ADVERTISEMENT

Where we stand with Recruits 12/30/15

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
I don't know if it is the holiday spirit getting into me or if we are just getting down to the end of the recruiting season and Jimmy is closing in on his targets but this is the most positive update I have posted in months. Let's start with arguably the biggest name out there and certainly the most talked about Damar Hamlin. I have moved him back up to the top category because I believe that ND was previously in the poll position and with them out I think it is finally Penn State's turn to be number 1 with Damar. I think for a long time we have been number 2 even as number 1 with him kept rotating between OSU, Pitt, and ND. I've always maintained that him being in the commits photo back at the Lasch Bash was huge and hopefully I will be right. I think the consistency of our place within his recruiting and the fact that Pitt just can't overcome some of its own deficiencies that we win out here (look at the tweet below to show how impressed he was with their bowl defense). Now I don't think he will commit on the 22nd when he visits because he has a scheduled OV with Pitt on the 29th but Pitt fans are very fond of reminding us that he was at every home game and a number of practices this season and what are they going to show him that they haven't already. Plus the 22nd is when nearly all of our other top targets and commits will be on campus and all that star power will be a quite bit more tempting then what he'll see in Oakland on the 29th.

Khaleke Hudson also makes his return to Commit Watch. I think he will commit on the 22nd when he visits as well. It appears that any damage that was done when we supposedly told him he couldn't commit a while back has been repaired and a number of Crystal Balls that him going to WVU have been switched back to PSU and I would expect more to follow. The new entry to the entire board is Aaron Mathews. A skilled athlete who could end up at a number of positions. This is a great stick-it-to-you to Pitt and is as good as flip from their current commit list as we are probably going to get this class. Rumor is he has a gf that goes to Penn State and that he has been waiting for this offer for some time. I expect him to commit with Hudson on the 22nd. No matter what some posters on this board will tell you there is more to his offer than he can just play, and trust me if you've seen his film you will agree he CAN play, but there really is something to building a relationship with the coaches at some of the football factory high schools of PA and the psychological impact of getting 12 of the top 15 prospects in the state in a given cycle. That is Ohio State over Ohio level of domination. Before you can offer a kid for those reasons though you must believe in him also and this staff does. It will be a pleasure to have Aaron come to Penn State.

Possibly the best player I expect to commit on the 22nd when he visits is Brendan Ferns. I really like the work the staff has put in with him since his high school season has ended. As far as I can find he has not yet set an OV to WVU. If he comes to Happy Valley without one scheduled on the 22nd then you can be all but sure he will leave as a commit to Penn State.

The last big target that I think we can get but am unsure of at the moment is Nixon. He said recently "It’s actually been going on since my sophomore year, so I’m ready for it to end. It’s just a fluid situation for me. I have no idea when I’m going to decide now. If I get real comfortable with a school once recruiting stops, I may commit (in December). But most likely it will come down to two schools and I’ll visit them in January." I believe those two schools at this point to be Florida and Penn State. Florida wasn't in the picture over the summer but is now and could be the home state favorite. Franklin and Gattis have been all over Tre and I hope it has been enough. Getting him to Happy Valley on the 22nd would be huge.

Jordan Fuller is definitely still on the table and recently was named by Miles Sanders as one of his top targets along with Tre Nixon. Jordan has already taken an OV to ND and recently said "My focus has gotten smaller. They change every day, pretty much. It's tough. But we're discussing between Ohio State, Penn State, Virginia Tech, Michigan and Rutgers."

One potential flip is Kyzir White a JUCO S who is committed to WVU.

Commit Watch:
4* CB Hamlin, 4* LB Ferns, 3* S Hudson, 3* ATH Mathews

Very Good Chance:
4* WR Nixon

In The Battle:
4* ATH Fuller

Work Left To Do:
3* ATH Wint, 3* G Valentin, JC DT Chavis

Have To Get Really Lucky:
5* DT Gary, 4* DE Smith, 4* OT Williams, 4* OG Davis, 4* WR Corley, 4/3* OLB Hansford

Former Interest:
3* OT Niang

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none), and Former Interest(players that Penn State was previously interested in that most likely no longer have committable offers).

Last edited:
Sounds like Miles Sanders has a good feeling on Nixon at the UA game. I like that.

Q's:
  1. Wasn't there just a recent article where Hansford was talking about PSU?
  2. I thought I read that Kyzir White was attending on 1/22. If so it sounds like he is "very good chance". He is definitely in play and should be on list.
  3. Wint should be on the list. The staff made a point to get involved with him and he has now pretty much restarted his recruitment, although most believe he ends up at oh-high-ya...

Last edited:
I don't know if it is the holiday spirit getting into me or if we are just getting down to the end of the recruiting season and Jimmy is closing in on his targets but this is the most positive update I have posted in months. Let's start with arguably the biggest name out there and certainly the most talked about Damar Hamlin. I have moved him back up to the top category because I believe that ND was previously in the poll position and with them out I think it is finally Penn State's turn to be number 1 with Damar. I think for a long time we have been number 2 even as number 1 with him kept rotating between OSU, Pitt, and ND. I've always maintained that him being in the commits photo back at the Lasch Bash was huge and hopefully I will be right. I think the consistency of our place within his recruiting and the fact that Pitt just can't overcome some of its own deficiencies that we win out here (look at the tweet below to show how impressed he was with their bowl defense). Now I don't think he will commit on the 22nd when he visits because he has a scheduled OV with Pitt on the 29th but Pitt fans are very fond of reminding us that he was at every home game and a number of practices this season and what are they going to show him that they haven't already. Plus the 22nd is when nearly all of our other top targets and commits will be on campus and all that star power will be a quite bit more tempting then what he'll see in Oakland on the 29th.

Khaleke Hudson also makes his return to Commit Watch. I think he will commit on the 22nd when he visits as well. It appears that any damage that was done when we supposedly told him he couldn't commit a while back has been repaired and a number of Crystal Balls that him going to WVU have been switched back to PSU and I would expect more to follow. The new entry to the entire board is Aaron Mathews. A skilled athlete who could end up at a number of positions. This is a great stick-it-to-you to Pitt and is as good as flip from their current commit list as we are probably going to get this class. Rumor is he has a gf that goes to Penn State and that he has been waiting for this offer for some time. I expect him to commit with Hudson on the 22nd. No matter what some posters on this board will tell you there is more to his offer than he can just play, and trust me if you've seen his film you will agree he CAN play, but there really is something to building a relationship with the coaches at some of the football factory high schools of PA and the psychological impact of getting 12 of the top 15 prospects in the state in a given cycle. That is Ohio State over Ohio level of domination. Before you can offer a kid for those reasons though you must believe in him also and this staff does. It will be a pleasure to have Aaron come to Penn State.

Possibly the best player I expect to commit on the 22nd when he visits is Brendan Ferns. I really like the work the staff has put in with him since his high school season has ended. As far as I can find he has not yet set an OV to WVU. If he comes to Happy Valley without one scheduled on the 22nd then you can be all but sure he will leave as a commit to Penn State.

The last big target that I think we can get but am unsure of at the moment is Nixon. He said recently "It’s actually been going on since my sophomore year, so I’m ready for it to end. It’s just a fluid situation for me. I have no idea when I’m going to decide now. If I get real comfortable with a school once recruiting stops, I may commit (in December). But most likely it will come down to two schools and I’ll visit them in January." I believe those two schools at this point to be Florida and Penn State. Florida wasn't in the picture over the summer but is now and could be the home state favorite. Franklin and Gattis have been all over Tre and I hope it has been enough. Getting him to Happy Valley on the 22nd would be huge.

Jordan Fuller is definitely still on the table and recently was named by Miles Sanders as one of his top targets along with Tre Nixon. Jordan has already taken an OV to ND and recently said "My focus has gotten smaller. They change every day, pretty much. It's tough. But we're discussing between Ohio State, Penn State, Virginia Tech, Michigan and Rutgers."

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:
4* WR Nixon

In The Battle:
4* ATH Fuller

Work Left To Do:
3* G Valentin, JC DT Chavis

5* DT Gary, 4* DE Smith, 4* OT Williams, 4* OG Davis, 4* WR Corley, 4/3* OLB Hansford

Former Interest:
3* OT Niang

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none), and Former Interest(players that Penn State was previously interested in that most likely no longer have committable offers).
I want to thank you again, bmw199, for your updates this past year. As I've said before, I don't spend any money on recruiting information. Everything I get is from this Board, and your information is generally the most detailed and accurate. I know it must take a lot of your time and I know I am not alone in appreciating all you do.

Q's:
  1. Wasn't there just a recent article where Hansford was talking about PSU?
  2. I thought I read that Kyzir White was attending on 1/22. If so it sounds like he is "very good chance". He is definitely in play and should be on list.
  3. Wint should be on the list. The staff made a point to get involved with him and he has now pretty much restarted his recruitment, although most believe he ends up at oh-high-ya...
1. In his interview he didn't name us. In a follow up he said he was considering an unofficial visit bc he is out of OVs. He had like 7 schools in front of us. He's not coming to Penn State.
2. I don't normally include commited prospects on the list even if they are flip potential.
3. You're right that Wint should be on the list, I didn't have access to my running list at work tonight that I added him too. But he's not likely at all as he is Ohio State bound. I'll add him.

I want to thank you again, bmw199, for your updates this past year. As I've said before, I don't spend any money on recruiting information. Everything I get is from this Board, and your information is generally the most detailed and accurate. I know it must take a lot of your time and I know I am not alone in appreciating all you do.
Thank you for the kind words. I used to gather it just for my own knowledge. Sharing it with everyone, who is likewise interested, is fun. I enjoy the conversation it generally starts.

I think we end the class with Tre Nixon (offers from PSU, Alabama, Florida, FSU, ND, OSU, Tex A&M, Auburn, Georgia, etc), Brendan Ferns (offers from PSU, Georgia, ND, OSU, Okla, Stanford, USC, Tex A&M, etc), Khaleke Hudson (offers from PSU, Michigan, UCLA, MSU, Wisc, Neb, etc) and Kyzir White (4 star JUCO safety).

I think Damar Hamlin is all mixed up with the Pitt mess. They get their one mercy rule recruit with a PSU offer per year.

Reactions: m48tank
Ferns is the #1 priority IMO. Hansford would be a bonus. Hudson OK but I'm not as excited.

Hamlin & Fuller are good athletes so I'd be happy if we get one of them.

I'd be surprised if we get Nixon. OK if we do, no big deal if we dont. We have a lot of WRs right now.

Wint is a 2* but has an OSU offer. Matthews will probably commit but do we need him?

Let's say we get Ferns, Hudson, Hampton or Fuller, and Matthews. That's 22 assuming we don't lose anybody. I'd be happy with 21 and save the scholarship for next year. Unless we could get Chavis, but the board seems to think his grades aren't good enough.

Ferns is the #1 priority IMO. Hansford would be a bonus. Hudson OK but I'm not as excited.

I'd be surprised if we get Nixon. OK if we do, no big deal if we dont. We have a lot of WRs right now.

Wint is a 2* but has an OSU offer. Matthews will probably commit but do we need him?

Let's say we get Ferns, Hudson, Hampton or Fuller, and Matthews. That's 22 assuming we don't lose anybody. I'd be happy with 21 and save the scholarship for next year. Unless we could get Chavis, but the board seems to think his grades aren't good enough.

I think we have best shot at Nixon of the HS kids.

Should have added Matthews to the above post, he'll end up in the class as well.

I think we end the class with Tre Nixon (offers from PSU, Alabama, Florida, FSU, ND, OSU, Tex A&M, Auburn, Georgia, etc), Brendan Ferns (offers from PSU, Georgia, ND, OSU, Okla, Stanford, USC, Tex A&M, etc), Khaleke Hudson (offers from PSU, Michigan, UCLA, MSU, Wisc, Neb, etc) and Kyzir White (4 star JUCO safety).

I think Damar Hamlin is all mixed up with the Pitt mess. They get their one mercy rule recruit with a PSU offer per year.

I don't see Hamlin going to pitt, even if we don't get him. He has been making fun of the pitt crowds and game day atmosphere for 2 years. But I hate to see Western PA kids go to oh-high-ya...

Some here are not excited about Hudson, but he is a football player and if he immediately goes on our coverage kicks they will be improved.

If the coaches are looking for a JC Safety, great. From what I know I'd much rather have a JC DT. But they have to go after talent as they see it andWhite must be a very good player if he is to come in and break into the rotation with Allen, Golden, and Apke having lots of experience, plus Munroe, Miller and Petrishen also looking for playing time. And Pryts coming in as a true frosh. Maybe Miller or Petrishen grow into a coverage LB.....

If by some chance Hansford drives up for the Jan 22nd event, that puts him at 50-50 to us in my opinion.... But I don't see CJF taking Ferns, Hudson and Handsford, but they are all great prospects and Hudson can play lots of positions (LB,S,RB...)

Awesome work as always. Agreed that we seem to have some momentum all of the sudden and hopefully that continues after a nice bowl win into the Jan 22 weekend

Reactions: fairgambit

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:
4* WR Nixon

In The Battle:
4* ATH Fuller

Work Left To Do:

Former Interest:
3* OT Niang

Lol...I appreciate your efforts. However, it is hysterical that you act as though anything I say or you say on this board, influences a recruit. I think our coaches have the recruiting covered. However, if you want to take some credit for it...have at it...Lmao.

Lol...I appreciate your efforts. However, it is hysterical that you act as though anything I say or you say on this board, influences a recruit. I think our coaches have the recruiting covered. However, if you want to take some credit for it...have at it...Lmao.
How's that?

Reactions: LionJim

we have missed on DTs for essentially the last 4-5 years. we need a couple DTs that look like Devon Still, DaQuan Jones, Austin Johnson, Jay Alford, etc. We need BIG run stuffers who can play NT/DT and play at an impact level in 2016. we don't need some DT that needs to redshirt and sit bench and physically develop for 3-4 years because they are not mature enough to play. we are currently stuck turning the larger DEs into DTs, which is like making wines - years in development. next year DEF will be markedly weaker at stopping the interior run unless we get this fixed. last year we were 99% to get Christian Wilkins and who is a regular player for Clemson (who wasn't even recruiting him that anyone knew of). hopefully we get a Juco or big 4* DT in this class who can play next fall.

we have missed on DTs for essentially the last 4-5 years. we need a couple DTs that look like Devon Still, DaQuan Jones, Austin Johnson, Jay Alford, etc. We need BIG run stuffers who can play NT/DT and play at an impact level in 2016. we don't need some DT that needs to redshirt and sit bench and physically develop for 3-4 years because they are not mature enough to play. we are currently stuck turning the larger DEs into DTs, which is like making wines - years in development. next year DEF will be markedly weaker at stopping the interior run unless we get this fixed. last year we were 99% to get Christian Wilkins and who is a regular player for Clemson (who wasn't even recruiting him that anyone knew of). hopefully we get a Juco or big 4* DT in this class who can play next fall.

I agree with what you said about missing on some big DT's the last few years and if Johnson leaves we will have a big hole up the middle front with AZ and Barney also leaving. Barney was the strongest kid on the team and a good backup this year.

But by next year White will be a big kid, over 300lbs, and Cothren is already 300. Add in Windsor who will be close to 300 next year, and Bucholz and Carter and we have a decent nucleas. But it would be impossible to replace the 3 above coming out of the sanctions.

There is the possibility that Jordan and/or Dioubate, both highly rated DT's at around 280lbs now, could play as true frosh as well. Unless we get a JC kid it does not look like there will be additional DT's for the rotation next year.

Some here still believe either Dowrey or Gaia will move back to DT for 2016, but I'm in the camp that believes one of them may not even come back for 2016 and that whoever comes back from the two will stay on the OL.

It will be a couple years before we can be consistently strong up the middle at DT due to the misses in recruiting as well as the reduced numbers of upper classmen now due to the sanctions.

Who is Aaron Mathews? I dont see him on the Pitt Comittment List?
Just looked him up, I see he's from Clairton. That school just like Aliquippa seems to have an "attitude" problem with Penn State? Willing to bet in the end he'll end up at Pitt. It's amazing that a player's high school would have this kind of control vs the kid and his parents? But we see it all the time.

Matthews has been very vocal about wanting to go to PSU but he also wants to play WR. Pitt has been recruiting him as a defender. To this point, Toledo is the only school offering him a chance to play at wide out. Don't know if the PSU offer changed that. I would be extremely surprised if he didn't commit shortly after his visit to you guys.

Just looked him up, I see he's from Clairton. That school just like Aliquippa seems to have an "attitude" problem with Penn State? Willing to bet in the end he'll end up at Pitt. It's amazing that a player's high school would have this kind of control vs the kid and his parents? But we see it all the time.

do not understand this problem. every player in Ohio wants to play for tOSU before UC, Toledo, BG, OU, etc. OSU is the state team. it seems that PSU should be the same to PA players. in modern times PSU is the only team to have played at an elite national level. players in Georgia want to play for the Dawgs, not Georgia Northern. there is no existing program in the state that matches PSU.

now maybe a player just wants to play walking distance to where they grew up so will chose to play for Nova. for top players this is not normal.

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:
4* WR Nixon

In The Battle:
4* ATH Fuller

Work Left To Do:

Former Interest:
3* OT Niang

Like some others, I appreciate your updates. I will say that my belated wish for a Christmas Miracle is for Rashan Gary to sit down with his mom and say, "You know, I really think Penn State is the best choice for me.....I'm going to be a Nittany Lion!" and for his mom to break into tears of joy, so happy that her son has come to his senses, as she has been hoping for this for over a year.

Wow, that eggnog was STOUT!!!

Reactions: bmw199
If the coaches are looking for a JC Safety, great. From what I know I'd much rather have a JC DT. But they have to go after talent as they see it andWhite must be a very good player if he is to come in and break into the rotation with Allen, Golden, and Apke having lots of experience, plus Munroe, Miller and Petrishen also looking for playing time. And Pryts coming in as a true frosh. Maybe Miller or Petrishen grow into a coverage LB.....
Just a thought, and I know some people aren't going to like this, but White could be almost a trade up on Malik Golden. Maybe if White flips to Penn State then Malik isn't offered a 5th year. Or maybe Franklin already knows he won't be bringing Golden back. IDK, just thinking out loud. Granted I know that not bringing 5th years back for some is a big no-no but I really doubt that many will be back this year.

Just a thought, and I know some people aren't going to like this, but White could be almost a trade up on Malik Golden. Maybe if White flips to Penn State then Malik isn't offered a 5th year. Or maybe Franklin already knows he won't be bringing Golden back. IDK, just thinking out loud. Granted I know that not bringing 5th years back for some is a big no-no but I really doubt that many will be back this year.

I'm assuming the fact the White is still in play means he is not enrolling until summer, correct?

We already have Apke, Mc.Allen, Campbell, Oruwariye, J. Miller, Monroe, and Petrishen. What makes you think that White would play ahead of these guys of Golden foregoes his 5th year?

We already have Apke, Mc.Allen, Campbell, Oruwariye, J. Miller, Monroe, and Petrishen. What makes you think that White would play ahead of these guys of Golden foregoes his 5th year?
Well, certainly not in front of Allen, with Allen. But maybe Franklin is looking for someone with more experience for this year. Some of those guys are still corners.

Well, certainly not in front of Allen, with Allen. But maybe Franklin is looking for someone with more experience for this year. Some of those guys are still corners.
I like our returning DB's but don't love them. IMO we need one more really good player back there to join Allen, Reid and Haley. Maybe the staff views White as that guy. He can play CB or S so that makes him valuable. I think the question for our secondary is whether or not Golden, Apke and Campbell are good enough to be every down players or do they just provide depth? If the former then not sure White is critical. If the latter then I think we need him. The fact that the staff seems to really want this kid leads me to believe they view him as an upgrade. Would also add that Farmer and Taylor are wild cards. Those kids have the size and speed to be impact players.

Reactions: bmw199

Allen is a starter at Safety.
But White having more experience than Apke and Golden??? JC experience is not the same as B10 experience. Think about Paris Palmer.

Monroe was getting rave reviews, and Miller and Petrishen also have a year of practice. And Pryts is on the way. Maybe Miller or Petrishen are LB size now....? Maybe White is a special teams terror. If he comes to PSU we'll know next year......

Last edited:

Jordan Hill, DaQuan Jones and Austin Johnson were not considered big-time recruits. They became very
good players because of hard work(and probably our new s&c program.) We've already recruited prospects as good as them; A. White, Buchholz, Windsor, Jordan and Dioubate. They're prob a year away though. And, we
were never 99pct to get Wilkins. Nobody had a good read on him because he wasn't talking to the
recruiting pimps You develop DT's, there are rarely any in the country capable of doing what you want.

Any insight as to why we have struggled in NJ this year compared to last year? Are we making any inroads for future years?

Any insight as to why we have struggled in NJ this year compared to last year? Are we making any inroads for future years?

I think a lot of it is position driven. 4 of the top 10 players are WR's, a position we have done very well with. Also Harbaugh hired the coach of powerhouse Paramus Catholic as his recruiting coordinator which really helped their presence. Fuller would be a great surprise to wrap up the year

Here is a fixed list

In the Battle
4* CB Hamlin, 4* LB Ferns, 3* S Hudson, 3* ATH Mathews 4* WR Nixon 4* ATH Fuller, 4/3* OLB Hansford

Jordan Hill, DaQuan Jones and Austin Johnson were not considered big-time recruits. They became very
good players because of hard work(and probably our new s&c program.) We've already recruited prospects as good as them; A. White, Buchholz, Windsor, Jordan and Dioubate. They're prob a year away though. And, we
were never 99pct to get Wilkins. Nobody had a good read on him because he wasn't talking to the
recruiting pimps You develop DT's, there are rarely any in the country capable of doing what you want.
Add to those (and I realize he's a big time outlier) Carl Nassib, who wasn't recruited at all. I have a feeling that his example will really inspire those with a hunger to succeed. It sure can't hurt.

NJ can be a weird state to recruit. With no home state school that dominates it is generally a free for all and then there are some big football high schools that have fan boy coaches that direct their kids to particular colleges, years where there schools have multiple big time recruits normally end up with that fan boys school dominating. This year Michigan really dominated Jersey after hiring Partridge as recruiting coordinator, but looking ahead to next year we are in great shape with the top 2, OT Micah Clark and DT Fred Hansard. Hansard could be a commit here soon. Also, expect Fries to climb the rankings and be a 4* before the final rankings are done this year.

Here is a fixed list

In the Battle
4* CB Hamlin, 4* LB Ferns, 3* S Hudson, 3* ATH Mathews 4* WR Nixon 4* ATH Fuller, 4/3* OLB Hansford
2vDz7.png

Yeah, you want that line -->
BsMtqleCUAAVX1W.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT