ADVERTISEMENT

World Championships - Oct. 20-28

The beginning of Sadulaev’s Pitt move is called “I’m gonna overhook your arm from bottom.” Maybe Cenzo would be good at it?

Say what? I just watched it and the ref was in the perfect position to see the pin.
I don't watch much freestyle. On second look, it appears he sees the fall, looks around for two seconds, letting the action continue, and then slaps the met. Is that typical?

Yeah, I wouldn't call it a firemans. Moreso an elbow hook dump from front headlock.
Good name. To me “fireman’s” is all about having an opponent’s arm/armpit against your neck, which was not present in the Pitt move. Dump is better.

This is what Sadulaev used, with a better camera angle.

PS, who knew Snyder could be pinned with a Pitt move?

Similar, but not identical imho as Pitt wrestler locked onto both arms from get go and did "inside roll" (i.e., effectively did a "sit out" from underneath position after locking both arms and rolling into opponent - "inside roll") -- Sudalev initially controlled outside leg, then went opposite arm and did "inside roll" with outside leg and inside arm (releasing leg as he rolled through and exchanging it for other arm).

I do agree with whoever earlier said that the Russians picked something up from Snyder's earlier match (i.e., that he was susceptible to this inside roll when sprawling to fight of Hi-C or high single-leg). You could see Sudalev setting him up to believe he was focused on the leg...and then WHAM he went to that inside arm roll, which is a very simple move and you would never imagine that being a feet-to-back pinning combination at this level of wrestling!

I don't watch much freestyle. On second look, it appears he sees the fall, looks around for two seconds, letting the action continue, and then slaps the met. Is that typical?
Yes, in freestyle there is often a delayed fall call. They see it; slowly raise a hand; and then bring it down. It seems to be different from the folkstyle fall call.

Reactions: TangSoo
Hopefully this just serves to renew the drive and fire in Snyder. The kid's a champ, he'll figure it out. In other news, man it is NOT a good week to be a Buckeye fan!

Sadulaev did tech his way through the bracket to the finals. He looked much sharper and more focused than Snyder, who had an easier side of the bracket. Snyder's guy from American Somoa arguably shouldn't have been out there at Worlds. The Olympics will be different: only 16 total guys in the bracket who have all qualified. A much tougher road to hoe.

Reactions: tikk10
Good name. To me “fireman’s” is all about having an opponent’s arm/armpit against your neck, which was not present in the Pitt move. Dump is better.

Yea, definitely an "inside roll" where you are throwing your inside leg through in a "sit out" motion to clear your hips for the roll. On a Fireman's Carry or Dump/Barrel Roll, you're throwing/dumping your opponent to the outside off of you...pretty much the opposite of an "inside roll" where you're putting your hips through and rolling into your opponent.

Hoeing a road is always much tougher than hoeing a row, especially if the road is paved. That's why farmers prefer to plant in a freshly hoed row as opposed to a road.

Touché. I stand . . . sit, hoe, and even Peterson, fireman's carry, inside/dump/barrel roll . . . corrected. There is, however, a legitimate linguistic variant: "tough road to hold". My tired mind may have conflated the two expressions even if it quite possible to hoe a road. To wit:

1911-Man-hoeing-muddy-road-smooth-Yonge-Street-at-Davisville-Avenue.jpg

Interview with Sadulaev after the match with Snyder:

http://www.wrestrus.ru/news/Novosti...e_docheri_podarok_motivacija_i_otvetstvennost

Sadulaev: "I did not know how the match would go, but I started the match ready to fight till the end. I was ready to wrestle for all 6 minutes, but when I got the chance to finish the match earlier -- why not use it? ... It was very difficult for me this past year, so don't just look at the match that it ended quickly. I waited for this moment the entire year, and I have a hard time finding the right words now. But I say thank you, I am very happy."

You and Snyder were together in the warm up area for 2 days. Did you guys communicate?

We first saw each other in the hotel, we greeted each other, and wished one another success. After that we met on the mat.

Last time you wrestled you had few hours till the final only, now it was an entire day...

Today, I woke up, had breakfast and went to rest. Slept until noon, woke up and waited for the final match.

Recently, you had a daughter. Did you see her already?

I was in Moscow when I learned that I have a daughter. I have not seen her yet in person, did not feel any parental feelings yet, but I was very happy. Birth of my daughter -- it is such a gift, and also motivation, responsibility. I called my daughter Amina -- the mother of prophet Mohammad.

So, the win is for the daughter?

Well, before we boarded the plane, we agreed the wins are for Besik Kudukov. So its for him.

What are you next plans?

I have not been home for a long time, and now I have a daughter there. I will go home, relax, spend time with family, friends -- and then again, start preparing. Quite soon will be the Yarygin tournament and then 2019 is critical as the Olympic slots will start to be determined then. I already have experience with the Olympic Games.
What did you weigh today?

95kg. But I was ready for this worlds, so it doesn't matter what the weight scale shows. I know my opponents cut 5-6kg, but I am already used to the new weight class, feel good there, and I am ready to work more.

You won the worlds for a 3rd time. Are you thinking about setting records? You are only 22 after all...

Well, Karelin won it 9 times. 9! For me to reach this record, its like walking by foot to China. I don't think about records. I have people to aspire to, for instance Karelin wrestled at 4 Olympics and I am not even thinking about a 3rd one right now. Ahead of us -- world championships and second Olympics. So we will go forward in small steps.

Khabib Nurmagomedov is your friend and he won an important UFC fight this montn.

When Khabib was fighting, we were in a training camp. This was Sunday, rest day, so we sat in our rooms, watched and supported him. He also made Conor be responsible for his words. Many things were said about Khabib's Dad, our religion, and our country. I am using this opportunity to tell all athletes, from all sports: if you don't have a medal on your neck or a belt around your waist, don't talk so much trash, you will be sorry later.

Snyder also talked a lot about you, how you have bad coaches and improper training.

Before we left for Hungary, I saw one of his interviews, where he said I have bad coaches, who force me to wrestle in 97kg. As if I have not chance there and I cannot win against him. But one has to be responsible for their words. Kyle Snyder is a great competitor and opponent, Olympic champion. But lately, he was talking too much, and he got what he wanted. I want to tell Snyder and all others: I can be doubtful for many things, but not in my skills and my coaches. I hope I have closed this discussion forever and we don't have to talk about it again.

Your win -- is it a gift for Putin?

I know that last year Putin watched my match. I was so ashamed I lost...but this year I managed to win. You see, professional sport does not like long breaks. I want to tell everyone: I lost last year because I did a huge pause, too big. I was not ready fully for the tournament. The loss last year was useful at the end, as it motivated me greatly to train more. And now I am ready to show everyone my superiority.

Interview with Sadulaev after the match with Snyder:

Snyder also talked a lot about you, how you have bad coaches and improper training.

Before we left for Hungary, I saw one of his interviews, where he said I have bad coaches, who force me to wrestle in 97kg. As if I have not chance there and I cannot win against him. But one has to be responsible for their words. Kyle Snyder is a great competitor and opponent, Olympic champion. But lately, he was talking too much, and he got what he wanted. I want to tell Snyder and all others: I can be doubtful for many things, but not in my skills and my coaches. I hope I have closed this discussion forever and we don't have to talk about it again.

in my iron sheik voice.....I make you humble

I liked them. I'd have described them as "gold" as opposed to "piss-yellow."

I see yellow or a yellow/green. Almost brown.

But maybe they are supposed to be gold, but I don’t see it, maybe if they were metallic print. still begs the question for me...

Why not, ya know, Red, white and blue ?!

Poker, golf, billiards, NASCAR ... sports? No, I don't think so. Skills, yes. Skill-sish sports (or "Skorts")? Maybe ... maybe not. If you can drink a beer while you are doing it, it's not a sport.
I will say that if you can drink a beer while driving a car 180 mph, I am quite impressed. Agree, not sure I would consider it a sport. At least the NASCAR drivers are in good physical shape.

I guess if Golf is not a sport than baseball is also not a sport since you sit most of the time or stand out in the field (unless you are DH). Can you drink a beer? Just ask John Kruk…..

Football? Over 3 hours game time, and less than 15 minutes of actual action, of which no one plays it all (or even half). Guess that can’t be a sport either. Plenty of time for a beer (you should see my friends on the weekend).

Bummer, does that mean I have to start watching soccer? That can't be a sport. They don't even use their hands! ;)

A billion Chinese will be disappointed to learn that American colleges disqualified ping pong from the list of sports.

Ironic that for all the hand-wringing by anti-folkstyle crowd about how the US would be better off ditching folk for freestyle, Sadulaev beat Snyder on the mat in a position that guys with folkstyle backgrounds would be better suited to defend. But then Snyder has never really mat-wrestled, whether in folk or free because he never needed to. And, of course, he probably has even less experience fighting off his back (which brings IMar to mind). Anyway, folk backgrounds didn't hurt DT, Colon, Dake, Cox, or Gwiz this weekend, and Burroughs has always somehow managed to overcome it. And all the guys who didn't medal this weekend have medaled before. Hopefully the folkstyle-is-hurting us canard can finally be put to rest, though I'm sure it won't, so long as there's room for the goalposts to be moved.

Ironic that for all the hand-wringing by anti-folkstyle crowd about how the US would be better off ditching folk for freestyle, Sadulaev beat Snyder on the mat in a position that guys with folkstyle backgrounds would be better suited to defend. But then Snyder has never really mat-wrestled, whether in folk or free because he never needed to. And, of course, he probably has even less experience fighting off his back (which brings IMar to mind). Anyway, folk backgrounds didn't hurt DT, Colon, Dake, Cox, or Gwiz this weekend, and Burroughs has always somehow managed to overcome it. And all the guys who didn't medal this weekend have medaled before. Hopefully the folkstyle-is-hurting us canard can finally be put to rest, though I'm sure it won't, so long as there's room for the goalposts to be moved.
Can I get an Amen?!!

There are now 5 current or former world champs on our national team. I'm going to make a guess we've never had that before.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Plus, all of those regional training centers are being funded by folk style programs. But hey, Foley feels safer in Tehran than in an Iowa corn field.

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT