ADVERTISEMENT

“49ers suspend radio analyst Tim Ryan for Lamar Jackson comments"

.."......that little monkey can run".<<
Is that his exact quote?

very close, I know he used the word monkey

In 1983 Howard Cosell said, "Joe Gibbs wanted that kid, and that little monkey gets loose doesn't he" when referring to Washington Redskins wide receiver Alvin Garrett after his sixth pass reception with 3:18 remaining in the first quarter during an ABC Monday Night Football (MNF) game on September 5th, 1983 between the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins.

It is said that the term "monkey" to Cosell was a term of endearment

Has anyone reported on Lamar Jackson's, or other black players and coaches, feelings about the comment? I have not read about it, so I don't know.

I would guess there was no malicious intent in that statement. Maybe not well-considered, but considering the person works with and around many people of color, so I assume the intent in his mind was to make an observation rather than to show bias.

But I don't know what the impact has been, which is what counts. If Jackson and others took it in a negative way, it would be a good opportunity to understand their point of view. If they did not, especially those who know the announcer who said it, then maybe the punishment did not fit the crime.

Note: edited a bit since the original post, as I had a number of typos that changed the meaning of what I wanted to say. Probably still do.

Last edited:
very close, I know he used the word monkey

I remember the story and IIRC it was Alvin Garrett from Washington. But I couldn't remember if it was the exact phrase.
I do think Howard got some blow back from that but because he had done a lot for boxing and was very close with Ali nothing happened. I think they also asked Garrett about it and he didn't care. At least thats the way my foggy brain remembered it.

Has anyone reported on Lamar Jackson's, or other black players and coaches, feel about the comment? I have not read about it, so I don't know.

I would guess there was no malicious intent in that statement. Maybe not well-considered, but considering the person works with and around many people of color, so I doubt the intent in his mind was to make an observation rather than to show bias.

But I don't know what the impact has been, which is what counts. If Jackson and others took it in a negative way, it would be a good opportunity to understand their point of view. If they did not, especially those who know the announcer who said it, then maybe the punishment did not fit the crime.

I think the far bigger story is how freaking good Lamar Jackson is and how much better Greg Roman has made him and the Raven's offense. Maybe Tim Ryan should have talked about that instead. SMH.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78 and demlion
As a Ravens fan who watched that game. With the Ravens wearing all black uniforms and playing in heavy rain, the ball being a very dark brown because it was wet, was difficult to follow with the black uniforms.
Agreed . We make to much of these things these days.

I am not a Ravens fan, but that guy looks as dangerous to opposing defenses as anyone in the league right now. And it is not because his arms are brown. Lol.

I'm not either I am a Steeler fan but I actually like this Raven's team. They are a lot of fun to watch. Jackson, from what I hear around town, is a really nice guy.
Obviously John got all the coaching genes and personality in that family.;)
They made some in season trades that put them on the road to the Superbowl.
JMO but its a John Harbaugh and Mike Tomlin race for coach of the year. What Tomlin has done is really pretty remarkable but my vote would still go to Harbaugh.
I bet Greg Roman is not an OC for long or not JUST an OC for long. I'm thinking he'll soon have HC in front of that.

Reactions: smealpsu2005
Guess it's time to implement Christie Brinkley's suggestion that football players could have special gloves connected to lights on their helmets, so that when they caught the ball, you'd know who had possession.

Reactions: hlstone
Guess it's time to implement Christie Brinkley's suggestion that football players could have special gloves connected to lights on their helmets, so that when they caught the ball, you'd know who had possession.

"NFL Commissioner Christie Brinkley" has a nice ring to it.

Reactions: hlstone
How hard is it to simply not mention skin color or race? I mean I go all day every day without doing it. I just cannot imagine how stupid you have to be to go on the radio and say this. These unforced errors people commit all the time really blow my mind. Just don’t talk about race or skin color period. It’s the easiest thing to do and takes literally no effort.

It comes down to the history of the black QB in the NFL. Heck, my sister's boyfriend (from North Carolina -- to tie into that conversation about the south in another thread) used to tell me that the Steelers would never be anything with Kordell Stewart at QB -- because of his skin color, not his lack of talent.

Now a guy has broken through barriers and has taken the position to a new level and a guy is suggesting that part of the reason is because he's able to hide the ball against his darker skin. It's perceived by some as a knock against Jackson's ability.

I don't necessarily think Ryan meant anything derogatory when he made that statement. But I do think in hindsight, he realized it was a mistake.

lol that's actually a really interesting observation. Probably does make sense to make the ball brighter.

As a Ravens fan who watched that game. With the Ravens wearing all black uniforms and playing in heavy rain, the ball being a very dark brown because it was wet, was difficult to follow with the black uniforms.
So, you were on the field with the two teams?

Is it RACIST. :eek: to highlight “black quarterback”? I figure it must be.

I was surprised the other day, somewhat, to see espn denote the 2019 NFL season as “year of the black quarterback”. Nowadays you can’t acknowledge someone’s skin color without drawing intense OUTRAGE. :eek: (unless the person in question is white). :eek:

Well a white football was used "back in the day" and the players found it difficult to see against white uniforms.
At the risk of being called a racist, why is noting that someone has dark skin offensive?

Also, "back in the day" teams would have the image of a football on the front of jerseys until they were banned.

Another Howard Cosell situation involving Frank Gifford and Alex Karras doing a game between Dallas and Oakland had Gifford and Karras commenting on various players. Gifford would point out some guy who went to USC and how great he was and then Karras would comment on some lineman. Going down the bench there was Otis Sistrunk, who was bald and in the cold night air his head was throwing steam off and Karras commented that that was Otis Sistrunk from the University of Mars.
I think Karras was not long for the booth after that.

I'm not either I am a Steeler fan but I actually like this Raven's team. They are a lot of fun to watch. Jackson, from what I hear around town, is a really nice guy.
Obviously John got all the coaching genes and personality in that family.;)
They made some in season trades that put them on the road to the Superbowl.
JMO but its a John Harbaugh and Mike Tomlin race for coach of the year. What Tomlin has done is really pretty remarkable but my vote would still go to Harbaugh.
I bet Greg Roman is not an OC for long or not JUST an OC for long. I'm thinking he'll soon have HC in front of that.
You wouldn't pick Kyle Shanahan for Coach of the Year? The 49ers won four games last year.

You wouldn't pick Kyle Shanahan for Coach of the Year? The 49ers won four games last year.

No.
Ravens completely overhauled their offense and all the Steelers WR's and RB's are hurt, and they are down to a 3rd string QB, plus they have some OL that have been out.
I know that most teams have injuries right now but The Steelers have been like this since the 2nd game.

Reactions: smealpsu2005
No, just watching on TV, the ball was difficult to follow. More so than usual. The ball was a really dark brown, with the black uniforms was definitely more difficult to follow, would imagine the players had increased difficulty, of course not as bad as the TV viewer.

How hard is it to simply not mention skin color or race? I mean I go all day every day without doing it. I just cannot imagine how stupid you have to be to go on the radio and say this. These unforced errors people commit all the time really blow my mind. Just don’t talk about race or skin color period. It’s the easiest thing to do and takes literally no effort.

*Mic drop*

I don't think Ryan's comment was racist nor made with racist intent, regardless of what the Outrage Industry may say.

But it was dumb. Seriously, how would anyone who works for a living in media these days not realize that and steer away?

Therefore, for his own good, Ryan should probably be suspended for a week on grounds of being a dumbass.

The casual racism here by the boomers is not a good look for Penn State fans. Some of you seem proud of your ignorance.

That is counterproductive, as well as unfortunately indicative of so much of our public discourse these days. I doubt anyone in this thread thinks they're being racist. If you think otherwise then explain to them, in non-inflammatory language, why you think so.

Reactions: hagberg
The casual racism here by the boomers is not a good look for Penn State fans. Some of you seem proud of your ignorance.
Your use of the word “boomers” is a derogatory and offensive term used to describe people that were born in the 50’s. As mentioned, your argument is counterproductive.

Reactions: hagberg

Were you? The color of his skin was just one of the contributing factors he gave for the ball being more difficult to see on that particular day. Not invisible.

The only way you see his comments as racist is if you want it to be. I hope they ask Jackson to comment and he says GET A LIFE!

Reactions: DandyDonII
Were you? The color of his skin was just one of the contributing factors he gave for the ball being more difficult to see on that particular day. Not invisible.

The only way you see his comments as racist is if you want it to be. I hope they ask Jackson to comment and he says GET A LIFE!
I'm not the guy saying the ball was hidden by his dark skin. That was a radio douche who, so far as we know, was in the booth. I watched it on TV. I KNOW I cannot see it well enough to say whether his skin made it hard to see.

See, the radio douche does not have a much better vantage point that you or me, so he is no better qualified than you or me to say what you could see on the field.

Get it yet, or are you still struggling? Lol.

"Hey, this is a brown ball, they’re wearing dark colors and he has a brown arm,’ honestly, we were having trouble seeing the ball on the field. He’s making a play-fake and sometimes he swings his arm really fast, and you’re like ‘OK, does he have the ball on this play’ and then you look up and Ingram is running it." - Richard Sherman

See, the radio douche does not have a much better vantage point that you or me, so he is no better qualified than you or me to say what you could see on the field.

Riiight. He was there. He's a former NFL player. He's had a career as an analyst. Not plausible at all that he observed something?

By chance I was in a restaurant today where this Fox Sports talk show was playing and they provided the best analysis I've heard on this issue. Lavar Arrington is one of the guests. My take is it was dumb and I'm not going to defend dumb but as one of the guys on the show said it's the equivalent of a class 2 misdemeanor. Admit your mistake, everyone can acknowledge it was a mistake then move forward.

Half this board is nuttier than a Christmas fruitcake.

Go easy with that. Crazy assed people in the funny farm take offense to their condition being associated with a fruitcake. Ha, who am I trying to kid?? They ARE fruitcakes. :confused:

"The entire point he was making" was a bullshit excuse. I am told that his total comments included a great deal of praise for #8. How can he not recognize that the things that make Jackson so effective have nothing whatsoever to do with his skin color. Now, maybe from the pressbox it is harder to see who has the ball. I often could not tell who had the ball when Jackson's teammate Trace Mc Sorley was running the RPO. That is not because he is white, but because he is good at the fake. On the field your vision would have to be terrible not to be able to see the ball because the QB has "camo" arms.
To the contrary ...ask Richard Sherman what he saw and whether arms were a factor. Yahoo sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT