ADVERTISEMENT

Zain vs. Pico in folkstyle

clucas

Jan 20, 2004
Nashville, TN
Zain has closed the gap a good bit in freestyle, but still hasn't been able to turn the corner on Aaron Pico. An incredible wrestling talent who would be a senior in high school this year and undoubtedly going for his 4th California state title. My question is, is Zain's mat game enough to overcome Pico's advantage on his feet?

Thoughts?

And, wouldn't it be awesome if the boys at Flo put this challenge match together in one of their premier events? Interesting to see if Pico ever gives folkstyle a go again...I mean at some point the kid probably goes to college, right? I don't know if he's ever discussed this openly or not.

Pretty sure Pico can never go the College wrestling route. He has taken endorsement deals. I could be wrong though

Aaron Pico is forever ineligible for college wrestling.

College Wrestling. That's a broad brush, Roar; could you trim it down for your homie please?
NCAA D2?
NCAA D3?
National Collegiate Wrestling Association (NCWA)?
National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA)?
National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA)?

I think Pico already has signed a deal with Bellator (might be a different MMA company). There's no reason to think he would attend any form of university until after that contract has been honored (and if his MMA career goes well, as I hope it does, he'll never have a need to).

Aaron Pico is forever ineligible for college wrestling.
College Wrestling. That's a broad brush, Roar; could you trim it down for your homie please?
NCAA D2?
NCAA D3?
National Collegiate Wrestling Association (NCWA)?
National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA)?
National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA)?
D1, D2, and D3 rules are similar enough, pretty sure, but I've honestly never looked at NWCA, NAIA, or NJCAA. Here's a section from NAIA, for example, that probably applies...as it goes on to talk about "signing contracts", and receiving money...but I'm not positive.

1. To properly control competition in the NAIA program, only amateur students shall be eligible to participate in a given sport. An
amateur is a student who engages in athletics contests for educational values, personal pleasure, satisfaction, and for the love of the sport, not for monetary or material gain.

2. A student who becomes a professional in a particular sport recognized by the NAIA is considered a professional in that sport only (except for the sport-specific exception listed below) and therefore is ineligible for intercollegiate competition in that sport, except as permitted by the governing legislation of the NAIA.

EXCEPTION 1: A student who becomes a professional in cross country, indoor track and field or outdoor track and field is
considered a professional in all three sports.

EXCEPTION 2: A student who becomes a professional in indoor or arena football is considered a professional in the sport of
football.

EXCEPTION 3: A student who becomes a professional in indoor soccer is considered a professional in the sport of soccer.

EXCEPTION 4: A student who becomes a professional in beach volleyball is considered a professional in the sport of volleyball.

Why stop there? How about a Cael vs. Brands match in any style not involving chainsaws or barbed wire?

After watching Terry probably a dozen times, Im not sure who I would put my money on..................in a chainsaws and barbed wire match that is.

Why stop there? How about a Cael vs. Brands match in any style not involving chainsaws or barbed wire?

Well, there is Chess-Boxing. Perhaps we can arrange a Scrabble-Wrestling competition?

How about a three match showdown? One Greco-Roman, one Freestyle and one Folkstyle?

I seriously doubt is will ever be challenged, however, is a MMA contract like kind to professional wrestling? I have heard that he is forever ineligible, however, I am not sure a good attorney could not challenge this. Many athletes i.e. Baseball professional go back to college and participate in football ect...If I was professional Judo competitor and I ineligible? To totally different sports as is MMA.

I seriously doubt is will ever be challenged, however, is a MMA contract like kind to professional wrestling? I have heard that he is forever ineligible, however, I am not sure a good attorney could not challenge this. Many athletes i.e. Baseball professional go back to college and participate in football ect...If I was professional Judo competitor and I ineligible? To totally different sports as is MMA.

I think one of the big things is any type of sponsorship/product endorsement deals. I think that was the main reason that Jeremy Bloom's football career at Colorado was ended. It wasn't prize money from skiing, it was the product endorsement money that he received.

I think it's the fact that he hired an agent which made him ineligible. I'm not familiar with the particulars, but that's what I've read before.

I think it's the fact that he hired an agent which made him ineligible. I'm not familiar with the particulars, but that's what I've read before.
Yep. He signed a contract with Fresno-based Zinkin Entertainment and Sports Management. They've hooked him up with good sponsors too. He has a long term deal with Nike and several other sponsors. I believe one of the others is Dethrone - MMA clothing and apparel. He made the conscious decision to give up his collegiate eligibility.

How about Zain vs Thor: Sure, Thor is strong and has that hammer thing going for him and all but I think with Zain's quick leg attacks and his ability to ride, I give him a slight edge. Plus, he could always tag Cael in and we all know that Thor is no match for Cael, amiright?

How about Zain vs Thor: Sure, Thor is strong and has that hammer thing going for him and all but I think with Zain's quick leg attacks and his ability to ride, I give him a slight edge. Plus, he could always tag Cael in and we all know that Thor is no match for Cael, amiright?
69033.jpg

How about Zain vs Thor: Sure, Thor is strong and has that hammer thing going for HER and all but I think with Zain's quick leg attacks and his ability to ride, I give him a slight edge. Plus, he could always tag Cael in and we all know that Thor is no match for Cael, amiright?

Fixed it for you.

How about Cael vs Brands in an Irish Step Dance Shootout? I know where my money's going there. Sorry Cael.

D1, D2, and D3 rules are similar enough, pretty sure, but I've honestly never looked at NWCA, NAIA, or NJCAA. Here's a section from NAIA, for example, that probably applies...as it goes on to talk about "signing contracts", and receiving money...but I'm not positive.

1. To properly control competition in the NAIA program, only amateur students shall be eligible to participate in a given sport. An
amateur is a student who engages in athletics contests for educational values, personal pleasure, satisfaction, and for the love of the sport, not for monetary or material gain.

2. A student who becomes a professional in a particular sport recognized by the NAIA is considered a professional in that sport only (except for the sport-specific exception listed below) and therefore is ineligible for intercollegiate competition in that sport, except as permitted by the governing legislation of the NAIA.

EXCEPTION 1: A student who becomes a professional in cross country, indoor track and field or outdoor track and field is
considered a professional in all three sports.

EXCEPTION 2: A student who becomes a professional in indoor or arena football is considered a professional in the sport of
football.

EXCEPTION 3: A student who becomes a professional in indoor soccer is considered a professional in the sport of soccer.

EXCEPTION 4: A student who becomes a professional in beach volleyball is considered a professional in the sport of volleyball.

Haha, thanks. Watching Andrew Long win Midlands had me curious about all these other orgs and your sweeping comment re-curioused me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT