ADVERTISEMENT

Zain thread (tonight/Thursday morning, at World Championships)

dmm53

Feb 4, 2017
Men's Freestyle Schedule

***ALL TIMES EDT***

Thursday 9/19
  • Qual 1:00am-6:00am 57-65
  • Semis 6:45am-7:45am 57-65

Friday 9/20
  • Qual 1:00am-6:00am 70-74-92-125
  • Rpchg 1:00am-6:00am 57-65
  • Semis 6:45am-7:45am 70-74-92-125
  • Finals 8:00am-11:00am 57-65
Saturday 9/21

• Qual 1:00am-6:00am 61-79-86-97
  • Rpchg 1:00am-6:00am 70-74-92-125
  • Semis 6:45am-7:45am 61-79-86-97
  • Finals 8:00am-11:00am 70-74-92-125
Sunday 9/22

• Rpchg 5:30am-7:30am 61-79-86-97
  • Finals 8:00am-11:00am 61-79-86-97

U.S. Men's freestyle draw for Thursday

57 kg/125.5 lbs. - Daton Fix, Sand Springs, Okla. (Titan Mercury WC/Cowboy RTC)

Vladimir Egorov (Northern Macedonia), 2019 European Championships 3rd

65 kg/143 lbs. - Zain Retherford, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)

Alejandro Valdes Tobier (Cuba), 2019 Pan American Games 1st, 2018 World Championships 3rd, 2017 World Championships 3rd

Video footage of Zain's first opponent (Tobier from Cuba) against Bajrang from India (#1 at the weight and World Champ) in the semis from last year's World Championships:

Both those dudes are awesome. Gonna be some fireworks. Tobier gonna try and throw Zain on his head. Zain going to bring the pace and the pain.

CHOO CHOO

Reactions: diggerpup
Mat assignments:

Zain vs Tobier: 3rd on D

Kayla vs Esenbaeva: 7th on A
Tamyra vs Montague: 11th on A
Daton vs Egorov: 19th on C

Rashidov vs Aliyev: 5th on A Skriabin vs Tumur Ochir: 13th on A Atri vs Andreev: 19th on B Amine vs Cumba: 3rd onC Habat vs Vejseli: 12th on C Kang vs Yatsenko: 20th on C Micic vs Ansari: 16th on D

Reactions: Kuch96
Zain gives up a td and 2 guts, gets a td, end of first 2-6

Quick td/exposure for zain 4-6

2&2 6-8

injury time for Tobier, 43 sec left

zain is bleeding too

Zain got in deep gets 2, then CUB got a turn, zain a reversal as time ran out, he loses 9-10. Damn!

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
last 20 seconds, zain gets uncontrolled exposure to take the lead 8-8 on criteria, cuba gets a takedown and then quick reversal, zain down 9-10 and that's how it ends.

seemed like zain was wearing cuba down until the long break for blood time, but can't control that

I can't stand the Track announcers. They have bad energy and don't do commentary well. Horvat just likes to tell stories.

Rashidov Aliyev did not disappoint. Aliyev takes out the Russian at the buzzer 4-3. pending the brick

....and we know who owns the refs.... Rashidov wins 4-2. Cannot begin to explain why.

that’s it, going to bed.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp
Ouch. Zain (usa) fails to get it done and russia buys their way to an illegitimate w. Just another world championships I suppose..

Tobier wins his next match, zain still not out, but the road gets tough from here on out.

Last edited:
Rashidov Aliyev did not disappoint. Aliyev takes out the Russian at the buzzer 4-3. pending the brick

....and we know who owns the refs.... Rashidov wins 4-2. Cannot begin to explain why.

that’s it, going to bed.
This might work out for Zain. The winner is noticeably limping. The Georgian lost in Round 1. All of this eases Tobier's path to the finals.

Meanwhile, Fix was gifted a 4-2 loss -- all 4 points were questionable (and I'm being charitable).

Vince McMahon apparently has scouts there -- to find new crooked refs.

Reactions: Dogwelder
This might work out for Zain. The winner is noticeably limping. The Georgian lost in Round 1. All of this eases Tobier's path to the finals.

Meanwhile, Fix was gifted a 4-2 loss -- all 4 points were questionable (and I'm being charitable).

Vince McMahon apparently has scouts there -- to find new crooked refs.
Sadly,

Rashidov-Aliyev call wasn't THAT bad.
You may be right on further review. They wound up giving the step out. What was understated was Haji’s post match shenanigans. He threw a scoring paddle at the ref’s head. Somehow wasn’t dq’d, and Rashidov is one win away from pulling him in. Thought they should have given Aliyev at TD before the edge sequence though.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
Looked like a clear 4 point move with just under 2 seconds left on the clock.
Rashidov changes the motion, making it his move, with Aliyev’s head hitting first out of bounds. I don’t necessarily agree with it, but I understand it.

Seeing Zain’s “ZR” tee shirt makes me wonder. Is the chant for Zain:
“Z R ... United States!”
“Z R ... United States!”
“Z R ... United States!”
:)

Z...R...U...S...A...
Z...R...U...S...A...
Z...R...U...S...A...
Z...R...U...S...A...

Kinda give it the "We ARE" sound

Seeing Zain’s “ZR” tee shirt makes me wonder. Is the chant for Zain:
“Z R ... United States!”
“Z R ... United States!”
“Z R ... United States!”
:)

Reactions: Dogwelder
Wow...this tournament is a grind. These guys wrestled 4-5 matches in like 6 hours. The Cuban's gas tank was low after that early match with Zain. He had no chance of pulling Zain back in going through that gauntlet at 65 kg.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT