ADVERTISEMENT

WTF has happened to this board???

uppermaclion

Sep 6, 2005
Is this even a PSU football board anymore? I just glanced on page one, and there are probably less then 10 posts that I would classify as having to do with PSU, other then the countless Sandusky threads!!! WTF has happened? I know it is the off season and it isn't the most exciting time, but over the past few years and especially since Sandusky the amount of football talk has decreased significantly. Now there are posts about texas wanting fryers and soda machines back in school. REally, that what this board has become? A few days ago a post about how civilization will end. Seriously???? I can live with the Sandusky and BOT related threads since it is at least relevant, even though I stopped reading those long ago.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the occasional OT posts as it keeps the board interesting but I used to come here to talk PSU football, and get news an info. Now this is the last board I visit for that stuff. The scout board is OK but there aren't nearly enough people posting. The 247 board is probably the best PSU board, but the way they allow VIP posts to clog up the all the threads make it useless unless you are a member. Am I the only one who feels this way? WTF has happened? Can this site create a board that is PSU related only? The sandusky stuff and all other crap can stay on this board. I just don't want to leave entirely as like many I have been on this board since the plotit days. The plotit board would put this board to shame with the amount of football talk that use to go on there.

Uppermac: This particular time of year is really the "dog days" for college football. Check the Boards for any other college and you will also find a ton of OT threads. Not football season, no Spring football, recruiting for the last class is over and it's still early for the next class, and summer practices have yet to commence. I think that has a whole lot to do with the lack of football posts. How many "Who is the best RB/QB/WR in PSU history?" threads can you have before they grow stale?

Is this even a PSU football board anymore? I just glanced on page one, and there are probably less then 10 posts that I would classify as having to do with PSU, other then the countless Sandusky threads!!! WTF has happened? I know it is the off season and it isn't the most exciting time, but over the past few years and especially since Sandusky the amount of football talk has decreased significantly. Now there are posts about texas wanting fryers and soda machines back in school. REally, that what this board has become? A few days ago a post about how civilization will end. Seriously???? I can live with the Sandusky and BOT related threads since it is at least relevant, even though I stopped reading those long ago.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the occasional OT posts as it keeps the board interesting but I used to come here to talk PSU football, and get news an info. Now this is the last board I visit for that stuff. The scout board is OK but there aren't nearly enough people posting. The 247 board is probably the best PSU board, but the way they allow VIP posts to clog up the all the threads make it useless unless you are a member. Am I the only one who feels this way? WTF has happened? Can this site create a board that is PSU related only? The sandusky stuff and all other crap can stay on this board. I just don't want to leave entirely as like many I have been on this board since the plotit days. The plotit board would put this board to shame with the amount of football talk that use to go on there.

There's really not much going on to discuss than the occasional recruit. If you ban Felli's posts then you'd get rid of like 80% of the non PSU/ out in left field stuff. ;)

Reactions: RobBliz

You can pay and join the Lion's Den. Just a suggestion.

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
I'm willing to help you out with a couple of football related topics.... STEP or names on the uniforms, you pick.:rolleyes:

Reactions: step.eng69

The BESTEST THING EVAH happened.

The Sandusky scandal has been allowed to dominate the football discussions on this board. The people who run this board have made a conscious choice to allow this board to become a Sandusky scandal board first, and a football board second. This has had a progressive effect of lessening the football talk on this board. This board has become a great place to find out about the Sandusky scandal but a relatively poor place to find out about the football team. I have been following this board since the plotit days but I no longer come here to find out about PSU football. Rather, I go to other boards to find out about football and I come to this board to find out about the latest on the BOT or the scandal. I think the demise of football talk on this board has allowed other sites to compete.

...it's mid-June, this is the free board, and this is not the Lions Den paid board that is full of PSU talk.

How else would a concerned alum stay aware of all the legal/BOT stuff? Certainly not the media. I think the non football talk is what makes this board unique and vital. I also appreciate Tom taking the time to post various rules/info/decisions/etc. of the PSU BOT. I think people forget that PSU has been hijacked. Until this is cleaned up and shameful losers like masser aren't speaking on behalf of my school, Penn State and thousands of it's alumni/supporters will not move on. The football (that I still love) seems a bit trivial in comparison. I do find it disappointing though how close minded many Penn Staters are to even discussing new evidence found in the Sandusky case.

I like this board a lot. We all have a common interest which is Penn State. We seem to be friends and get along quite well (some exceptions of course but without them it wouldn't have so much comradery). Football is important and we do discuss that but any subject is game. Where else can you find this type of atmosphere on the web?

Be nice !

Why? There obviously isn't much to talk about football-wise right now. We talk about verbal commitments as they happen, but they have been slow to come in lately. We still talk about potential commits, but how long can you do that when you have no idea when and if a kid will commit to Penn State? We have talked about the outlook for this coming season, but how long can you do that? We had a run of "Name your best [enter position here] at Penn State" threads here recently, but again, how long can you do that?

Of course, instead of condemning this forum, the thread starter could have started a football thread. Seems to me he was just trying to be obnoxious, so why should we be nice?

Seems pretty clear to me that if this board has become known for something that you don't like, then don't inhabit this board. I mean, that's what I would do. The guys who really despise the new format regrettably have cut back on their time here; that's how they have reacted to the changes, and that is their right. If what this board has become known for is not what you enjoy, then you should reward yourself for your higher standards and find a better situation.

The Sandusky scandal has been allowed to dominate the football discussions on this board. The people who run this board have made a conscious choice to allow this board to become a Sandusky scandal board first, and a football board second. This has had a progressive effect of lessening the football talk on this board. This board has become a great place to find out about the Sandusky scandal but a relatively poor place to find out about the football team. I have been following this board since the plotit days but I no longer come here to find out about PSU football. Rather, I go to other boards to find out about football and I come to this board to find out about the latest on the BOT or the scandal. I think the demise of football talk on this board has allowed other sites to compete.

What boards talk PSU football? Seriously, I want to check them out as well.

It's June 11th, genius.

Are you sure you name shouldn't be KNOBPSU92 because you obviously have the reading comprehension skills of a door knob? You call me a genius and point out it is june 11. did I not acknowledge it is the off season in the post and not the most exciting time? Did you miss that part? So that is the best you can come up with? Calling me a genius for I guess not knowing it is June 11 lol, even though I acknowledged the off season. Pretty weak imho. Just another example of why this board has gone down hill. The quality of posters has gone way down hill as shown by KNOBPSU92.

Anyways have a nice day KNOB!!!

Reactions: LaJolla Lion

-------------
So what is stopping you or any one else from posting about football all day long? You could easily start 20 posts about football....if you had anything interesting to post. But ya don't so ya won't. How about asking people to pick their all time favorite back up windy placekicker holder? Now that would be exciting stuff right there.
And here is a secret trick to navigating the board.......if you see a subject that doesn't interest you, don't click on it. Repeat, don't click on a post you aren't interested in! Problem solved. Just keep that between you and me.

So you don't read anything about Sandusky or the BoT. Sad, as they have done such tremendous damage to PSU that it nearly destroyed football. Much worse, it damaged the Penn State brand that we are all so proud of. Yeah, football used to be a great escape from the world. Watch the game, the players, recruiting, coaches, and have fun ignoring life's problems for a few hours. But that all changed and may never return.

Athletics have always been touted as great lessons in life,...hard work, determination, overcoming losses, team work. Maybe its time for another one; Following a game and ignoring the rest of the world has serious consequences.

Last edited:
Call me crazy but I like this board and I like the new format.

O.K. ..... here goes---- YOUR ARE CRAZY

crazy.gif

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
I DON'T READ POSTS I DON'T LIKE. However, I do have to scroll through the headlines so I do see what the topics are. Did I not say I don't read the Sandusky posts any more? Did you not write that I don't read the Sandusky posts? I don't need to read countless posts to know the BOT, Sandusky, etc screwed PSU. I think that is so far beyond a proven point already. It's like you already beat the dead horse, it decayed and disappeared and you went back and beat the area where the carcass was. I'm not debating that point at all. So why are you telling me to DON'T CLICK ON IT WHEN THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I DO AND YOU SAID I DO. I DON'T READ THE VAST MAJORITY OF THREADS THAT DON'T INTEREST ME! It's like some sort of circular argument you are having with yourself. Do you yell at your dog to sit when he is already sitting? That's what your post basically said.

I asked a question? IS there less football talk then there has been? It sure as hell seems that way to me. Am I wrong? Is this board not dominated by Sandusky/BOT threads? Are there WAYYYY more OT posts then there used to be? I'm not talking just now but in general, even over of the course of the season. It sure seems that way to me. If you don't think so fine, but I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this. This board has evolved from a football board like it was in the plotit days to more of a free for all test/politics board with less emphasis on PSU football. That's fine by me as I visit the other boards as well and get most of my football info and chat from there.

What frustrates me about this new format is there will be a thread with 5-6 pages that from a distance looks like some good discussions are going on. When you view the thread it's 5-6 pages of trolling, bickering and people arguing with Pitt fans (which seems to be increasing more and more). So then I just wasted my time clicking on it. With the old view you could pick up on a cesspool thread with one glance.

What the new format ended up doing for me is that I finally had to bite the bullet and officially ignore a certain poster and his alter ego, rather that just ignore parts of a thread that didn't interest me under the old format. Although I greatly prefer thread view, putting this particular guy on "ignore" ended up making this board in its current format much more enjoyable.

What I do miss is this: In the past, I could readily find 95% of the content of the board that interested me. Under the new topic view, I am probably finding only 60% of the content that might interest me. The other 35% gets lost in topics that I never open or appear stale to me. I'll live with it for now and see what the board is like during football season.

Reactions: BBrown
I DON'T READ POSTS I DON'T LIKE. However, I do have to scroll through the headlines so I do see what the topics are. Did I not say I don't read the Sandusky posts any more? Did you not write that I don't read the Sandusky posts? I don't need to read countless posts to know the BOT, Sandusky, etc screwed PSU. I think that is so far beyond a proven point already. It's like you already beat the dead horse, it decayed and disappeared and you went back and beat the area where the carcass was. I'm not debating that point at all. So why are you telling me to DON'T CLICK ON IT WHEN THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I DO AND YOU SAID I DO. I DON'T READ THE VAST MAJORITY OF THREADS THAT DON'T INTEREST ME! It's like some sort of circular argument you are having with yourself. Do you yell at your dog to sit when he is already sitting? That's what your post basically said.

I asked a question? IS there less football talk then there has been? It sure as hell seems that way to me. Am I wrong? Is this board not dominated by Sandusky/BOT threads? Are there WAYYYY more OT posts then there used to be? I'm not talking just now but in general, even over of the course of the season. It sure seems that way to me. If you don't think so fine, but I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this. This board has evolved from a football board like it was in the plotit days to more of a free for all test/politics board with less emphasis on PSU football. That's fine by me as I visit the other boards as well and get most of my football info and chat from there.

I think its a combination of things (and remember this is JMO) but the new board format has turned off a lot of posters and it really is a slow time football wise. Maybe wait until July or at least when some of the kids get on campus and start practicing things will pick up. Hopefully.

I think its a combination of things (and remember this is JMO) but the new board format has turned off a lot of posters and it really is a slow time football wise. Maybe wait until July or at least when some of the kids get on campus and start practicing things will pick up. Hopefully.

Yeah I know it is slow period now but have you noticed a real drop off on this board in general? I'm not just talking now, but basically since Sandusky. I remember years ago it was all football talk during the week of games. The last few years see a handful of posts and that's it. It seems noticeable to me and now the board is just brutal during this time period. There doesn't seem to be less posts, but just less posts about football and way more posts about Sandusky and other OT posts. I understand the sandusky/BOT posts.

Yeah I know it is slow period now but have you noticed a real drop off on this board in general? I'm not just talking now, but basically since Sandusky. I remember years ago it was all football talk during the week of games. The last few years see a handful of posts and that's it. It seems noticeable to me and now the board is just brutal during this time period. There doesn't seem to be less posts, but just less posts about football and way more posts about Sandusky and other OT posts. I understand the sandusky/BOT posts.

I think its seems about right compared to other years regarding the non-football posts.
There might be more "news" events that are being talked about but right now they are pretty hot topics everywhere and we have a lot of posters that live in or around those areas that are "under fire".
Frankly I thought there would be more discussion of the Stanley cup series and the NBA finals. I for one am really enjoying the NBA fianls. (although last nights game was a bit ehhhh). but for the most part the playoffs and finals have been pretty good.

Let me add this as well. Its not any better on the pay board right now either so I'm thinking time of year is about 75% of the reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: fairgambit

You may recall that in 2012 PSU FOOTBALL got hammered by the NCAA because of Sandusky. We lost our coach, got another one for two years, lost him. We had sanctions which were an attempt to destroy our FOOTBALL program. Those are football-related topics, no avoiding it.

I do not really notice any extra "what kind of grill/car/dishwasher/vacation should I get" over what we used to have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT