ADVERTISEMENT

Whiteout Game 2023?

We’ll see how the TV schedule goes since PSU seems inclined to keep it for night games. NBC will be carrying a Big Ten night game every week.

Why not the opener with West Virginia? It's a semi-elite non-con game early in the season?

We might be a top 10 team...and that alone could draw eyeballs. Plus, looking at our TV viewership numbers, PSU might not be in the elite tier anymore on the field...but we still are with TV eyeballs..."beast of the east" and the east has gazillions of TVs.

Iowa might suck next year. Ferentz is headed into a Paterno 2000-2004 situation over there...son is destroying program and he's digging in his heels against the fan base/media.

it is almost always late October but next year we have UMass and Indiana at home. Ouch. Then in Sept you have Iowa and Delaware. November you have UM (11th) and Rutgers (18th). Its probably too late in Nov. Its gotta be Iowa in late Sept. or Indian ain late October.

it is almost always late October but next year we have UMass and Indiana at home. Ouch. Then in Sept you have Iowa and Delaware. November you have UM (11th) and Rutgers (18th). Its probably too late in Nov. Its gotta be Iowa in late Sept. or Indian ain late October.
It’s hard to consider that Indiana is a “big enough” game to be a whiteout.

I predict Penn State - West Virginia will be the WhiteOut game, & very possibly a night game as-well!

It's not. They either will fire their coach after this year or after we beat them down next year.

With his buyouts they're not firing him before the 2024 season ends. They'd owe him 20 million if they let him go after next year.

Iowa looks like the clear frontrunner. West Virginia wouldn't surprise me since we now know non-con White Out isn't without precedent. I'd prefer Iowa and keep it in conference. The only other realistic option is Indiana 🤢

With his buyouts they're not firing him before the 2024 season ends. They'd owe him 20 million if they let him go after next year.
Not so sure of that especially if he goes another 0 fer in the B10 next year. That would mean they won 1 B10 game in 3 years. I think he gone then after '23.

Both teams have to agree on a November night game and no way that would happen.
That is indeed the current rule under the current TV deal but will almost certainly go away as of next season. With the new TV contract, there’s going to be a night game on NBC every week. I doubt the NBC is willing to have schools have veto power

Reactions: NedFromYork
Perhaps there’s an angle that says you don’t have to have a white out game every year. Save it for key matchups and if the schedule does not provide one, you wait. Keep the event for marquee games only, don’t cheapen it…..

Perhaps there’s an angle that says you don’t have to have a white out game every year. Save it for key matchups and if the schedule does not provide one, you wait. Keep the event for marquee games only, don’t cheapen it…..
Bite your tongue!

Iowa it is!

November 11 is not that late. Look at the weather for this weekend 60°, Michigan shouldn’t have a say

Not it necessarily impacts this at all, but I wonder what will be the Homecoming game next year. UMass is smack in the right timeframe on Oct 14 and historically teams try to make homecoming opponents "cupcakes" though PSU hasn't had an option that easy in a long time. Failing them, if PSU wants a "better" game, it would almost certainly be Indiana on Oct 28.

Curious to see if the new TV deal still requires Homecoming game times to be announced in advance of the season - I suspect those games will be as it is a relatively small concession from the networks and really helpful for the schools to plan activities for those weekends.

November 11 is not that late. Look at the weather for this weekend 60°, Michigan shouldn’t have a say
makes sense but the weather gets iffy. If it ends up being 40 degrees, good luck with people wearing white t-shirts. A lot of the effect will be lost if people have to put on their Carhartt and Canada Goose coats. That date comes with heightened risk

75b2bfaf7f3d67857e9c916eff82645c.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT