19 found so few instances of heart-related issues that future cardiac testing might be used only for athletes with certain symptoms.

In the study, published in the American Heart Association's journal, Circulation, researchers found signs of possible, probable or definite myocarditis, or heart inflammation, in 21 of 3,018 athletes (0.7%) who had tested positive for COVID-19. It also showed that athletes with heart issues were more likely to have had moderate COVID-19 and/or cardiopulmonary symptoms.”

But not about his own son apparently..

Reactions: bison13 and 91Joe95
Anyone who believed this was anything but a ploy to stop sports has to consider themselves pretty gullible.

You'd have to believe that this was the most unique virus of all time!!!! Behaves like no other virus.

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95 and blmr31
Anyone who believed this was anything but a ploy to stop sports is just a gullible idiot.

Sorry, there's really no other word to describe you if you believed that.

The most unique virus of all time!!!! Behaves like no other virus.
Because "stopping sports" is a priority of- no one, actually.

Is there no conspiracy theory which some of you people won't embrace?

Because "stopping sports" is a priority of- no one, actually.

Is there no conspiracy theory which some of you people won't embrace?

What was the purpose behind it then? Seriously.

What alternative theory is there?

Oh, I know - you'll just say "they were trying their best and were wrong", but they're wrong in the same direction every single time.

Tell me, given that it was NEVER true, what is the purpose of all these articles:

https://www.bet.com/news/sports/202...id-19-players-heart-problems-coronavirus.html

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...vid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/penn...octor-third-covid-athletes-heart-inflammation

Last edited:
Nitt...."Never get in a discussion with a moron. They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"

Yeah, except I'm a mechanical engineer who graduated at the top of his class.

If you had even an ounce of honesty (which you don't), you'd read through the posts where I've done calculations on the spread of the pandemic, its likely collapse in a month or so, and see if you can understand the mathematics behind it.

Then, if you had even an ounce of honesty, you'd say, "OK, that guy is probably pretty smart".

But if there's one thing I'm sure of, it is that you are simply unable to admit that.

Statistics are of no comfort if your son or daughter(athlete) drops dead of complications from COVID.
Rather than cry conspiracy, perhaps we might conclude that leading medical experts were/are dealing with something that they have little or no experience with....as a result they made some very good decisions and an equal number of mistakes. But, even in dealing with high school sports....everyone is angry. LOL

Reactions: nits74
Statistics are of no comfort if your son or daughter(athlete) drops dead of complications from COVID.
Rather than cry conspiracy, perhaps we might conclude that leading medical experts were/are dealing with something that they have little or no experience with....as a result they made some very good decisions and an equal number of mistakes. But, even in dealing with high school sports....everyone is angry. LOL

Honest people do not make their arguments by stretching as far as humanly possible to find a case where a person has been impacted by a disease so they can justify shutting something down.

An honest person would say, "Look, we have anecdotal reports of an issue, we don't know if it's real or not, but we're going to look into it." Then, upon looking into it, they report back (within a week or two because this one was VERY EASY) - "look, we studied it - it appears that the frequency is so low as to be indistinguishable from otherwise healthy people who haven't been infected with Covid."

Further, your argument that "statistics are of no comfort if your son or daughter drops dead...." is not very strong. I can use that argument to keep schools shut forever - because even discounting Covid, schools spread the flu like crazy, and that does kill some reasonable amount of grandmothers (who get it from their grandkids) every year.

I notice that there was no reference to the frequency of "signs of possible, probable or definite myocarditis" in student athlete's that hadn't contacted covid. Wouldn't it be significant to compare the subject data to a control group? Without knowing the frequency of "signs of possible, probable or definite myocarditis" in student athlete's that hadn't caught covid the data is (IMO) absolutely worthless.

Of course it needs to be compared to baselines, such as uninfected persons. Or compared to persons who had gotten the flu or a cold.

In that way, we can then draw conclusions about "how much worse" it is than other circumstances that occur through normal living conditions.

That's what you'd do if you actually wanted to learn something and then educate the general public.

If you had even an ounce of honesty (which you don't), you'd read through the posts where I've done calculations on the spread of the pandemic, its likely collapse in a month or so, and see if you can understand the mathematics behind it.

Then, if you had even an ounce of honesty, you'd say, "OK, that guy is probably pretty smart".

But if there's one thing I'm sure of, it is that you are simply unable to admit that.
So you’re an educated idiot then?

• Love
Reactions: bkmtnittany1

This is the internet. We’re all mechanical engineers who graduated at the top of the class. And doctors and lawyers too.

Because I didn’t graduate at the top of the class in statistics.
I do not think it is necessary to even be in the top 10% of your class to read through what I posted.

It was not the second coming of the theory of special relativity.

It was just some basic application of known statistics.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I do not think it is necessary to even be in the top 10% of your class to read through what I posted.

It was not the second coming of the theory of special relativity.

It was just some basic application of known statistics.

I‘m the exception in that we’re on the interwebs, and I know I‘m an idiot. In my simple mind, I see that many decision makers, in all sectors, we’re in panic mode in 2020. With the COVID not being well understood, many chose to shut things down, even at great cost. It wasn’t just sports. There wasn’t a grand scheme to stop sports specifically. It was just part of the 2020 mindset. Leadering.

CANCEL. CULTURE. o_O

What was the purpose behind it then? Seriously.

What alternative theory is there?

Oh, I know - you'll just say "they were trying their best and were wrong", but they're wrong in the same direction every single time.

Tell me, given that it was NEVER true, what is the purpose of all these articles:

https://www.bet.com/news/sports/202...id-19-players-heart-problems-coronavirus.html

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...vid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/penn...octor-third-covid-athletes-heart-inflammation

They were over-blowing a shoddy study cardiac MRI study performed at and published by... <drumroll> tOSU...

I‘m the exception in that we’re on the interwebs, and I know I‘m an idiot. In my simple mind, I see that many decision makers, in all sectors, we’re in panic mode in 2020. With the COVID not being well understood, many chose to shut things down, even at great cost. It wasn’t just sports. There wasn’t a grand scheme to stop sports specifically. It was just part of the 2020 mindset. Leadering.

CANCEL. CULTURE. o_O

Aren't you an engineer?

The problem with the B1G is that Warren shut things down based on a study that was quickly found to be flawed. Warren was looking for a reason to shut it down.

That's how it appeared. Plus the mask thing was ridiculous.

You'd have 40 healthy guys playing in close contact, breathing all over each other.

But the trainer, sitting off by himself, he had to have a mask on.

How ridiculous is that? How can anyone think to themselves, "Yeah, that one guy not spreading is going to make the difference"?

How can anyone actually think that? Did any of these people even take an entry level probability class?

It is amazing.

The problem with the B1G is that Warren shut things down based on a study that was quickly found to be flawed. Warren was looking for a reason to shut it down.
Probably, if so it was only because the BIG presidents had signaled what they wanted.

Reactions: 91Joe95
That's how it appeared. Plus the mask thing was ridiculous.

You'd have 40 healthy guys playing in close contact, breathing all over each other.

But the trainer, sitting off by himself, he had to have a mask on.

How ridiculous is that? How can anyone think to themselves, "Yeah, that one guy not spreading is going to make the difference"?

How can anyone actually think that? Did any of these people even take an entry level probability class?

It is amazing.
Don’t you know you can’t criticize the “experts” because you know they are infallible “experts” even though they have been wrong as much as right and flip flopped all over the place the whole way through. Buy if you disagree you will get personally attacked as a conspiracy theorist. Look what they have done to DeSantis in Florida - he was painted by the “experts” and media as the devil Who didn’t care if people died or not and even when he was proven right about keeping his state open as much as possible they still tried to take him down - don’t ever go against group think around here.

Don’t you know you can’t criticize the “experts” because you know they are infallible “experts” even though they have been wrong as much as right and flip flopped all over the place the whole way through. Buy if you disagree you will get personally attacked as a conspiracy theorist. Look what they have done to DeSantis in Florida - he was painted by the “experts” and media as the devil Who didn’t care if people died or not and even when he was proven right about keeping his state open as much as possible they still tried to take him down - don’t ever go against group think around here.
hahahaha, experts. Feynman:

We have many studies in teaching, for example, in which people make observations, make lists, do statistics, and so on, but these do not thereby become established science, established knowledge. They are merely an imitative form of science analogous to the South Sea Islanders’ airfields–radio towers, etc., made out of wood. The islanders expect a great airplane to arrive. They even build wooden airplanes of the same shape as they see in the foreigners’ airfields around them, but strangely enough, their wood planes do not fly. The result of this pseudoscientific imitation is to produce experts, which many of you are. [But] you teachers, who are really teaching children at the bottom of the heap, can maybe doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.

When someone says, “Science teaches such and such,” he is using the word incorrectly. Science doesn’t teach anything; experience teaches it. If they say to you, “Science has shown such and such,” you might ask, “How does science show it? How did the scientists find out? How? What? Where?”

It should not be “science has shown” but “this experiment, this effect, has shown.” And you have as much right as anyone else, upon hearing about the experiments–but be patient and listen to all the evidence–to judge whether a sensible conclusion has been arrived at.

In a field which is so complicated [as education] that true science is not yet able to get anywhere, we have to rely on a kind of old-fashioned wisdom, a kind of definite straightforwardness. I am trying to inspire the teacher at the bottom to have some hope and some self-confidence in common sense and natural intelligence. The experts who are leading you may be wrong.

I have probably ruined the system, and the students that are coming into Caltech no longer will be any good. I think we live in an unscientific age in which almost all the buffeting of communications and television–words, books, and so on–are unscientific. As a result, there is a considerable amount of intellectual tyranny in the name of science.

Finally, with regard to this time-binding, a man cannot live beyond the grave. Each generation that discovers something from its experience must pass that on, but it must pass that on with a delicate balance of respect and disrespect, so that the [human] race–now that it is aware of the disease to which it is liable–does not inflict its errors too rigidly on its youth, but it does pass on the accumulated wisdom, plus the wisdom that it may not be wisdom.

It is necessary to teach both to accept and to reject the past with a kind of balance that takes considerable skill. Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers of the preceding generation.

So carry on. Thank you.

Bill Maher did a bit on how the press in the covered this. He said a poll showed the US to have the far most negative coverage (90%) than any other nation despite being in better shape. In fact showed that Most people were woefully ill informed relative to known facts.

Bill Maher did a bit on how the press in the covered this. He said a poll showed the US to have the far most negative coverage (90%) than any other nation despite being in better shape. In fact showed that Most people were woefully ill informed relative to known facts.

“All the news that’s fit to print.” That used to mean something else.

Oh well. I’ll continue to hide in a dark corner of my basement. That while wearing three masks and garlic and clutching rosary beads makes me feel safe against the COVID.

Honest people do not make their arguments by stretching as far as humanly possible to find a case where a person has been impacted by a disease so they can justify shutting something down.

An honest person would say, "Look, we have anecdotal reports of an issue, we don't know if it's real or not, but we're going to look into it." Then, upon looking into it, they report back (within a week or two because this one was VERY EASY) - "look, we studied it - it appears that the frequency is so low as to be indistinguishable from otherwise healthy people who haven't been infected with Covid."

Further, your argument that "statistics are of no comfort if your son or daughter drops dead...." is not very strong. I can use that argument to keep schools shut forever - because even discounting Covid, schools spread the flu like crazy, and that does kill some reasonable amount of grandmothers (who get it from their grandkids) every year.
God defend me from being an honest man according to the description which everyday I see made by each man to his own glorification..

Actually it wasn't Warren. I don't think he even has a vote. It was the majority of university presidents and chancellors. They thought despite "statistics" that it was an excellent idea to cancel intercollegiate sports. They saw the clear benefits of paying millions of dollars in coaching salaries, 85 scholarships (football alone) and maintaining facilities that brought no return. The same sentiment was shared by MLB owners who shaved their schedules and gave the middle finger to fans for an entire season. To add insult to injury we lost the summer Olympics and yes, even the Little League World Series. Doesn't anyone know what they are doing?

Gee, Hind site is obviously still never 20-20. How many athletes does PSU have on scholarship at this time? And How anyone, including Kevin Warren, could know the results of the study until the time elapsed for it to happen is beyond the pale. You fail to mention the study that shows after 6 months 1-3 of those hospitalized with Covid have developed psychiatric diseases including schizophrenia. Obviously, you are a sports matters over everything kind of guy. Thanks for making Sandy look like a logician. I'm thinking you should enter the SEC fan portal. lattes up!

Reactions: nits74
Actually it wasn't Warren. I don't think he even has a vote. It was the majority of university presidents and chancellors. They thought despite "statistics" that it was an excellent idea to cancel intercollegiate sports. They saw the clear benefits of paying millions of dollars in coaching salaries, 85 scholarships (football alone) and maintaining facilities that brought no return. The same sentiment was shared by MLB owners who shaved their schedules and gave the middle finger to fans for an entire season. To add insult to injury we lost the summer Olympics and yes, even the Little League World Series. Doesn't anyone know what they are doing?

SAFETY. FIRST. o_O

I read some of these posts and I wonder why they even keep statistics. Fun fact, you know what is not part of the medical review exams? Statistics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT