ADVERTISEMENT

“Give that myan his money!”

He's getting $70mm for improvement of the football facilities. Beyond that, what, a blank check?

That's a start... But seriously, isn't that what the big boy schools do when it comes to the football programs?

Start? What does he want that he's not getting? Pay Rahne $1.5mm so that he becomes a better OC?

I think they could pay the assistant coaches better. That is definitely one thing that Franklin has mentioned over the years... It makes it tough to keep a coaching staff together for to long without the incentive... If you look at the list of the top paid assistants, PSU has some serious ground to make up...

I think they could pay the assistant coaches better. That is definitely one thing that Franklin has mentioned over the years... It makes it tough to keep a coaching staff together for to long without the incentive... If you look at the list of the top paid assistants, PSU has some serious ground to make up...

The top paid assistants on the USAToday list are pretty much all coordinators. Shoop was up there in his last couple of years at PSU. Pry is getting there. Rahne doesn't belong on the list.

Because he’s a top 5 coach who isn’t among the top 5 highest-paid coaches. Franklin should absolutely expect to be compensated commensurate to his standing amongst his peers, no matter how much he enjoys his current job.
PSU finished #17 last year. The two previous years were 7th & 8th. Let's see how this team finishes before anointing Franklin a top 5 coach.

From what I've read Franklin is currently the 10th highest paid coach and he's scheduled to get a bump in pay next year. I'd sweeten incentives for graduation rates and winning the BiG.

Here is why the typical Fan Boy is an idiot wrt the “They need to spend more on assistant coaches” debate :) ......... they can’t even see what is right in front of their faces.

Just look at what has transpired right here at PSU since Franklin came in:

Who has he had at the coordinator spots?

1) John Donovan and Bob Shoop

A) You wanna’ pay Donovan more?
His tenure was “less than wonderful”, and CJF cut him loose. Why in the world would one want to have paid him MORE?
B) Shoop was paid VERY handsomely - and, despite that, left for less net money to be somewhere he thought was a better spot...... and failed miserably (and was replaced by a guy who was better - for less money :) )

2) So they had two new coordinators:
A) They brought in Moorhead at a modest (relatively) salary - and his tenure was AWESOME
B) They elevated assistant coach Pry - at a (relatively) modest salary - and he has been very good

3) Moorhead left - to take a HEAD COACHING gig at a SEC team..... and no amount of Coordinator $$$ they might have paid him would have prevented that.

4) Pry now makes big-time Coordinator $$$, and IF he does leave (and I don’t expect it anytime soon) it will also most certainly be for a Head Coaching gig...... and no boost in Coordinator pay would matter.

5) The only other assistant coach to leave - who anyone would have wanted to keep - was Gattis........ and he left because CJF decided to promote Rahne into the spot that he (Gattis) wanted - - - not because there wasn’t $$$ available

6) Even IF there is some argument to be made for “paying more”, all one would have to do is pay Barbour what she is worth....... and the difference between that, and what she does take, would free up more than enough money to have two of the most expensive (if not THE most expensive) coordinators in all of college football. And that’s without even considering bagging some of Sandy’s legions if AADs.

But...... the average Fan Boy is 3/4 as dumb as Sandy.
And so you see the idiocy you see on Boards like this one.

QED

You really are a funny dude. So Franklin saying this over the years must make him an idiot. I forget sometimes that a few "POSTERS" on here truly believe that they have an opinion that is somehow superior to others... No biggie as this is after all, a forum ;).

What I'm getting at, as far as the assistant pay is concerned, is that they should be able to dangle more money in front of top flight assistant coaches... Many seem to have an issue with Rahne as the offensive coordinator but fail to understand just why he is... It may very well be possible that the available coordinators get reduced as soon as the money conversation begins.

I apologize for feeding into this individual (I don't resort to name-calling) and cluttering up this thread. I'm normally pretty good at NOT doing this. I will not fall for the bait anymore lol... If they take issue with my opinions, they can simply block me as this won't hurt my feelings.

Hope everyone has a great night and go Nittany Lions! :D

You really are a funny dude. So Franklin saying this over the years must make him an idiot. I forget sometimes that a few "POSTERS" on here truly believe that they have an opinion that is somehow superior to others... No biggie as this is after all, a forum ;).

What I'm getting at, as far as the assistant pay is concerned, is that they should be able to dangle more money in front of top flight assistant coaches... Many seem to have an issue with Rahne as the offensive coordinator but fail to understand just why he is... It may very well be possible that the available coordinators get reduced as soon as the money conversation begins.

Franklin is like a kid with the gimmes. It's a good thing that he doesn't have bottom-line responsibility, because his notions of compensation don't work that way.

PSU has ponied up for assistants when performance warranted it. If it were unable to attract assistants because of money, I'm sure we would've heard about it. Franklin isn't shy about going public went he doesn't get what he wants.

Reactions: PennState_one
Franklin is like a kid with the gimmes.
Very good way of putting it (I wish I had coined that phrase)

Very true, and a very bad trait to have - when your AD is a dipshit with zero understanding or accountability.
One of the few things I don’t like about the guy.

Very good way of putting it (I wish I had coined that phrase)

Very true, and a very bad trait to have - when your AD is a dipshit with zero understanding or accountability.
One of the few things I don’t like about the guy.

That's my feeling to, but from what I've heard about the way Barbour handles salary matters, it may be his only recourse.

Good Grief

The dysfunction of this ICA administration "family" makes the Griswolds and the Tenebaums look like the Cleavers

My guess is that they're giving him final say on the color of the carpet and curtains that are part of the $70mm project. If it's much more than that, Barbour should be given a Bambi costume and set loose on the first day of deer season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT